Saints v Spurs NYD - Build Up & Match Thread

John Boy Saint

Unless my Mince Pies have failed me suppose we may as well get this next one stoked up !

Probably the easier of the Festive 4 - as they can be a bit flakey. Pepper Gazzaniga with hard shots and make sure our front line is ready to pounce on the spillages because we all know get him rattled and he gets all fingers and thumbs.

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Bednarek Bertrand

Hojbjerg JwP

Armstrong Djenepo

Ings Obafemi

Adams/Redmond in for Obafemi and Djenepo if they're not fully fit

Adams, Boufal, Redmond decent options off the bench.

Got a good chance with Gazziniga in goal and Son suspended.

Looking at it from their perspective I bet they have been looking at this fixture as an easy one after 4 days rest and recuperation. We need to score the first goal to get a result, if they score first, knock the confidence and we start chasing they will pick us off - unfortunately I cant see lightning striking twice.

Not a game for two strikers or we'll get overrun.

Armstrong absolutely has to play, whether right mid or in a 3.

I'd say Armstrong and Djenepo in for Boufal and Adams.

Ings seems to play much, much better when playing alongside someone and Spurs weakness is their defence.

I would keep two forwards, whether thats Adams or Redmond, and add Armstrong for Boufal as he can drop in a bit when needed.

Then either Redmond (if Adams or Obafemi starts) or Djenepo on the other side.

Armstrong good as he gives the option to change towards a 4-3-3 without making a sub if we need to strengthen central midfield.

Spurs virtually play 4-4-2 anyway as Alli plays so high.

Ings seems to play much, much better when playing alongside someone and Spurs weakness is their defence.

I would keep two forwards, whether thats Adams or Redmond, and add Armstrong for Boufal as he can drop in a bit when needed.

Then either Redmond (if Adams or Obafemi starts) or Djenepo on the other side.

Armstrong good as he gives the option to change towards a 4-3-3 without making a sub if we need to strengthen central midfield.

Spurs virtually play 4-4-2 anyway as Alli plays so high.

Like I said in the OP we need to work Gazzaniga rifling real stingers at him that he WILL fumble and players like Ings will be on like a Piranha spotting a gram of raw liver -

There is nothing wrong being set up like we have been of late, the big threat of being caught short at the back, Son, is suspended, Prowsey can pull Delle Allis tail. Spurs still have the DNA of Poch and as my mate who’s primary income is betting says “Spurs are biblically overated” we seem to have turned a corners since we last played them and should have won.

Is Gazzaniga definitely still going to be in? I thought Lloris was due back soon, we had a bit of luck home to Spurs last season but can't see it this time, 1-2 defeat similar to away game.

Kane will score 100%.

West Ham v Bournemouth will be interesting , could do with that being a draw.

I want to be bold a predict a 2-1 or a 1-0 victory, but I just think we’ll lose 1-0 but somewhat valiantly as per i.e. we’ll test Gazzaniga a fair few times.

So yeah, prediction: Spurs to grind out a 1-0 victory, Alli to score- but the performance won’t be as bad as WHU.

I want to be bold a predict a 2-1 or a 1-0 victory, but I just think we’ll lose 1-0 but somewhat valiantly as per i.e. we’ll test Gazzaniga a fair few times.

So yeah, prediction: Spurs to grind out a 1-0 victory, Alli to score- but the performance won’t be as bad as WHU.

I would think if we test Gazza a few times we will score at least once.

Mike Dean !!!! (not my favourite Ref)

Sent off Danso this season v United (imo correct decision)

VAR Ref who sent off Ryan after Leicester had scored

BBC pundit Garth Crooks has laid into Dean, telling BBC Sport he strongly disagreed, and that he instigated Southampton's miserable night. "I thought at the time the sending-off Ryan Bertrand was a harsh decision but when I discovered Mike 'clever clogs' Dean was behind VAR in the Southampton versus Leicester fixture I wasn't surprised.

"There wasn't one pundit in the BBC Match of the Day studio or anyone on the pitch at St Mary's who would have sent Bertrand off for the challenge on Perez. And why? Because they recognised and understood the conditions.

Two seasons ago he was Ref for the Chelsea home game when he failed to see Alonso tackle through the back of Long's calf when he had a clear view and Alonso then made 2 goals as they came from 2 down to win 3-2 in the last 15 mins.

The season before that he was the Ref who sent off Redmond for a pull 10 yards outside the box AND also gave the Penalty when the Spurs player fell in the box. They went on to win 4-1.

He was also the Ref who was seen "punching the air" when Spurs scored

I think I’d like to see this

McCarthy

Cedric. Stephens bed. Bertrand

Jwp. Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Djenepo Boufal

Ings

Bit hesitant to move away from the 442 but I think this formation kinda helps fit all our best players into the starting 11 Armstrong can play most advanced of the mf and gives chance to get forward and create when in possession.. boufal and djenepo can be tricky and creative and both give more then redders.

Wouldn't mind seeing Valery come in for this one if he has recovered from sickness. Spurs have generally been playing Vertonghan at left back since Mourinho came in and he doesnt really get forward like most fullbacks do. That could open up alot of space for Valery to fly forward into, who I trust to do a better job of that than Cedric.

Would also only play 1 of Redmond, Djenepo or Boufal. The spurs defense struggles with quick passes and movement (see chelsea and Noriwch templates), but between Vertonghan, Alderweirald and Sanchez can time tackles and jockey players. All 3 of our attacking flair players like to hold onto the ball and run at defenders, but not sure if this is the right game for that sort of play. We need quick incisive passes and movement to leave them on their ass. I think Armstrong is absolutely key in this game.

Something like

McCarthy

Valery Stephens Bed Bertrand

JWP Hoj

Armstrong

Long Ings Djenepo

If Long isn't fit then play adams. Love the idea of Djenepo on Aurier. Aurier is utter turd.

Yes Kane and Alli's recent records against us are worryingly impressive. Its been a better than expected Christmas period, just think we might run out of steam today. Still, we were dead and buried 6 weeks ago, and will also now have played Spurs and Chelsea twice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes Kane and Alli's recent records against us are worryingly impressive. Its been a better than expected Christmas period, just think we might run out of steam today. Still, we were dead and buried 6 weeks ago, and will also now have played Spurs and Chelsea twice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dead and buried. Said who?

Why do people write us off a third of the season, they just end up looking looking like right tit s afterwards