George O’Brien Echo Disgrace

manji

George was sitting in care home drinking a cup of tea when The Echo broke the “story”. One of the relatives spoke to Terry Paine who like a lot of us believed it. After many phone calls it was verified George was fine.

Also the “quotes” from Terry Paine are lifted from an ancient interview.

Clearly not as important but but the Echo quoting Ralph as saying how great JWP playing 15 matches in 5 days as well.

I been surprised when posters take Echo transfer stories seriously. Clearly the supposed “journalists” spend their time trawling the net for stories. All they have to do is put “the Echo believes” in front of any gossip and they are covered.

I know a few members of the family so maybe I’m not in a position to comment but I’d sue the arse off the rag.

24 hours after printing a page obituary they have printed an apology. Thier excuse is false. One of his close relatives found out about his demise from a friend in the USA who had sent him a link to The Online story. It’s difficult because you don’t want to add to thier Distress but I think the Echo should be hauled over the coals.

I know for a fact the paper prints many inaccurate stories . Being a reporter there appears to involve scrolling through Twitter and similar outlets.

It used to be that “facts were sacred” in journalism. Sources were checked a rechecked. If editors were unsure things would get spiked. It seems like social media has just watered everything down and brought publishing down to its own level. Still, it is not only the Echo. National newspapers have been known to run obits on famous people before they have died (long before social media came along). Shoddy work.

24 hours after printing a page obituary they have printed an apology. Thier excuse is false. One of his close relatives found out about his demise from a friend in the USA who had sent him a link to The Online story. It’s difficult because you don’t want to add to thier Distress but I think the Echo should be hauled over the coals.

I know for a fact the paper prints many inaccurate stories . Being a reporter there appears to involve scrolling through Twitter and similar outlets.

Apparently they are "pleased to report he is living in a care home". Really quite disgraceful "journalism".

Apparently they are "pleased to report he is living in a care home". Really quite disgraceful "journalism".

Why didn’t they phone the care home up. Apparently the story started from chit chat between some taxi drivers.

Why didn’t they phone the care home up. Apparently the story started from chit chat between some taxi drivers.

So when you wrote this in the 'Jimmy Shields RIP' thread, was it just a typo?

"George did pass away in December. I know the family. Incidentally The Echo rag article is littered with inaccuracies"

"George did pass away in December. I know the family. Incidentally The Echo rag article is littered with inaccuracies"

I thought that. I replied to him stating that he categorically hadn’t died. Turned out both the echo and Manji were wrong.

Because the family at the time thought he was dead. That’s how bad this is.

Because the family at the time thought he was dead. That’s how bad this is.

Nah you seem like a proper oddball with vendetta against Echo rather than feeling sad about George O'Brien, your posts are all over the place.

I have no idea about this story but I doubt they just prank families by posting obituaries, something seems strange about this whoever told the echo is probably who you want to be angry with.