Reaction: Saints 1-1 Palace

Saint-Armstrong

good point.

I thought Palace defended very well (bar the give away).

JwP my MoM, Hoj decent.

Boufal very disappointing and Djenepo being the player Boufal should have been....Djenepo changed it for us, caused all sorts of issues

good point and opened up a 4 point gap to the bottom 3...

We really need something more to break teams like this down but at least we got back into the game and got a point.

As said above, overall for the Xmas period we'd all have been delighted with 7 points from the 3 games.

I think the Chelsea game took a lot out of us, couldn't really muster the tempo to really challenge them.

Let's see if we can get some reinforcements in now and we can then push up the table.

A gift goal from Palace

draw fair result

Far too simplistic. I’m not pretending there was no error but watch it properly and it’s good pressing, ones has reacted and is heading towards where the balk is going before the pass is played. Yes it’s poor in one level but very good play on another and

For the first time EVER in my life I wen't to the bog during a Saints match and came back out to discover the score had got better and not worse for us, and I stand as a man with a serious weak bladder condition. Not seen our goal therefore, but evidently it was due to some sort of Palace howler. Regardless, I thought a draw was a fair result from that, and I am actually very happy with it.

Far too simplistic. I’m not pretending there was no error but watch it properly and it’s good pressing, ones has reacted and is heading towards where the balk is going before the pass is played. Yes it’s poor in one level but very good play on another and
Yep, Ings anticipated the back pass before it happened. Not many strikers would have got to the ball as Ings did. So, yes, bad pass but needed the awareness and tenacity of one of our own players to convert it into a goal. More good judgement than luck.

The way it was going, a point is a decent enough outcome - although tinged with an element of frustration that we couldn't quite nick it with the Djenepo run and shot, Ings' near post header, and Redmond just failing to cut the ball back to Ings for a tap in.

We found an extra gear once Djenepo and Armstrong came on (and Palace gifted us an equaliser). Shame we weren't at it all game, but there's got to be some consideration for the fact we ran ourselves into the ground just 48 hours ago.

Might be crucial point in the long run. Bank it, keep the unbeaten run going, and move on.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Forget about the recent results or performances, the team just does not look like a bunch of strangers any more. It looks like whatever it was that was dividing them seems to have maybe been cured?

“If the kids are united, they will never be divided” J. Pursey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did well to earn a point. Mystifying to me how Redmond gets so much game time. Totally distorts our style and was only rescued by Armstrong being on the pitch. Ah well. Good to have more steel at the back but also clear that a Cedric replacement is crucial. Stephens and Bednarek again very good. And ward Prowse worked extremely hard again. He's maturing and no longer making rash challenges

We really need something more to break teams like this down but at least we got back into the game and got a point.

As said above, overall for the Xmas period we'd all have been delighted with 7 points from the 3 games.

I think the Chelsea game took a lot out of us, couldn't really muster the tempo to really challenge them.

Let's see if we can get some reinforcements in now and we can then push up the table.

I think that Obafemi, with his pace and strength, could be the answer. He can burst through defences like Traore does for Wolves. If we'd had Obafemi rather than Adams today, we might well have won.

I think that Obafemi, with his pace and strength, could be the answer. He can burst through defences like Traore does for Wolves. If we'd had Obafemi rather than Adams today, we might well have won.

Maybe, but apart from Kelly's mistake, Palace were tight in defence and strong in midfield - with quick counter attacks from Zaha, Ayew and co. Today was a completely different match to Chelsea - Saints had twice as much possession and Palace were a lot tighter, provided less space and were hard to break down

Did well to earn a point. Mystifying to me how Redmond gets so much game time. Totally distorts our style and was only rescued by Armstrong being on the pitch. Ah well. Good to have more steel at the back but also clear that a Cedric replacement is crucial. Stephens and Bednarek again very good. And ward Prowse worked extremely hard again. He's maturing and no longer making rash challenges

Redmond has 1 good game and then 5 ****e ones but still manages to get a run others can only dream of

Thought palace did well to earn a point tbh

Proud of the lads today. Palace were always going to be tough to break down due to them sitting so deep and then looking to spring Ayew and Zaha. At 1-1 we looked like the better team and it took 2 excellent Guaita saves and a poor ball from Redmond to Ings to keep us from winning it.

Still think (with the Palace injuries) that we will look back and think 2 points dropped.

We have a tough run of fixtures now - Spurs, Leicester, Wolves, Palace again and Liverpool.

It's still very close down the bottom and we could quite easily lose the next 5 league games

Still think (with the Palace injuries) that we will look back and think 2 points dropped.

We have a tough run of fixtures now - Spurs, Leicester, Wolves, Palace again and Liverpool.

It's still very close down the bottom and we could quite easily lose the next 5 league games

:lol:

Very good point. Palace are a very solid outfit that don't concede many goals, so to come back and then push them for a winner is encouraging. The last 20 minutes was all us, but we didn't over expose ourselves and get caught on the break.

Boufal and Che may not have had their best days, but they need lots of games, not the odd chance here and there. Not easy to find a space though if Djenepo and Ings are going to keep impressing. Good that we have some options in those attacking roles. Maybe Boufal can press Redmond for a place as he isn't doing enough for me.

Thought Hoj had a decent game. You cant question his fight, which is all you can ask from a player.

Edited by Chez

Didn't like your Xmas results gift did you, hoping for a late Xmas?

FFS you can't break massed defences down by slow passing in midfield or on Boufal's case running at six defenders. What the hell was Redmond thinking with his undisciplined nibble, of course he was going to go down. I knew that, so he had to. We may have to get in sometimes, but he was going away from goal, covered and no danger. As for the free kick, nobody went for the ball, Bertrand was on his heels and Stephens was jumping late behind Tomkins. The defenders have to attack the ball.

We are not going to win many at SMS playing this slow build up against a retreating team. We gave them too much time to set up. We didn't have a shot in the first half. We have to play quick and press them hard in their own third.

That was nearly our best team at the end, Long for Redmond for me to help Ings and until we bring players in that's about our best team. Adams didn't really cause CP centre backs any problems in the air. Long would.

If one of our defenders had made that mistake he'd be crucified here.

On the face of it another frustrating home performance really, we never looked like scoring until Djanepo came on. Palace got what they came for and made it difficult for us. Hoping for more from Boufal, who was poor today. JWP had another good game and is looking more like a midfield dynamo with every game lately. Cedric OK but his crossing was poor when in good positions. CB's looked solid throughout, good partnership building there.

All in all an excellent points haul from the 3 games, with teams around us floundering (Villa, Bmouth, Norwich) its been a good period for us. Tough games to come but expect us to get points in 2 or 3 of them.

We are not going to win many at SMS playing this slow build up against a retreating team. We gave them too much time to set up. We didn't have a shot in the first half. We have to play quick and press them hard in their own third.

It's very hard when a team sits back, even with quick passing. When they do it then becomes a tough balance between pace of pass and security of pass. Usually it requires a very measured and crafted approach, otherwise you just turn over possession, and that's which is not our forte. Thought we pressed them harder in the second half and certainly got the ball out to Djenepo quickly and caused them a lot of problems. We are not the best side in the world, but right now we are making much more of what we have - about time too.

On the face of it another frustrating home performance really, we never looked like scoring until Djanepo came on. Palace got what they came for and made it difficult for us. Hoping for more from Boufal, who was poor today. JWP had another good game and is looking more like a midfield dynamo with every game lately. Cedric OK but his crossing was poor when in good positions. CB's looked solid throughout, good partnership building there.

All in all an excellent points haul from the 3 games, with teams around us floundering (Villa, Bmouth, Norwich) its been a good period for us. Tough games to come but expect us to get points in 2 or 3 of them.

Agree. So the puzzle is, say (and I know it's wishing thinking right now), but just say we bought a very good CB who would be a starter - who do you drop? For me Bed

It's very hard when a team sits back, even with quick passing. When they do it then becomes a tough balance between pace of pass and security of pass. Usually it requires a very measured and crafted approach, otherwise you just turn over possession, and that's which is not our forte. Thought we pressed them harder in the second half and certainly got the ball out to Djenepo quickly and caused them a lot of problems. We are not the best side in the world, but right now we are making much more of what we have - about time too.

Interesting, commentator on my stream said at around the hour mark, that neither team had made any mistakes so far, and that PL football was becoming a lot more tactical/technical game - just hope it's not going to turn into a game of chess in future!