Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Pretty pointless thread this. Not to be too pessimistic, but whilst we have this clown as owner, I very much doubt there will be too much activity.

More season long loans or cut price deals for Hoedt, Lemina, Carrillo etc with no net spend.

Hilarious the sh!t Gao gets even though he has been a clear improvement on the catastrophic administration of the obese heiress (not difficult). Complaints that he doesn't put his own money in to buy players, have people not been looking at Everton? Making massive losses and achieving absolutely nothing. When a club has a turnover of close to 200m you need the money of a sovereign wealth fund for it to make any difference. We don't know how good or bad Gao is as an owner yet, I have said this before it takes time for decisions made at the top to make it's way to results on the pitch, it seems people see Gao coming in August 2017 and that it is his fault that we are abysmal in 2017-18 and 2018-19 despite the groundwork for that mess being made from 2014 at a time when we were good. We have a massive amount of dross clogging up the wage bill, a lot a that needs to be cleared first. New people are now running the club, ever consider that maybe Gao didn't trust the people that were there before to invest properly? Hunter, Reed, Wilson, all gone. Why would Gao let those clowns waste even more money than they already had? I wouldn't, I would do what he did and replace them with people I would consider more competent. We will know a lot more about Gao and the people now running the club after the summer window, you can't extrapolate what will happen based on what has gone on before since from Gao's takeover until now we have just been cleaning up the mess Fat Kat and her minions left behind.

We will never ever let 4 first team players ride out the final year of their contract.

Never ever going to happen at a club that MUST sell before even loaning a player

Remarkable situation.

Long, Cedric and Yoshida will all go, hojbjerg will probably go plus we may get lucky and shift a few of the ones out on loan. Can see Bertrand going too.

We will bring in two or three, make a profit again and it’ll be hailed as returning to our values of developing young players.

We will never ever let 4 first team players ride out the final year of their contract.

Never ever going to happen at a club that MUST sell before even loaning a player

Remarkable situation.

We let Long, Cedric and Yoshida enter the last year of their contracts this season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Long, Cedric and Yoshida will all go, hojbjerg will probably go plus we may get lucky and shift a few of the ones out on loan. Can see Bertrand going too.

We will bring in two or three, make a profit again and it’ll be hailed as returning to our values of developing young players.

Can you tell me what other options there are given the wreck Wilson/Krueger and Reed left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debatable as Long and Cedric have been a huge part of us avoiding relegation, but it's irrelevant to the point. You said that we as a club don't let players run their contracts down and we clearly do.

Long going for nothing as opposed to £5m or so...is literally millions and not really up for debate

my point is, we wont with the others as they are better/worth more in the market than long/yoshida

How will it cost us millions all 3 past sell by date you really haven’t a clue

considering we really need to ship out cedric to bring in KWP, I think every penny counts at SFC

or, we could just keep Cedric (which I hope happens) till the summer.

Can you tell me what other options there are given the wreck Wilson/Krueger and Reed left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only money that has been spent has what has been generated from sales. Every other club manages to spend money without having to sell players first, I don’t know what’s so special about us. They’ve all made bad signings too, it’s only us that can’t sign players because we bought in some duds,

Has any Club in the premier league had a Good January Transfer Window?

Players just aren’t available at this time of the year.

We’ve seen Chelsea try and sign a striker all window and still nothing

Utd need 3 or 4 players and are having to pay 10/15m more for a player than they wanted to get 1 in.

Arsenal are signing Cedric and a relatively unknown CB

I know in an ideal world we’d sign two or three but I’d say our activity in January is indicative of the market in general, rather than our overall strategy.

The summer will be a better marker

The big 6 can have all the bad January windows they want, because they are never ever going to be in danger of relegation.

Our problem is we've done highly questionable business in three successive summer windows, and it's still biting us in the arse to the extent that we may not have the means to improve the squad this summer.

The big 6 can have all the bad January windows they want, because they are never ever going to be in danger of relegation.

Our problem is we've done highly questionable business in three successive summer windows, and it's still biting us in the arse to the extent that we may not have the means to improve the squad this summer.

Laughable. We’ve made £70m profit the last two years, we’ve got 3 big earners going off the wage bill. How can we not have the means to improve the squad?

Laughable. We’ve made £70m profit the last two years, we’ve got 3 big earners going off the wage bill. How can we not have the means to improve the squad?

The club's owners have made profit, but given our seemingly staunch commitment to the "sell to buy" ethos, I prefer to remain sceptical about our ability to improve the squad.

I won't complain if I'm wrong.

Mainly my point was the futility of comparing our January business to that of Chelsea/United.

They don't face the same risks we do.

Agree. However, I cannot find any evidence from the owner's stance that he (and ofcourse 20% Kat) have reneged on their stance that the club would be self sustaining (i.e nothing in but nothing out either money wise). So the board are maybe choosing to keep their powder dry for now, or indeed doing a very poor job of outgoing vs incoming - maybe a risky strategy? Certainly don't see massive amounts of reddies being siphoned off from the club.

6 months in the premier league and Sheffield United now have a higher record transfer fee than us. Of all current premier league team only Norwich and burley have a lower record than us.

And West Ham spent over £100 million this season alone, including £45 million on one player, who has a massive 6 goals this season. Yet they are below us and Burnley. Man Utd have a bigger record transfer several times than Man City, that is not working out very well for them.

Liverpool sold a player for £150 million and used that to fund Van Dijk and Allison, which has worked out massively well for them whilst Coutinho flopped for Barcelona and is out on loan.

A huge amount of our fans thought we paid far too much for Danny Ings, but he now is pretty much our best signing in years and one of the best striker buys in the PL of recent times.

Transfer fees are meaningless if you don't recruit properly.

As out near £100 million in outlay for players that currently are either out on loan or are bench regulars show, whilst two of our relative cheap buys of recent times in Bednerak and Armstrong have become important first teamers, yet they cost barely half what we paid for Carillo.

Our current starting Keeper cost £3.5 million, our centre-back £5 million, the other centre-back was £150k and our left back was £10 million, and Cedric was £4 million.

So our entire back 5 cost much less than we have paid for two centre-backs in recent times.

What is the point in looking at other clubs transfer fees? To see they have big money failings like us, or even bigger failings? Newcastle and West Ham alone have spent nearly £90 million this year on strikers who combined have less than HALF Danny Ings' goal tally.

But wohoo they broke their record transfer, so that is something right?

6 months in the premier league and Sheffield United now have a higher record transfer fee than us. Of all current premier league team only Norwich and burley have a lower record than us.

Although if he turns out to be crap, Sheffield United are lumbered with an even worse failure than Carrillo.

And West Ham spent over £100 million this season alone, including £45 million on one player, who has a massive 6 goals this season. Yet they are below us and Burnley. Man Utd have a bigger record transfer several times than Man City, that is not working out very well for them.

Liverpool sold a player for £150 million and used that to fund Van Dijk and Allison, which has worked out massively well for them whilst Coutinho flopped for Barcelona and is out on loan.

A huge amount of our fans thought we paid far too much for Danny Ings, but he now is pretty much our best signing in years and one of the best striker buys in the PL of recent times.

As out near £100 million in outlay for players that currently are either out on loan or are bench regulars show, whilst two of our relative cheap buys of recent times in Bednerak and Armstrong have become important first teamers, yet they cost barely half what we paid for Carillo.

Our current starting Keeper cost £3.5 million, our centre-back £5 million, the other centre-back was £150k and our left back was £10 million, and Cedric was £4 million.

So our entire back 5 cost much less than we have paid for two centre-backs in recent times.

What is the point in looking at other clubs transfer fees? To see they have big money failings like us, or even bigger failings? Newcastle and West Ham alone have spent nearly £90 million this year on strikers who combined have less than HALF Danny Ings' goal tally.

Top post.

Agree. However, I cannot find any evidence from the owner's stance that he (and ofcourse 20% Kat) have reneged on their stance that the club would be self sustaining (i.e nothing in but nothing out either money wise). So the board are maybe choosing to keep their powder dry for now, or indeed doing a very poor job of outgoing vs incoming - maybe a risky strategy? Certainly don't see massive amounts of reddies being siphoned off from the club.

The board have kept their powder dry from the last 5 years, when's it going to get damp?

17 current premier league clubs have a higher record transfer fee than us

We are the only premier league club that has made a profit from transfers

We have glaring holes in our squad and were lucky not to be relegated the last two seasons

Up until 2 months ago we looked certainties to be relegated this season

A brief run of good form changes nothing from the fact we lack real quality and depth in about 6 positions

But some fans are happy to applaud our magnificently successful sustainable model which relies totally on us selling anything that isn't nailed down to make any improvements to poor squad.

Don't care how much we spend, so long as they are the right players. After a couple of years of pain, we can at least start chipping away at the massive wage bill Les managed to construct, as contracts start to expire.

Cedric out - Need a RB

Yoshida and Danso out - Need a CB.

Long out - Need a striker

Then there's a whole bunch of question marks. Hoedt, Vest, Forster, Moi, Boufal, Adams, Carrillo, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu, Hojbjerg all either wanting to leave or we want rid.

17 current premier league clubs have a higher record transfer fee than us - And yet we're 9th in the League, is that not good financial management? Not to mention most of our bigger spend signings have been flops, we have better luck recruiting around the £5 million - £10 million bracket.

We are the only premier league club that has made a profit from transfers - more money to spend in the summer? Either way again we're still 9th and one of the most in form teams in the Premier League.

We have glaring holes in our squad and were lucky not to be relegated the last two seasons - Agree we had two bad seasons, but that was also down to poor management. A good manager comes in and gets the best out of his squad, despite the fact that there are some holes in it.

Up until 2 months ago we looked certainties to be relegated this season - Hardly certainties but there were some worrying moments - but that's in the past and we did get those wins.

A brief run of good form changes nothing from the fact we lack real quality and depth in about 6 positions - We're about 2% likely to get relegated now according to the bookies, and on 31 points we should get the 9 or so for guaranteed safety. I agree with some posters though that we may struggle to climb the table much higher due to not strengthening the squad when we're in a position that we could push on from.

But some fans are happy to applaud our magnificently successful sustainable model which relies totally on us selling anything that isn't nailed down to make any improvements to poor squad.

If we were still in the relegation zone, then yes I'd be arguing the same and this window would have been a disaster (although realistically we may have seen some incomings if relegation was still likely) but we're pretty comfortable in 9th requiring a relatively small points total for at least another Prem season. If we don't sign quality in the summer though, that will be the time to kick off.

We have glaring holes in our squad and were lucky not to be relegated the last two seasons

A brief run of good form changes nothing from the fact we lack real quality and depth in about 6 positions

None of which responds to any of the points I made, congrats, your comment on record transfers was dumb, yet you repeat it, its meaningless as I showed beyond some sort of box ticking exercise to spend money for spending moneys sake.

Also 'brief run of good form' is nonsense, since Ralph has taken over we have largely been in top 10 form, aside for a little run of poor form so if anything our poor start of the season was a brief run of poor form whilst we had a very tough run of fixtures, it is the anomaly not the other way round.

Our record under Ralph amounts to about 1.3 points per game or about 50 points. We have played enough games now to have a good sample and that record shows we are basically a mid table team with a mid table squad.

Where are the 'glaring holes in our squad' exactly? We have a decent first 11 eleven as shown by them being 9th in the league currently and only 3 points from 5th place, with one of the easiest run ins of anyone in the league. We also have decent cover now for most positions, we are not even in Europe and have pretty much a league game every week to deal with, what the hell do we need a massive squad for?

We have players like Boufal, Djenepo, Adams, Vestergaard, Gunn etc. barely getting any minutes on the pitch but apparently our squad is oh so woefully thin?

LOL.

Also how hard is to get that the problem is not transfer fees, its wages, we have to shift players off the wages. We have players who are amongst our highest earners either not at the club or barely making the bench. like 30% of our entire wage budget is being spent on players making no footballing impact for the football club.

We made sh*t signings, we know that, the club knows that and the people responsible for that are gone and a new team is coming in, those sh*t signings are on big wages and we need to clear some of them to sign new players, not sure how hard that is to get and that is unlikely to happen until the summer.

In the meantime we have a decent squad, playing well and a not very challenging fixture list neither in terms of number/frequency of games or quality of opponents so the panic and moaning going on in these threads is frank'y absurd.

Edited by tajjuk

If we were still in the relegation zone, then yes I'd be arguing the same and this window would have been a disaster (although realistically we may have seen some incomings if relegation was still likely) but we're pretty comfortable in 9th requiring a relatively small points total for at least another Prem season. If we don't sign quality in the summer though, that will be the time to kick off.

Staying up is the goal, it's just like the days of Askham, Lowe and the Dell.

#survivalisuccess

My hope is that whatever happens in terms of player transfers over the next 8 months, we have Ralph in charge and happy with the squad he has, so that we can start the season the front foot. That said, this is my take:

GK - don't expect any changes for first & second choice, but would like FF to be shipped out even if for a token fee.

If KWP does well over the rest of the season, I'd be very surprised if the move isn't made permanent. I hope that Valery rises to the challenge to trying to take the first team spot, too.

I'd like to see Vokins given a few more games to see whether he's ready to push for a first team spot. Unless Bertrand signs a new deal, we may well be looking for someone else.

CB is definitely a problem, as after Stephens and Bednarek, the rest don't seem to have Ralph's confidence.

I fully expect Romeu to leave in the summer and if Hojbjerg doesn't sign his new contract, he'll be sold, so we will need to sign replacements.

Unless someone leaves, I don't expect they'll bring in any more forwards or wingers.

Will anyone buy Carillo, Lemina or Moi? I bloody hope so, but am not holding my breath for the fees for the three of them to do more than cover the cost of one decent incoming player.

None of which responds to any of the points I made, congrats, your comment on record transfers was dumb, yet you repeat it, its meaningless as I showed beyond some sort of box ticking exercise to spend money for spending moneys sake.

Also 'brief run of good form' is nonsense, since Ralph has taken over we have largely been in top 10 form, aside for a little run of poor form so if anything our poor start of the season was a brief run of poor form whilst we had a very tough run of fixtures, it is the anomaly not the other way round.

Our record under Ralph amounts to about 1.3 points per game or about 50 points. We have played enough games now to have a good sample and that record shows we are basically a mid table team with a mid table squad.

Where are the 'glaring holes in our squad' exactly? We have a decent first 11 eleven as shown by them being 9th in the league currently and only 3 points from 5th place, with one of the easiest run ins of anyone in the league. We also have decent cover now for most positions, we are not even in Europe and have pretty much a league game every week to deal with, what the hell do we need a massive squad for?

We have players like Boufal, Djenepo, Adams, Vestergaard, Gunn etc. barely getting any minutes on the pitch but apparently our squad is oh so woefully thin?

LOL.

Also how hard is to get that the problem is not transfer fees, its wages, we have to shift players off the wages. We have players who are amongst our highest earners either not at the club or barely making the bench. like 30% of our entire wage budget is being spent on players making no footballing impact for the football club.

We made sh*t signings, we know that, the club knows that and the people responsible for that are gone and a new team is coming in, those sh*t signings are on big wages and we need to clear some of them to sign new players, not sure how hard that is to get and that is unlikely to happen until the summer.

In the meantime we have a decent squad, playing well and a not very challenging fixture list neither in terms of number/frequency of games or quality of opponents so the panic and moaning going on in these threads is frank'y absurd.

You might consider spending a decent wedge of cash on key positions like centre back to be "spending money for spending moneys sake" I consider it to be a vital part of being a competitive top flight club.

As for the glaring holes in our squad, if you don't know where we are lacking depth and quality i'd suggest football isn't the game for you.

If we're playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 whatever, I'd say we need another personally. If Ings gets injured then it's down to Adams and Baffers, with nobody on the bench.

No it's fine, we're 9th! We don't have any holes in our squad! Our squad is amazing and we should all applaud our amazing self sustainable business model.

Not sure about applaud, but I've managed to come to terms about something I have no control over.

If we are sticking with the 4-2-2-2 then I would say we need a squad consisting of:

3 x GK

2 x RB

2 x LB

4 x CB

4 x CM

4 x AM

4 x CF

Its clear from that where the key areas to focus are:

LB - need one

RB - need a permanent signing in the summer.

CB as we have six but only two are really good enough. Not impossible that none of Yoshida, Vestergaard, Hoedt or Danso will be at the club next season so hopefully four out and two in here.

CM - only have three and there are question marks on whether at least two will still be here next season, whilst I would not at all be suprised if we received bids for JWP as well as Hojbjerg, who will like be sold.

Therefore signings wise I would say we need a left back, right back, two centre backs and potentially up to 3 central midfielders depending on sales.

A lot to do.

I'm not aware of Long's intentions but as he fits our current system so well and whilst we are waiting to see how Obafemi improves over the next couple of seasons we should be offering Shane a new contract.

He's 33 and averages about 3 goals a season. We need to be aiming a lot higher than Shane.

I've not seen anyone suggest that they'd be "happy for us not to sign anyone". All of us want our team and squad to improve. The point is that chucking £20m or whatever on a footballer is not an "investment" as people think. An investment involves getting your money back, with a cherry on top. Our recent track record is shocking and money will be lost on Vestergaard, Moi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina etc. Thus, none of those players represent an investment, rather they'll all lose money.

Goa doesn't like to spend, we all know that, and I'd be surprised if you really think that those signings will persuade him that chucking big bucks at a footballer represents a sound investment. This isn't about what we as fans would like to happen, it's a matter of what us realistic with this bloke in charge.

You're always enormously pleased with yourself to point out that you believe people are misusing the word 'investment' when it comes to buying football players. But since we all understand the context here (in which an owner is putting more money into the thing he owns) why don't you just quit with the odious pedantry, as it doesn't add anything to anyone's understanding of the situation.

You might consider spending a decent wedge of cash on key positions like centre back to be "spending money for spending moneys sake" I consider it to be a vital part of being a competitive top flight club.

As for the glaring holes in our squad, if you don't know where we are lacking depth and quality i'd suggest football isn't the game for you.

Yeh so still no recognition of your dumb comment, shocking.

Key positions like centre back?, cos that is an easy position of fill in January............. I mean Arsenal and Man City with all their millions have done so well there haven't they. We have two centre-backs who seem to have formed a solid partnership and are playing well, doesn't seem very glaring to me.

Based on your dumb comments - i.e 'OMEGRD TRANSFER RECORDS', I don't think it is my football knowledge that is questionable.

Expert opinion is that transfers in January windows are hard to do, clubs often over pay and they end up making very little difference to the team's performance for the rest of the season.

Which would then suggest that a settled team, playing well, for a club that a large wage bill that needs trimming and has a recent history of making poor big money signings, NOT spending money in January is pretty sensible.

But hey what do football experts know and history is irrelevant right, when we have the saintsweb experts who clearly know better :lol:

I would think so, with Nlundulu the youth team back up.

This boy looks good everytime I have seen him play. Fast, skilful and good build for a striker. Hope he can continue his development with us.

Yeh so still no recognition of your dumb comment, shocking.

Key positions like centre back?, cos that is an easy position of fill in January............. I mean Arsenal and Man City with all their millions have done so well there haven't they. We have two centre-backs who seem to have formed a solid partnership and are playing well, doesn't seem very glaring to me.

Based on your dumb comments - i.e 'OMEGRD TRANSFER RECORDS', I don't think it is my football knowledge that is questionable.

Expert opinion is that transfers in January windows are hard to do, clubs often over pay and they end up making very little difference to the team's performance for the rest of the season.

Which would then suggest that a settled team, playing well, for a club that a large wage bill that needs trimming and has a recent history of making poor big money signings, NOT spending money in January is pretty sensible.

But hey what do football experts know and history is irrelevant right, when we have the saintsweb experts who clearly know better :lol:

Not January though isn’t pal. We’ve needed a decent Centre back for 3 years, 6 transfer windows, remind me how it’s gone?

Ralph said for weeks we need to strengthen in January, especially the full back positions. We’ve strengthened in those positions by letting 3 go and one come in by the looks of it. So we’ve actually weakened there.

Not sure what “dumb comment” you’re talking about. Is pointing out that out of 20 premier league clubs only two have a lower record transfer feee than us and no other club has made a profit from transfers? It’s a fact pal, not a dumb comment. It’s funny when people don’t like facts they dismiss them as dumb comments and take high ground, defensive tactics I guess.

I think we need to move on from the season of "it's impossible to do business in January and the club is right not to overspend to sign anyone and it's good we got shot of those players. It was right to sell them. Let's see where we are in the summer and make changes then". That window is closed.

We can now get all warmed up for the summer season of "you can't expect to make loads of signings in one window, the team won't gel and no one can expect all those players to stay if they get a better offer than we can give them so it's correct to sell them. Let's see where we are in January and make changes then".

See you in July everyone.

I predict that Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Danso and Boufal will all leave in the summer. Possibly Romeu as well. That would mean we'd need the following in the summer..

2x CB

1x RB

1x LB

2x CM

1x AM

7-8 players in one summer? It's just not going to happen.