Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Based on his turnaround at Celtic, I'd say he's a confidence-driven shot stopper, who isn't great coming out for crosses and has a weakness getting down to low shots. We're not the right team for a keeper with shaky confidence, or one with limitations that our defence isn't dominant enough to mitigate. Understandably, playing for the biggest club in Scotland conceals pretty much all of these.

This. Get rid in summer while his stock is high.

We've made a £70m profit the last two years but we cant afford to buy players without selling them, so this is irrelevant.

No it isn't. Because it was an an answer to the question 'will Celtic have enough money'. The link is evidence of their money, the question was not do they have the intention to use their money on players.

No it isn't. Because it was an an answer to the question 'will Celtic have enough money'. The link is evidence of their money, the question was not do they have the intention to use their money on players.

We were told over the weekend that reported profits do not equal having money to sign players. I suggest you go away and come back will a fully updated set of accounts along with the power point presentation as to their business model before you jump to any conclusions about Celtics ability to fund transfers. You were fully behind those who supported saints not spending questioning if we "would prefer to be unsustainable" so you need to be consistent Matthew.

Think we need someone to clear up the Forster situation. Is he a really good player who has been treated really badly or his he one of the raft of crap players on big money we can’t sell that mean we can’t sign any new players? Seems to be a divided view on this one

An average keeper who seems to be highly driven by confidence, playing for the best team by a distance in a pub league. I'd rip your hand off for £5-10M and his wages off the books. I'd say he's probably no better than either McCarthy or Gunn even on his day...

We were told over the weekend that reported profits do not equal having money to sign players. I suggest you go away and come back will a fully updated set of accounts along with the power point presentation as to their business model before you jump to any conclusions about Celtics ability to fund transfers. You were fully behind those who supported saints not spending questioning if we "would prefer to be unsustainable" so you need to be consistent Matthew.

You're being obtuse. You were reminded that our latest published accounts reveled a trading loss. That's a fact. You were also told by Verlaine that we only then made an overall profit because we sold players. Joining up the dots as to why we can't just buy players should not be difficult.

On topic, none of us know whether Celtic can afford to or want to sign any of our players.

It's unfortunate that people would prefer to speculate about other clubs finances than focus on the reality of ours. On that point, our accounts are due by the end of next month and we'll get to see where we were at as the end of last season - my guess is that it will show that all of the previous years overall profits have been properly spent, to include on players but let's wait and see.

You're being obtuse. You were reminded that our latest published accounts reveled a trading loss. That's a fact. You were also told by Verlaine that we only then made an overall profit because we sold players. Joining up the dots as to why we can't just buy players should not be difficult.

On topic, none of us know whether Celtic can afford to or want to sign any of our players.

It's unfortunate that people would prefer to speculate about other clubs finances than focus on the reality of ours. On that point, our accounts are due by the end of next month and we'll get to see where we were at as the end of last season - my guess is that it will show that all of the previous years overall profits have been properly spent, to include on players but let's wait and see.

Going to be interesting to see them for sure. With no big money sales it'll be interesting to see how sustainable we are......

How do you suggest we close the trading loss?

Our wage bill (as a % of turnover) is bang average for a premier league side so only modest reductions could realistically be made here.

We would need to increase gate and TV monies, commercial revenues and dramatically improve other sources of income? Non of which is going to happen while we fight relegation each season.

Strikes me that you'd need to improve revenue streams before you focus on a sustainable model

the largest earner at Celtic is Scott Sinclair on £32.5k a week.

Thanks. So they'd either need to smash their wage cap to sign either or we'd have to put our hands on our pockets. We still don't know whether they'd want either though.

Our wage bill (as a % of turnover) is bang average for a premier league side so only modest reductions could realistically be made here.

We would need to increase gate and TV monies, commercial revenues and dramatically improve other sources of income? Non of which is going to happen while we fight relegation each season.

Strikes me that you'd need to improve revenue streams before you focus on a sustainable model

Spend what we make better. We are taking massive hits on players such as Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina etc plus pay offs to Hughes, Pellegrino and their back room teams.

We can still spend within our means and improve.

Spend what we make better. We are taking massive hits on players such as Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina etc plus pay offs to Hughes, Pellegrino and their back room teams.

We can still spend within our means and improve.

How are we taking "massive" hits on players who are not at the club?

They are still employees of Saints, with Saints paying some of their wages as their value decreases.

how do you know? if we did, how much?

depreciation in player value (as a contract runs down) is surely factored for every single player we have?

I predict that Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Danso and Boufal will all leave in the summer. Possibly Romeu as well. That would mean we'd need the following in the summer..

2x CB

1x RB

1x LB

2x CM

1x AM

7-8 players in one summer? It's just not going to happen.

Perhaps Hojbjerg, Bertrand and Boufal will not move

Err we do not have a trading loss - we have made a profit the last two years at least. Whether we choose to use that money on players is a different matter, but we are not making a loss.

Surely talk about Adam Lallana is just that. Talk. His move to Liverpool in 2014 was a bad idea, money over loyalty, poorly handled and not much of a career move, due in part to injuries, but even when fit he hasn't been a stand-out player for them. It's all very well having some medals to clean but they aren't worth a lot if you didn't contribute much to the team that won them. There wouldn't be talk linking him to Southampton if he wasn't a former player, which is no qualification for a signing.

He'll probably make me eat my words, but Ziyech has the look of a player who'll vanish at a club like Chelsea.

Ziyech will ‘vanish’ at any club in the PL when his teammates aren’t willing to do the dirty work for him. Great player but he tends to lose the ball a bit too much.

He is too lightweight for the PL. great player but his style of play wont fit.

I agree, he seemed to pop up on the wing a lot for Ajax in the CL last year, but didn't look like he quite had the speed or presence to operate there for one of the big clubs in the PL. That said, I might just be prejudiced against him for missing that absolute sitter in the first half that would've knocked Spurs out in the semi second leg.

Is there a keeper out there? Been so long since we had a decent one.

People go so easy on McCarthy on here, probably because Forster was so bad for a while and then Gunn struggled so much. But he's so easy to score past. Consistently poor positioning, very rarely dominates the box. Behind his line for the 1st goal. Kicking always poor. Is that really the level we're ok with?

Honesty who is a worse first choice keeper in the premier league? I wouldn't say he's as good as Fabianski, Foster, Frul, Reina and they're all in relegation battles.

Spine of the team needs serious work. Keeper, CB, CM and keeping Ings.

We’ve got 3 keepers who are all of a pretty average standard. None are good enough for first choice and at best best all Would be back up for most PL teams.

Pretty much the same as every position on the pitch, which is why we are struggling season after season.

Is there a keeper out there? Been so long since we had a decent one.

People go so easy on McCarthy on here, probably because Forster was so bad for a while and then Gunn struggled so much. But he's so easy to score past. Consistently poor positioning, very rarely dominates the box. Behind his line for the 1st goal. Kicking always poor. Is that really the level we're ok with?

Honesty who is a worse first choice keeper in the premier league? I wouldn't say he's as good as Fabianski, Foster, Frul, Reina and they're all in relegation battles.

Spine of the team needs serious work. Keeper, CB, CM and keeping Ings.

Forster and Gunn let in a goal every 1.2 shots, so we should be at least be grateful to have a keeper with at least the basic skills to keep goal, even if his kicking is a bit iffy.

If McCarthy had a decent defence in front of him he’d be regarded and lauded on here.

LOL, those choices, Liverpool, Dortmund, Leipzig or Southampton.

At a guess he's probably being looked at as back up for Liverpool or a replacement for Sancho at Dortmund, so is being scouted, might not necessarily mean its that player they chose.

Liverpool are losing Lallana on a free and probably Shaqiri as well, so lack a lot depth in those wide areas for someone like Mane or Salah, so I'd reckon they are looking a whole a host of wide players.

And Dortmund must be expecting Sancho to go this summer.

Highly unlikely but German newspapers Bild and Weser kurier report we, along with Liverpool, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund are interested in €38 million euro Werder Bremen winger Milot Rashica.

https://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=368045

(Link in Dutch)

Why is it? Who thought we'd sign Kevin Keegan? Didn't they once say man would never walk on the moon?

Highly unlikely but German newspapers Bild and Weser kurier report we, along with Liverpool, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund are interested in €38 million euro Werder Bremen winger Milot Rashica.

https://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=368045

(Link in Dutch)

Why is that unlikely, he might not be very high on Liverpool or Dortmund’s list ( they can’t sign everybody. If we want him more than they do, Southampton would be his likely destination.......