How we fans stop VAR forever?

davefoggy

That is just ridiculous.

One thing we have not seen, is completely disgraceful decisions going against us. Like Gabbiadini in the cup final.

Nor are we seeing players getting away with punching the ball into the goal....

VAR is not perfect, but to say it is the end of football as we know is tin-hat territory

Absolutely this, i think people forget how bad it was before. Multiple times per fixture day per league 9per game in some cases) there were huge miscarriages of justice. That has been largely eliminated. Once they use some common sense for the offside rule it will be even better.

There is absoluley no way we should be going back to a pre VAR system. Utter madness.

Yes, I will continue to argue about that. And unless you have been out in the middle during a game you skill never understand this.

Have you?

I don't have to go out in the middle of the pitch to know that VAR wouldn't miss Watford's handball goal (as just one of hundreds of examples). Sorry Grandad, the PL, UEFA and the rest of the world doesn't agree with you. No offense.

Its the marginal offside decisions that seem to really wind people up, people can accept marginal goal line decisions but not offside, why is that?

The ball crossing the line is obviously key to whether a goal has been scored. I think a few people are annoyed by the fact that some offsides are so marginal as to be of no consequence. A kneecap being 2mm forward of the last defender isn’t giving a crucial advantage to the attacking side.

The offside rule was never really intended for this, it was to stop teams from just sticking some fat lard in the opposing six yard box a goal hanging for 90 minutes. I think most fans would accept an inch here or there, just so long as we don’t have goals like that David Silva assist a few years ago.

Its the marginal offside decisions that seem to really wind people up, people can accept marginal goal line decisions but not offside, why is that?
It's not like we didn't have marginal offsides before VAR. At least now they are more accurately assessd, than they were, when we were relying on a middle age bloke, with a flag,15 feet behind the play to make the decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

You obviously haven’t seen the Liverpool Wolves game earlier today.

Not every decision has been correct, especially the offside ones where several have been ridiculous.

Apparently the fuss about handball today was that earlier in the Lallana/Mané move the ball is said to have hit VVD in the arm but this was ‘too soon in the move’.

says who?

I think the divide is between people with a MLG mindset who are happy to have every measure taken and everything analysed to a minute degree in order to achieve the "correct" result every time and those who would prefer a tolerance built into the system so that all decisions aren't just left to a machine and the width of a hair follicle.

Firstly any error could work both ways, the player could be offside by a bigger margin than shown. It's no good arguing about fine margins. It is what it is, otherwise change the rules. I favour going back to two players between the attacker and the goal any overlap is offside, the VAR must show a gap or it's offside. The changing to the level rule favouring the attacker is the problem because overlapping goalside isn't level it's offside. Allowing clear air the other way in favour of the attacker is nonsense.

In cricket, tennis, rugby fine margins are accepted, outside it's one way, inside it's the other. If the rules aren't changed then just accept the present criteria and if it goes for or against accept the decision and move on. A lot of the problem is managers, players and supporters disputing the decisions. Just get brutal and hammer the protesters hard so that whatever decision an official makes is accepted and move on. Anyone would think that football is the only sport with passion, it isn't but it is riddled with cheating and indiscipline. That needs stamping on hard and it would be a better game.

I was one of those fans who advocated the introduction of video technology. I still do. Like all new "advancements", it will need to be reviewed and its use will need to evolve. It's not perfect by any means but it is levelling the playing field for smaller teams who never seemed to get the decision when playing against the giants (and I never believed the old saying that "things levelled out over the course of the season) and helping the refs who for too long were missing things due to unintentional bias or due to the pace of the game.

Firstly any error could work both ways, the player could be offside by a bigger margin than shown. It's no good arguing about fine margins. It is what it is, otherwise change the rules. I favour going back to two players between the attacker and the goal any overlap is offside, the VAR must show a gap or it's offside. The changing to the level rule favouring the attacker is the problem because overlapping goalside isn't level it's offside. Allowing clear air the other way in favour of the attacker is nonsense.

In cricket, tennis, rugby fine margins are accepted, outside it's one way, inside it's the other. If the rules aren't changed then just accept the present criteria and if it goes for or against accept the decision and move on. A lot of the problem is managers, players and supporters disputing the decisions. Just get brutal and hammer the protesters hard so that whatever decision an official makes is accepted and move on. Anyone would think that football is the only sport with passion, it isn't but it is riddled with cheating and indiscipline. That needs stamping on hard and it would be a better game.

But cricket, tennis, rugby are spasmodic games which have regular stoppages. What separates football is the relentless pace of the game, the ebb and flow.

Unless Saints are playing at home, of course.

I don't have to go out in the middle of the pitch to know that VAR wouldn't miss Watford's handball goal (as just one of hundreds of examples). Sorry Grandad, the PL, UEFA and the rest of the world doesn't agree with you. No offense.

You cannot make a subjective decision through a television lens.

The PL and the others are all in the pay of the TV companies. They have ceased to be spectators and want to control the game as well.

This. For decades the culture of football has been to moan about decisions made by the match officials. Now pundits, fans, managers whinge about decisions made by VAR ... VAR brings about correct decisions we sometimes don’t like and find hard to accept. The problem lies not with the technology, nor with the interpretation of the laws ....the problem lies with us.

The ball crossing the line is obviously key to whether a goal has been scored. I think a few people are annoyed by the fact that some offsides are so marginal as to be of no consequence. A kneecap being 2mm forward of the last defender isn’t giving a crucial advantage to the attacking side.

The offside rule was never really intended for this, it was to stop teams from just sticking some fat lard in the opposing six yard box a goal hanging for 90 minutes. I think most fans would accept an inch here or there, just so long as we don’t have goals like that David Silva assist a few years ago.

To decrease the level of subjectivity in refereeing, because there was a problem with this, the law makers have chosen that incidents like offside, goal lines and handball (in some cases only) are binary; they are either one or the other. To include 'the degree of consequence' to the situation is going back to subjectivity. I'm not arguing it one way or another just stating the position and trying to understand why one rule is accepted and another isn't.

There was a problem with refereeing before VAR; managers and players were all calling for consistency, pundits were over analysing every decision and slowing down to video and looking at it from every angle to prove that the ref got it wrong again. What we have to take on board is that any set of rules and method of implementation has its problems.

By the way offside was never devised to stop goal hanging, it was always an intrinsic part of the game. Yes there were areas and periods that experimented with no offsides, but these were the exceptions. If you look at the history of offside it was part of the origin of the game and over time each change has been in favour of the attacker. The implementation of VAR is the first time the rules have been in favour of the defender, as it affords closer scrutiny of offsides. Maybe this is the answer to my original question, maybe we see this as a retrograde step and an attack on goals. We all love goals (unless they are against us).

No margins, no allowances, rules are rules, if you are closer to the goal than the last defender be it 1 mm or 10 yards you are offside, I can't even believe ppl are debating this. It used to be a skill for attacking players to time runs to perfection to beat an offside trap, now you want to give them extra room for error and not uphold the offside rule cause you want to see more goals scored that are not goals cause they was offside? So you are happy to lose against palace th e other day when Zaha was offside? What about all the other decisions that have gone our way and stopped us losing? We would probs be bottom and it would be an Injustice cause we would be bottom due to goals being given when they should have been scrubbed of.

What about if that goal Zaha scored was a final game of the season and if we lost we was relegated but if palace won/ lost they survive/ relegated? Your happy to let them stay up with a free goal? And us relegated?

I don't like how it's implemented and how long it takes, but if your offside your offside don't matter if it's a mm or a metre your offside.....

Can't believe ppl are even discussing this.....

VAR is needed. It's just that the form of VAR that the Premier League is trying to use is a mess and ignores the experience of other sports that introduced it years ago and have worked to get it right.

What we have is no cooperation between on-field ref and VAR ref. Just another subjective opinion. Some decisions examined with a slide rule, others ignored for no apparent reason, except the club involved. No system for captains or managers to have a challenge. And, unless I'm mistaken, no provision for a ref to request a review. They just wait to get told a VAR check is happening.

It's typical of the Premier League that they think they're better than everyone else at everything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No margins, no allowances, rules are rules, if you are closer to the goal than the last defender be it 1 mm or 10 yards you are offside, I can't even believe ppl are debating this. It used to be a skill for attacking players to time runs to perfection to beat an offside trap, now you want to give them extra room for error and not uphold the offside rule cause you want to see more goals scored that are not goals cause they was offside? So you are happy to lose against palace th e other day when Zaha was offside? What about all the other decisions that have gone our way and stopped us losing? We would probs be bottom and it would be an Injustice cause we would be bottom due to goals being given when they should have been scrubbed of.

What about if that goal Zaha scored was a final game of the season and if we lost we was relegated but if palace won/ lost they survive/ relegated? Your happy to let them stay up with a free goal? And us relegated?

I don't like how it's implemented and how long it takes, but if your offside your offside don't matter if it's a mm or a metre your offside.....

Can't believe ppl are even discussing this.....

I think the main issue is whether an offside can be accurately judged within millimetres. It would be like a policeman giving you a ticket for doing 30.01mph. He could say you are speeding, the law is the law and he would be right, however is his radar gun THAT accurate to be handing out penalties for such a fine exceedence?

T..... some offsides are so marginal as to be of no consequence. A kneecap being 2mm forward of the last defender isn’t giving a crucial advantage to the attacking side.......

The problem here is that if you say that the rule will be "2mm offside is fine" then the next case will be 3mm offside, i.e. 1mm more than the rule. And so on and so forth. The problem still remains.... where do you draw the rule. Wherever it is there will be someone infinitesimally more offside. Hence they are offside. That's the rule

I think the main issue is whether an offside can be accurately judged within millimetres. It would be like a policeman giving you a ticket for doing 30.01mph. He could say you are speeding, the law is the law and he would be right, however is his radar gun THAT accurate to be handing out penalties for such a fine exceedence?

They give you margin of error in that cause if so many components, it's common knowledge that you can do 33 in a 30 zone and not get told off, but ask an f1 driver if they get that 10% margin in the pit lane? They don't, you go over even if just 0.0001 kmph they get a penalty.... No margins at all, camera is far more accurate than a human could ever be, and with cameras able to do a trillion frames per second, the room of error is so small you would need a microscope to see it....

Better the rule stays as it is, no allowances, it's the same for every one and can't be manipulated to give prefer treatment to a team.

The problem here is that if you say that the rule will be "2mm offside is fine" then the next case will be 3mm offside, i.e. 1mm more than the rule. And so on and so forth. The problem still remains.... where do you draw the rule. Wherever it is there will be someone infinitesimally more offside. Hence they are offside. That's the rule

That’s why I was proposing the 6 inch margin for error rule. Obviously this does just move the line back 6 inches but it does come with four massive benefits IMO:

1. An onside goal will never, ever get wrongfully disallowed and there will be no doubt that a player is clearly offside.

2. it saves time. If there’s any doubt at all if the player is over the six inch line - offside. You can make any decision in 10 seconds.

3. If we get one disallowed at 5.9" and Liverpool get one given at 6", I can live with that. It’s far better than living with nonsense like Watford’s handball or Silva’s offside.

4. It stops sceptics from moaning. No more, "his knee was 2mm offside FFS!"

For me this is the problem, being 'level' no longer exists so your either on or your offside. Doesn't matter if it's 1 centimeter, 1 millimetre, 1 nanometre or 1 angstrom (one ten-billionth of a meter), if the attacker is ahead of the defender he's offside. Won't be long until we're employing electron microscopes to look at the molecular level to see if it's on or off.

Why would we stop var, its saved us loads of times this season.

Because, as Duncan says, some people just love to moan. They are the same people who loved moaning about Maradona's handball goal in the World Cup and Doucoure's handball goal against us last season, and they were hoping to see us relegated with more of the same unfair decisions to moan about. The fairness of VAR has taken that pleasure away from them.

This. For decades the culture of football has been to moan about decisions made by the match officials. Now pundits, fans, managers whinge about decisions made by VAR ... VAR brings about correct decisions we sometimes don’t like and find hard to accept. The problem lies not with the technology, nor with the interpretation of the laws ....the problem lies with us.

This 100 times over.

What did people think would happen. The use of VAR to judge factual decisions as well as subjective ones will always lead to minuscule measurements. The level of ignorance from pundits is quite staggering. Wherever you decide the offside is judged from, feet, daylight, part you can score with, there will be hairline calls. Once you start giving the “benefit of the doubt” to the attacker, then you’re really going down a rocky path. It becomes a subjective measure, and as we all know subjective measures tend to favour bigger clubs & managers. It’s no use saying it’s only to be used for obvious offsides, because there will be a borderline “was that far enough offside” call most weeks.

If you look at every single disallowed offside goal, I doubt there’s one that wouldn’t have been scored had the offside player been 10cm’s nearer his own goal. Maybe players should make more effort to ensure they’re defo onside during build up play. If you play on the edge of the line, you’re occasionally going to step over it. It seems bizarre that when players do, it’s the rule that’s wrong, not them.

I didn’t particularly want VAR, but the success of the goal line technology and in particular, footballs acceptance of it, changed my mind. However, it’s been a bit of a dogs breakfast , but there’s absolutely zero chance it’ll be binned. The very simple tweaks are obvious. The English referees need to use the pitchside monitor for subjective decisions, and an acceptance of the decision needs to be made on factual ones. Not one person would say that because only a whisker of the ball wasn’t over the line, we’ll call it a goal, so why are they saying only a whisker was offside, therefore it shouldn’t be offside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's happened already this season indicates just how many offside goals were typically given against us before VAR. If this is anything to go by, we were losing at least 6 points per season because of wrong decsions from referees going against us, but rarely for us:

How VAR decisions have affected Saints so far this season:

Disallowed goals against: 5

Game: Sheffield United (A; Sept. 14)

Incident: Oliver McBurnie's goal disallowed for offside, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: AFC Bournemouth (H; Sept. 20)

Incident: Josh King scored for the Cherries, but he was offside, 25th minute - FOR

Game: Wolves (A; Oct. 19)

Incident: Raul Jimenez goal ruled out for offside against Patrick Cutrone, 42nd minute - FOR

Game: Leicester (H; Oct. 25)

Incident: Ryan Bertrand sent off for challenge on Ayoze Perez, 12th minute - AGAINST

Game: West Ham (H; Dec. 14)

Incident: Goal for Michail Antonio ruled out for handball, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Dec. 28)

Incident: Goal for Max Meyer ruled out for offside by Wilfried Zaha in the build-up, 15th minute - FOR

VAR overturns - decisions against

Not one person would say that because only a whisker of the ball wasn’t over the line, we’ll call it a goal, so why are they saying only a whisker was offside, therefore it shouldn’t be offside.

I don't have a problem with VAR, I would simply like to know the accuracy of the system and what the margin of error is regarding their measurement of distance. Whether people like it or not there's always some degree of standard deviation with any scientific measurement. Look at scales in the kitchen, when you weigh out 100g if pasta it doesn't weigh exactly 100g, it weighs 100g plus or minus the standard deviation/error of the scales in question. The same is undoubtedly true of VAR. People quite rightly want certainty from VAR regarding offside but you can only get that if the system is accurate enough. Is the tolerance of the system 1 millimetre, 1 centimetre or 1 nanometre? I may be wrong but I've never seen anything published with regards to the systems tolerance to what distance it can accurately measure.

I don't have a problem with VAR, I would simply like to know the accuracy of the system and what the margin of error is regarding their measurement of distance. Whether people like it or not there's always some degree of standard deviation with any scientific measurement. Look at scales in the kitchen, when you weigh out 100g if pasta it doesn't weigh exactly 100g, it weighs 100g plus or minus the standard deviation/error of the scales in question. The same is undoubtedly true of VAR. People quite rightly want certainty from VAR regarding offside but you can only get that if the system is accurate enough. Is the tolerance of the system 1 millimetre, 1 centimetre or 1 nanometre? I may be wrong but I've never seen anything published with regards to the systems tolerance to what distance it can accurately measure.

Exactly this. I can't find any figures for the margin of error. Best I can see is some people saying it is 13cm but no official sources backing it up. Let's say hypothetically it is 13cm. Well those people saying that by including a margin of error it will just move the offside line 13cm forward are wrong. Let's say a player scores but the flag went up. It goes to VAR which shows him to be 2cm onside. In that case it would stay with the onfield decision. Likewise if the flag didn't go up and VAR shows 2cm offside, the goal stands. As long as assistants are given benefit of the doubt to the attacker, like they are currently, I think it could work. Yeah there would still be a bit of contention. Even in cricket you get a ball tracker and you go 'hmmm that looked like it was missing the stumps, yet ball tracker shows it hitting'. But you get over it pretty quickly.

I think the divide is between people with a MLG mindset who are happy to have every measure taken and everything analysed to a minute degree in order to achieve the "correct" result every time and those who would prefer a tolerance built into the system so that all decisions aren't just left to a machine and the width of a hair follicle.

I don't think that is entirely true; I was happy with the situation pre VAR and happy with the situation now. Some people are happy to let the authorities set the rules and just get on with it and some people like to moan. I couldn't stand the pundits moaning pre VAR and can't stand it now.

You could have made your point with out calling out MLG, maybe your new years resolution should be to be less of a ****.

Well why doesn’t the ref simply go to the pitch side and review the film? It wouldn’t take any longer than the present delays .If it’s not a clear offside which I think should be either foot in an offside position then go with the attacking side.

Ok he gets a second opinion but the final decision should ALWAYS be the guy in the middle of the game .

VAR then is simply another Lino not the judge of fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's happened already this season indicates just how many offside goals were typically given against us before VAR. If this is anything to go by, we were losing at least 6 points per season because of wrong decsions from referees going against us, but rarely for us:

How VAR decisions have affected Saints so far this season:

Disallowed goals against: 5

Game: Sheffield United (A; Sept. 14)

Incident: Oliver McBurnie's goal disallowed for offside, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: AFC Bournemouth (H; Sept. 20)

Incident: Josh King scored for the Cherries, but he was offside, 25th minute - FOR

Game: Wolves (A; Oct. 19)

Incident: Raul Jimenez goal ruled out for offside against Patrick Cutrone, 42nd minute - FOR

Game: Leicester (H; Oct. 25)

Incident: Ryan Bertrand sent off for challenge on Ayoze Perez, 12th minute - AGAINST

Game: West Ham (H; Dec. 14)

Incident: Goal for Michail Antonio ruled out for handball, 52nd minute - FOR

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Dec. 28)

Incident: Goal for Max Meyer ruled out for offside by Wilfried Zaha in the build-up, 15th minute - FOR

VAR overturns - decisions against

We got lucky with Djenepo’s ‘handball’ in the buildup to Ings’s goal a couple of weeks ago.

As I said, give VAR 30 seconds max to rule on offside or overturn any other decision, otherwise it stands.

Simples.

So what happens if there are 2 VAR incidents at the same time at 2 different games? There is only one adjudicator for the final say. Also you also have to rely on technicians downloading the info in that time.

People talk about error margins. Patently they are acceptable to the authorities. Therefore it's where the line is, no ifs or buts. Using a margin of error casts doubt one way or the other. the line is where it is with zero tolerance. I accept that. What I don't accept is the best teams, with the best attackers, who score the most goals being further advantaged as they always have by making it a referees decision or moving the offside line further offside.

I don’t understand why people want rid of the system when it gives the correct decisions?

Now they’re talking about changing it in February to only reviewing “clear and obvious”

My question is, when does an offside mistake become clear and obvious? And who makes the decision to review a “clear and obvious” offside?

In the NFL for example, all scoring plays are reviewed.

So, using that as an example, if all scoring plays were reviewed in the EPL and the attacker was viewed to be an inch offside, is that clear and obvious enough to recind the goal or is an inch not obvious or clear enough?

Are goals going to be allowed to stand, even though the Video Referee finds the attacker to be offside, but in his view it wasn’t clear and obvious in real time? That’s more of a sham in my eyes.

They’re toning down its use for marginal offsides

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50944416

What’s great about the above link is that is shows Saints as top of the VAR league! 6 decisions have benefited us, only 1 has gone against us. Think how screwed we’d be without that help!

I think you mean 'that fairness' or 'impartiality'.

I don’t understand why people want rid of the system when it gives the correct decisions?

Now they’re talking about changing it in February to only reviewing “clear and obvious”

My question is, when does an offside mistake become clear and obvious? And who makes the decision to review a “clear and obvious” offside?

In the NFL for example, all scoring plays are reviewed.

So, using that as an example, if all scoring plays were reviewed in the EPL and the attacker was viewed to be an inch offside, is that clear and obvious enough to recind the goal or is an inch not obvious or clear enough?

Are goals going to be allowed to stand, even though the Video Referee finds the attacker to be offside, but in his view it wasn’t clear and obvious in real time? That’s more of a sham in my eyes.

The problem is that the technology is not accurate enough to judge whether or not an attacker is an inch offside.

They’re toning down its use for marginal offsides

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50944416

What’s great about the above link is that is shows Saints as top of the VAR league! 6 decisions have benefited us, only 1 has gone against us. Think how screwed we’d be without that help!

That’s what made me come to this thread, had a read of that article a moment ago and we’ve been heavily helped, but totally screwed without it and let’s face it, we’ve had our unfair share of crap decisions against us these last few years, so VAR had been a welcome addition.

But, when we talk about marginal offsides being negated, what is marginal?

Like I said above, more of a sham to see a goal allowed that the linesman hasn’t put his flag up for, video shows that attacker was offside by an inch or so but allowed to stand. Is an inch marginal? I think far more of us would be raging about the video proving that the goal was offside but it wasn’t “clear or obvious” enough to the naked eye,

I mean, what’s the point in having any technology at all if we don’t use it to make the correct decisions, we could be sitting a good ten points further down the table without it this year, below Norwich and theoretically gone.

The problem is that the technology is not accurate enough to judge whether or not an attacker is an inch offside.

Well, I didn’t think of that.

If it isn’t accurate enough then it shouldn’t be used to make those accurate decisions until it can be proved it is.

I’d personally want the correct decisions made in matches, wether it’s marginal or not.

The important thing is where the offside line off the defender is drawn. It is the reference point nothing else, anything goalside of the line is offside. It is consistent and fair. What is happening is that defenders are getting better drilled to keep a good tight line. Saints are doing this, it's no coincidence we are getting favourable decisions. Forwards have to now get better at staying onside. Wherever the line is drawn forwards will push the boundaries. Stay onside and it's a goal, not too hard is it?

The important thing is where the offside line off the defender is drawn. It is the reference point nothing else, anything goalside of the line is offside. It is consistent and fair. What is happening is that defenders are getting better drilled to keep a good tight line. Saints are doing this, it's no coincidence we are getting favourable decisions. Forwards have to now get better at staying onside. Wherever the line is drawn forwards will push the boundaries. Stay onside and it's a goal, not too hard is it?
Luckily the authorities aren't listening to you and will be bringing in some common sense changes shortly. Thank goodness.