Britain's Next Top Prime Minister - Labour Leadership Election 2020.

CB Fry

Surely there's a responsibility on the shoulders of the parents to give sensible advice to their children, especially when it comes to finances and debt?

I don't think I can be any clearer with my daughter and further education. If she decides to follow a career that 'needs' a degree to enter into it - doctor, lawyer, vet, etc - then she will have my full support to obtain the qualifications necessary. If she decides to go to uni for the sake of going to uni and getting some no mark degree in business studies or economics or media with no real plan or career goal for using the degree, then she will have to live with the burden of what will frankly be a pointless debt.

Equally I have advised her to seriously consider a career path that has a solid apprenticeship route to achieve the same qualifications as attending uni - earn while you learn is a no-brainer surely?

I think that you talk a lot of sense but unfortunately it is not quite as easy as you suggest. I know several law graduates who have unfulfilling jobs which do not use their law knowledge. My cousin's daughter is a qualified vet who vet who at the age of 30 wants to start a new career away from treating animals. On the other hand an economics degree proved to be the foundation for many accountants that I know to have successful careers.

I would suggest that the advice that you offer is sound but don't be too prescriptive. At the end of the day it should be your daughter's choice as to her future career.

Surely there's a responsibility on the shoulders of the parents to give sensible advice to their children, especially when it comes to finances and debt?

I don't think I can be any clearer with my daughter and further education. If she decides to follow a career that 'needs' a degree to enter into it - doctor, lawyer, vet, etc - then she will have my full support to obtain the qualifications necessary. If she decides to go to uni for the sake of going to uni and getting some no mark degree in business studies or economics or media with no real plan or career goal for using the degree, then she will have to live with the burden of what will frankly be a pointless debt.

Equally I have advised her to seriously consider a career path that has a solid apprenticeship route to achieve the same qualifications as attending uni - earn while you learn is a no-brainer surely?

Has she considered a Chemistry degree at the University of Portsmouth?

One is working in a shop because she can’t get a job using her degree. Two are worried about their student debt and what they are going to do when they leave uni. If you think that starting out life heavily in debt (even before you get involved with a mortgage) is “doing nicely” then yes.

That’s the legacy of pinkos wanting 50% of kids to go to uni.

When I was at school the elite (as in brightest) went to uni & it was free. Uni has now been watered down, with polys now called university & every Tom, **** and Harriet going. Being a soft arsed leftie I’ve no doubt you supported this change. Your kids “debt” is the legacy.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was at school the elite (as in brightest) went to uni & it was free. Uni has now been watered down, with polys now called university & every Tom, **** and Harriet going. Being a soft arsed leftie I’ve no doubt you supported this change. Your kids “debt” is the legacy.......

Come on, the Universities are just as much about trying to provide a cash influx to places that needed an economic boost as much as it is about providing education. All that sweet student debt propping up medium sized cities.

Come on, the Universities are just as much about trying to provide a cash influx to places that needed an economic boost as much as it is about providing education. All that sweet student debt propping up medium sized cities.

Here you are kids, rack up £25k of debt to prop up a corner shop in Loughborough, or pay for a Nottingham landlord's Buy to Let mortgage.

No, I didn’t support it but their debt is down to the way that you hard nosed righties run the economy.

No, I didn’t support it but their debt is down to the way that you hard nosed righties run the economy.

Rightly, I don’t want to pay for someone to participate in media studies at the naff uni by St Marys

Edited by Batman

The hard-nosed attitude that says that if people wish to avail themselves of further education beyond secondary level which ought to result them earning more, that they should contribute to part of its cost? Would you expect it to be free, so that those who did not benefit from it, had to pay for all those who did?

LD is right. Before all these tech colleges converted into second rate universities, a degree meant something. The cost of educating the brightest scholars was offset by them paying tax at higher levels because they went on to well paid jobs for the rest of their careers. The system was at the very least self-financing, if not very profitable to the Exchequer. Now the degrees are substantially devalued because the number of universities is massively increased with the number of scholars going to Uni and taking worthless degree courses.

As a result, we are at a stage whereby unless a degree is obtained at a top Uni in a subject that has real merit in the jobs market, it is probably a more sensible option to get a decent job on the basis of good A level results rather than going to Uni. Instead of joining the dole queue at the end of three years with a worthless bit of paper saying that you have a degree in media studies and a substantial debt, that individual could have achieved three years of valuable work experience, be a known quantity to their employer in terms of ability and reliability, and therefore a better option as an employee than most post-graduate applicants.

One is working in a shop because she can’t get a job using her degree. Two are worried about their student debt and what they are going to do when they leave uni. If you think that starting out life heavily in debt (even before you get involved with a mortgage) is “doing nicely” then yes.

Student 'loans' aren't a debt... It's a graduate contribution...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

[video=youtube_share;M3On2PG1CZA]

Soggy doesn’t like universal credit because he’s Mrs had issues with it, and doesn’t like student finance because it costs his kids money. Very principled.

Do you have any personal experience of Universal Credit? Have you spoken to anybody who has? Have you seen the film I Daniel Blake? No wonder people think that many Tories are arseholes. The system sucks.

Do you have any personal experience of Universal Credit? Have you spoken to anybody who has? Have you seen the film I Daniel Blake? No wonder people think that many Tories are arseholes. The system sucks.

Why would I want to watch that load of old pony. I try not to watch stuff made by anti semite’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would I want to watch that load of old pony. I try not to watch stuff made by anti semite’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which probably explains why you are so badly informed Duckie. Just think yourself lucky that you don’t have to use the system. If you did you would have some sympathy for those who are stuck with it.

I do understand your resentment SOG but when you mentioned that you were sore that we/government wouldn't pay your mortgage you lost me a bit there.

Iam fortunate that I haven't any experience of UC but is there a system that works for all??

And now voice of the common people Jess "pass the mic" Phillips will be endorsing a male millionaire for leader. What I like about Jess is she really sticks to her principles.
Hands up. Looks like the rumours were untrue. Jess has done something vaguely sensible for once and is endorsing Nandy for leader. I do think she's the best choice really and if they don't elect her they are fools.

Hands up. Looks like the rumours were untrue. Jess has done something vaguely sensible for once and is endorsing Nandy for leader. I do think she's the best choice really and if they don't elect her they are fools.

Like Stewart & that chump Gyimah did for the tories, she only stood as a publicity stunt. Absolutely no substance to her at all. Not that the others have much. They’re no marks.

When you look at the leadership election James Callaghan won and compare the standing of the candidates you can see just how far the party has fallen. Benn, Healy, foot, Anthony Crossland, Jenkins & Callaghan himself.

Emily Thornbury stood up well to Andrew Neills rather curt grilling tonight, but whoever is elected will be left with the Corbyn legacy hanging over them for some time. The world has changed but it seems that politicians form either side do not have the gravitas they used to have. The traditional leftist politics of Labour do not appeal to enough people to win an election, the New Labour experiment was exciting at the time but ended in failure and permanent ingomony for Blair (knife sharpener to the butcher of Baghdad, sorry Middle East peace envoy) and disarray in the party. It seems they have nowhere to go and may be unelectable for a very long time.

Isnt she the one who is closest to the one who follows Corbyns policies. If so !!!

I do understand your resentment SOG but when you mentioned that you were sore that we/government wouldn't pay your mortgage you lost me a bit there.

Iam fortunate that I haven't any experience of UC but is there a system that works for all??

Just to be clear Nick, we weren’t sore that UC wouldn’t cover our mortgage (but it did rankle us that, when the chap explained that we would be getting no financial support at all, that they would have paid our rent if we had been renting). Just getting to the point when they said there was nothing for us was a monumental struggle, and we are both computer literate. You can’t apply without a computer or access to one which puts many people at a disadvantage straight away. My wife is 53 years old. She has worked since leaving college and has paid her NI contributions. She expected financial assistance when through no fault of her own, she was out of work for a while. I paid the mortgage with my pension but there are still other bills to be paid, for food for example. We ended up getting into debt but fortunately she found another job 6 months ago so we can now afford to deal with the debt. My pension is not enough for me to give up working though and I shall need to work part time until I die. We didn’t expect charity but we did expect help. There are an awful lot of people far worse off than us, goodness knows how they cope. There will never be a perfect system, but this one is truly dreadful. We were denied help because I have an income. It was not enough for us both the live on. Any system should be means tested surely? We didn’t even have the courtesy of a phone call to explain the situation. Just an email saying that our allowance was £0. We had to go searching through a lot of other guff before we worked out why that was. It is a real shame that those people who don’t give a toss about UC because they don’t have to use it, have no idea about how the system works. If so they might be a bit more sympathetic to those who are reliant on it for help.

• 2 weeks later...
Rebecca long Bailey is corbyn with tits. Nandy seems like a more centrist candidate, speaks well and sounds genuine. If I were voting I'd vote for her.

No, Rebecca Long-Bailey is Dominic Cummings in a wig.

Or are they the same person? Have they ever been seen in the same place?

The constituency Labour Party of North Islington, whose MP is Mr Jeremy Corbyn, have voted to nominate Kier Starmer as their choice for leader. Not the fatuous drip and vapid acolyte Rebecca Long Bailey.

Maybe, just maybe, the era of of The Cretin is coming to an end.

Some of the data from this is unreal and shows the Labour membership in a particularly poor light. Not a cult, though.

Polled less than 1 in 50 members. Must be accurate then.

Nothing to do with negative press coverage, the media have zero influence on people's perceptions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-election-press-media-conservative-tory-labour-criticism-bias-a9255551.html

Anyway, surprised you care so long you've got your trips to Florida safely in the bag.

Polled less than 1 in 50 members. Must be accurate then.

Nothing to do with negative press coverage, the media have zero influence on people's perceptions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-election-press-media-conservative-tory-labour-criticism-bias-a9255551.html

Anyway, surprised you care so long you've got your trips to Florida safely in the bag.

1,000 respondents in a poll is acceptable standard sample for a national opinion poll, so its perfectly fine as a sample for a much smaller group of the population.

It's all looking very hopeful so far and maybe, just maybe Labour might just turn into the thing you hate and fear the most: A Labour party focused on getting into power and making actual decisions and enacting actual policies that make actual change to the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society. No longer a cosy little self congratulatory protest club.

I know you've told us all you are wealthy enough never to be bothered about that and prefer to posture snd pontificate on the sidelines but I have a deep seated belief that change is always possible and it starts at the ballot box.

An interesting aticle. Labour will not win elections if it is seen as the party that penalises aspiration.

Thats always been an election issue though. How do you level up without levelling down? How do you maximise potential and make success in life less dependent on which parents you had and where you went to school.

1,000 respondents in a poll is acceptable standard sample for a national opinion poll, so its perfectly fine as a sample for a much smaller group of the population.

It's all looking very hopeful so far and maybe, just maybe Labour might just turn into the thing you hate and fear the most: A Labour party focused on getting into power and making actual decisions and enacting actual policies that make actual change to the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society. No longer a cosy little self congratulatory protest club.

I know you've told us all you are wealthy enough never to be bothered about that and prefer to posture snd pontificate on the sidelines but I have a deep seated belief that change is always possible and it starts at the ballot box.

"Hate and fear the most" lolz

Not sure why you think I'm wealthy, just because I might have been a beneficiary of a generously low inheritance tax. Anyway, I thought you'd be intensely relaxed about other people getting filthy rich.

At least Kier Starmer has the guts to call out the British press

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/sirkeir-starmer-blames-unbalanced-press-coverage-for-vilification-of-jeremy-corbyn-1742444

Rightly, I don’t want to pay for someone to participate in media studies at the naff uni by St Marys

My wife did media studies at uni. Got a job in marketing on the back of it ans now earns £70k per year so I wouldn’t worry too much if the kid has brains and drive to compete in the world after uni.