Saints 1 Spurs 0 - Reactions!

St Chalet

Mourinho actually said the ballboys were well coached in delaying the game. Amazing. Yeah. That was the key to the win. What an idiot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did he really say that? I like mOurinho but really thought this was not the right club for him. It was madness to get rid of Poch and they will rue the day IMO

At this point in the season we have more points than we did in 2015-2016 under Koeman (24). All we need to do is hold our current form and we'll be back in Europe ;)
You'd have to be "mad" to even contemplate that this team could finish in the top half, let alone qualifying for Europe...

© SWF intelligentsia

Mourinho actually said the ballboys were well coached in delaying the game. Amazing. Yeah. That was the key to the win. What an idiot

And it seems ‘the idiot’ is our goalkeeping coach Andrew Sparks

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/01/01/jose-mourinho-brands-southamptons-goalkeeping-coach-idiot-spurs/

Credit to Ralph to admit he was getting it badly wrong and then having the resolve to put it right. Also what has possessed JWP?? Absolutely bossed it today and his block 50/50 tackle on sisoko was immense. It’s taken some time but we’ve got our identity back again. Well done lads

Spurs on the other hand. Shambles

I was going to mention that tackle , Absolutely smashed him best tackle I've seen for years !

If he said that it is a welcome early sign that this project is going to be the complete failure I thought and hoped it would be when they appointed him.

I really liked his professional foul when Spurs caught us on the break. That ruthlessness is exactly what you need at this level. That bit of nastiness and doing everything possible to stop the opponent gaining the advantage is helping to stop those break away goals that hurt us badly earlier in the season.

I have to say I was relatively calm for the last ten minutes compared to normal. We seem to have a bit more solidity, and luck...

Me too. I think it was because Kane had gone off.

Me too. I think it was because Kane had gone off.

Yes, our central defensive pairing has suddenly become so good that you expect them to hold out now. We were comfortably in control of the whole game until Djenepo was subbed. Then for the first time in the game Spurs took control of midfield and started to put some pressure on our goal. But, as you say, Kane being subbed seemed to take the threat out of their attack.

How was that not a penalty for handball?

He was yards away from the cross, he had his arms above shoulder height and the ball struck his arm.

As soon as we went to VAR I thought, great we have a penalty.

bonkers.

Not a 'clear and obvious' mistake by the ref - his decision was to 'correctly' give Spuds the benefit of the doubt, and VAR couldn't therefore over rule him.

Not a 'clear and obvious' mistake by the ref - his decision was to 'correctly' give Spuds the benefit of the doubt, and VAR couldn't therefore over rule him.

looked a pretty clear and obvious mistake to me.....

if we see another handball like that, in the area, not given this season, I will be very surprised.

Ultimately it was of no consequence, but Mike Dean is right up there with the worst officials at this level.

looked a pretty clear and obvious mistake to me.....

if we see another handball like that, in the area, not given this season, I will be very surprised.

Ultimately it was of no consequence, but Mike Dean is right up there with the worst officials at this level.

I was trying to be sarcastic. ;)

Wonder what the view is of Cedric's performance today in amongst plenty of creditable individuals performances throughout the team?

He hasnt been in the greatest of form but believe the change of formation ie providing more midfield cover on the right side of the pitch has helped significantly,

Wonder what the view is of Cedric's performance today in amongst plenty of creditable individuals performances throughout the team?

He hasnt been in the greatest of form but believe the change of formation ie providing more midfield cover on the right side of the pitch has helped significantly,

Cedric was immense today.

Beautiful!

Did the bastards sing our song??

I think that the penny might have finally dropped with the thick North Londoners that it is actually our song, one that we can sing not changing the word "Saints" to Spurs, United or anything else. As such, I think that they might have realised that singing it would risk us singing it at the same time, turning up the volume and the atmosphere for our players, rather than theirs.

Huge shout out to JWP and Hojberg for the last couple of weeks. They have run about the length of the country for the side with 4 games in less than 2 weeks without a single minute's rest. Whilst some of other players have played every game, as a midfield duo they need to cover so much extra ground, make so many tackles, interceptions, and a whole range of passes. That takes tremendous fitness, passion and effort. I could feel the effort from JWP legs has he launched that ball up to Long near the end there. I am sure both of them will lose form again at some point, but no one should question their dedication to the side to get their fitness and strengths to this level. JWP in particular has been a man possessed, playing a 'Kante' role in our side and doing it well, even if that concept does still mind boggling!

I took a bit of time to get home tonight: a later train following a pub visit. Then I see Mourinho's comments and just had to snigg er. The crowd chants were very apposite in retrospect: "F O Mourinho", and "You're just a s**t Pochettino".

Spurs fans in the pub beforehand were much more friendly and gracious. Not sure they're too impressed with JM either..

PS: sydney_saint: hope your sister is well and playing footie again. ;-)

Would like to know what Andy Sparkes said or did to wind up Mourinho. Whatever it was can I just say, well done, couldn't have happened to a bigger ****.

Mourinho was, according to the Telegraph, wound up that we delayed bringing Obafemi on until Kane was off. It was another reason we won, of course

Any one think ings would be in demand (by the journos) for England if he was playing fir a glory club? Hell, some journos would be demanding this had he scored the goal today for Liverpool!!!

Liverpool didn’t play today.

He was yards away from the cross, he had his arms above shoulder height and the ball struck his arm.

bonkers.

Completely agree was a clear pen.

Mike Dean is a terrible ref, clearly biased today and often is against us.

Another really positive display. The commitment levels have really shot up over the past few weeks - fair play to Ralph for turning things around.

Jack Stephens and JWP look like totally different players and the team as a whole is looking so much more solid. Other than Obafemi (the lad had a bit of a shocker) I can't think of another player who I'd give less than an 8 out of a 10. I thought when Shane Long came on he proved why he is the best partner for Danny Ings.

If I was Ralph I'd give players like Bertrand, Bednarek, JWP, Hojbjerg, Redmond and Ings a rest on Saturday. Huddersfield are a really poor side and those guys have put in a serious effort lately.

Onwards and upwards.

Super, super result,

Really enjoyed the Spurs player ratings on ESPN, these were my favourites:

DF Toby Alderweireld, 4 -- Was sold a bag of dreams with the goal, later was lucky not to give away a penalty and really struggled throughout the game.

MF Dele Alli, 4 -- Came across as quite petty and the only time when he didn't look lazy was when he was throwing himself on the floor in the penalty area.

Alli, really is pathetic, but if he never gets a yellow for diving he will keep doing it.

Amazing result and what a run we’ve had. Fair play to Ralph he has turned it around big time.

Like others have said still in shock about the last few weeks. We were dead and buried after Leicester, most people had accepted relegation and now we’re 12th. Bonkers season. It does feel very tight at the bottom though and teams seem to keep on winning. So we need to keep it going, not safe yet.

Fair play to Ralph though and to the board for sticking with him.

Random observations

There was a very loud rendition of OWTSGMI after the final whistle which the lads thoroughly deserved after such an heroic performance. So very different from the immediate post-match reaction earlier in the season.

Kane’s disallowed goal - I’m sure there was a cheer from some in the crowd about a second before the VAR result appeared on the big screen.

Obafemi has received some adverse comments - I thought he performed the thankless task of putting pressure on the defenders very doggedly and played his part in the victory.

The height Shane Long can jump is quite amazing and Djenapo jumped very high for a corner in the first half; shame it went way over the bar.

bonkers.

I think the fact Bertrand absolutely wellied it. It was hit so hard he had no time to react.

That said, if it had been given VAR would not have overruled it, IMO.

I think the fact Bertrand absolutely wellied it. It was hit so hard he had no time to react.

That said, if it had been given VAR would not have overruled it, IMO.

I thought it was an incredible decision / by the ref firstly and then VAR. His arm was right up in the air for no reason - not the natural position for the arm - and he put it up in the air as the cross came in. Absolutely blatant.

The ref was awful. As many have said, we beat 12 men. If it was at the other end the ref would certainly have given it - and if he didn’t the likes of Alli and the former special one would have gone off on one.

Stoppage time was relatively comfortable. At one point Saints kicked it out and Spurs ambled up to the ball to take the throw in. They’d given up. We harried and hustled them into submission. They look like a team that blew their big chance last season and are now in a decline.

They certainly had. In fact, most of the Spurs team looked disinterested from the first whistle. Eriksen, in particular, was a disgrace; mooching about just in front of the central defenders most of the time, reluctantly trotting up to take the set-pieces. I know he wants to leave, but he could at least pretend to play football for as long as he remains at the club. Good for Saints though...

Mourinho is not the manager to sort out that squad; doubtless he will start throwing players under the bus to deflect criticism of himself, but he is not the disciplinarian they need.

With Arsenal and Manchester United in similar disarray (and even Manchester City are showing faint signs of discontent with Guardiola) and Chelsea inconsistent (albeit enjoyable to watch), this is another season where unfancied teams could break the top 4. Liverpool have the title already and I think Leicester will stay the course (unless someone snaps Vardy's leg - what a shame that would be...), but European football is within reach for a team that dares.

So we can only bring on a sub when it suits José then? What a ****** that guys is.

He started at Tottenham with a degree of humility, and I did wonder whether his fall from grace and recent lack of success had taught him a lesson, but it has taken a matter of weeks, before he is back to his familiar, arrogant, condescending, self.

He even managed to moan about our ball-boys being "well trained in time-wasting". Does he genuinely believe his team lost yesterday because we took 30 seconds longer to make a substitution, or because the ball-boys were not quick in their distribution? Of course not.

He has just called an opposing professional coach, an idiot.

He makes himself look petty and bitter.

What a pillock

sorry, missed the sarcasm !!!

Even the Spurs fans think it was a pen, but that said, they felt Ali should have had a pen in the first half, and I thought he should have had a yellow for diving. Repeatedly.

I don’t know how the Spurs fans could have seen anything of that first half incident from over a hundred yards away. Like everybody else I thought that he had just slipped.

Whinging slippery toad though, should have been booked several times.