Le Tiss/Ron Davies

spyinthesky

Two players who I have enjoyed more than most in my long time supporting the Saints.

However I wonder how both would have fared in modern football where physicality and fitness is paramount?

Le Tiss may have been compromised by enhanced pressing whilst Big Ron may well have suffered from taller defenders (whereas the average height of centre halves in his day were around the 6' mark)

Of course this is all speculation.

All I can really say is that I am so grateful to have seen both of them (pus Sir Michael de Channon, Terry Paine and Kevin Keegan) in their prime!!

Ron had an amazing spring on him and great timing which made it look like he hung in the air. Both would have been subject to the current training/eating regimes but might not have been able to deal with them. If they could deal with the process of being a professional footballer they certainly had the skills to compete nowadays.

From my forum name you can guess what I think!

Ron was the best in the air I have seen in lifetime of watching football.

He was lucky he had 2 good suppliers in Paine and Sydenham but I have no doubt he would be worth multiple millions nowadays.

Matt was a genius and would probably be playing abroad where his talent recognised more than UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Davies would win every ball he went for because he wouldn't be standing around in the goal area, he starts his run to intercept the ball with his best jump. I have never seen anybody ever get as high as him.

I watched Matt's 100 goals on TV this afternoon, he wouldn't have any bother either.

Ron Davies would win every ball he went for because he wouldn't be standing around in the goal area, he starts his run to intercept the ball with his best jump. I have never seen anybody ever get as high as him.

I watched Matt's 100 goals on TV this afternoon, he wouldn't have any bother either.

The central defender I recollect who dealt with Ron the best was Billy Baxter at Ipswich Town.

I found this remarkable at the time as Billy Baxter was only about 5' 9" but, like Ron, had a real good spring.

My dad used to mention Ron a lot (before my time), said he would out-jump the keeper even ?

As for MLT, much would depend on his attitude regarding modern training/diet etc, who knows how good he would be now, a slightly more languid Messi maybe ?

I was lucky enough to be an ST holder when he was playing, and aside from the obvious goal scoring genius, I must be wrong here but I don't ever recall him mis-placing a pass or being caught in possession. Often he was like the bigger boy in the playground who was miles better than everyone else...

Ron was my first real hero. the hours we spent waiting in the Dell car park waiting after training to get an autograph, and not being able to speak as I was in awe.

We used to walk past hishouse in Pirrie Ave hoping to get a glimpse of him. In those days footballers lived in very modest homes compared t today

Big Ron would have faired very well. He was super fit, and was also very good with the ball at his feet. With the namby pamby boots players wear today he would have jumped even higher than he did and his bullet headers with the old leather balls would be unstoppable with the bits of plastic used today. Don't think big defenders are an issue nowadays, most PL don't see the need, obviously one or two exceptions.

Not sure about MLT, can't see how he would have made it even into an Academy, let alone in the PL with his fitness issues. But maybe with the right training methods he could have overcome his natural deficiencies, but his loathing of training might suggest otherwise.

Big Ron would have faired very well. He was super fit, and was also very good with the ball at his feet. With the namby pamby boots players wear today he would have jumped even higher than he did and his bullet headers with the old leather balls would be unstoppable with the bits of plastic used today. Don't think big defenders are an issue nowadays, most PL don't see the need, obviously one or two exceptions.

Not sure about MLT, can't see how he would have made it even into an Academy, let alone in the PL with his fitness issues. But maybe with the right training methods he could have overcome his natural deficiencies, but his loathing of training might suggest otherwise.

That is unfair on MLT, if you listen to him he says he didnt mind training. A modern training and fitness regime would sort him and his desire would have seen him still make it IMO

A night out on the lash I would prefer Ron's company.

Been thinking about this, and Ron in the context of how he would have fared nowadays. Not sure his lifestyle would be in keeping with the super fit athlete now required. Ron was I believe a regular member of "lock ins" during the 1960's, now of course with more relaxed licensing laws such "lock ins" aren't a feature.

The downside though is that with social media I expect Ron's presence 'after closing hours' would be well documented. With a close watch on Twitter etc I suspect the manager (even Ted Bates or someone monitoring on his behalf ) would have found it easier tracking his whereabouts.

Can't remember the player but I do remember a story of Ted going to a pub or nightclub to hoist a player out after a 'tip off'. Perhaps FF with his historians hat on can tell us if this is just a myth.

That is unfair on MLT, if you listen to him he says he didnt mind training. A modern training and fitness regime would sort him and his desire would have seen him still make it IMO

He always said he hated training when I heard him. Anyway why is it unfair? Are you a snowflake or something?

One thing for sure is that neither of them would have stayed around very long had they been playing these days. Don’t give me any of this loyalty pony. They’d be modern players, with modern agents, modern values and modern money chucked at them from an early age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing for sure is that neither of them would have stayed around very long had they been playing these days. Don’t give me any of this loyalty pony. They’d be modern players, with modern agents, modern values and modern money chucked at them from an early age.

Probably not but luckily we don't have to find out and have good memories of their loyalty to our small provincial club and their skill.

Ron would have gone to Man Utd like a shot in 1969 when they offered £200,000 for him after Sir Matt Busby described him as the best centre forward in Europe. But the Saints board said "no", and that was it. No tantrums, sulks, or campaign through the media.

Ron would have gone to Man Utd like a shot in 1969 when they offered £200,000 for him after Sir Matt Busby described him as the best centre forward in Europe. But the Saints board said "no", and that was it. No tantrums, sulks, or campaign through the media.

Ted Bates kept the bid secret from him so he knew nothing about it until many years later.

Ted Bates kept the bid secret from him so he knew nothing about it until many years later.

Did he hide all the newspapers from him? It was plastered over most of them.

My mate's dad was painting their house and suggested in large lettering on the facing wall, that we should take the money.