Posters: where are they now

washsaint

What a fantastic post, great to hear you're enjoying life.

Do you mind if I ask what was so bad about Dubai for you in the end? I've heard some horror stories about the place, and my brother was lucky to escape the country after he lost his job and had his credit cards cancelled - abandoned his car at the airport and got on the first flight out he could get on (to Thailand!) before his passport was marked.

It sounds like a truly despotic place.

Dubai re-invents itself every 6 or so years.

In the 6 years to our leaving, the costs had risen to levels that unless you were at "elite" level life was a struggle. VAT had been introduced and retailers added "extras" so that hurt.

For various reasons, the economy was hit - funding the war in Yemen, Trade Reductions due to the "issue" with Qatar and a general lack of confidence.

Cash flows got hit, companies were not paid on time, staff had to miss a month's pay - yes there is legislation to protect salary payments, but simply put the banks would not make loans to cover cash flow and IF you took your employer to court for non-payment you would just liquidate the company.

There is no criticism of regimes in that, it was simple commercial reality, but when a pint of beer is $15 and your food/utilities costs have risen by over 10% missing 3 months pay hurts you.

Staying was not an option. Every White Western Ex Pat expects a living wage, but a flow of Kids with MBA's are available at 1/10th the cost.

I was subject to racist abuse and one gentleman (NOT a Gulf Arab) tried to run me over for not filling my car quickly enough. (A lovely Emirati Lady saw everything and made sure I walked away.

We should have left sooner. I am SO happy here.

Big part of my work is learning about & taking guests to Auschwitz.

Big event there today live stream from 14:30 your time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHfUnhGMZWAHRIMp1EUOwyA

Dubai re-invents itself every 6 or so years.

In the 6 years to our leaving, the costs had risen to levels that unless you were at "elite" level life was a struggle. VAT had been introduced and retailers added "extras" so that hurt.

For various reasons, the economy was hit - funding the war in Yemen, Trade Reductions due to the "issue" with Qatar and a general lack of confidence.

Cash flows got hit, companies were not paid on time, staff had to miss a month's pay - yes there is legislation to protect salary payments, but simply put the banks would not make loans to cover cash flow and IF you took your employer to court for non-payment you would just liquidate the company.

There is no criticism of regimes in that, it was simple commercial reality, but when a pint of beer is $15 and your food/utilities costs have risen by over 10% missing 3 months pay hurts you.

Staying was not an option. Every White Western Ex Pat expects a living wage, but a flow of Kids with MBA's are available at 1/10th the cost.

I was subject to racist abuse and one gentleman (NOT a Gulf Arab) tried to run me over for not filling my car quickly enough. (A lovely Emirati Lady saw everything and made sure I walked away.

We should have left sooner. I am SO happy here.

Big part of my work is learning about & taking guests to Auschwitz.

Big event there today live stream from 14:30 your time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHfUnhGMZWAHRIMp1EUOwyA

Thanks for the link. Not covered in UK. Should have been obligatory viewing. A real soul searching program. I watched it all the way through.

Well this is a blast from the past...

Hi, impressed I got a name check, I had a good look, ego being what it is.

Very sporadic occasional reading nowadays, even less frequent actual speaking to people I met from here (and Saints Forever/Saints Web). Is that true about unlimited posts? Hmm...

Since I stopped playing for the Saints fans' team (which may not still exist) or football generally I haven't seen the likes of Minty, B Rabbit, or PrideoftheSouth as often but I know more or less where they are. Crab Lungs had the pleasure of me getting ****ed at his place a couple of months back. That Steve Grant bloke just hung about in Popworld mainly, dunno what's happened to him... Baj is no longer in the band I saw him play with at Common People a while back.

Just(ice) Mike and particularly Arizona I see now and then, last I heard Ferndown worked in Lebanon or Syria or both, which is probably still better than Aberystwyth.

The Leandre Griffit guy was Greenwich, later Greedyfly. I am fairly sure Paul Chuckle hates me (it is at the v least highly awks) but I haven't forgiven him for John Cena 2008 yet anyway. Gecko moved Down Under years back, we did Thruxton Karting for a leaving do.

Shrek and Maverick still exist in the twilight zone that is people whose updates you don't see much on Facebook.

Essruu annoys my wife with sarcasm on Facebook. Turkish does too. I am going to upset some obvious people by not having remembered to mention them now... :lol:

Well this is a blast from the past...

Hi, impressed I got a name check, I had a good look, ego being what it is.

Very sporadic occasional reading nowadays, even less frequent actual speaking to people I met from here (and Saints Forever/Saints Web). Is that true about unlimited posts? Hmm...

Since I stopped playing for the Saints fans' team (which may not still exist) or football generally I haven't seen the likes of Minty, B Rabbit, or PrideoftheSouth as often but I know more or less where they are. Crab Lungs had the pleasure of me getting ****ed at his place a couple of months back. That Steve Grant bloke just hung about in Popworld mainly, dunno what's happened to him... Baj is no longer in the band I saw him play with at Common People a while back.

Just(ice) Mike and particularly Arizona I see now and then, last I heard Ferndown worked in Lebanon or Syria or both, which is probably still better than Aberystwyth.

The Leandre Griffit guy was Greenwich, later Greedyfly. I am fairly sure Paul Chuckle hates me (it is at the v least highly awks) but I haven't forgiven him for John Cena 2008 yet anyway. Gecko moved Down Under years back, we did Thruxton Karting for a leaving do.

Shrek and Maverick still exist in the twilight zone that is people whose updates you don't see much on Facebook.

Essruu annoys my wife with sarcasm on Facebook. Turkish does too. I am going to upset some obvious people by not having remembered to mention them now... :lol:

Your wife love me ?

Was that the game at Fleming Park, there were some good practice games before that!! I am sure GingerSaints nose exploded at one of them!!

That bloody hurt. Useless tosser ran with his head down and I pushed the ball away from him and he kept running. Straight into my mush. Just about to go back to work after 6 weeks off with ligament damage then that happened.

I am still alive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only cos I know he will be crying in the dark corners of the Internet I'll give a shout out to Toyko Saint who migrated to papsweb with Bearsy.

Bearsys match reports were golden but his night out reports were classic.

Match reports link https://bearsyinvestigates.blogspot.com/?m=1

Edited by Convict Colony

Only cos I know he will be crying in the dark corners of the Internet I'll give a shout out to Toyko Saint who migrated to papsweb with Bearsy.

Bearsys match reports were golden but his night out reports were classic.

Match reports link https://bearsyinvestigates.blogspot.com/?m=1

I forgot how good bearsy 's stuff was. These lines from a Chelsea preview are brilliant :

"Chelsea's juvenile missteps have been legion, and as the cast of Made in Chelsea experienced first-hand, the best education entails a certain amount of buggery. So let us unbuckle our belts, unzip our flies, and teach them a Lesson."

Genius.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever happened to that grade A clam Verbal? Always desperate to point the figure of racism as someone. It was hilarious when his wife banned him from here, but he kept on posting nonetheless, I guess this place was more important to him than his marriage.

Whatever happened to that grade A clam Verbal? Always desperate to point the figure of racism as someone. It was hilarious when his wife banned him from here, but he kept on posting nonetheless, I guess this place was more important to him than his marriage.

Why on earth was he even discussing this place with his trouble and strife in the first place!

Why on earth was he even discussing this place with his trouble and strife in the first place!

He claims someone said something derogatory about her and she somehow saw it, was in tears and made him promise he would never post on here again, but within a week or so he was back!

• 2 weeks later...