155 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Saints Greatest Right Back

• Jason Dodd
    • Ivan Golac
    • Jeff Kenna
    • Mick Mills
    • Alf Ramsey
    • Stuart Williams

Time to vote for those nominated players. 6 to choose from, but only 1 vote this time. The player with the most votes gets to be in the A team. The 2nd most voted for player is the B team's RB.

I feel I have to remind you again - no legends, no longevity, thank you. Just highest quality players to have played in the right-back position. Those older supporters will appreciate that 2 superb, older players managed to get enough nominations to be listed in the final 6.

Now get voting..

Without a shadow of doubt Alf Ramsey was the greatest full back to pull on a saints shirt but as we are talking about a player who played in the late 40's early 50's I doubt that many on this site have even heard about him. He was a full England international and I did have the pleasure of seeing Alf play at the Dell,( I know I am ancient),on a few occassions. With due respect to the other nominees IMO Alf is in a class of his own in this group.Ivan Golac was very good and would rate second in the poll for me.

Time to vote for those nominated players. 6 to choose from, but only 1 vote this time. The player with the most votes gets to be in the A team. The 2nd most voted for player is the B team's RB.

I feel I have to remind you again - no legends, no longevity, thank you. Just highest quality players to have played in the right-back position. Those older supporters will appreciate that 2 superb, older players managed to get enough nominations to be listed in the final 6.

Now get voting..

Alf Ramsey

on a different note...

what position will Matt Le Tiss be put in...as would there be any point in voting for that one...?

Possibly - for RW I would put Paine ahead of MLT. I would want both in the team though...

Although Golac was a cult hero i have voted for Mick Mills because ' date=' imo, Ivan was great going forward but was not a great defender[/quote']

I was tempted to vote for MM to try and get him into the B team ahead of JD (who I liked as a player, but was not as good as the former - look at how many caps each of them got), but then thought if everyone did the same my real number one wouldn't make either team. So I had to vote for the one and only Ivan The Terrible!!!!

Thanks for voting peeps. The Poll is now closed.

For those who haven't been following these polls, to establish the fans idea of the greatest quality players to have appeared for SFC, I'll answer your question. Please do me the favour of reading these answers if you haven't at previous times.

The reason why certain players make the last 5, 6 or 10 list is because they receive the most nominations prior to voting. So if David Webb [a worthy scorer in the 1970 Cup Final replay - by then, sadly for Chelsea, NOT for Saints] isn't in the list, it's because he didn't receive enough nominations. Influence your friends next time this subject comes around, and perhaps players like David Webb will receive their true tribute.

At this time, Ivan Golac has been considered the best RB in Saints memory, with Jason Dodd making the back-up team. Personally, I thought Mick Mills hugely superior to Doddsy, back this is a democracy, and I'm not asking why.. Here's the line up so far:

A Team:

----------------Shilton-----------------

Golac---Wright---Svensson---Bridge

B Team:

---------------Niemi-------------------

Dodd--Lundekvam--Watson--Dennis

Both these teams have the fundamentals of a really potent Premiership. The A team being a possible Premier League winner. We'll see if we can maintain the quality..!

From this point on we'll see the positions nominated revert to team numbers. So right to left position numbers from now on, OK..? What this means is that the right sided midfield position gets decided next. Go to the nominations thread to nominate your best quality Saints RM. There are plenty of them.