Liverpool v Saints Build Up

trousers

Saw their game against West Ham. Kind of boring. Liverpool's defense is not used to pressing from the other side. Not at all. Westham pressed in total 2 and 1/2 minutes or so and even in this minor time span they could win the ball several times. So their defense will have a hard time with us on Saturday!

On the other side their forwards are extremly clinical, as we know. Our RB position will have no problem, whoever plays in our team there, because Mané will be out.

Our midfield and the defenders will be crucial for the result of the game. Both teams will make goals.

2:2 or 2:3 for us.

Saw their game against West Ham. Kind of boring. Liverpool's defense is not used to pressing from the other side. Not at all. Westham pressed in total 2 and 1/2 minutes or so and even in this minor time span they could win the ball several times. So their defense will have a hard time with us on Saturday!

On the other side their forwards are extremly clinical, as we know. Our RB position will have no problem, whoever plays in our team there, because Mané will be out.

Our midfield and the defenders will be crucial for the result of the game. Both teams will make goals.

2:2 or 2:3 for us.

Thanks Ralph!

Embarassing. atleast our players dont have this attitude.

Keep your hair on mate, don’t worry I’m not giving the team talk, just being realistic - Liverpool have won 23 out of 24 league games this season, no one has taken even a point from them at Anfield, I’d be buzzing if we did. We’ve been good recently but I also saw how we collapsed at home to Wolves having been 2-0 up, don’t think we’re good enough defensively to stop them.

Keep your hair on mate, don’t worry I’m not giving the team talk, just being realistic - Liverpool have won 23 out of 24 league games this season, no one has taken even a point from them at Anfield, I’d be buzzing if we did. We’ve been good recently but I also saw how we collapsed at home to Wolves having been 2-0 up, don’t think we’re good enough defensively to stop them.

Agree. Even if Saints play well and Liverpool are poor they will still have chances from corners, free kicks etc as good as our centre halves have played recently they will not win headers against Van Dijk etc and I expect the usual soft penalty award to Liverpool from Mr Friend.

I’ve been lucky enough to have seen us win 4 times at Anfield 3 in the premier league 1998, 2003, 2013 and of course the Shane Long day league cup semi final and I’m going to this game and will be happy with a point to be honest.

I'd like to see KWP start. Don't think Valery is an option after a long lay-off and, IIRC, his last game was 0-9. Not the right game or time for rehabilitation.

The only other alternative at RB is JWP as I'm ruling out Danso who looked really out of place last week. But I'd rather he kept his midfield place where he's been excellent. In fact, for this game, I'd push him into Armstrong's spot and use Romeu, with Djenepo and Boufal as options as subs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd like to see KWP start. Don't think Valery is an option after a long lay-off and, IIRC, his last game was 0-9. Not the right game or time for rehabilitation.

The only other alternative at RB is JWP as I'm ruling out Danso who looked really out of place last week. But I'd rather he kept his midfield place where he's been excellent. In fact, for this game, I'd push him into Armstrong's spot and use Romeu, with Djenepo and Boufal as options as subs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Valery's last appearance was in the 2-1 win against Watford, his last start was in the narrow 2-1 loss to Man City

Given both have been injured it and lack match practice it might be wise to involve both, replacing one after an hour with the other depending on which looks better to ralph in training.

Too much optimism in this thread me thinks. Although our away form is good their home form is superb. 3-0 loss or so.

Remember the 4-3 of Liverpool against Salzburg in European Champions-League in autumn. LV got 3 goals within minutes or so. Salzbug played a similar style to Southhampton, but had a weaker defense. Let's see ...

Agree. Even if Saints play well and Liverpool are poor they will still have chances from corners, free kicks etc as good as our centre halves have played recently they will not win headers against Van Dijk etc and I expect the usual soft penalty award to Liverpool from Mr Friend.

I’ve been lucky enough to have seen us win 4 times at Anfield 3 in the premier league 1998, 2003, 2013 and of course the Shane Long day league cup semi final and I’m going to this game and will be happy with a point to be honest.

Yeah over the years our record isn’t that bad, in some ways we’re more likely to get something here then lose at home to Burnley , but I think Liverpool will go all out for the points knowing they have a nice two week break to come afterwards, we might even have an eye on the Spurs replay.

There's a spare ticket going. Friend of mine got one for me but I can't make it now. If anyone wants it I can put you in touch with him so you can meet outside the ground.

Bumping this in case people have missed it. I'm gutted I can't go but I would rather it didn't result in an empty seat, given how small an allocation we got.

Bumping this in case people have missed it. I'm gutted I can't go but I would rather it didn't result in an empty seat, given how small an allocation we got.

hello. i'm looking for a ticket. i live in london though. could meet you in london or someone outside the ground. i'm a season ticket holder.

hello. i'm looking for a ticket. i live in london though. could meet you in london or someone outside the ground. i'm a season ticket holder.

I see you're a registered user so can't PM. Give me your email address and I'll send you the contact details so you can meet my friend outside the ground.

Anything can happen, although very unlikley.

Liverpool look a bit jaded at the mo, bit tired, griding out results rather than blitzing as they have been. We've got them at the right time in sense of tiredness I think...just before their 'break' - and they have to lose at somepoint, this season or next season...someone will have to beat them.

If we put them under pressure and scare them with our running in the final third, then who knows. Not expecting a single dot of anything, but there's nothing wrong with a tiny bit of hope at the unlikley.

I think Ralph May switch to three at the back for this one. Would always have been an option at Liverpool, but the right back situation may make that an easier decision and play JWP at right wing back. So I think it could be:

Alex

Stephens, Yoshida, Bednarek

JWP, Romeu, PEH, Bertrand

Boufal

Ings, Obafemi

Sorry must have had a brain freeze, omitting Redmond! This but Redmond for Obafemi.

Anything can happen, although very unlikley.

Liverpool look a bit jaded at the mo, bit tired, griding out results rather than blitzing as they have been. We've got them at the right time in sense of tiredness I think...just before their 'break' - and they have to lose at somepoint, this season or next season...someone will have to beat them.

If we put them under pressure and scare them with our running in the final third, then who knows. Not expecting a single dot of anything, but there's nothing wrong with a tiny bit of hope at the unlikley.

That's how I feel - from a Liverpool point of view it feels like we have got them at the best time (relative to how they have done so far of course!). From a Saints point of view, also pretty good timing in that we will have some confidence from our recent displays as well as nothing to lose/fear due to league position. Not sure I buy into the idea a point is the best we can hope for either, that's only really the case if your attack is toothless, but ours isn't.

My main concern is how important the players we are missing are to us (don't fancy Danso at RB...) And the referee being Kevin Friend of course, his display in the "Filip Djuricic" home defeat against them a few years ago still ranks as one of the worst I've seen.

Think we will put in a good performance and I fancy Ings to score but I expect Liverpool will get at least three.

They are a level above anyone at the moment.

They are as good as they are allowed to be good. As I stated already above, they are maybe not used to get pressed themselves. They will make mistakes, relying on their CB-CB-keeper-CB-CB play. But Klopp is clever and will try to avoid pressing. RH on the other side will know that Klopp is clever and will react to Klopp's reaction and so on ...

Football is sometimes very easy - LV will underestimate us whatever warnings Klopp will say to his players so I expect a pleasant surprise.

They are as good as they are allowed to be good. As I stated already above, they are maybe not used to get pressed themselves. They will make mistakes, relying on their CB-CB-keeper-CB-CB play. But Klopp is clever and will try to avoid pressing. RH on the other side will know that Klopp is clever and will react to Klopp's reaction and so on ...

Football is sometimes very easy - LV will underestimate us whatever warnings Klopp will say to his players so I expect a pleasant surprise.

They are good. Simply too good.

McCarthy

Bertrand

Bednarek

Stephens

JWP*

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Djenepo

Redmond

Ings

Long

(* Torn between playing JWP out of position, when he's been one of our best midfielders during our recent top 4 form, versus the alternative of playing a weaker RB.)

So, reading between the lines of today's press conference, I've got a feeling Ralph will chuck Valery back into the deep end, thus allowing JWP to play in the position he's been thriving in recently...

McCarthy

Bertrand

Bednarek

Stephens

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Djenepo

Redmond

Ings

Long

So, reading between the lines of today's press conference, I've got a feeling Ralph will chuck Valery back into the deep end, thus allowing JWP to play in the position he's been thriving in recently...

McCarthy

Bertrand

Bednarek

Stephens

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Djenepo

Redmond

Ings

Long

Let's hope so, the thought of JWP up against Andy Robertson is not very appealing. Would have my doubts though given Valery has only been back in training since Monday.

Having read the blind optimism on this thread I think it's fairly obvious that we're in for a good scudding, three or four nil. My own wet dream goes along the lines of VVD scoring for them in the last minute and then Chay equalizing before Danny wins it in stoppage time.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Free hit for us. Yes, beating Spurs is the priority.

Liverpool have won the league, they don't care about goal difference, so would be more than happy with an effortless 1-0 win and no injuries. I reckon 2-0 to them, with them going 1 up by midway and holding out comfortably. Late on as we try to get the equaliser they'll hit us on the break for the second.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/virgil-van-dijk-reflects-forcing-21396617

I would ****ing love it if we could beat them...

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Once a Van D.ick Head, always a Van D.ick Head. Not that he's wrong, it's just the manner of his departure and rubbing salt in the wounds. You got your move p.r.i.c.k, just be graceful about it

Interesting that the BBC said Liverpool have been below their best in winning the last three games. For us to win, maybe a bit of tiredness from Wednesday, a bit of complacency perhaps, certainly a bit of luck - red card, injury to VVD, own goal etc - and a solid performance from us, the last bit difficult to see without Cedric and Armstrong, it makes the right side weak, Klopp will realise this and bomb his left back on. So target him for a dead leg.

Interesting that the BBC said Liverpool have been below their best in winning the last three games...

Only saw the last one. West Ham's team was kind of shy most of the time, didn't much believe in themselves. Maybe this is part of the last game's success of LV - that the other sides considered themselves as victims from the beginning. I am pretty sure Southampton won't play the role of victims but be aggressive and LV will not be familiar with such a dedicated other side.

saints to score first though a pumped up ings and lose 3-1 in a not that heart breaking but rather annoying manner i reckon. im just enjoying the fact that i happy to predict we wlil score first and compete in a game against a team on the run they are.

To be fair, several teams have competed against them recently, they have not been at their best (I didn't see the Wham game so can't comment). Late winners or grinding out a result is Liverpool at the moment. Shrews even got a draw against their U11 Girls team.