Reaction: Saints 1-1 Palace

Saint-Armstrong

Considering how badly we were playing from the start of the season, amazing to think that with a couple of January additions, we could have a half decent squad again. Credit to Ralph for getting us playing something approaching football again. Fortunate too that we haven't been hit by injuries too hard.

Very good point. Palace are a very solid outfit that don't concede many goals, so to come back and then push them for a winner is encouraging. The last 20 minutes was all us, but we didn't over expose ourselves and get caught on the break.

Boufal and Che may not have had their best days, but they need lots of games, not the odd chance here and there. Not easy to find a space though if Djenepo and Ings are going to keep impressing. Good that we have some options in those attacking roles. Maybe Boufal can press Redmond for a place as he isn't doing enough for me.

Thought Hoj had a decent game. You cant question his fight, which is all you can ask from a player.

Yeah I didn't think they were too bad, did some good things but also had a few things not come off. I didn't think any players stood out as playing particularly badly in the first hour, it's just the product of playing a team that sits back. Admittedly Djenepo really made a difference, so you could say "well that's what Boufal or Redmond should have done", but at that point Palace were tiring and Djenepo was fresh - we've seen lots of players come on as late subs and have an impact, including Boufal.

I think had we had a week to prepare for the game we would have won easily, the players put a lot into Chelsea and it showed the tempo, the crispness wasn't there and its always going to be easier for the team that sits deep and defends, than the one trying to make the play if there is a bit of fatigue.

Palace are pretty ordinary IMO and I fancy us beating them at their place.

I am also less worried about Spurs and Wolves, both of course better than us and capable of beating us, but they will come here to beat us and will play more, so if we play like we have against Chelsea then we have a good chance IMO.

Plus the team knows they will have to put a real performance in against Leicester.

The Palace players got in the refs ear right from the first whistle, similar to United in the League Cup final and you could see after about 20 minutes of it, it had a massive impact on his decision making. He was giving them very weak fouls, etc. Also, funny how Bertrand got booked the other day for taking his time on a throw-in, but nothing was given to Palace players. The ref also needed to be stronger against their dissent like the referee who sent off Zaha last season. Milovojevic was lucky.

Got to be pretty happy with a point overall today. 2 very committed teams, fair result over the 90 minutes.

Neither side really got going first half, but Palace probably just about edged it and we got a bit of fortune from the VAR call.

Second half was much more entertaining. Disappointed to concede from a set piece but it was a clever one from a Palace perspective with everyone expecting a shot.

We kept going though and the subs gave us a real lift, especially Djenepo who had the beating of the Palace right side straight away. Ings became much more of a threat once Palace had to worry about Djenepo raiding down the wing. Could have won it towards the end but happy with a point overall and good to see us defend a few corners in injury time without making any howlers!

JWP a clear man of the match for me with an all action performance, never seen him make so many tackles and win so many headers all over the pitch, even in first half when rest of the team were slow to get going.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

JWP excellent again. I took a lot of flak supporting him a little while back and i’d like to think I’ve been proved right on that one.

Conversely, I also said Ralph should have been sacked as he was incapable of getting the most from the team. I was massively wrong on that one.

I like being proved wrong sometimes. Ralph is playing a blinder and we look a decent side.

Although I'm happy with a draw it could so easily be a win. Some of the Refs decisions were appalling and a couple of Palace players could easily have been given second yellows for dissent. The team is starting to gel at last and Boufal and Adams need more game time to show what they are really capable of.

Looking at Canaries v Spuds we don't have any problems. Spuds are not as good as the Londo centric press would have us believe.

Yeah I didn't think they were too bad, did some good things but also had a few things not come off. I didn't think any players stood out as playing particularly badly in the first hour, it's just the product of playing a team that sits back. Admittedly Djenepo really made a difference, so you could say "well that's what Boufal or Redmond should have done", but at that point Palace were tiring and Djenepo was fresh - we've seen lots of players come on as late subs and have an impact, including Boufal.

good point. I often think we have taken Boufal off just as the game is opening up. Thats when those flair players come into their own. Perhaps Long/Amstrong do the hard work chasing things down and then we bring the flair players on as teams tire, or earlier even.

Thought we did pretty well to keep Zaha quiet. The offside goal was all him and he did cause some problems, he's a real talent, no doubt about it, but we got stuck in and didn't give him too much room too often.

JWP excellent again. I took a lot of flak supporting him a little while back and i’d like to think I’ve been proved right on that one.

Conversely, I also said Ralph should have been sacked as he was incapable of getting the most from the team. I was massively wrong on that one.

I like being proved wrong sometimes. Ralph is playing a blinder and we look a decent side.

Sign of an intelligent person. To look at the evidence and change your opinion with the new facts. Too many on here dig in and defend a wrong opinion at all costs. Gets really tiresome.

Sign of an intelligent person. To look at the evidence and change your opinion with the new facts. Too many on here dig in and defend a wrong opinion at all costs. Gets really tiresome.

The fact is he is not playing the way he was when he was one of the worst players in the side. He is now getting stuck in, not standing off and his 50 yd crossfield ball to Djenepo was a collectors piece. Well done for stepping up a few gears.

I was happy with the performance. We always struggle against teams like this at home, always have done, particularly Palace. They’re the perfect away from home side - big units at the back, great pace and flare in attack, just sit deep and counter attack. Today I thought we nullified their attack largely, and found openings regularly throughout the game despite not creating loads of clear chances. The fans were patient for once too.

Really happy to be honest, this is a tough tough fixture and we showed good character and a bit more intelligence today.

Please replace Cedric in January, he’s killing us going forward.

A bit bizarre that in he end we got a point primarily because of VAR ... I'd still be fuming now if that had been us that had scored that goal, and a assist of the week pass to Ings from their defender!!

They need to change offide line to where the attackers feet are not his earlobe ofr little finger. They need to lean forward to see play and judge the offside line across the line of defenders.

The fightback was pretty exciting stuff with the saves from Djnepo, Ings flick ang Jwp free kick. Such a pity those 2 deep crosses fell to Cedric instead of a proven header of the ball!!

Much happier with game plan and effort that earlier in the season. Just 6 wins away from 40 points!! WHU, Bomo and Villa must be getting worried especially with Norwich and Watford pickng up points.

A bit bizarre that in he end we got a point primarily because of VAR ... I'd still be fuming now if that had been us that had scored that goal, and a assist of the week pass to Ings from their defender!!

They need to change offide line to where the attackers feet are not his earlobe ofr little finger. They need to lean forward to see play and judge the offside line across the line of defenders.

The fightback was pretty exciting stuff with the saves from Djnepo, Ings flick ang Jwp free kick. Such a pity those 2 deep crosses fell to Cedric instead of a proven header of the ball!!

Much happier with game plan and effort that earlier in the season. Just 6 wins away from 40 points!! WHU, Bomo and Villa must be getting worried especially with Norwich and Watford pickng up points.

The Norwich player was 6 inches offside, not 1 millimetre. He was therefore clearly offside according to the offside rule, which was around for a long time before VAR and he looked it to me at the time. There's nothing to whinge about there. Those are the rules of the game.

The Palace player was 6 inches offside, not 1 millimetre. He was therefore clearly offside according to the offside rule, which was around for a long time before VAR and he looked it to me at the time. There's nothing to whinge about there. Those are the rules of the game.

That should, of course, read Palace player.

I would have also been upset if that offside was ruled against us. It wouldn't make me right according to the rules though.

I can't count the number of wrong decisions given against us, in favour of the big clubs we were playing against, in the years before there was VAR. They cost us so dearly. If the fairness of VAR had been around at the time, we'd have won more trophies.

The ref was weak today, first time i have moaned about a ref for a while; Milosevic should have been booked earlier and should not have been on the pitch to take the free kick which didnt look like one anyway, as said above he felt Redmond and dived. Would have been justice if the JWP free kick had gone in after that red card scythe on Djnepo.

Palace are a niggly horrible team

Palace are a niggly horrible team

Always been a very dirty team. I Remember a game at the Dell in the late 70s/very early 80s: when Palace emerged after the halftime break from the tunnel, all four sides of the ground were chanting “animals! animals! animals!” at them, such had been their on-pitch violence in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palace good away. We have been weak sat home. A draw not unexpected. Very happy with 7 points from 3 games.

I think most, if not all of us, would have accepted this when we kicked off at Villa. Probably the best way of viewing it, but shame we couldn't extend it against what was meant to be an injury hit team.

Forget about the recent results or performances, the team just does not look like a bunch of strangers any more. It looks like whatever it was that was dividing them seems to have maybe been cured?

Gives us the chance to stay up which I didn’t think was possible a month ago.

I hope it can continue especially as we have an ‘easier’ run in compared to many other teams.

JWP was fantastic today.

Quite a satisfying day at St Mary’s overall despite not getting the winner - first of those I’ve had in a long time. Stephens makes a huge difference at the back, somebody who can play 3/4 different passes forwards or even take it into midfield himself. Massive difference to JV who has his own qualities but really limits that part of our play, which has a knock-on effect everywhere.

Feeling good about the team again - onwards and upwards!

Gives us the chance to stay up which I didn’t think was possible a month ago.

I hope it can continue especially as we have an ‘easier’ run in compared to many other teams.

Do we? Most clubs have played 20 games now so they all have 18 left, surely everyone has to play everyone apart from the one team they’ve already played twice?

Credit to Ralph for getting us playing something approaching football again.

Yep, he's done an good job turning things around. We looked doomed a few weeks back. We have half a chance now.

He's stopped putting square pegs in round holes, got our only decent fullbacks at full back and placed a relatively solid keeper between the posts. I think most importantly he has got players like Ings, JWP, Long and Armstrong doing those hard yards we needed and that has been helped by a simplified formation and defensive requirements. With this, the confidence has slowly creeped back into the side.

We are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, and just because we have had a good run if results doesn't mean we should all relax. The side needs to work harder and players need to continue to be brave on the ball. If he can get a bit more of a tune out of Boufal, Djenepo and Redmond we might score the goals we need to survive.

Edited by Chez

Thoroughly terrible first 60 mi utes, Roy Hodgson must have loved it as we played right into his hands. And fair play, Palace controlled us for that period. The goal changed everything (plus the subs) and we were brilliant after that. Djnepo was exceptional, he had five minutes when he came on and it just didn’t work, then he just took them apart. Great fun to watch.

Overall a point was probably fair but great to see such a revival from Saints. JWP was outstanding (albeit a bit unnecessary with the first half incident), he has added grit and tackling to his excellent forward delivery, I thought he was by far our MOTM today. such a well taken goal from Ings too, he had no service all game then sparked into life for the goal.

A good point.

Still think (with the Palace injuries) that we will look back and think 2 points dropped.

We have a tough run of fixtures now - Spurs, Leicester, Wolves, Palace again and Liverpool.

It's still very close down the bottom and we could quite easily lose the next 5 league games

And then again we might win them;)

Ings' goal was the perfect result of high pressing. Ings always tries to antizipate. The whole sequence before the goal showed that the defense was permanently under pressure. An if you are not a word-class team, somewhere on the line you make a mistake - and Ings antizipated this.

Disappointed not to have got the 3 points especially with the fixtures coming up. We've given ourselves a chance and if we are still in the mix at the end of January then we've got a good chance of pulling out, especially seeing as we're starting to play better.

Happy enough with the point really, as Palace were compact and disciplined at the back. Can't really blame anyone for their goal - it was a clear foul by Redmond, a well worked and delivered FK and a perfect header in off the bar.

I thought we were the much more likely team to win after we equalised, and the fact that their keeper was MOTM says it all. Seems like it's been a long time since that happened.

Overall, can't grumble at 7 points from our last 3 games. Would have snapped your hand off for that beforehand. And despite dropping a position with Brighton winning, we increased our cushion over the bottom 3 to 4 points. I think/hope that having clawed ourselves out of the drop zone it will make us a bit more attractive to any potential transfer targets in January.

Thought a point was a fair result in the end against a very compact, niggly Palace side that played like a West Ham side. JWP was relishing playing the villain and I think that showed in his performance, just want him to play with that intensity every game!! Wasn’t too impressed with Boufal, I rarely am when he starts, it seemed like he slowed down every counter attack once he got the ball trying to do a flair move, or look for a Hollywood pass, thinks that showed once he and Adams had come off and we looked so much more dangerous on the break.

Tough 5 games now, would be happy with 5 points I think, anything more would be fantastic.

Happy with the point in the end. Disappointed, naturally, but I think the attitude of the crowd at the end was a good commentary on the performance. Positive, applause and no undercurrent of grumbling, and the players appreciated the support we'd given. They know that our home form hasn't been much to cheer at.

I think some of the selection issues in the future will be who to bring on as impact subs. They've got only 3 days rest to the next game after just a day this time and I think it's been right to rest players.

It's slightly unfair to be too hard on the starters Boufal (back from injury) and Adams (ran himself into the ground Boxing Day), but we had decent substitutions who made an impact. Perhaps Redmond needs resting, and how I'd like a right back with a decent cross..

Ings' goal was the perfect result of high pressing. Ings always tries to antizipate. The whole sequence before the goal showed that the defense was permanently under pressure. An if you are not a word-class team, somewhere on the line you make a mistake - and Ings antizipated this.

I've just seen the highlights for the first time, and you are quite right. Ings starts to sprint when Djenepo starts to close down Kelly and that's why he gets to the ball first. A sign of a well drilled team and a player in confidence and we'll committed.

It's encouraging although I still think we are weak defensively, despite recent good results. Fortunately, a lot of the teams have a big weakness this year.

Yes, but I'm claiming the assist for us all in Itchen South. Until then, we had been content to let them bring it out. We were getting on their back about the relaxed approach, and this time we pressed them. Their defence was pressed into the error, and yes, well done Danny, like a greyhound first to the ball. But an assist for us in the Itchen South!!

The common factor in our good away form is that we always play in yellow/ grey. The common factor in our poor home form is that we always play in Red & White.

Can it be just visibility that aids our fast passing game, easier to pick out our own players? Yellow / Black is always associated with danger to life. Maybe just maybe this is a factor in our comparative success away?

Simple solution really Ralph, ditch the red & white and play in yellow/grey for the rest of the season home and away.

I'll be honest and say that I'm stunned by our recovery since that 0-9. We're still not full of great players, but what it's shown is that everyone still believes in the manager and what he's trying to do. I can't imagine how mentally challenging things were after that 0-9. This is why I was never for ditching Ralph, it just made no sense - we weren't going to get anyone better.

The players let everyone down, the manager started to panic and all hell broke loose. But I always believed he was a good manager sold a short straw with his squad, I just want him to be given the oppertunity to continue to evolve it - esp. the back 4 and midfield.

I was happy with the performance. We always struggle against teams like this at home, always have done, particularly Palace. They’re the perfect away from home side - big units at the back, great pace and flare in attack, just sit deep and counter attack. Today I thought we nullified their attack largely, and found openings regularly throughout the game despite not creating loads of clear chances. The fans were patient for once too.

Really happy to be honest, this is a tough tough fixture and we showed good character and a bit more intelligence today.

Please replace Cedric in January, he’s killing us going forward.

You pedant, why pick on one player. Cedric is one of the best and gutsiest players we have; if you think Valery has anywhere near his quality then you will get a very rude awakening if your wish came true. Anyway Ralph is not as daft as you seem to be and Cedric will. not only not be going anywhere in Jan but will also be offered a new contract in the summer unless he wants away. Get used to it!

You pedant, why pick on one player. Cedric is one of the best and gutsiest players we have; if you think Valery has anywhere near his quality then you will get a very rude awakening if your wish came true. Anyway Ralph is not as daft as you seem to be and Cedric will. not only not be going anywhere in Jan but will also be offered a new contract in the summer unless he wants away. Get used to it!

He's literally said that he's leaving.

Its quite interesting reading the various views on this game, some you can tell were in attendance, others from afar, some think we were a bit poor others think we did alright.

One thing that was noticeable walking up to the ground and on the concourse was a bit more of a positive air about the place.

There is no denying Palace are pretty justified in where they sat before kick off in the league, this season Roy has them sorted into a belligerent, stubborn, bloody minded team up for giving anyone a game. With that in mind they started the game looking like all they had to do is roll into Southampton pocket 3 points and wander back up to London.

Given the effort put into Boxing Day it was pretty good to see us come out of the blocks and get in their faces, Palace certainly didn't like it summed up very well by the song "cry in a minute, he's going to cry in a minute" aimed at Zaha, who I thought we took turns in pulling his tail as we knew a negative reaction would be likely be detrimental to his game. JWP certainly had sussed out early the line the Ref was going to let the rough and tumble go before blowing his whistle, the last time I can recall such a sustained amount of precise solid tackling from him was when we played Inter Milan!

As the half time whistle went and the positive applause rang out around the ground, something from a pre season interview Martin Keown had done with Ralph whilst away in the Alps went through my mind - Ralph had made a point of hunting the ball (pressing), well we hadn't seen much of that until very recently and then only in flashes. Keown had a byline in his piece where he had briefly spoken to PEH en-route to seeing Ralph. PEH had said "We want to be horrible to play against" I thought in the first half we were horrible to play against - at last!

We have without doubt been a team of 2 halves on so many occasions this last few seasons, either started with a hangover or had a full roast dinner and a glass or 2 of wine at half time, so it was good to see us up and at them again pretty much from the off in the second half.

Their opening goal was clever, it did seem a cheap foul sold to and bought by the ref, from where it was 9 out of 10 times that was going to whipped up and down over the wall with Palace players primed to rush in for any scraps, for it to be deftly clipped up and over onto Tomkins head worked a treat for them and no one could honestly have fingers pointed at them in the Saints defence it was clever; I bet when Matty planted the ball on Frannys head v Leicester all those years ago the whole Leicester team thought Matt was going straight for goal.

I thought we had a look of more P'd off than the dejection previously seen as we walked back to re start the game. Thought we made the right subs at the right time and 2 players who seem to like going forwards, we actually looked like weren't going to take another home defeat for a change. The continued pressing certainly reaped rewards especially with a predator like Ings on the pitch. Djenepo once he was warmed up must be a nightmare to play - like a few sat around us were saying the boy is made out of elastic bands - his feet are seemingly going in the opposite direction to the one he is suddenly travelling in!!!

When Ings picked the ball up and ran back to the centre circle, most of the team were ready in position, the body language was (at last) we are going for this. Their keeper certainly kept them in it.

I haven't walked out of St Mary's feeling entertained for quite some while, I guess hope has been rekindled because the team to my eyes was actually trying.

Did you not read the bit where he said 'replace' Cedric in January?