Saints 1 Spurs 0 - Reactions!

St Chalet

The emotions are strange, still in shock at the turnaround. Survival still the aim, but we've got a great chance now. Weird seeing us win nearly every 50/50 ball, that sort of work rate and hunger is instilled by the manager. We'll done Ralph

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Such mental toughness that was missing earlier in the season. Stephens is growing in stature by the game. In the end the +5 minutes at the end were rather comfortable.

Armstrong coming in has been crucial to our success. Every player seems to know their role better.

Top performance, well done to them.

Having a genuinely solid GK has helped in spades but the partnership forming between Stephens (MOM for me) and Bednarek has been absolutely crucial to us being able to turn this season around.

Testament also to the character of the players also - whom I thought were proper bottlers earlier this year.

Hojberg even looked like a footballer today, great stuff.

Great result and performance. Having a generally settled side seems to be working a treat, maybe its also the Kitsbichler effect. Clean sheet at home, Ings with another, penalty wrongly overturned. To thin one more point to equal Fulham 19th place total last season, and only 9 to equal Cardiff's 18th, and with 17 games to go. Getting a nose bleed looking at the table. For probably first time in my life hoping for a ManU win, rather like being above Arsenal.

Mega performance. Stephens or Hojbjerg MOTM, even better last 15 minutes both kept the team going.

JWP and Ings quality again.

What a turnaround

Yes, I still haven't quite got used to the idea of JWP putting in crunching tackles but he regularly does so now - ask Sissoko! :lol:

What I loved most was our players in midfield getting around them like a pack of dogs when they had the ball, we gave a lot of fouls away but the message was "we are fighting for every ball" and Spurs weren't up for it !

The back four played well. The midfield two were good. It's good that JP has stopped trying to play like Steven Davis, He is now getting involved, getting stuck in and using his energy to get around all over the field. They are now closer together. We now have good pace, Armstrong is a big plus. Great route one goal for Ings, That's the way to do it. Stephens was the best of the back four. Djenepo is still finding his way. Redmond worked hard but needs to be much more incisive with the chances he gets. Ings is a brilliant little striker. I do think Obefimi, bearing in mind he's only playing 25 minutes could have worked a lot harder. We also should have been putting the ball in behind Spurs quicker to take advantage of our pace towards the end. Another win with 41% possession. Being more direct does that and it works for us.

One criticism, closing out the game in the last few minutes, two corners, what the hell were we doing putting them into the box. Keep the defence solid, keep the ball in the corner and play it off the defenders, don't leave us four against three. We held out but we have to be more ruthless closing the game out.

Edited by derry

Had the 9-0 been a mere 3-0 against Leicester, we'd even be above Everton in 10th (and top half of the table right now). Huge progress. And with every win, we are chipping away at that goal difference, something draws don't accomplish. Full credit to Ralph for turning this around, and full credit to the board etc for not pulling the trigger when they could so easily have done that.

Yeah well said ,had the club listened to some of the so called supporters RH would have been axed ,some who lead us believe they are coaches tactical experts,directors,financial wizards,(pretty multi talented.) but not any them owns a football club or manages at these levels.Unfortunately I can only assume some take great delight with trivial slander and dubious statements.ROLLON 2020 without these sensless posting.Except I will get some after this posting.Happy new year to all

Great performance against 12 men.

Stephens and Ward Prowse have stepped up hugely. That was one of JWP’s best games, despite set pieces being a bit off.

McCarthy and Bednarek were composed and solid. Cedric and Bertrand were excellent. Hojbjerg was tidier than usual. Armstrong so hard working and committed.

Ings - proper class.

Djenepo didn’t have a great game but worked hard. Redmond worked hard but, frankly, was poor on the ball.

One of our best performances of the season.

Well done, Ralph and the lads.

What I loved most was our players in midfield getting around them like a pack of dogs when they had the ball, we gave a lot of fouls away but the message was "we are fighting for every ball" and Spurs weren't up for it !

They’re ‘good’ fouls to give away in safe parts of the pitch. Grubby tactical fouling which all the good teams do. Better than being a soft touch

great result.

Only a few weeks ago I was saying we should be doing much better and Ralph has to sort his shyt out...was told that the players were only good enough for 17th at best...

what is it?

anyone have the highlights of the game?

Yes, I still haven't quite got used to the idea of JWP putting in crunching tackles but he regularly does so now - ask Sissoko! :lol:

I really liked his professional foul when Spurs caught us on the break. That ruthlessness is exactly what you need at this level. That bit of nastiness and doing everything possible to stop the opponent gaining the advantage is helping to stop those break away goals that hurt us badly earlier in the season.

I have to say I was relatively calm for the last ten minutes compared to normal. We seem to have a bit more solidity, and luck...

Stoppage time was relatively comfortable. At one point Saints kicked it out and Spurs ambled up to the ball to take the throw in. They’d given up. We harried and hustled them into submission. They look like a team that blew their big chance last season and are now in a decline.

Scrappy niggly game, particularly 2nd half, lots of errors from both teams, a certain pen not given by VAR, we would have lost this a few weeks ago. Expected more from Spurs but we harried them all game and they looked very average. Good performance from Hoj and the CB's again did well, Beds had Kane in his pocket for most of the match. Ali is a niggly dishonest little s*d and should have been carded on a number of occasions. Danny boy again the difference between one point and 3.

We will play better than this and lose but who cares, a massive win, at home and a clean sheet.

Happy new year Jose, welcome to SMS!

great result.

Only a few weeks ago I was saying we should be doing much better and Ralph has to sort his shyt out...was told that the players were only good enough for 17th at best...

what is it?

anyone have the highlights of the game?

Here...

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I thought Cedric had a great game too as well as others have mentioned.

Where has JWP tackling like that come from? Outstanding display from all and the niggly fouls from us stopped their momentum .

Stephens and Bednarek were very solid read it and sniffed out danger.

I was really down after West Ham game we didn’t compete at all now we do!!!

Armstrong is such a good player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

RH definitely deserves some credit for our turn around in form, but something else seems to have changed behind the scenes & we made our subs at a logical time for the first time in ages & have improved defensively, what/who is influencing us?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Simply staggering turnaround.

Who’d of thought playing a settled side and players in the correct positions would pay off.

Long way to go,but we might do some business in January.... but more positive right now.

Perhaps the penny dropped for Ralph that trying to be too clever was our failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a fantastic turnaround during the festive period and it seems that Hasenhuttl has hit on the right formation, tactics and the strongest starting eleven. A settled team over this period has enabled understandings to have developed between the players all over the pitch, the defence, midfield and attack. There is now an affective spine running through the team front to back.

In the Spurs team, Son Heung-min might have tipped the balance their way, but their team is still filled with players of the highest quality in terms of ability. The edge we had was in terms of desire, cohesion and sheer grit. The sum of our parts was greater than the sum of theirs on the day, and frankly we outplayed them, much as we had Chelsea earlier. The style of our play reminded me very much of how we played under a former manager of both teams on the pitch, Pochettino. There was the high press, the high energy closing down and hunting in packs to regain possession when the ball was lost. Tactically, Hasenhuttl keeps up the momentum and pressure to the end of the game by replacing players who have run themselves into the ground with fresh legs of speedy substitutes who can also provide the threat of running onto balls over the top to pen the other team's defence back, but also to get back fast into defensive positions if required. Long and Obafemi are good at that, but Ings and Armstrong are the first choice to get you the lead from the start. Romeu is useful to add bite to a tiring midfield when the game needs to be seen out.

Mike Dean had his usually poor refereeing performance, with the customary chants of "you don't know what you're doing" following a succession of free kicks awarded to Spurs for their players falling over if anybody breathed too hard on them, whilst ignoring many far more deserving appeals for fouls against our players. How he still maintains a place refereeing matches in the top flight is a complete mystery to me. How he ignored Alli's pathetic dives in our box on three occasions without giving him at least one yellow, was either incompetence, negligence or bias. At least he did manage to give one to Mourinho, but that was probably because the match was televised and he was playing to the gallery.

Yes. It would be nice if the people saying "it's over, down" etc would learn. Every season the same, whether it's about us or another side. They don't seem to understand what form is despite having watched decades of football. Bizarre.

I don't think we'll go down and I don't think Watford will either, so it's going to be interesting to see who does. Have a feeling about Newcastle now, not a club that seems ready to rally together in a rough patch.

Best not to count too many chickens just yet.

Merson promoting Ings as an acquisition for Spurs.

Let’s face it if he keeps up this form and doesn’t get injured for the rest of the season he’s going to attract interest and his head may very well/definitely will be turned. Cannot see him going this window though.

Credit to Ralph to admit he was getting it badly wrong and then having the resolve to put it right. Also what has possessed JWP?? Absolutely bossed it today and his block 50/50 tackle on sisoko was immense. It’s taken some time but we’ve got our identity back again. Well done lads

Spurs on the other hand. Shambles