Saints v Spurs (FA Cup) Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

Sorry? The ref’s in this country are dreadful, an experienced ‘top’ referee was in the VAR box and didn’t intervene a complete blatant foul or complete blatant foul. Don’t blame VAR. The refs in this country are the reason VAR is here at all. It didn’t work for us today but thank god it is otherwise we’d be heading down.

Refs are abdicating more and more of their decisions to the remote officials.

They are not dreadful, they are neutral which may not meet your opinions.

As for today, that handball was not worth a penalty, the player was far too close. Look at Alderwereld’s in the league game if you want a classic example of a penalty.

It was a good game to watch and Saints were playing some lovely football at times. Redmond was outstanding and we seemed to be playing with a lot more confidence than earlier in the season.

The atmosphere was better than a typical league game too. Possibly because the Kingsland had a lot less of the usual old duffers.

Pleased to get something out of the game. I was telling my grandson about the time that Hughes Fisher rescued a draw and a replay for us at the Dell in 1976. That worked out well.

For much of the game we were the better team. We played a high press very effectively, but ran the risk of being hit on the break. Having lost Cedric to injury, we were exposed at right back by having Danso play there, which had not worked well the last time that happened. Also, I had some trepidation with Gunn in goal. However, although Spurs exploited our right flank, Danso was better than the last time, possibly because other of our players around him had improved since then. But when Armstrong had to be substituted for his injury early on, I feared the worst, as he was cover on the right, tracking back well with his usual energy. Largely though, those fears were ungrounded, as we continued to press Spurs well in midfield and high up the pitch, although frustratingly reverting to the annoying habit of passing sideways and backwards from defence. Because of wayward shooting from Spurs whenever they did break through, Gunn wasn't troubled much, but produced a stunning save to deflect a goalwards shot with an outstretched foot.

It took Spurs almost an hour to produce their goal, although even then it was inspected by VAR for offside and a possible foul. The goal stood and Spurs' confidence had its boost, but to our credit, our heads did not drop and we had a succession of our own chances, but shot just wide, or struck or headed the ball with not enough power to trouble Lloris. Just as time began to run out and it looked as if we wouldn't get anything from the game, Boufal scored to silence the Spurs fans. We then tried hard to get the winner right at the death, but it wasn't to be. We had a good shout ourselves for a penalty for handball, but there was no notification that it was being looked at by VAR. The match highlights made a good case for one. Honourable mentions for Redmond, Ward-Prowse and Hojbjerg in particular for me.

The Spurs fans will have left the stadium feeling pretty sick at conceding such a late equaliser. They must also feel a degree of trepidation facing the replay when we have such a good away record. With luck, by then one or two of our players will have returned from injury. As another plus, we will also have the support of tens of thousands of fans singing our anthem and "spurring" on our team.

Eh? Boufal stood and addressed the crowd. Looked like a celebration to me.

Agreed, it looked like he was standing proud, soaking in the plaudits to me. Not all celebrations have to be all singing and dancing.

Someone raised a point about atmosphere which I think was interesting. Without the Northam the chanting was less frequent but when it kicked in the whole ground was much more involved and a lot louder, strange what removing the ‘Home End’ can do.

We deserved to win and with better finishing we would have done. Stephens and Ward-Prowse were superb. Danso was such an obvious weak link that it was only a matter of time before one of Son's raids down the left flank resulted in a goal. Danso slipped up and was lying down ten yards out of position when they scored. Stephens was constantly trying to coach him and direct him throughout the game but he couldn't watch him every second as he had his own job to do.

We deserved to win and with better finishing we would have done. Stephens and Ward-Prowse were superb. Danso was such an obvious weak link that it was only a matter of time before one of Son's raids down the left flank resulted in a goal. Danso slipped up and was lying down ten yards out of position when they scored. Stephens was constantly trying to coach him and direct him throughout the game but he couldn't watch him every second as he had his own job to do.

Redmond was also superb!

Stephens was constantly trying to coach him and direct him throughout the game but he couldn't watch him every second as he had his own job to do.

A wonderful sign of maturity from a player who has had such a torrid and difficult time. Possible captain in the making on this basis, pressure from adversity may have created a diamond.

Totally agree 786. When is the club going to wake up to this and change it?

The club needs to encourage fans who want to sing to get behind the goal at the Chapel end and move any fans who don't want to sing from there. That's what Palace have done. If we'd had a kop behind the goal at the Chapel end to influence the ref, they'd have made sure that handball was checked by VAR. Spurs fans certainly would have done if it had been a handball by one of our players at the Northam end. This nonsense of our potentially noisiest fans dividing themselves into 2 small groups hidden away in the corners of the away end is ridiculous and it is having a negative effect on results.

No he didn’t, he was fouled it was an absolutely blatant foul from that cheating **** Dele Alli, ignored like all Spurs fouls are.

No he didn’t, he was fouled it was an absolutely blatant foul from that cheating **** Dele Alli, ignored like all Spurs fouls are.

He was way out of position at the time. He should have stayed at the right end of our defensive line. He constantly drifted out of position, leaving Son unmarked. Son almost scored another goal in almost identical fashion. Danso was a very obvious weak link today and if he plays again, other teams will do the same to him.

Not a bad game but strangely lacking in passion and intensity, more like a game of chess that a blood and thunder cup tie. Overall we had the majority of the attacking play but Spurs looked very dangerous when they came at us. Song gave Danso the run around. Good goal by Boufal though.

Spurs shouldn't think this tie is over because we seem to be getting into the habit of pulling off victories on the road. Another tight match at their place coming up and I'm still confident we can get into the 5th round.

Good cup tie, still fancy our chances at their place. Shout out for Gunn, both centre backs, Redmond (outstanding today again) and in my opinion Obafemi’s best performance so far. He has obviously been watching how much movement off the ball Long and Ings achieve and this is making him a far better player.

I think we are entitled to 15% of the tickets so if we really wanted to we could take 9000 up there!

Good cup tie, still fancy our chances at their place. Shout out for Gunn, both centre backs, Redmond (outstanding today again) and in my opinion Obafemi’s best performance so far. He has obviously been watching how much movement off the ball Long and Ings achieve and this is making him a far better player.

I think we are entitled to 15% of the tickets so if we really wanted to we could take 9000 up there!

I can remember us taking over 10.000 to White Hart Lane for a league game in 1966. We packed the Park Lane End, which in the days of terracing had more than double the capacity of the Northam.

He was way out of position at the time. He should have stayed at the right end of our defensive line. He constantly drifted out of position, leaving Son unmarked. Son almost scored another goal in almost identical fashion. Danso was a very obvious weak link today and if he plays again, other teams will do the same to him.

Absolute tosh. Sure he was not our best player, and he certainly has his critics, but in that moment he did the only thing he could do, and that was cover off Dele’s run, who was the most immediate threat. I remember thinking how smart he was to block the run and draw a “foul”

Had he gone to mark Son, the pitchforks would have been out in force on him for letting Dele in on goal.

Have another look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed, it looked like he was standing proud, soaking in the plaudits to me. Not all celebrations have to be all singing and dancing.

Someone raised a point about atmosphere which I think was interesting. Without the Northam the chanting was less frequent but when it kicked in the whole ground was much more involved and a lot louder, strange what removing the ‘Home End’ can do.

Surely having pockets of vocal support across the whole of the ground is far more efficacious in producing noise than one 'home end'.

People that may not normally be vocal might feel more inclined to join in if there are people near them consistently starting and joining in with chants

While I agree Danso looked uncomfortable at RB - Son got a lot of space because our midfield was opened up time and again by Ali, Lo Celso and Moura. Either way it's hard to see a future for Danso even if he hasn't had an opportunity at CB.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game, could easily have been 3-3 with plenty of chances at either end. Redmond outstanding today, Obafemi showed glimpses and Hojbjerg continued his upsurge. Really missed Cedric today, but well done to Ralph with his use and timing of the subs.

Absolute tosh. ........ but in that moment he did the only thing he could do, and that was cover off Dele’s run, who was the most immediate threat. I remember thinking how smart he was to block the run and draw a “foul”

Had he gone to mark Son, the pitchforks would have been out in force on him for letting Dele in on goal.

Agreed

JWP has been very good lately but you can't say he was superb today surely? And Danso was clearly taken out by Son; he didn't slip up. Also, Redmond was clearly our best player today.....don't you think?

Danso should never have been put in the position where he had to defend for the goal.

Lo Celso wandered past 4 of our players far too easily.

Even if you think he didn't do the right thing there were plenty of teammates who messed up in the previous 10 seconds allowing the break to happen.

I suppose that the question is : "Is Danso crapper than Jack Stephens when he was crap before he became quite good? "

or Bednarek

or JWP

or Hojberg

or Redmond

or Ings

or going back a bit as crap as Pelle

Is he is crap as Adams?

This forum does love having a scapegoat. Clearly it is Danso's turn now.

I just don't get the whole Danso situation. Why did we loan him, at £3.5M if some of the media quotes are to be believed, only to try him out of position when we have struggled at CB? If he needs settling in and match fitness, then why not play him in the under 23's (or whatever they are known as now). We play him at LB or RB once in a while where he has struggled but continue to do so when short of fit players, but not at CB - why? What is the point? Is he on a play at CB per game bonus over and above the said £3.5M?

He is raw and needs a few games to prove himself, but seems he will not get that.

This forum does love having a scapegoat. Clearly it is Danso's turn now.

Has every player who has ever played for Southampton been really good? Has there ever been anyone you thought wasn't particularly decent or they've all been top class in your opinion?

Some players just aren't that good, don't let it worry you.

Danso should never have been put in the position where he had to defend for the goal.

Lo Celso wandered past 4 of our players far too easily.

Even if you think he didn't do the right thing there were plenty of teammates who messed up in the previous 10 seconds allowing the break to happen.

Correct. You can criticise aspects of his match but the goal was not his fault at all.

With all this Danso chat, what’s the deal with Valery? Last I heard was a viral infection, any more detail than that?

I heard something along the lines that Valery is suffering with something similar to what Clyne had at Liverpool........

The club needs to encourage fans who want to sing to get behind the goal at the Chapel end and move any fans who don't want to sing from there. That's what Palace have done. If we'd had a kop behind the goal at the Chapel end to influence the ref, they'd have made sure that handball was checkhed by VAR. Spurs fans certainly would have done if it had been a handball by one of our players at the Northam end. This nonsense of our potentially noisiest fans dividing themselves into 2 small groups hidden away in the corners of the away end is ridiculous and it is having a negative effect on results.

Hahaha, so how will that work then?

Singing auditions when you renew your season ticket and just how long will the queue be at the ticket office

while they sing WTSGMI to the seller at the window :lol:

That handball moment was what VAR was invented for - the opportunity to review in slow motion whether a player has moved his arm to prevent a goalscoring opportunity.

Not to check it was beyond bonkers.

The referees have fanatically clamped down on offside like it's a war crime, but have left everything else in an inconsistent mess - they even checked for offside when they were meant to be looking at the Delle foul. :o

It's great technology but it's been given to simpletons to operate.