Spurs in the cup

Stud mark of doom

Surprised there is no thread on this already. I can’t wait.

Some of my best cup memories are of us playing the “mighty” spurs: I was right behind the goal when we pulverised them 3-1 at WHL in 1990, with MLT and Rod Wallace running riot; and one of our best performances ever was the 4-0 on our run to the final in 2003, with that great Svensson goal too.

Also went up to see us get a good draw at WHL in late 90s, and then take command in the replay at the Dell.....

3 o’clock on a Saturday and £10 entry - we are flying and they aren’t special anymore.

Agreed it should be a good game and winnable. But the FA Cup is a bit of a lottery. How strong a team will each side field? Very unlikely to be full strength as both sides have two league games first next week.

I'm happy to concentrate on Wolves and then Palace. Much as I want to progress in the Cup, I'd take four points in those games over a Cup win.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agreed it should be a good game and winnable. But the FA Cup is a bit of a lottery. How strong a team will each side field? Very unlikely to be full strength as both sides have two league games first next week.

I'm happy to concentrate on Wolves and then Palace. Much as I want to progress in the Cup, I'd take four points in those games over a Cup win.

Everything that is wrong with modern football.

You'd rather finish 14th than win the cup.

You'd rather celebrate an average season than having a trophy.

You'd rather have a great day out at the end of the season against Sheff Utd than a day out at Wembley

:mcinnes:

You'd rather have a great day out at the end of the season against Sheff Utd than a day out at Wembley

I want both. You're misrepresenting what I said. You said you're suprised there's not a Spurs build-up thread yet. What I'm saying is one game at a time.

Just because there's a good Cup game coming up doesn't mean you forget about the league.

To some degree, that was a problem for us around the Skates game. Look at the results.

Not sure where you get a "14th" finishing position from? If we pick up 4 points out of 6 in pairs of games such as Wolves and Palace, surely that puts us in top half territory? What if getting 4 points from those two games contributed to us qualifying for the Europa League (which isn't beyond the realms of possibility if our form doesn't dip too much between now and the end of the season). Would that soften the blow of not winning the FA Cup....?

I want both. You're misrepresenting what I said. You said you're suprised there's not a Spurs build-up thread yet. What I'm saying is one game at a time.

Just because there's a good Cup game coming up doesn't mean you forget about the league.

To some degree, that was a problem for us around the Skates game. Look at the results.

But you said you'd take 4 points over winning the cup, so i don't think i am misrepresenting what you said?

Obviously you'd want both, i'd want the quadruple, but that not going to happen.

So, would you take a cup win (and Europe next year) with relegation or 14th and out to Spurs?

Not sure where you get a "14th" finishing position from? If we pick up 4 points out of 6 in pairs of games such as Wolves and Palace, surely that puts us in top half territory? What if getting 4 points from those two games contributed to us qualifying for the Europa League (which isn't beyond the realms of possibility if our form doesn't dip too much between now and the end of the season). Would that soften the blow of not winning the FA Cup....?

It was just a generalisation really, and what i am saying is that i am a football fan that doesn't really give a toss about the PL positioning unless we are right up there and basically, that is not going to happen, we had our chance and blew it.

Nothing better than cup finals and Europe, nothing worse than an average season and finishing 14th.

And i'd take a group place in Europe over an FA cup final, though obviously if you win that, Europe is sorted anyway.

But you said you'd take 4 points over winning the cup, so i don't think i am misrepresenting what you said?

Obviously you'd want both, i'd want the quadruple, but that not going to happen.

So, would you take a cup win (and Europe next year) with relegation or 14th and out to Spurs?

I'd take a Cup win and 14th, but we won't finish that low if we keep up our form. As commented above, each league place is £1m and we have a chance of 7th and Europe.

I would never take relegation as a price for a Cup win as I care about the financial security of the club and the jobs of the 60% of backroom staff who would lose their jobs if we went down.

Nothing worse than an average season and finishing 14th.

Strange that you don't think relegation is worse than 14th.

Let's take a game at a time, as I said. Pick up points from Wolves and Palace then get excited about beating Spurs. I just don't think an upcoming Cup game pushes everything else into the background.

I'd dearly love to see us win a major trophy, and we've come agonisingly close a few times, but I'd never exchange it for relegation (look what happened the last time).

I think us Saints fans need to think more pragmatically, for me our "trophies" are Matt Le Tissier, Rickie Lambert, our academy, the Mane / Long scoring records and our proud tradition of being a Premier League club.

Edit: Oh and smashing the skates 0-4 in their own back toilet!

It was just a generalisation really, and what i am saying is that i am a football fan that doesn't really give a toss about the PL positioning unless we are right up there and basically, that is not going to happen, we had our chance and blew it.

Nothing better than cup finals and Europe, nothing worse than an average season and finishing 14th.

And i'd take a group place in Europe over an FA cup final, though obviously if you win that, Europe is sorted anyway.

Because you don't think we can't win it you are not bothered in trying.

That attitude didn't win the World Cup and two world wars.

Because you don't think we can't win it you are not bothered in trying.

That attitude didn't win the World Cup and two world wars.

This is getting a little silly. No-one talked about not trying. Give it proper attention and take it seriously - after the next two important league games.

Strange that you don't think relegation is worse than 14th.

Let's take a game at a time, as I said. Pick up points from Wolves and Palace then get excited about beating Spurs. I just don't think an upcoming Cup game pushes everything else into the background.

you're right, badly phrased! Relegation is worse and fair point on the financial security of the club but then if they didn't keep spunking it on ****e then redundancies would not be that necessary.

Whilst i do not want us to go down, I am not overly fussed about it. There will still be a football match every week.

I am a football fan that doesn't really give a toss about the PL positioning unless we are right up there and basically, that is not going to happen, we had our chance and blew it.

Nothing better than cup finals and Europe

If our form in the 2nd quarter of the season (i.e. top 3) is more of an indicator to our performances in the 3rd and 4th quarters than our form in the 1st quarter, then there's every chance we could sneak 7th and a Europa League slot. Given the relative lottery of cup games, I would venture that 'concentrating on the league' gives us a better chance of reaching Europe than via the 'winning a cup' route. (but, of course, would be delighted if we achieved both! :) )

I would take winning a cup (FA or EFL) over a League position anyday of the week.

Having said that im not looking forward to playing Spurs, we will be out sung by 5500 of the ****ers and I can see us losing.

The FA Cup has lost its magic and you probably have to be in your late 30's or 40's to really appreciate what the The FA Cup meant.

If our form in the 2nd quarter of the season (i.e. top 3) is more of an indicator to our performances in the 3rd and 4th quarters than our form in the 1st quarter, then there's every chance we could sneak 7th and a Europa League slot. Given the relative lottery of cup games, I would venture that 'concentrating on the league' gives us a better chance of reaching Europe than via the 'winning a cup' route. (but, of course, would be delighted if we achieved both! :) )

I would take winning the FA Cup way over any qualification for Europe. Not bothered at all really whether we qualify for Europe or not....

Not sure why we can’t do both !. Let’s face it there are few clubs with as little silverware as us. Football is about winning leagues and cups or at the least trying as hard as you can to do so. I’ll take a cup over £8m cash for better league placing. 44 years and counting since our last major trophy. Thankfully I think Ralf thinks the same (he hasn’t done a Poch so far in the cups).

Not sure if this has changed but looks like members can also get the £10 price up until 3pm today , I'm sure previously this showed the price going up after season ticket sales.

Anyway bound to be loads available at 9am once season ticket seats not purchased are released , good that lower price is extended to members

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2019-20/fa-cup/saints-v-spurs-2020-01-25/ticket-info

Win tomorrow and then away to Palace and we're on 34 points. Not many points required from the rest of the season to achieve safety. Concentrate on cup I say. Get past Spurs and we're 2 games away from Wembley.

So the Spurs game not on TV then ?? Strange.

After Tuesday I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ward-Prowse at right back, we will need to put out a full strength team to have a chance of going through, Mourinho has said he will take the cup seriously as shown by the very few changes he made against Middlesbrough in the last round.

Hopefully spurs picked up a couple of knocks last night and the extra day rest will help us.

Not looking forward to this game, partly due to 5316 mouthy Spurs fans taking over but also despite our recent good run we’ve still got one of the worst home records in the country, fans don’t enjoy going to St Mary’s (still plenty of tickets left for Saturday despite the cheap prices)

Curious what sort of line-up we'll put out.

Always likely to be some rotation but hopefully not excessive.

Ings being rested hopefully means he'll start.

Also wonder if it'll be too soon for valery if Cedric is out.

Reckon Gunn, Djenepo and Adams and Ings will start....Romeu in with JwP at RB.....

------------------McCarthy-------------------

-JWP-----Stephens------Yoshi----Bertrand-

-Armstrong---PEH---Romeu------Djenepo-

--------------Ings----Adams---------------

If they go full strength I think they'll have too much for us as it's their biggest chance of success. 2-1 Spurs, sadly.

------------------McCarthy-------------------

-JWP-----Stephens------Yoshi----Bertrand-

-Armstrong---PEH---Romeu------Djenepo-

--------------Ings----Adams---------------

If they go full strength I think they'll have too much for us as it's their biggest chance of success. 2-1 Spurs, sadly.

They were full strength and rubbish against Norwich yesterday. I suppose it depends on whether they are in the mood or not. Mourinho has the players riled up already!