Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Ampadu? Can play at the back and in midfield. Impressed for Leipzig tonight but not been a regular all season. We could be the ideal club for him to get plenty of game time and experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d drive him here myself

We need a centre half that wins headers I know he isn’t highly regarded but when Otamendi battered Antonio in the air last night it’s exactly what we lack.

Not saying we should go for him just that’s the sort we need .

Overly simplistic IMO. We signed Vestergaard because he won headers in Germany.

He wins headers in the PL also, very well according to the stats.

Personally think mobility and technical ability is equally important.

Does he you are watching a different player than I am then if he wins headed he can’t jump.

Agree with rest

I’ll ignore the computer stat man the point was players like Antonio/Wood physical type we are ill equipped to deal with. Watch the home game against West Ham we were scared to compete.

We need someone in squad that can we don’t have one currently with attributes we have covered

Vestergaard wins on average 3.4 aerial duels per game

Bednarek = 2.9

Stephens = 2.1

Yoshida = 1.8

I would say he wins more headers because of our style of play not his heading ability.

I would guess Stephens with his forward runs is always more advanced than Jan and when our forwards press and they hoof it long Jan is in prime position to head it as the CB further back and he has better sight of the ball.

I would say he wins more headers because of our style of play not his heading ability.

I would guess Stephens with his forward runs is always more advanced than Jan and when our forwards press and they hoof it long Jan is in prime position to head it as the CB further back and he has better sight of the ball.

I remember the shock when he scored v United it’s the first time he got off the floor.

Anyway before I get accused of witch hunt and scapegoat him the thread is Summer transfer window and my point stands we don’t have a defender capable of dealing with physical forwards.

2 links.... one from the championship, the other from league 1. That’s our level now I guess.

Yeah, we're not exactly signing the Scottish Premier/Eredivisie player of the year, as we did with VVD/Tadic these days, but I guess it doesn't matter what level the come from, only the level they play at when they get here. Chamberlain was League 1 and if we sign Jude Bellingham from Brum this summer, that would be fine by me. We won't though, will we.

We really don't have the worst keeper in the league. Yes he made a mistake today, but he's no way the worst, did you see West Ham's keeper against Liverpool? And besides, we have an England keeper out on loan who we can restart next season.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Priorities:

1. Keeper

2. CB

3. RB

4. CM

5. Forward

6. Winger

We won't sign 6 but hopefully we can get 2 or 3 of those sorted and improve. Stephens is bang average yet has become our best CB by miles. That's a sign of how poor we've been. We have the worst keeper in the league. We don't know who our RB is, KWP looks lightweight and we struggle with that anyway. Romeu can't get in an average midfield so best he goes. Hojbjerg is hit and miss so sign a new contract or leave and find a better partner for JWP. Boufal just disappears too often so get rid and focus on Djenepo, Redmond, Armstrong. We could do with one more in those positions but doubt we'll have the money.

So replacing 6 out of 11 players is a priority. :lol:

Brilliant, it’s almost like we didn’t need to bother this January.

So replacing 6 out of 11 players is a priority. :lol:

Brilliant, it’s almost like we didn’t need to bother this January.

And who was actually available in January and not at an inflated price? The window is now a non entity, clubs arent willing to sell unless they can get a replacement and they arent willing to pay over the odds. The only players who moved in the window who were realistic options were Berge (would have given us a good CM option) and Bowen (not a priority given our options)

And who was actually available in January and not at an inflated price? The window is now a non entity, clubs arent willing to sell unless they can get a replacement and they arent willing to pay over the odds. The only players who moved in the window who were realistic options were Berge (would have given us a good CM option) and Bowen (not a priority given our options)

Adrian is one of the best posters in here. He is the morrisey of mongboards. A massively negative overtone dressed up in a veil of false positivity. Adrian has for years preached the message of all is well and nothing a good bit of coaching can’t sort out, now claims it’s a priority to replace over half the team in one transfer window, it’s an utterly genius lyric,‘just like some of morriseys.

so, to re-cap...

we will need...

1x CB

1x LB

1x RB

1x CM

1x CM (if Hoj leaves)

1x ST

1x Wide player (if Boufal leaves)

yep, never ever going to happen.

I suspect Long is being seen as the striker and Smallbone as a CM. We might also make do with Moi as the forth choice wide player.

Not exactly inspiring but if that allows us to bring in some decent defenders, it's better than nothing.

It’s vital we find a central midfielder who is physically strong with pace, the player Lemina was supposed to of been.

If we needed that type 2 years ago then we sure as hell need it now.

Add the same at centre half and others can follow depending on who leaves/ sold.

News just in that Victor Wanyama has signed for, er, Montreal Impact. Which I believe is some kind of deodorant.

I’m genuinely 90% sure they’re a paintball team.

Edit: having checked, it’s actually Edmonton.

Edited by Lighthouse

I suspect Long is being seen as the striker and Smallbone as a CM. We might also make do with Moi as the forth choice wide player.

Not exactly inspiring but if that allows us to bring in some decent defenders, it's better than nothing.

Yep. Lb, rb, cb and possibly a cm will be our lot.

Hojbjerg and Bertrand. Ings if the offer is big enough

You’d hope there would at least be wages available. Yoshida, Cédric, Clasie and Austin all of the wage bill, plus Hoj and Bertrand if they do indeed leave.

Can’t see Ings leaving. He’s having a decent season but I can’t see anyone coming in with the huge offer it would take to let him go.

As always, this thread has started early with a mixture of wild ambition, optimism, pessimism and desperate angst about the state of the team/club/finances/manager.

I think we face an extremely difficult summer, with several problems.

Firstly, we still have the likes of Hoedt, Forster, Elyounoussi, Lemina and Carillo on the books earning silly money with years left on their contracts and no great appeal to buyers. I'll be surprised if we move more than one or two of those out (even on frees), at best, and possibly none. Forster to Celtic is perhaps possible, except that gone are the days when players would take pay cuts to get game time and Celtic won't pay him what he's on with Saints. Even if he went on a free, the savings on transfer fee to a buying club would only pay him for a couple of years. He can earn more doing nothing at Saints. Much the same applies to the others in this category. Even if anyone wants them, they won't pay either a transfer fee or enough in wages. So the best we can hope for is more loans with a small percentage of wages saved. I can't see any of those accepting a pay cut to be in a position where they're playing. So that's a pretty big millstone still round the club's neck.

Then we have our successes this season. I'm hoping for us to stay up, but without a strong finish drawing the attention of "top" clubs. I would put Stephens, McCarthy, JWP, Redmond and Ings in a list of players other clubs might want. And make offers for that I wouldn't trust our owners to turn down. And if any of those do go, it'll be very difficult to get replacements of equal or higher standard.

That is because of the third problem, which is lack of money, both because we're paying out so much on dead contracts and our owners doesn't seems to have a potbto p!as in when it comes to actually putting funds in.

Hojbjerg, Long and Cedric are out of contract. Looks like Long will stay on, Cedric's definitely off and who knows with Hojbjerg? If he does go, although I know some on here don't rate him, we won't be buying a big money upgrade and maybe none, hoping Romeu and Smallbone can do a job.

I think this summer will also see the likes of Sims, Hesketh, McQueen and several more written off with us taking anything we can get.

I hate to be pessimistic, and hope I'm wrong, but I'll be very surprised if we start next season with a stronger squad than we now have. I'm sure that won't stop page after page of incredible speculation devoid of realism[emoji2957][emoji849]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As always, this thread has started early with a mixture of wild ambition, optimism, pessimism and desperate angst about the state of the team/club/finances/manager.

I think we face an extremely difficult summer, with several problems.

Firstly, we still have the likes of Hoedt, Forster, Elyounoussi, Lemina and Carillo on the books earning silly money with years left on their contracts and no great appeal to buyers. I'll be surprised if we move more than one or two of those out (even on frees), at best, and possibly none. Forster to Celtic is perhaps possible, except that gone are the days when players would take pay cuts to get game time and Celtic won't pay him what he's on with Saints. Even if he went on a free, the savings on transfer fee to a buying club would only pay him for a couple of years. He can earn more doing nothing at Saints. Much the same applies to the others in this category. Even if anyone wants them, they won't pay either a transfer fee or enough in wages. So the best we can hope for is more loans with a small percentage of wages saved. I can't see any of those accepting a pay cut to be in a position where they're playing. So that's a pretty big millstone still round the club's neck.

Then we have our successes this season. I'm hoping for us to stay up, but without a strong finish drawing the attention of "top" clubs. I would put Stephens, McCarthy, JWP, Redmond and Ings in a list of players other clubs might want. And make offers for that I wouldn't trust our owners to turn down. And if any of those do go, it'll be very difficult to get replacements of equal or higher standard.

That is because of the third problem, which is lack of money, both because we're paying out so much on dead contracts and our owners doesn't seems to have a potbto p!as in when it comes to actually putting funds in.

Hojbjerg, Long and Cedric are out of contract. Looks like Long will stay on, Cedric's definitely off and who knows with Hojbjerg? If he does go, although I know some on here don't rate him, we won't be buying a big money upgrade and maybe none, hoping Romeu and Smallbone can do a job.

I think this summer will also see the likes of Sims, Hesketh, McQueen and several more written off with us taking anything we can get.

I hate to be pessimistic, and hope I'm wrong, but I'll be very surprised if we start next season with a stronger squad than we now have. I'm sure that won't stop page after page of incredible speculation devoid of realism[emoji2957][emoji849]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hassenhuttl has been here 3 transfer windows and only been able to sign 2 permanent players which have been funded by sales, so i'm not expecting any that to change. I'd be surprised if we got 50% of what we paid for Lemina, Carillo, Elyanoussi and co and despite the fact we've trimmed £400k a week of the wage bill in the last three windows we don't seem willing to use any of that to improve the squad. Im expecting maybe two or three young players from the championship or minor European leagues if we can shift anyone on but think it'll be another disappointing transfer window with the club spin after failing to land a number of targets being that we have plenty of cover, a lot of young players knocking on the door and the pathway to the first team is our DNA etc which fans will lap up and again point to several bad signings 2 years ago as reason why we cant bring anyone in now and of course those agents fees and bonuses.

Hassenhuttl has been here 3 transfer windows and only been able to sign 2 permanent players which have been funded by sales, so i'm not expecting any that to change. I'd be surprised if we got 50% of what we paid for Lemina, Carillo, Elyanoussi and co and despite the fact we've trimmed £400k a week of the wage bill in the last three windows we don't seem willing to use any of that to improve the squad. Im expecting maybe two or three young players from the championship or minor European leagues if we can shift anyone on but think it'll be another disappointing transfer window with the club spin after failing to land a number of targets being that we have plenty of cover, a lot of young players knocking on the door and the pathway to the first team is our DNA etc which fans will lap up and again point to several bad signings 2 years ago as reason why we cant bring anyone in now and of course those agents fees and bonuses.

This.

But remember, we are the only club in existence to have to pay NI contributions, so there goes the 2020 summer budget.

so, at least half a new team needed....

seeing as we have only signed two players on permanent deals in the last 3 window's.....

my spider senses are telling me many of us here will be disappointed, whilst others will champion the frugal approach

Lets recap...we need to bring in the following during the summer window (as we have kept out powder dry Jan just gone - for some insane reason)...

1x RB

1x LB

1x CB

1x CM

1x ST

1x LB (if Bertrand leaves)

1x CM (if Hoj leaves)

1x FW (if Boufal leaves)

Never ever going to happen, not when we have only brought in 2 players on permanent deals in the last 3 windows.

Edited by Batman

Relying on youth it is then - Valery and Ramsey as right backs, Vokins at left back, Jones and Klarer coming in to Centre Back, Reed back with Smallbone in central midfield, Tyreke Johnson, Sims and Tella in attacking midfield, and N'Lundulu and Obafemi in attack. What could go wrong!

Seriously with the uncertainty over the Premier League, I hope the delays find us time to find a buyer, or we really will be in big trouble. I can only see us selling the big assets like JWP and Ings, and maybe Redmond, Bertrand and Hojbjerg and rebuilding from the funds with cheap players. What do we reckon we'd get? JWP and Ings should fetch around £60-70 million I reckon in today's market, and the other three maybe £50 million combined IMO. I can see us shopping in the £5 to £10 million market if we don't get investment.