Saints v Spurs (FA Cup) Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

doubtful, people would probably say he is crap.

Do you think we will sign him permanently?

no I don’t think he we will, but don’t think he has had much of a chance in his actual position. I remember the threads when we signed him..... beast and all that nonsense, he hasn’t had the chance, but Jannick has had 10x more chances than he should have based on his performances.

It’ll be the week after next, if it’s the week you said there will be less than a week until round 5.

Thought I read somewhere that the Break might include 4th round replays, which would be a mockery of course, since it would stop teams playing lucrative friendlies during their 'week off'.

no I don’t think he we will, but don’t think he has had much of a chance in his actual position. I remember the threads when we signed him..... beast and all that nonsense, he hasn’t had the chance, but Jannick has had 10x more chances than he should have based on his performances.

Do you not trust Ralph to pick the best players more often than not. Only a few months back we were appalling in defence and sat 19th in the league.

Danso still could not get a game.

His position is CB. Thought of him playing there is terrifying. He sprints recklessly out of positions and commits, either missing the tackle and leaving a huge gap, or making a stupid foul. Absolute liability and if he plays at Anfield it could get embarrassing.

He already put in a ridiculous rash performance v Man utd and hasn't learned from it.

And he wouldn't be judged more positively if he were an academy player. Same way Lancashire, James, McQueen and most other defenders that come through are crap, Danso is crap.

i remember when Sol Campbell played left back a couple of times, what an absolute joke he was there. Shockingly bad. Nearly as bad as when Carragher player defensive midfield.

One way of looking at this is that at least Ralf had the chance to see how dreadful Danso is at right back, we didn't get knocked out and we didn't lose any league points. Hopefully he won't play him there against Liverpool...

The flaw in your argument is that we already know how terrible Danso is at RB. He's played there more than once already and it was pretty obvious he was out of his depth each time.

Get the feeling a few on here would have been tickled pink if Danso had ****ed up and given them the winner. Yes he didn’t play that great in his no favoured position but the comments on here were pathetic. Give your heads a shake!

I'm puzzled how you've connected criticising him to mean someone wants him to fail. I want him to be good... he just isn't.

Which is what half this forum has said at some stage in the last 12 months about Jack Stephens. And Cedric. And Redmond. And JWP. And Shane.

He's young, inexperienced, faced with Son, and playing out of position.

Jog on.

Never ever want to see Danso play for us again.

Awful player and thankfully, on loan.

pressed hard at the end but they had enough runs through our midfield to be miffed to have let it slip at the end.

and we are better away from home too.

Danso at RB has been poor whenever i’ve seen him.

However, Danso at LB against Brighton and United was good (red card aside) and at CB against Fulham he kept a clean sheet and won everything. It has really ****ed me off that he hasn’t had a chance at CB, I feel for the lad tbh.

Which is what half this forum has said at some stage in the last 12 months about Jack Stephens. And Cedric. And Redmond. And JWP. And Shane.

I still don't think Stephens is that great, he is a huge drop in quality from what we've had before. I've always been happy with Cedric, Redmond, Long and Ward-Prowse.

I still don't think Stephens is that great, he is a huge drop in quality from what we've had before. I've always been happy with Cedric, Redmond, Long and Ward-Prowse.

He’s a drop off from Van Dijk and Alderweireld? No ****.

I feel a bit sorry for Danso having his only chances out of position, but he was definitely the weak link today, caused the whole back line problems as Stephens was having to run out to cover him causing gaps in the centre.

Felt like he was certainly fouled for their goal too, but was in the wrong position regardless so I think Son was in whether or not he got bowled over.

Hard to see where he fits honestly, he isn’t breaking in at CB and he has struggled at RB when given the chance, appreciate his age but I don’t think he has done enough (whether he has had adequate chance or not) to earn a permanent move. When he came off and JWP slotted back at RB our defence immediately improved.

Outside of that an entertaining game, Ings off the boil but it had to happen sometime. Armstrong injury a blow but Djenepo is good enough cover on the right hand side. Good to see Boufal get a goal. Also thought Obafemi had a decent second half and Prowse is at peak performance. Strong showing in the second half, fancy our chances away.

He's young, inexperienced, faced with Son, and playing out of position.

Jog on.

yes or no. Do you think we will sign him permanently?

His position is CB. Thought of him playing there is terrifying.

You don't have to think. He played CB against Fulham and was fine - kept a clean sheet - and CB away to City a few days after the 0-9 and wasn't notably awful in a somewhat creditable 3-1 loss.

Or you could watch any of his previous games at CB for Augsburg, when they weren't conceding ten goals a week.

He's a decent young centre back who has had no chance to settle in to a new club in his proper position due to the absolute state of the team in the first third of the season. Unfortunately for him, his role in the squad now is as a sacrificial lamb, plugging the gaps in our poorly balanced squad.

It's not a loan that has worked out for either player on club so far, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It doesn't make him a write off as a footballer. Danny Ings' loan last season wasn't exactly a raging success either.

It's a pity for the kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to have a good career. He certainly doesn't deserve the dog's abuse he's been getting for essentially answering the call to whatever hospital pass the manager has given him.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Felt like he was certainly fouled for their goal too, but was in the wrong position regardless so I think Son was in whether or not he got bowled over.

Where should he have been ? Tracking Alli or Son ? Whichever one he wasn't with was clear on goal. One of the 5 players that Lo Celso ran past should have fouled him much earlier in his run.

Edited by badgerx16

You don't have to think. He played CB against Fulham and was fine - kept a clean sheet - and CB away to City a few days after the 0-9 and wasn't notably awful in a somewhat creditable 3-1 loss.

Or you could watch any of his previous games at CB for Augsburg, when they weren't conceding ten goals a week.

He's a decent young centre back who has had no chance to settle in to a new club in his proper position due to the absolute state of the team in the first third of the season. Unfortunately for him, his role in the squad now is as a sacrificial lamb, plugging the gaps in our poorly balanced squad.

It's not a loan that has worked out for either player on club so far, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It doesn't make him a write off as a footballer. Danny Ings' loan last season wasn't exactly a raging success either.

It's a pity for the kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to have a good career. He certainly doesn't deserve the dog's abuse he's been getting for essentially answering the call to whatever hospital pass the manager has given him.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Where is the dogs abuse?

I think I am right in saying that Danso has never played centre back for us, ever?

Being that he bad some history of playing full back before he joined us I am struggling to understand the constant defence of him that he is played out of position. Maybe he isn't?

See I think it will be played end of February on either the 25/26.

The next possibility for game to be played might even be this upcoming Wednesday but that is just far too short a notice so don’t see it then.

I rule out any game being played between 02 February and 16 February in midweek as that is when both ours and Spurs break is scheduled.

Then Spurs have a midweek CL game I think on the 18/19 February leaving only the 25/26 of Feb left to play the replay.

It would be ideal for me if that was the case!

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathandveal83/status/1221114123817189376

Well then it might look like our seasonal break will be cut short (as will Spurs’)

I think I am right in saying that Danso has never played centre back for us, ever?

Being that he bad some history of playing full back before he joined us I am struggling to understand the constant defence of him that he is played out of position. Maybe he isn't?

Refer to post 283

Playing RB is a hell of a different game to playing CB, just ask Yoshida. Danso isn’t going to stay here after his loan I think it’s safe to say, but he’s been given absolutely no chance imo. He must be awful in training, and got to trust Ralph, but I do feel for him.

I suppose that the question is : "Is Danso crapper than Jack Stephens when he was crap before he became quite good? "

or Bednarek

or JWP

or Hojberg

or Redmond

or Ings

or going back a bit as crap as Pelle

Is he is crap as Adams?

This forum does love having a scapegoat. Clearly it is Danso's turn now.

I feel a bit sorry for Danso having his only chances out of position, but he was definitely the weak link today, caused the whole back line problems as Stephens was having to run out to cover him causing gaps in the centre.

Bednarek was responsible for causing some goals at season start, wrong positioning, back oriented, a liability. But RH was loyal to him and improved him to a good player again. So the same can happen with Danso.

We're like Jekyll and Hyde. We play away, high tempo, fierce pressing, get the ball forward quickly and use our pace to pull opponents apart. At home, we had 59% possession for the God knows how many times achieved by passing sideways and backwards, worse once Armstrong went off. The two centre backs plus JWP and PEH were the culprits yet again. That allowed us to slowly work our way into Spurs half pull ourselves out of shape then expose ourselves to quick counters. It was obvious the Spurs by dropping off was sucking us in.

We have to stop falling for it and just quickly pass the ball up to the forwards as we do away, cut out the false possession which only succeeds in eventually leaving ourselves short at the back. midfield out of position and the full backs pushed up. We have to set the agenda by playing at home the same way we play away. Just cut out the possession at the back and we are half way there.

Enjoyed the game, took advantage of the cheap tickets to behind the dugouts in premium seats for £10.

Weird flicking through the match thread with comments like "game over" when Spurs scored because it was an even match that we always looked like scoring in.

They are good on the break and neat in possession, but then they should be with their expensive squad. They certainly weren't a better team than us though. We definitely use our players more effectively than they do.

Great goal by Boufal, really pleased for him. Loved the mid air flick that nutmegged a Spurs player too. Pity Armstrong got injured but these things happen and as a squad we've not really suffered too many this season.

Good to be in the hat for the next round.

He's had the chances to play. CB is not some different world from full back. The things making him awful wouldn't change based on position, they'd likely be far worse at CB. Can't think of worse traits to have as a CB than sprinting out of position, constantly committing, giving away fouls and generally being rash.

It's nice you defend him, but nerves and being young are just something players have to handle if they're going to make it.

Of course CB is a different world than FB

But it’s because of VAR that you get refs like that.

Sorry? The ref’s in this country are dreadful, an experienced ‘top’ referee was in the VAR box and didn’t intervene a complete blatant foul or complete blatant foul. Don’t blame VAR. The refs in this country are the reason VAR is here at all. It didn’t work for us today but thank god it is otherwise we’d be heading down.