Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saints v Spurs build-up

Default Saints v Spurs build-up

I assume Gunn will start. Maybe we'll switch the strikers round from Tuesday. But with Bednarek and Cedric what do we do? Vestaerguard against Palace is one thing, but again movement of Moura and Son its worrying. And is Valery fit? Assuming JWP will start RB for this one.

Gunn
    JWP Vesterguard Stephens Bertrand
    Armstrong Romeu Hojbjerg Redmond
    Adams Ings

I'd prefer Yoshi over Vest given spurs attack mobility. Also he'll be fresher.
    Hoping Valery is fit to play right back.
    Djenepo to start and score.

I fully expect a full strength side (or atleast near full strength), to hold back the top scorer in a league match for a cup game is to declare you take that game seriously. Also, we beat spurs a few weeks back with our standard team so the temptation will be not to disrupt that.

I like Djenpo and he'll come good, but has he had any good games where he's started yet? Probably not at home anyway. Bring him on fine but not sure he can start right now.

Same with Boufal. We've found our system and it really relies on having Armstrong starting. I don't know who else can play that role right midfield, drifting in. He's been great.

5. Default

Cedric out for 3 weeks with a knee ligament injury according to RH.

Shame we didn’t sign a right back like Ralph said we needed to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    I'd prefer Yoshi over Vest given spurs attack mobility. Also he'll be fresher.
    Hoping Valery is fit to play right back.
    Djenepo to start and score.
    Valery is not fit.

JWP at right back then.

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    JWP at right back then.
    Danso played against Huddersfield maybe rest JWP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big part of me says play a full strength team against Spurs and try to get through to the next round of the cup. Then away at Liverpool, make 11 changes and effectively play the type of team we played against Huddersfield as there is every chance we will lose up there anyway despite our excellent away form! This would then pretty much give the first team the best part of two weeks rest to go again.

Plus I think it would be almost funny and seen as disrespectful by some to make 11 changes against the bin dippers too, then when we lose, we can just say "oh well, we played poorly but we didn't have our first team playing which is why we lost"! The big clubs seem to use that excuse every time so give them a bit of the same back, let's see if the media would be brave enough to say that too!! It would not even be like Man City could complain that we fielded a weakened team as the league is over at the top anyway!

In the concourse, complaining about the concourse

So Vestergaard, Cedric, Valery and Bednarek all unavailable. Danso or Yoshida then.

Jeez, getting thin on the ground all of a sudden...

Maybe bring in Kayne Ramsay for this one? Ralph seemed to trust his instincts in him when he first arrived...

JWP at right back isn't the end of the world, he's done a good job there when he has to. Not that fast but endless energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    So Vestergaard, Cedric, Valery and Bednarek all unavailable. Danso or Yoshida then.

Raplh said nothing about Bednarek, do we know for sure he is still out?

15. Default

McCarthy
    JWP
    Bertrand
    Stephens
    Yoshida
    Armstrong
    Hojbjerg
    Romeu
    Redmond
    Adams
    Ings

Not ideal having to play JWP at RB when he's been so influential in midfield, but Romeu is a more able replacement in midfield than the other alternatives we would have at RB unfortunately.

Pity about the injuries but we should still be playing strongest available side in this one with a whole week before next league game.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Mourinho is bemoaning injuries so suspect he'll play a weakened team, so good opportunity to progress but I feel some of our players need a rest, like JWP has barely had a break.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Mourinho is bemoaning injuries so suspect he'll play a weakened team, so good opportunity to progress but I feel some of our players need a rest, like JWP has barely had a break.
    Hasn't had any rest at all. He's played every game this season and hasn't be substituted in any of them. https://www.transfermarkt.us/james-w...spieler/181579

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Hasn't had any rest at all. He's played every game this season and hasn't be substituted in any of them. https://www.transfermarkt.us/james-w...spieler/181579
    Remember we get a two week break between Liverpool (Feb 1) and Burnley (Feb 15)

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

And Long

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bednarek pictured in the training gallery on the OS for today so that's good news

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    He has played 90 miinutes in every game since Man City on the 30th December 2018, apart from when we rotated vs West Ham at the end of the season, where he came off the bench. Crazy considering he was barely getting in the squad under Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    He has played 90 miinutes in every game since Man City on the 30th December 2018, apart from when we rotated vs West Ham at the end of the season, where he came off the bench. Crazy considering he was barely getting in the squad under Hughes.
    Amazing really. Is he human or a robot?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint WGC View Post
    A big part of me says play a full strength team against Spurs and try to get through to the next round of the cup. Then away at Liverpool, make 11 changes and effectively play the type of team we played against Huddersfield as there is every chance we will lose up there anyway despite our excellent away form! This would then pretty much give the first team the best part of two weeks rest to go again.

Plus I think it would be almost funny and seen as disrespectful by some to make 11 changes against the bin dippers too, then when we lose, we can just say "oh well, we played poorly but we didn't have our first team playing which is why we lost"! The big clubs seem to use that excuse every time so give them a bit of the same back, let's see if the media would be brave enough to say that too!! It would not even be like Man City could complain that we fielded a weakened team as the league is over at the top anyway!
    This is a terrible idea and thankfully wouldn't be sanctioned by anyone at the club

We should win really, they're not that great and there isn't much between the two teams in the table in terms of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    We should win really, they're not that great and there isn't much between the two teams in the table in terms of points.
    Kane being injured helps, and Spurs form isn’t very good, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying we should win. We’ve got the worst home record in the division and the majority of this Spurs side is the same as the one who got to the Champions league final a few months ago, a win for us would be fantastic.

I didnít see Valery or Danso in training pictures today so right back looks a bit short of options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm fully expecting a loss in all honesty, Mourinho has a massive hard on for winning trophies in his first season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    I'm fully expecting a loss in all honesty, Mourinho has a massive hard on for winning trophies in his first season.

I don't think that RH will allow the team to play in a different way than they did against Crystal Palace. Now they know how to take something from each game, even against Liverpool. A performance like the 2nd half against Wolverhampton must not happen again. Whoever will be part of the team this weekend I expect the same performance as on Tuesday. Tottenham will have a hard time! (At last in theory )

The problem with playing JWP at right back is that it's a case of putting a square peg in a round hole again. He isn't a right back end of.

but...it's also taking quite an important member of our midfield, out of our midfield. And breaking up a spine which has been performing quite well.

This is the problem with not strengthing at full back as Ralph wanted. He must be fuming inside.

Once again we’re all left scratching our heads on why the Board have allowed the first team to be exposed so badly at LB without any indication of a replacement. It just appears wilfully shoddy and cheap, rather than clever in the sense that we’ve got JWP to stand-in reasonably competently. To be honest I’d rather see Ramsey given an opportunity...if you’re not going to allow the youngsters through when you need them, it sends out wrong messages. I think we’ll perform well, but I’m not expecting a win...Spurs are still a good side with good reserve options.

Canít see with 7 games covered on live tv that we arenít on. QPR v Sheffield Wed a bigger draw? Northampton v Derby?

BBC will be glowing over Liverpool U23s of course. What a treat to watch these kids.

Nice to have the 3 pm KO though but in a pretty sh1t draw we are at best the 8th most attractive game?

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    The problem with playing JWP at right back is that it's a case of putting a square peg in a round hole again. He isn't a right back end of.

but...it's also taking quite an important member of our midfield, out of our midfield. And breaking up a spine which has been performing quite well.

This is the problem with not strengthing at full back as Ralph wanted. He must be fuming inside.
    It's more a case of injuries/illness to our first choice 2 right backs. Most teams are down to square pegs when they lose 2 rightbacks.

I think it'll be a mish-mash of first XI and rotationals. If I were a guessing man:

Gunn; Danso, Stephens, Bednarek, Vokins; Romeu, Ward-Prowse; Djenepo, Redmond; Adams, Ings

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I think we should play full backs who play that position. I couldn't believe Vokins was passed over in favour of midfielders playing there earlier in the season and I'd much rather Ramsay play there than JWP. If Bednarek is fit, I hope Ralph plays him, as we need the strongest defence possible to stand a chance and I really want a cup run. I'd go for:
    Gunn
    Ramsay Stephens Bednarek Bertrand
    Armstrong JWP Hojbjerg Redmond
    Adams Ings

Subs: McCarthy, Danso, Romeu, Vokins, Obafemi, Boufal, Djenepo

Yoshida can play RB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSFC View Post
    Yoshida can play RB.
    No he can't. He is awful when played out of position there. He can play LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post

I've no doubt he'll take it seriously and be desperate to win, but they can't just turn form on and off. They've been poor or average for a while now. Thought they looked dire even when winning v Boro and Norwich and those were home games.

Get at them and they panic in defence. First goal is vital, we can't give them any chance to settle. Really think if we score first we'll win.

Although wouldn't mind a replay to get a chance to visit the stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    Amazing really. Is he human or a robot?
    He's also regularly covering the most distances as well.

And his move to the two-man midfield was massively important to our turn around in form.

Worried we might break him, but if there is a gap after the Liverpool game then maybe it will be ok.

We criminally lack depth in so many positions and are at the same time over stocked in others, we have 5 senior centre backs, but only 3 centre-mids, 2 right backs and one left back. Then 4 strikers and 4 winger/forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    I like Djenpo and he'll come good, but has he had any good games where he's started yet? Probably not at home anyway. Bring him on fine but not sure he can start right now.

Same with Boufal. We've found our system and it really relies on having Armstrong starting. I don't know who else can play that role right midfield, drifting in. He's been great.
    Son is the main danger man. He can weave his way through midfields, and around defenders and shoot from distance.. So we need players who will tackle and stop him before he gets too close.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    Son is the main danger man. He can weave his way through midfields, and around defenders and shoot from distance.. So we need players who will tackle and stop him before he gets too close.
    Dele is making them tick at the moment. He had a bad spell but is back in form, think he is the we really need to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    No he can't. He is awful when played out of position there. He can play LB.
    Yeah, I remember Koeman tried playing him there on a few occasions and it was a disaster.

42. Default

Lawro's predicted us to win so we're doomed.

That might actually be the first time he's ever predicted we'll beat Spurs.

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Can’t see with 7 games covered on live tv that we aren’t on. QPR v Sheffield Wed a bigger draw? Northampton v Derby?

BBC will be glowing over Liverpool U23s of course. What a treat to watch these kids.

Nice to have the 3 pm KO though but in a pretty sh1t draw we are at best the 8th most attractive game?
    I think the fact that Spurs had a replay v Middlesborough got in the way of their selection process, might well have been on the box without that delay !!

44. Default

Even us v Boro would probably have been better than some of those picks, though maybe they want to give the all-lower league ties some sunlight.

with rumours of mourinho losing his winning touch doing the rounds on the media, I reckon he'll be desperate to win a trophy this season, so imagine he'll pick his strongest team for this one. which means if we change up the team too much which might destabilise our spine I.e. stephens, jwp, hoj, ings, I doubt we could perform at the levels we had these past few games.
    I'd go with

gunn
    ramsey stephens vest bertie
    djenepo jwp hoj redders
    adams ings
    tempted to give jwp and redders a rest but jwp is integral to our game and redders seems to have found a rhythm so probs best to keep him on it. vokins might be targeted by alli and son if picked so bertie should play IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by way down south View Post
    with rumours of mourinho losing his winning touch doing the rounds on the media, I reckon he'll be desperate to win a trophy this season, so imagine he'll pick his strongest team for this one. which means if we change up the team too much which might destabilise our spine I.e. stephens, jwp, hoj, ings, I doubt we could perform at the levels we had these past few games.
    I'd go with

gunn
    ramsey stephens vest bertie
    djenepo jwp hoj redders
    adams ings
    tempted to give jwp and redders a rest but jwp is integral to our game and redders seems to have found a rhythm so probs best to keep him on it. vokins might be targeted by alli and son if picked so bertie should play IMO.
    Ralph says Vestergaard is out injured.

forgot vest is out. in that case for the love of god give danso a run out at cb alongside stephens. we could use his speed as they'll probs line up with son, alli, lucas in attack. if he fails to hold his own, then he can go back to augsburg in the summer. if he does well then keep him in for the next few games as we have injuries there and sign him up permanently. could be a make or break game for him.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
    Only change where necessary, we have a week off until Liverpool and then the international break. The Christmas period was much more demanding so I’m sure we’ll manage with the breaks we’ve had.
    Southampton 2 - 1 Tottenham

I think we will win the FA Cup this season

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    I think we will win the FA Cup this season
    Like you thought we would lose to Spurs and Leicester in the league or what was it that you used? Roll over?