Saints 2 Huddersfield 0 - Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

The referee awarded free kicks for pull backs/fouls on players counter attacking but didn't give yellows (on more than one occasion). The one on Obafemi very late on was the most obvious.

He was trying too hard to impress. Wasn’t relaxed and in control of the game. This can happen when a junior referee gets given a higher profile game. They tend to get fussy and pernickety and you can end up with a stop-start game.

The referee awarded free kicks for pull backs/fouls on players counter attacking but didn't give yellows (on more than one occasion). The one on Obafemi very late on was the most obvious.

Good point, Romeu got away with a stonewall yellow stopping a break on the halfway line. There were a couple of others but he did at least give the foul, so I’m not too upset.

Pretty disjointed performance all in all which was maybe to be expected with so many changes.. probably worst game for boufal this season.. I’ve liked most of his performances don’t think the disjointed team helped but not much coming off for him. Adams likewise didn’t make much impact. Thought long was great managed to turn a floaty overhit Danso cross into a assist even with pressure from a couple of defenders.. I think long deserves his spot alongside ings in the first 11 atm he gives so much more then goals .. also quite impressed with romeau thought his decision making was good he’s quite good at making himself space and playing the right passes.

Last thing Danso really doesn’t look like a fullback for me.. but he does have some good physical attributes, still leaves me wondering what he’s be like in cb position

As much as I dislike Boufal, can someone explain to me why the penalty shout wasn't looked at by VAR, yet we have a perfectly looking goal chalked off because Long had a nasal hair offside? From here I was sat in the Kingsland corner it looked a pen all day long

A very flat game. We were poor (maybe not surprising given 10 changes) but even then Huddersfield where x10 worse. Romeu and JWP controlled the middle of the park all game and were our best two players. Defence was barely troubled but still managed to look ropey at times with self inflicted mistakes. Our weakest area was our attack, two strikers who work hard but couldn't score in a brothel, backed up by another non performance from Boufal. Really these three should be looking good against this level of **** poor opposition.

Still its a cup game so winning is all that really matters on to the next round.

It wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but Ralph wanted to rest a number of players who have put in a monumental effort recently so he put out a team that he thought was capable of getting us into the next round, and they did - job done.

Like many, I was hoping to see more goal threat from Adams today, but he was well marked by Hudds and got no decent service, and he linked up well with other players, notably the ball to Vokins for his goal. Not ready to give up on him just yet.

Vestergard was very poor and put us in trouble a few times with dreadful balls out of defence straight to the opposition who were thankfully too crap to capitalise.

A clean sheet and through into the next round without a replay, can’t argue with that. Hardly a dazzling spectacle but you can’t really expect to cobble 11 fringe players together and play beautiful flowing football. Vokins goal was superb though, worth £12 on its own.

I don’t think many of the performances were as bad as some make out. JWP covered a lot of ground and played well, Yoshida was fine as far as I’m concerned and I actually thought Danso looked comfortable enough at RB. Not much going forward but he is a CB. Decent game and goal from Smallbone. Romeu broke up play well, Vest made a few errors.

I wanted Adams to score but I don’t think he had any decent service all game. Long was Long, runs around, is offside, doesn’t do much else.

Boufal - everything I don’t like about him. He’s got all the skills and no brain. He’ll beat a defender with a neat trick, then try and do exactly the same to the next two instead of playing the ball. Second half he just seemed to lose interest.

Oh well, a day out and into the pot on Monday.

His disallowed goal was well-taken and only mm offside, and he had a very nice assist for the first goal. I thought he did ok.

Incidentally Romeu was ok too, not sure he's getting slagged off by some here. He's a good player, but not really suited to park the bus teams. Better suited to ones that come at us (like Leicester will next week).

I thought Vest, Boufal and Adam's had disappointing games, although the latter had a nice assist on the second goal. Danso is also getting slagged off, but he's not a RB. I don't think he was that bad, and he's got a nice throw in. Everyone else was ok, even if no one was outstanding. Job done.

Well that was garbage 64% possession rather Saints 40% with Yoshida and Vestergaard 24% just passing backwards and sdeways to each other. It's boring, the way we played until 0-9 and the way we certainly don't want to play like that again. The forwards were given poor service, Boufal was poor, Smallbone too narrow which didn't help, good goal. JWP and Romeu ok. Danso ok first half didn't look as good second half. Vokins ok, good goal but needs to fill out, very slight, not physically strong. Yoshida and Vestergaard need to be given a ball and made to pass to each other all day so they never want to do it again. It was a nonsense the way they played together and pretty well neutered our attacking slowing everything down. Luckily Huddersfield weren't even that good.

Not sure how we could expect 11 players with no experience of playing as a unit putting in any sort of cohesive performance. All of our recent success has been built on the drill-perfected presses and players instinctively knowing where their teammates are. Even if this first 11 spent every minute after spurs working together they’d have no chance of putting in a first-team worthy performance.

Well that was garbage 64% possession rather Saints 40% with Yoshida and Vestergaard 24% just passing backwards and sdeways to each other. It's boring, the way we played until 0-9 and the way we certainly don't want to play like that again. The forwards were given poor service, Boufal was poor, Smallbone too narrow which didn't help, good goal. JWP and Romeu ok. Danso ok first half didn't look as good second half. Vokins ok, good goal but needs to fill out, very slight, not physically strong. Yoshida and Vestergaard need to be given a ball and made to pass to each other all day so they never want to do it again. It was a nonsense the way they played together and pretty well neutered our attacking slowing everything down. Luckily Huddersfield weren't even that good.

We still won 2-0 even if we were mostly crap and only beat p*ss poor teams.

Crap performance but job done - make that many changes to a squad and of course it’s going to be disjointed.

Had no idea VAR was being used for the competition until the check came up on the big screen. The fact that it’s only being used at Premier League grounds is a farce, yes we have the facilities but it has the potential to cause a massive unfair advantage in favour of the football league sides.

If it was a comfortable win it couldn't have been THAT awful, could it?

Sometimes you do have to put it in perspective a little bit - an 11 thrown together who haven't had much game time full stop, never mind as a unit. If some of the players aren't great it will of course affect the whole team. Add to that a half empty stadium and an opposition who aren't very good but equally would likely play cautiously and you have a recipe for either an average game or an embarrassing defeat.

Ok, fine, it might not have been a bunch of players showing how brilliant they are, but we barely get that from our best eleven nevermind our reserves. Equally had we been lucky to win and Huddersfield did everything but score, then fine. But then it wouldn't have been a 'comfortable win', would it?

Common sense at last. Most of the players out there today are perfectly well aware that they are now second choice in Ralph's preferred best XI so why would they be motivated to make an extra effort to impress as it would serve them no purpose. Once Ralph has a mindset it is very difficult to knock him off course.

The time to impress is when players are called off the bench in a PL match not when forced to play in some second rate inconsequential knock-out competition which they have no chance of winning anyway.

Was really hoping Adams would shine today, sounds like he didn’t.

Pity.

He was getting next to no service because the ball was going sideways and backwards for 80 of the 90 minutes. Our new approach does not appear to have percolated down to the second string.

Wasn't great but we're through. JWP bossed the midfield, Vokins looked OK and scored a nice goal, Smallbone looks like he could be decent if he bulks up a bit. Danso sound defending but poor going forward - are we ever going to get to see him play CB? Romeu slows everything down every time he gets the ball. Won't someone please pass early to Adams.

Mixed feelings. A win, a clean sheet, academy players scoring ... what’s not to like?

BUT ... in addition to seeing Saints win, I go to the foootie to be entertained and this was a truly turgid, dull, dull, dull performance. The endless triangle of sideways, forwards, backwards, repeat passing between Yoshida, Vestergaard and Romeu was painful to watch. Further the passing was often sloppy and better sides than Huddersfield would have punished us. If we were boring, then Huddersfield were even worse. They had utterly no ambition and I am puzzled as to what they were trying to achieve.

To those regulars who weren’t there, this was a good game to have missed.

Thank heavens for the Vokins goal; a glimmer of light amongst the darkness. But we did what we had to do and the first eleven can be fresh for the revenge match against Leicester.

There was a bit of an issue with the row in front of me in the central Kingsland. Three young ladies turned up and took their seats and then two young gents came along with duplicate tickets for two of them. How can that happen?

Not just a bit of an issue Whitey Grandad but a right old royal mess up. Thought it was all going to kick off at one point.

The taller of the three ladies actually got quite violent downstairs when dealing with the stewards and almost got herself kicked out. However turns out she knows someone who works at the club and her and her two friends subsequently got moved into hospitality free of charge. :mcinnes:

Not just a bit of an issue Whitey Grandad but a right old royal mess up. Thought it was all going to kick off at one point.

The taller of the three ladies actually got quite violent downstairs when dealing with the stewards and almost got herself kicked out. However turns out she knows someone who works at the club and her and her two friends subsequently got moved into hospitality free of charge. :mcinnes:

There were plenty of spares in The Chapel Kop :D

S******...isnt that what tampons are for.