Gavin and Stacey

sadoldgit

I haven't seen it, but there are plenty of things that other people find funny that I don't and vice versa. I have never understood what's even supposed to be funny in Mrs Brown's Boys. It's either very clever and going over my head or it's utterly moronic and appeals to halfwits. However, the average episode of Would I Lie to You has me laughing throughout, but I'm sure there are people on whom it's lost.

never seen a minute of the show until the other night (after it being endlessly plugged on the BBC)

thought it was alright. Not amazing or anything like that.

It was belly-aching, LOL hilarious compared to Mrs Brown's Boys though - which is f-ing dreadful

I've literally never watched a minute of it. My mum likes it which is normally a good barometer for what isn't funny. She loved the miranda Hart show for example and that's the least funny thing that's ever been on TV.

Miranda Hart - horrible TV.

I quote like - would I lie to you

over xmas, thought the Xmas Carol was good.

Human beings in having different tastes in comedy shocker...

Of course they do, it’s just that shows like Gavin and Stacey and Mrs Browns Boys pull in massive viewing figures and get lots of column inches and yet I find both shows to be completely unfunny. I doesn’t take much to make me laugh so I am not hard to please. You’d think that Gavin and Stacey was the new Fawlty Towers the way the media have fawned over the new show. Perhaps it is and I have missed something?

I had a think about it the other day and I realised that almost every comedy I enjoy came out years ago. Blackadder, Alan partridge, Red dwarf, brass Eye, the office, father Ted, fawlty towers, even middle of the road stuff like coupling, the Royle family and early seasons of my family raised a smile. Maybe I'm just getting old but I haven't seen much at all in the last decade coming out of the UK apart from peep show and that started in 2003.

Maybe we are just too worried now about proper representation or cultural sensitivity rather than making something that's actually amusing. I should add I thought fleabag was well done but it wasn't funny in the slightest.

Edited by hypochondriac

I had a think about it the other day and I realised that almost every comedy I enjoy came out years ago. Blackadder, Alan partridge, Red dwarf, the office, fawlty towers, even middle of the road stuff like coupling, the Royle family and early seasons of my family raised a smile. Maybe I'm just getting old but I haven't seen much at all in the last decade coming out of the UK. Maybe we are just too worried now about proper representation or cultural sensitivity rather than making something that's actually amusing.

A bit derivative in places (with its The Office influences) but People Just Do Nothing was good.

Greatest comedy of all time is clearly OFAH, that is just absolute genius and nothing comes close to it.

I actually like Gavin & Stacey but it does seem to be fashionable across the last couple of days to not like it. Suppose 11.6 million people can’t all be wrong.

A lot of stuff seems funnier looking back and just doesn't work as well seeing it new now. My kids are 12 and 14 and love WILTY and The Office, but they just couldn't understand why I liked Fawlty Towers, and I have to admit, that style of comedy did look dated and probably wouldn't have the same impact if it was new now. I've shown some Blackadder to my classes, afetr teaching about British history and even that can seem hit and miss, especially the earlier series.

The thing is, I can remember my dad enthusiastically showing me comedy stuff that he'd loved when he was younger and it was the same problem. I could see where the jokes were, but they just felt dated and unfunny. What we find funny often depends on our own reference points.

Greatest comedy of all time is clearly OFAH, that is just absolute genius and nothing comes close to it.

I actually like Gavin & Stacey but it does seem to be fashionable across the last couple of days to not like it. Suppose 11.6 million people can’t all be wrong.

You see, I always thought Only Fools and Horses was just a pretty average sitcom with just a couple of decent laughs per episode, but I know that it was hugely popular back then. In the same era, I hated Allo Allo, Hi de Hi and Bread, but they were huge hits too. I loved The Good Life, but I bet that it wouldn't even raise a smile nowadays.

You see, I always thought Only Fools and Horses was just a pretty average sitcom with just a couple of decent laughs per episode, but I know that it was hugely popular back then. In the same era, I hated Allo Allo, Hi de Hi and Bread, but they were huge hits too. I loved The Good Life, but I bet that it wouldn't even raise a smile nowadays.
The good life is alright for a gentle chuckle. Similar with dad's army. I've always found open all hours and porridge to be dreadfully unfunny.

I’ve never really watched G&S but my sister was just sat next to me watching an episode on her laptop and as a comedy it completely passed me by. Even stuff I find appalling like Miranda, I can sort of see where the jokes are and why some people might enjoy it but G&S I just can’t see it. Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and it’s just supposed to be a light hearted romantic drama.

I’ve never really watched G&S but my sister was just sat next to me watching an episode on her laptop and as a comedy it completely passed me by. Even stuff I find appalling like Miranda, I can sort of see where the jokes are and why some people might enjoy it but G&S I just can’t see it. Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and it’s just supposed to be a light hearted romantic drama.
I watched Rob brydon in some stuff once and saw him live and he was pretty funny. Is he any good in it?

I don't think Gavin & Stacey is played out for laugh a minute. It's gentle comedic observance of real life including its trials and tribulations. It's basically real life. We laugh, we cry, we get bored, we get excited.

Remember the final scenes of Blackadder, Friends etc - they were poignant and tear jerking, but they were still great comedies.

I don't think Gavin & Stacey is played out for laugh a minute. It's gentle comedic observance of real life including its trials and tribulations. It's basically real life. We laugh, we cry, we get bored, we get excited.

Remember the final scenes of Blackadder, Friends etc - they were poignant and tear jerking, but they were still great comedies.

Friends in the same sentence as Blackadder, especially the final scene from Blackadder Goes Forth? Jesus wept.

Friends in the same sentence as Blackadder, especially the final scene from Blackadder Goes Forth? Jesus wept.

I find people are generally quite snobby about Friends, but frankly, I think it was pretty consistently entertaining. Not a cool thing to say, but it was very well written. I also love Blackadder in all its forms, but a lot of the humour was pretty broad too, in between the moments of genius.

I also loved Cheers, which occupied the Friends slot on TV until it ended, but I found Frasier incredibly dull and two dimensional, despite the huge popularity.

I find people are generally quite snobby about Friends, but frankly, I think it was pretty consistently entertaining. Not a cool thing to say, but it was very well written. I also love Blackadder in all its forms, but a lot of the humour was pretty broad too, in between the moments of genius.

I also loved Cheers, which occupied the Friends slot on TV until it ended, but I found Frasier incredibly dull and two dimensional, despite the huge popularity.

My kids can quote Friends all day long. Given that is is on all of the time that is not surprising. It is the one thing that we all agree is funny.

We still discuss Blackadder and disagree on which was best. For me 3, 2, 4, 1

2, 4, 3 and 1 but the last episode of 4 was best by a country mile. The first series wasn’t really Blackadder as we understand it. It was Atkinson’s project if I remember correctly but didn’t go down to well until it was rescued by Curtis and Elton from series 2 onwards.

Probably where I went wrong too. Although disliking James Corden also probably has helped.

Well we can agree there. I know someone who was an itv showrunner for a decade. He said of all the celebs he had ever met cordon was the most entitled and rudest. A complete cockwomble by all accounts.

Can’t claim any ITK insight into Corden but I saw a behind the scenes feature of a movie he was in (think it may have been Three Musketeers). Among a collection of attractive Hollywood A-listers he didn’t half try hard to play up to his loveable, cheery, fat-boy persona.

As for Blackadder - 2, 4, 3, 1 IMO. Love Miranda Richardson’s portrayal of QE1 and Patsy Byrne’s Nursey. Also Rik Mayal just stole every scene he was in in 2 and 4 IMO.

Also Rik Mayal just stole every scene he was in in 2 and 4 IMO.

The Young Ones was must watch TV in the early eighties. Cutting edge and each episode was relived at school the next day. I haven't seen it since, but I have a terrible feeling it would be awful viewed through 2019 eyes.

Back in the 80’s we were told that comedy was the new rock and roll. It seems now to have just been absorbed into the generality of light entertainment in the main. Still, perhaps the new series of Spitting Image will bring back a bit of bite.

Just cos a load of boring old bastards on here don’t find anything to laugh at does not indicate there is an issue with comedy

It’s actually quite refreshing that people find Miranda, Mrs Brown’s boys & Gavin & Stacey a load of pony. I’d add Little Britain, That ****ing idiot Reeves, young ones & Absolutely Fabulous to that list of trash. As for the new open all hours, wtf is David Jason playing at....

Curb your enthusiasm.

Phoenix Nights

Fawlty Towers

Early Doors

Royal Family

Cheers

Steptoe

My favourites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just cos a load of boring old bastards on here don’t find anything to laugh at does not indicate there is an issue with comedy
Tbf a lot of comedians say similar. Social media and the threat of cancel culture have had a dumbing down effect and its left for superstars from ages ago like dave chapelle or US shows like its always funny in philadelphia to push back against this sort of culture.

It’s actually quite refreshing that people find Miranda, Mrs Brown’s boys & Gavin & Stacey a load of pony. I’d add Little Britain, That ****ing idiot Reeves, young ones & Absolutely Fabulous to that list of trash. As for the new open all hours, wtf is David Jason playing at....

Curb your enthusiasm.

Phoenix Nights

Fawlty Towers

Early Doors

Royal Family

Cheers

Steptoe

My favourites.

Surely didn’t mean to omit Til Death Us Do Part?

I remember circa 2003 when we had Never Mind the Buzzcocks followed by Little Britain on BBC2. Back when both were still good (before Lamarr left and the first two series of LB). Same era as Phoenix Nights and the second series of I’m Alan Partridge.

Probably half the reason I never did my homework.

I remember circa 2003 when we had Never Mind the Buzzcocks followed by Little Britain on BBC2. Back when both were still good (before Lamarr left and the first two series of LB). Same era as Phoenix Nights and the second series of I’m Alan Partridge.

Probably half the reason I never did my homework.

I've never been a fan of little Britain but you also had the office over that period, coupling and the start of peep show. Infinitely better than any UK comedy over the last decade.

Curb your enthusiasm.

Phoenix Nights

Fawlty Towers

Early Doors

Royal Family

Cheers

Steptoe

My favourites.

I’ve met Vic Reeves a few times as he is a friend of a neighbour and has been at some local functions. Very hard to make conversation with and nothing like his on screen persona. A bit of a **** in fact. His wife is much more engaging (and very fit too).

never seen a minute of the show until the other night (after it being endlessly plugged on the BBC)

thought it was alright. Not amazing or anything like that.

It was belly-aching, LOL hilarious compared to Mrs Brown's Boys though - which is f-ing dreadful

This. Finally BBC put a comedy on Christmas Day prime time that isn't MBB - and it shows with the highest ratings in years. I'm not sure where they go from here though, they'll be wanting to repeat the feat with another big old comedy. The Office? Although I suspect they'll waggle more money under Corden and Jones's nose.

Curb your enthusiasm.

Phoenix Nights

Fawlty Towers

Early Doors

Royal Family

Cheers

Steptoe

My favourites.

Early doors ... much under rated.

I’ve met Vic Reeves a few times as he is a friend of a neighbour and has been at some local functions. Very hard to make conversation with and nothing like his on screen persona. A bit of a **** in fact. His wife is much more engaging (and very fit too).

I’ve always felt Reeves was just dining out on being that surreal bloke from Shooting Stars, without actually doing anything funny or original since them. Don’t get me wrong, I loved that show in the nineties but nowadays Ric just seems like he’s being weird for the sake of weird.

I’ve always felt Reeves was just dining out on being that surreal bloke from Shooting Stars, without actually doing anything funny or original since them. Don’t get me wrong, I loved that show in the nineties but nowadays Ric just seems like he’s being weird for the sake of weird.

Did quite enjoy House of Fools a few years ago although it was very far from a classic and did rely on Reeves' weirdness often as much to it's own detriment as benefit. Quite telling that it was at it's best when Matt Berry and Morgana Robinson were on screen.

I enjoyed Gavin and Stacey back in the original series but this Xmas one was a bit ****, they should have just left it alone - it’s had it’s day.

Fawlty Towers, Fools and Horse, and more recently the inbetweeners and fleabag make me laugh. I guess the kids nowadays find other stuff funny, doesn’t mean it’s worse.

I enjoyed Gavin and Stacey back in the original series but this Xmas one was a bit ****, they should have just left it alone - it’s had it’s day.

Fawlty Towers, Fools and Horse, and more recently the inbetweeners and fleabag make me laugh. I guess the kids nowadays find other stuff funny, doesn’t mean it’s worse.

I liked the Inbetweeners first two TV series but the second movie was one of the most dreadful films I’ve ever seen. Like leftover Mr Bean footage with painful, nonsensical dialogue added in.

Tbf a lot of comedians say similar. Social media and the threat of cancel culture have had a dumbing down effect and its left for superstars from ages ago like dave chapelle or US shows like its always funny in philadelphia to push back against this sort of culture.

I was going to to suggest always sunny, but looks like you’re already on it. Probably the best comedy on tv currently.

I guess the kids nowadays find other stuff funny, doesn’t mean it’s worse.

My children spend most of their free time watching hyperactive Americans running around their YouTube mansions with nerf guns, or filling their mclarens with packing peanuts.

That’s definitely worse.

This Country is brilliant in my opinion.

Fools and Horses, Fawlty, Hancock, George and Mildred still makes me smile.

A couple that missed the mass audience A perfect world (Paul Kaye) and Respectable (written by Simon Nye)

Cheers, Frazier good US comedy

This Country is brilliant in my opinion.

Fools and Horses, Fawlty, Hancock, George and Mildred still makes me smile.

A couple that missed the mass audience A perfect world (Paul Kaye) and Respectable (written by Simon Nye)

Cheers, Frazier good US comedy

This country is hilarious.!