Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

So what if we could have got more for Adams in January. By the same logic we would have had to pay more to replace him.

Just imagine the fur ore on here if the club had simply banked the money leaving us critically short upfront.

I suspect many are looking at this with the benefit of hindsight, on the back of which getting Cedric off the payroll looks a masterstroke although it might not have done had the season progressed with the injury to Walker-Peters, and a few more shaky displays from Valery.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18475570.southampton-aware-celtic-midfielder-olivier-ntchams-availability/

I've seen Ntcham a few times in European/Old Firm games and he clearly has ability. Powerful player, a little bit Lemina like but not as good as Lemina's top level.

Have to wonder why he doesn't always start for Celtic but probably worth a gamble in a swap for Forster.

Not a Hojbjerg replacement though as is better on the ball than off it and PEH is so key in our press.

• 3 weeks later...

Just Looking at the First 11 Squad Numbers

1. McCarthy
  4. Vestergaard (Linked With Leicester)
  5. Stephens
  7. Long
  9. Ings
  10. Adams (Linked With Leeds) 

We could be i a position in closed season with only 4 of the first 11 shirts taken.

Who slots in with new numbers, or do they really not matter anymore.

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Just Looking at the First 11 Squad Numbers

1. McCarthy
  4. Vestergaard (Linked With Leicester)
  5. Stephens
  7. Long
  9. Ings
  10. Adams (Linked With Leeds) 

We could be i a position in closed season with only 4 of the first 11 shirts taken.

Who slots in with new numbers, or do they really not matter anymore.

Smallbone is wearing the number 8 in training games so he may end up with that one. I imagine any new cb and rb will take 2 and 3 respectively and a new midfielder if we get one will pick up 6.

Thought it was strange that Saints briefed the Echo about signing a RB this month from a team whose league has ended. Makes total sense to get someone in early but just talk about it once its done!

With Genk seeming pretty sure Maehle isn't going anywhere, I don't recall us linked with any other RBs.

We have also briefed that we don't want to sign KWP permanently, so would be interesting if there is a u-turn there at all.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 4:06 PM, Dusic said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18475570.southampton-aware-celtic-midfielder-olivier-ntchams-availability/

I've seen Ntcham a few times in European/Old Firm games and he clearly has ability. Powerful player, a little bit Lemina like but not as good as Lemina's top level.

Have to wonder why he doesn't always start for Celtic but probably worth a gamble in a swap for Forster.

Not a Hojbjerg replacement though as is better on the ball than off it and PEH is so key in our press.

Celtic fans i work with really rate Ntcham and say he is a good passer of the ball although his shooting needs imrpovement as he will attempt 20 shots with one on target during a game. He will fit in fine at Saints.

58 minutes ago, waylander said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53107418 

Celtic want to keep Forster and Elyounoussi - not sure they can pay for them though

No doubt we could loan both out quite easily.  Would be somewhat disappointed if we can’t get at least one of them out permanently after they both impressed last (this?) season.  

Rb, CB and CM for me. With longs new contract I can't see us getting a striker, Armstrong and redmond have their places locked down, we don't need a keeper and we will only need a lb if Bertrand leaves (I think he was set to go but the virus may have changed those plans.)

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Rb, CB and CM for me. With longs new contract I can't see us getting a striker, Armstrong and redmond have their places locked down, we don't need a keeper and we will only need a lb if Bertrand leaves (I think he was set to go but the virus may have changed those plans.)

Two centre-mids for me as it seems pretty inevitable Hojberg is leaving, the club is appearing to play hardball on the fee but I can't see them letting his contract run down and going for free. Reckon we will end up selling him for like £20 million.

If he goes then we basically have JWP as a first choice centre mid and then Romeu who is not good enough for the system to start each week. 

Unless Lemina has a massive chance of heart because no top club actually ends up wanting to take him. 

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Two centre-mids for me as it seems pretty inevitable Hojberg is leaving, the club is appearing to play hardball on the fee but I can't see them letting his contract run down and going for free. Reckon we will end up selling him for like £20 million.

If he goes then we basically have JWP as a first choice centre mid and then Romeu who is not good enough for the system to start each week. 

Unless Lemina has a massive chance of heart because no top club actually ends up wanting to take him. 

Can't see us getting two in. Romeu, jwp and one other cm then someone like smallbone will deputise. 

Southampton have been negotiating signing ‘for several weeks’ – Able to meet club’s demands

Southampton fans will likely remember Paul Mitchell.

Now Director of Football at AS Monaco, he worked with the Saints for three years, taking charge of the club’s scouting and recruitment. From there he moved to Tottenham, and then ended up working for the Red Bull group, before taking up his role in the French principality.

Sunday’s edition of L’Equipe reports Mitchell and Monaco are keen on signing Axel Disasi from Stade Reims… and so are Southampton.

The Premier League club have been linked previously, and it’s now claimed they’ve been in negotiations ‘for several weeks’, and are able to meet the price tag requested.

Rennes are also keen, however, they’d have problems paying the €15m required. Wolves have been ‘following’ the situation, although their interest isn’t presented as seriously as Southampton’s.

Disasi is a 22 year old central defender, who can also operate at right back. His contract lasts until June 2021, putting Stade Reims under some pressure to sell this summer if they can’t get a renewal.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-negotiating-signing-several-weeks-ready-meet-clubs-demands/

Edited by SuperSAINT

23 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Reckon we might be one of the clubs after Ngakia from West Ham? Not seen much of him but seems highly regarded.

Possibly but woukd have thought we are looking for a young player with a bit more experience. The likes of Zeefuik and Maehle have played at least a couple of seasons as a starting player.

Shame if Zeefuik goes to Berlin as for that kind of price (less than €6m) he looks a good buy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Possibility of a Clyne and Lallana dream team return - 2020 then complete...

given the financial situation I'm not too adverse to that possibility, regardless of the past. Clyne would be good experience for Valery to learn off as still think he will be good despite how he has looked in these first two games! Lallana would be less neccessary but hes still a quality player I think, better than most of ours, but the uestion is whether he would fit RH style. Lallana in, Boufal out? The reality is that this summer will be one of wheeling and dealing getting out as many as possbile primarily. 2 x CBs are the priority for me. 

11 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

given the financial situation I'm not too adverse to that possibility, regardless of the past. Clyne would be good experience for Valery to learn off as still think he will be good despite how he has looked in these first two games! Lallana would be less neccessary but hes still a quality player I think, better than most of ours, but the uestion is whether he would fit RH style. Lallana in, Boufal out? The reality is that this summer will be one of wheeling and dealing getting out as many as possbile primarily. 2 x CBs are the priority for me. 

Agree about the overriding priority in the middle, and I would certainly consider Clyne at 29 - a year older than Cedric, but a better all round player IMO.  Lallana a no from me, 32 now and just too much previous to return successfully - West Ham on £80k a week most likely.  In many ways it would be good to bring some experience and character into this side alongside prospects, might address the nerves and ability to self-harm, Ralph must know candidates from the Bundesliga. 

I’d fucking love it if Saints just went out and bought someone’s first team keeper, someone with a decent reputation, not some bench warmer or flappy handed addition to our current crop of under achievers.

Anyone know of any teams with a solid first choice that we could realistically get?

11 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I’d fucking love it if Saints just went out and bought someone’s first team keeper, someone with a decent reputation, not some bench warmer or flappy handed addition to our current crop of under achievers.

Anyone know of any teams with a solid first choice that we could realistically get?

Can't think of one from the EPL, in previous years the bottom 3  might have been a recruiting ground but nothing special there, although the Bournemouth young keeper has ahd some good reviews.

Championship ? Bentley at Bristol City was considered a decent prospect a few years ago, no idea if he's living up to that. Has Butland recovered from his wobble now ? Not sure he's an improvement on Gunn.

Hope Ralph can raid the Bundesliga.

Irrespective of where a new GK might be recruited from, a bigger challenge might be offloading one of the current ones.

Edited by Badger

56 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Celtic.

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Predrag Rajković from Reims

Why the hell I am seing reports of us willing to loan Elyounoussi, Lemina and Forster again?

it doesn t make sense we need the salaries off our books, just at a lower price. It is better for the long term. 
The longer they stay here the less value they will have And we will still be covering part of their salary as teams won t be paying 100%

Am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Why the hell I am seing reports of us willing to loan Elyounoussi, Lemina and Forster again?

it doesn t make sense we need the salaries off our books, just at a lower price. It is better for the long term. 
The longer they stay here the less value they will have And we will still be covering part of their salary as teams won t be paying 100%

Am I missing something?

Yes no one wants to buy and pay them what we do

Likely scenario, IMO:

Carillo - loan til ens of his contract in 2021

Lemina - two more years of loan til his contract ends in 2022

Hoedt - as above

Elyounoussi - 3 more years on loan til his contract ends in 2023

Forster - loan most likely for two more years til end of contract.

Vestergaard - probably a loan as well

Boufal - will probably sell to any bidder to avoid losing him on a free next summer.

At least we can sell Adams most likely, but the above shows what a shitshow our recruitment has been.

37 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Am I missing something?

Yes. You're not in the real world. No-one wants to buy them and match their salaries. Therefore their best option is to stay. Do you seriously think you can make them leave?

30 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Gunn signed for us off the back of a good season for Norwich, shame he didn't work out. 

Raya at Brentford looks quite good.

I think the Brentford DoF, and Head of Recruitment have regualrly been mentioned on here in the past when speculating as to where we should be looking. They've done a cracking job on limited resources for a few seasons now. 

If their HoR was the one we were wating for previously ('won't be appointed until the summer as at another club') then you wonder if it would now happen at all, if Brentford go up.

13 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Yes. You're not in the real world. No-one wants to buy them and match their salaries. Therefore their best option is to stay. Do you seriously think you can make them leave?

If you accept lower fees then our asking price, of course we can make them leave.

2 summers ago and last summer we were playing hard ball With our asking Price and then when there was no other choice we loaned him in the last days of the transfer window.

We signed him for 20 million and Didn t want to make too much of a loss thinking his value would maybe increase as he would do well in his loan spell.

we should have just swallowed our pride and accepted a lower, it would have made more financial sense.

As for Lemina, he has had a good season in Turkey, there will be plenty of suitors for him on permanent deal.

loaning them now and not waiting how the market will be is ridiculous, it has hardly got going yet.

there will be some player movement later on.

Am i in the real world

40 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

If you accept lower fees then our asking price, of course we can make them leave.

2 summers ago and last summer we were playing hard ball With our asking Price and then when there was no other choice we loaned him in the last days of the transfer window.

We signed him for 20 million and Didn t want to make too much of a loss thinking his value would maybe increase as he would do well in his loan spell.

we should have just swallowed our pride and accepted a lower, it would have made more financial sense.

As for Lemina, he has had a good season in Turkey, there will be plenty of suitors for him on permanent deal.

loaning them now and not waiting how the market will be is ridiculous, it has hardly got going yet.

there will be some player movement later on.

Am i in the real world

If there are "plenty of suitors" then we would be able to sell for the fee we need and they'd take his contract and salary on. Job done.

But there isn't. Just clubs who could do a deal on loan while we have to cover some of his contract. This is because other clubs aren't mental and/or don't have Premier League budgets.

We've lumbered ourselves, as plenty of Premier League clubs do with players that don't work out.