30 years ago tonight

Stud mark of doom

Great find. I don't remember any of those goals, just the huge crowd (you can see that ever stand is rammed. I don't think I've ever seen the Milton end so busy, there wasn't an inch of room even out towards the corner flags). Electric atmosphere and obviously having gone 0-2 down, it was extremely tense. Brilliant Saints team that season of course and not many left as we were always a threat. I think it's the first game I had seen at the Dell that went to extra time. Great days. This, Bolton and Oldham cup games really stick in mind.

that was a great game. I was in the Milton just behind where Le Tissiers free kick went in, the bend was incredible and knew it was going in before he hit it, it just had that feel about it. Packed Dell, massive away following, two teams going for it, the under dog taking a 2-0 lead and their keeper playing out of their skin, a comeback, extra time and four great goals. I think I listed that as one of my favourite every games on another thread a few weeks ago. Night games in the cup at the Dell were something special

That was a great season, MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer were on fire. Lots of goals scored and lots of goals conceded, 'Pool got a spanking at the Dell, 8 were scored against Norwich (h and a) and 6 against Luton at home.

Chris Nicoll played some really entertaining teams, not bad for an old school centre half like he was.

That was a great season, MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer were on fire. Lots of goals scored and lots of goals conceded, 'Pool got a spanking at the Dell, 8 were scored against Norwich (h and a) and 6 against Luton at home.

Chris Nicoll played some really entertaining teams, not bad for an old school centre half like he was.

Yes, one of our underrated managers who was treated shabbily in the end. Sadly in poor health now.

Yes, one of our underrated managers who was treated shabbily in the end. Sadly in poor health now.

you think, we were awful the next season and were so close to be relegated. Something like 20 games or so without a win, ironically after he’d won a MOM award I think. He tried to go after the Forest game, his dog had died, we lost the replay and that was it for him, but they would not take his resignation. Only a late surge inspired by a Neil Ruddock penalty (Le Tiss was on the pitch too WTF) against Newcastle if memory serves me well?

If you want to talk about underrated, Rod Wallace, totally underrated and never really took off after he left us. Nice lad too, awful agent.

as for Nicholl genuinely nice man, shame to see him now but as for results, that season was bad.

and then came Branfoot :lol:

you think, we were awful the next season and were so close to be relegated. Something like 20 games or so without a win, ironically after he’d won a MOM award I think. He tried to go after the Forest game, his dog had died, we lost the replay and that was it for him, but they would not take his resignation. Only a late surge inspired by a Neil Ruddock penalty (Le Tiss was on the pitch too WTF) against Newcastle if memory serves me well?

If you want to talk about underrated, Rod Wallace, totally underrated and never really took off after he left us. Nice lad too, awful agent.

as for Nicholl genuinely nice man, shame to see him now but as for results, that season was bad.

Yeah, Rod Wallace was brilliant in 89/90. Genuinely top class.

Rod Wallace did win the league with Leeds. Strange he never got any international recognition but he had a pretty decent career.

I know what you mean. It feels like he should have gone to great things. Despite winning the league it feels like he didn't really achieve what he should.

A bit like Walcott. I know he's had a good career and his bank balance will be fine, thanks, but it feels like he never found his groove.

Pretty sure it was the season before this one that we went 20 games without a win. But, to be fair to Chris, we were also top of the league early in on that previous season and finished strongly. The season with the Swindon win was one of our best ever I think. You’re right that the next one wasn’t as good.

In retrospect Nichol was a really good manager whose main problem was following on from an all time great.