Saints 1 Spurs 0 - Reactions!

St Chalet

Special shout out to the wingey slippery toad Alli and his attempted swipe at McCarthy as he was picking the ball up. And his ridiculous dive after the slightest of nudges. Both yellow card offences, but for some reason, it slipped Spurs fan Mike Dean's notice. Can't think why. Dele Alli really is a loathsome footballer and goes right to the top of the tit league. And he looks like a praying mantis...

I think the fact Bertrand absolutely wellied it. It was hit so hard he had no time to react.

That said, if it had been given VAR would not have overruled it, IMO.

His arm was in such an ‘unnatural’ position and so far away from his body, I don’t think it matters how hard it was kicked.

The most blatant handball you’ll see all season and I cannot believe it wasn’t given (by the ref and VAR).

That was such a sweet victory, I was dreading them scoring and hearing them sing our song, but kept them quiet both on and off the pitch - brilliant.

So nice to be talking about positives. A midfield pair, who a few weeks ago were being slated as the the worst in the league playing like men possessed. Danny Ings showing he has it all in his locker, can score stunners as well as tap ins. A settled back four, two CBs have been excellent lately but special mention to Cedric who has struggled lately but to be fair to him was excellent yesterday.

Other observations, Mike Dean is a joke, literally not fit to referee. Mourinho is a d1ck, best song was “You’re just a sh1t Pochettino”, classic, saw a fair few Spuds applaud that one. It’s impressive when the whole ground sings OWTS, like at the end yesterday, be great if we did that just before kick off every game.

His arm was in such an ‘unnatural’ position and so far away from his body, I don’t think it matters how hard it was kicked.

The most blatant handball you’ll see all season and I cannot believe it wasn’t given (by the ref and VAR).

Agreed. He swings his arm up as he jumps to block the cross. I was certain VAR was going to say "penalty"

What a run of results. After the West Ham game, looking a these three fixtures you'd have been hard pushed to see us getting a point, let alone 7. Brilliant from the boys.

Yesterday I couldn't believe how much we looked like us of a few years ago. Organised, energetic, and clicking up top. Either Spurs had a real bad off day, or we helped contribute to it, but they were so so poor. I actually felt very comfortable in that I never worried about them equalising, even in the last 5 mins.

so much positivity is back, the team and the fans know we can win games, and some of the old habits are falling away. Lovely stuff.

Excellent performance and defensive display. Bednarek and Stephens were absolute rocks winning every header and also anticipating danger. JWP has turned into a influential centre mid who actually wins the ball. A couple of years ago he was weak and would bottle challenges, huge credit to him.

Don't need to mention Ings, he is amazing right now and looks like he will score with every chance. Ralph's subs were on point yesterday too.

What's more impressive with regards to the recent run is that we have stuck to the same keeper, back four and centre midfield during that period. Brilliant energy levels throughout the period and this is down to fitness levels.

Up the saints!

What a run of results. After the West Ham game, looking a these three fixtures you'd have been hard pushed to see us getting a point, let alone 7. Brilliant from the boys.

Yesterday I couldn't believe how much we looked like us of a few years ago. Organised, energetic, and clicking up top. Either Spurs had a real bad off day, or we helped contribute to it, but they were so so poor. I actually felt very comfortable in that I never worried about them equalising, even in the last 5 mins.

so much positivity is back, the team and the fans know we can win games, and some of the old habits are falling away. Lovely stuff.

lovely post. Great that the team and the fans are both enthused after what has been a pretty horrible season until recently.

In The Times this morning Tony Cascarino has three Saints players in his ‘Team of the Day’.

I’ll let you all try to guess their names.

I wouldn't have guessed the three that he chose. Nice to see other players getting recognition. Jose did also name and praise Stevens and Bednarek. (Not necessarily a clue). A lot of Jose’s antics are to deflect attention to allow him to avoid publicly blaming players for a poor performance, and too many of them were made to look poor yesterday. They did not look like a “team”, just as we didn’t until that second international break. The fact that we look like a team and look like we care is a Damascusian type conversion.

I wouldn't have guessed the three that he chose. Nice to see other players getting recognition. Jose did also name and praise Stevens and Bednarek. (Not necessarily a clue). A lot of Jose’s antics are to deflect attention to allow him to avoid publicly blaming players for a poor performance, and too many of them were made to look poor yesterday. They did not look like a “team”, just as we didn’t until that second international break. The fact that we look like a team and look like we care is a Damascusian type conversion.

Would you care to enlighten those of us who don't have a subscription to the Times paywall who the three players were?

I'm assuming Ings is one of them, but there are plenty of contenders for the other two spots.

Really fun game to watch... we had 11 warriors on the pitch and a 12th from the stand...

Special mention to the two center backs who were rock solid, PEH and JWP who bossed the midfield and the special one at the front (what a season he's having)

Credit to RH and his coaching staff, we've got our saints back...

Now hoping (praying) for some continuity in our standard and effort for the coming weeks.

COYS

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've just watched the MOTD highlights and for the Kane offside goal, he is clearly pushed towards goal by a Saints player (Hoj I think) as the free kick is taken, which is what puts him in an offside position.

That second half seemed to drag on in the middle - then suddenly we are into the final 10! Even though we looked the part you were just waiting for something spawny to happen, as it often does v Spurs and especially with Mike bloody Dean on the whistle.

Given the intensity of games we have played in the past 12 days with the effort we have put in I thought again we were impressive yesterday, just got right into their faces especially as the back 4, JWP and PEH have played every game, whilst Prowsey was snapping at everyones heels as he has been all Christmas I think the toll of his endeavours showed in the delivery of his corners and not quite the crisp whip - but hey thats not a criticism he's played well, and with PEH suddenly the midfield isnt a nice place to be for opposition players. Its like we have been playing with water in the petrol tank and someone has drained the tank changed the filters and put clean petrol in.

We all know its a "funny old game" - West Ham it wasn't funny at all.

All most of us Saints fans ask is that we see effort from the players for 90 minutes, hopefully spread the noses of the big boys across their faces along the way, the atmosphere at the final whistle of the last 2 games has been fantastic, actually it has been in the games too as we can at last see some effort.

Keep it up and who knows where we will end up, because right now the Premier League table is looking congested in the middle, to the point where its resembling a potential game of snakes and ladders, with Watford on the rise, the race to beyond 40 points might be required.

Would you care to enlighten those of us who don't have a subscription to the Times paywall who the three players were?

I'm assuming Ings is one of them, but there are plenty of contenders for the other two spots.

I’ll leave you guessing for a little while longer :)

I’m such a tease!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've just watched the MOTD highlights and for the Kane offside goal, he is clearly pushed towards goal by a Saints player (Hoj I think) as the free kick is taken, which is what puts him in an offside position.

No matter, there was another Spurs player to his left, who was even further offside, I suspect this was the player the flag was raised for.

Tony Cascarino in The Times (sorry about the image size, I’m on my iPad and am limited in my actions)

It came as no surprise that Harry Kane suffered an injury in Tottenham’ Hotspur’s defeat by Southampton. Until he was taken off, Kane had played every minute of his side’s five games since December 15.

He looked off the pace yesterday and Jan Bednarek, the Southampton centre back, was all over him. The consequence of playing him when not at his best? An injury that could keep him out for several weeks.

Contrast this with Danny Ings, whose winning goal sunk Spurs. The 27-year-old is every bit as important to Ralph Hasenhüttl’s team as Kane is to José Mourinho. He has scored 13 Premier League goals this season — more than half of his team’s tally — and yet Hasenhüttl chose to rest him for the trip to Chelsea, which Southampton won 2-0. Yesterday, he looked hungry and sharp.

The numbers point to the benefit of rest. Kane has played 435 minutes in Tottenham’s past five games, scoring twice. Ings has played 364 minutes over the same period but found the net four times.

Part of the problem for Spurs is that they do not have a clear alternative to lead the line. I have argued before that Tottenham need at least three players and that is without considering a move for a forward to put pressure on, and deputise for, Kane. Tottenham must find a way of reducing the burden on such an important figure.

62E609B1-8611-4A46-81E0-FDE19AC24EC3.jpg

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Tony Cascarino in The Times (sorry about the image size, I’m on my iPad and am limited in my actions)

It came as no surprise that Harry Kane suffered an injury in Tottenham’ Hotspur’s defeat by Southampton. Until he was taken off, Kane had played every minute of his side’s five games since December 15.

He looked off the pace yesterday and Jan Bednarek, the Southampton centre back, was all over him. The consequence of playing him when not at his best? An injury that could keep him out for several weeks.

Contrast this with Danny Ings, whose winning goal sunk Spurs. The 27-year-old is every bit as important to Ralph Hasenhüttl’s team as Kane is to José Mourinho. He has scored 13 Premier League goals this season — more than half of his team’s tally — and yet Hasenhüttl chose to rest him for the trip to Chelsea, which Southampton won 2-0. Yesterday, he looked hungry and sharp.

The numbers point to the benefit of rest. Kane has played 435 minutes in Tottenham’s past five games, scoring twice. Ings has played 364 minutes over the same period but found the net four times.

Part of the problem for Spurs is that they do not have a clear alternative to lead the line. I have argued before that Tottenham need at least three players and that is without considering a move for a forward to put pressure on, and deputise for, Kane. Tottenham must find a way of reducing the burden on such an important figure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2857[/ATTACH]

Hmm, surprised at those three really. To include McCarthy would suggest he had a lot to do to keep Spurs out, which he didn't.

And with all due respect to Bertrand and Bednarek, who both played a part in a good team performance, I don't really think they were the two standout outfield players.

Hmm, surprised at those three really. To include McCarthy would suggest he had a lot to do to keep Spurs out, which he didn't.

And with all due respect to Bertrand and Bednarek, who both played a part in a good team performance, I don't really think they were the two standout outfield players.

Surprised, Cascarino. ? He is a cock.

Yes, me too. To be fair to the poor chap he's got a column to get out so I wouldn't read too much into it but I thought it was interesting that we had three players in there. Perhaps we are starting to get taken seriously.

Mourinho really is a bad loser. Spurs 2nd best throughout, and VAR clearly doing them a favour as there have been plenty of penalties given for similar hand incidents

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Had to laugh when he commented that the ball boys had been well trained to slow the game down. Bloody hell, up to about 6 weeks ago the ball boys were the fastest ones on the pitch !!

Another really, really good display. I didn't see any of this coming when I left at HT back in November.

We pressed well for the majority of the game, we had more than one chance and we limited them to very, very little.

Really pleased to see Ings full of it, not just up front, but he's everywhere. He looks fit, hungry and really on it all over the pitch. That's what we paid the money for and I'm pleased he's finally showing it and he's finally in a place of decent fitness which we always worried about.

Redmond is sitll a bit frustrating this season, but was ok yesterday - he just doesn't seem as much of a threat as he was last year, not quite sure why but we'll see what happens as the season pans on.

Couple of tricky games coming up, but there are still points to be had if we play as we have been. Still loads of work to do and hopefully the coming month offers Ralph the possiblity to plug some obvious gaps so we can continue to climb and not get dragged back down.

For the record, this time last year we were 18th on 16 points. 9 points better off and 6 places higher is really good progress which I didn't see coming in November.

He'll be staying put. Ralph loves him and Bertie. Strange how he's dome a 180 on thees two players having more or less sidelined him earlier in the season. I'd offer Cedric

a two year contract to help us develop his eventual successor.

Cedric will go at the end of the season, he's said as much. We will probably sign his replacement this January and rotate for the rest of this season.

(Jokham Mahle i reckon)

I honestly don't think they have been trained to be slow.

My nephew in the Everton academy has done some games as ball boy, and I asked him about this. He said they were never explicitly directed to be slow when the away team got a throw, but it was very clearly implied that they should "use good sense". I imagine it is pretty much the same everywhere.

I used to like Mourinho, but it seems football has eaten away at his soul over the years. Being new to his current job I suppose he isn't going to slag off his players in public (yet), but he comes across as a world weary, defensive and petulant. Compare with the likes of a Hodgson or Dyche who it seems to me always give honest appraisals of a game, regardless of the result, and will never achieve what Jose has in football history. It's not our concern but what was once an entertaining character in football is rapidly losing all credibility with every passing week. He's taken the wrong job IMO, Spurs have had their high point under Poch and are now in decline. We, on the other hand, after 3 years of what can be politely described as mediocrity, seem on the up....

I meant they were always slow, but I was trying not to offend anyone on here who might be a parent or whatever of one of them 

There was a bigger older looking lad who sat in front of the Kingsland at the Chapel end - to quote Billy Sh*te he was top drawer at “****housing” when the clock needed running down he would fumble and faff about - can’t remember who it was against he faffed about just as the oppo player lost his patience and went to get the ball, this nipper turned the opposite way and kicked the ball right onto the touchline for the throw, player was spitting chips Saints players subtly giving the lad the thumbs up.

Only just caught up with the Mourinho comments after the match. Not sure I should say there is any pleasure in seeing how much damage his reputation has taken, although some people will feel like that. Mourinho seems to need some help, certainly from a PR professional, because of the damage he does to himself and the clubs he works for. The media love his after-match appearances because they know the public enjoy seeing him make a fool of himself. There was only one 'idiot' on the touchline, and he was the one who got the yellow card.

Only just caught up with the Mourinho comments after the match. Not sure I should say there is any pleasure in seeing how much damage his reputation has taken, although some people will feel like that. Mourinho seems to need some help, certainly from a PR professional, because of the damage he does to himself and the clubs he works for. The media love his after-match appearances because they know the public enjoy seeing him make a fool of himself. There was only one 'idiot' on the touchline, and he was the one who got the yellow card.

it seems like Spurs are already in season 3 of Mourinho...

No, he says things like these deliberately. He is the best manager in the world at taking attention off his team's poor performances by saying or doing something to grab the headlines - did it all the time at Man U when they were struggling. It just usually doesn't start until much further into a job.