Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer 2020 transfer business

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Hojbjerg and Bertrand. Ings if the offer is big enough
    You’d hope there would at least be wages available. Yoshida, Cédric, Clasie and Austin all of the wage bill, plus Hoj and Bertrand if they do indeed leave.

Can’t see Ings leaving. He’s having a decent season but I can’t see anyone coming in with the huge offer it would take to let him go.

Hojbjerg and Bertrand. Ings if the offer is big enough
    Don’t forget we can only spend about 70% of what we sell players for as we also have to pay agents fees and bonuses.

As always, this thread has started early with a mixture of wild ambition, optimism, pessimism and desperate angst about the state of the team/club/finances/manager.

I think we face an extremely difficult summer, with several problems.

Firstly, we still have the likes of Hoedt, Forster, Elyounoussi, Lemina and Carillo on the books earning silly money with years left on their contracts and no great appeal to buyers. I'll be surprised if we move more than one or two of those out (even on frees), at best, and possibly none. Forster to Celtic is perhaps possible, except that gone are the days when players would take pay cuts to get game time and Celtic won't pay him what he's on with Saints. Even if he went on a free, the savings on transfer fee to a buying club would only pay him for a couple of years. He can earn more doing nothing at Saints. Much the same applies to the others in this category. Even if anyone wants them, they won't pay either a transfer fee or enough in wages. So the best we can hope for is more loans with a small percentage of wages saved. I can't see any of those accepting a pay cut to be in a position where they're playing. So that's a pretty big millstone still round the club's neck.

Then we have our successes this season. I'm hoping for us to stay up, but without a strong finish drawing the attention of "top" clubs. I would put Stephens, McCarthy, JWP, Redmond and Ings in a list of players other clubs might want. And make offers for that I wouldn't trust our owners to turn down. And if any of those do go, it'll be very difficult to get replacements of equal or higher standard.

That is because of the third problem, which is lack of money, both because we're paying out so much on dead contracts and our owners doesn't seems to have a potbto p!as in when it comes to actually putting funds in.

Hojbjerg, Long and Cedric are out of contract. Looks like Long will stay on, Cedric's definitely off and who knows with Hojbjerg? If he does go, although I know some on here don't rate him, we won't be buying a big money upgrade and maybe none, hoping Romeu and Smallbone can do a job.

I think this summer will also see the likes of Sims, Hesketh, McQueen and several more written off with us taking anything we can get.

I hate to be pessimistic, and hope I'm wrong, but I'll be very surprised if we start next season with a stronger squad than we now have. I'm sure that won't stop page after page of incredible speculation devoid of realism

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I've got to the stage of being pessimist before and during the transfer window and being wildly optimistic once we sign someone that he is going to be a world beater.

I'm better off turning off the internet for a bit.

I do like the awesome rumours though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    As always, this thread has started early with a mixture of wild ambition, optimism, pessimism and desperate angst about the state of the team/club/finances/manager.

I think we face an extremely difficult summer, with several problems.

Firstly, we still have the likes of Hoedt, Forster, Elyounoussi, Lemina and Carillo on the books earning silly money with years left on their contracts and no great appeal to buyers. I'll be surprised if we move more than one or two of those out (even on frees), at best, and possibly none. Forster to Celtic is perhaps possible, except that gone are the days when players would take pay cuts to get game time and Celtic won't pay him what he's on with Saints. Even if he went on a free, the savings on transfer fee to a buying club would only pay him for a couple of years. He can earn more doing nothing at Saints. Much the same applies to the others in this category. Even if anyone wants them, they won't pay either a transfer fee or enough in wages. So the best we can hope for is more loans with a small percentage of wages saved. I can't see any of those accepting a pay cut to be in a position where they're playing. So that's a pretty big millstone still round the club's neck.

Then we have our successes this season. I'm hoping for us to stay up, but without a strong finish drawing the attention of "top" clubs. I would put Stephens, McCarthy, JWP, Redmond and Ings in a list of players other clubs might want. And make offers for that I wouldn't trust our owners to turn down. And if any of those do go, it'll be very difficult to get replacements of equal or higher standard.

That is because of the third problem, which is lack of money, both because we're paying out so much on dead contracts and our owners doesn't seems to have a potbto p!as in when it comes to actually putting funds in.

Hojbjerg, Long and Cedric are out of contract. Looks like Long will stay on, Cedric's definitely off and who knows with Hojbjerg? If he does go, although I know some on here don't rate him, we won't be buying a big money upgrade and maybe none, hoping Romeu and Smallbone can do a job.

I think this summer will also see the likes of Sims, Hesketh, McQueen and several more written off with us taking anything we can get.

I hate to be pessimistic, and hope I'm wrong, but I'll be very surprised if we start next season with a stronger squad than we now have. I'm sure that won't stop page after page of incredible speculation devoid of realism

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Hassenhuttl has been here 3 transfer windows and only been able to sign 2 permanent players which have been funded by sales, so i'm not expecting any that to change. I'd be surprised if we got 50% of what we paid for Lemina, Carillo, Elyanoussi and co and despite the fact we've trimmed £400k a week of the wage bill in the last three windows we don't seem willing to use any of that to improve the squad. Im expecting maybe two or three young players from the championship or minor European leagues if we can shift anyone on but think it'll be another disappointing transfer window with the club spin after failing to land a number of targets being that we have plenty of cover, a lot of young players knocking on the door and the pathway to the first team is our DNA etc which fans will lap up and again point to several bad signings 2 years ago as reason why we cant bring anyone in now and of course those agents fees and bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Hassenhuttl has been here 3 transfer windows and only been able to sign 2 permanent players which have been funded by sales, so i'm not expecting any that to change. I'd be surprised if we got 50% of what we paid for Lemina, Carillo, Elyanoussi and co and despite the fact we've trimmed £400k a week of the wage bill in the last three windows we don't seem willing to use any of that to improve the squad. Im expecting maybe two or three young players from the championship or minor European leagues if we can shift anyone on but think it'll be another disappointing transfer window with the club spin after failing to land a number of targets being that we have plenty of cover, a lot of young players knocking on the door and the pathway to the first team is our DNA etc which fans will lap up and again point to several bad signings 2 years ago as reason why we cant bring anyone in now and of course those agents fees and bonuses.
    This.

But remember, we are the only club in existence to have to pay NI contributions, so there goes the 2020 summer budget.

So who would you ditch in the summer. There's a lot of them.

Definitely keep:

Ings, Adams, JWP, Armstrong, Redmond, Stephens, Bednarek, Djenepo, Valery, Smallbone.

Sell:

Boufal (it's just not going to work)
    Romeu (needs a new start)
    Long (lots to like about him but with some more time Adams can be a far more useful striker).
    Hojbjerg (tough one but just don't think he's as good as he thinks and we can get a better partner for JWP).
    Bertrand (great servant but not entirely sure he's happy here and past his best)
    Vestergaard (he's terrible)

Loan:

Obafemi (not ready for many starts, needs to play 30+ to develop)
    Gunn (needs a full season and just isn't there yet for us, we need far stronger competition for Mccarthy, ideally a new no 1).
    Vokins (Not ready but decent potential. Season in the championship would do him the world of good).

So overall we need a lot of signings don't we.

Obviously also all on loan, Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina.

With all those sales we could actually bring in enough to give all the fans a free pint again.

so, at least half a new team needed....

seeing as we have only signed two players on permanent deals in the last 3 window's.....
    my spider senses are telling me many of us here will be disappointed, whilst others will champion the frugal approach

The Les Reed appreciation thread is still open

The ones criticising him and predicting this very day - locked

Lets recap...we need to bring in the following during the summer window (as we have kept out powder dry Jan just gone - for some insane reason)...

1x RB
    1x LB
    1x CB
    1x CM
    1x ST

1x LB (if Bertrand leaves)
    1x CM (if Hoj leaves)
    1x FW (if Boufal leaves)

Never ever going to happen, not when we have only brought in 2 players on permanent deals in the last 3 windows.
    Last edited by Batman; 07-03-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Kristoffer Ajer “to leave Celtic in the summer”

Personally, think he’d be great for us if we could get a deal regarding Fraser or Ely..

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...box=1584004870

Can I be the first to say..... seems we have no $$$$.

Not a pot to **** in.

Skint.

Doubt we'll be breaking our transfer record this summer!

No money left to even buy anymore bad players,the full circle is nearly complete.

Relying on youth it is then - Valery and Ramsey as right backs, Vokins at left back, Jones and Klarer coming in to Centre Back, Reed back with Smallbone in central midfield, Tyreke Johnson, Sims and Tella in attacking midfield, and N'Lundulu and Obafemi in attack. What could go wrong!

Seriously with the uncertainty over the Premier League, I hope the delays find us time to find a buyer, or we really will be in big trouble. I can only see us selling the big assets like JWP and Ings, and maybe Redmond, Bertrand and Hojbjerg and rebuilding from the funds with cheap players. What do we reckon we'd get? JWP and Ings should fetch around £60-70 million I reckon in today's market, and the other three maybe £50 million combined IMO. I can see us shopping in the £5 to £10 million market if we don't get investment.

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Relying on youth it is then - Valery and Ramsey as right backs, Vokins at left back, Jones and Klarer coming in to Centre Back, Reed back with Smallbone in central midfield, Tyreke Johnson, Sims and Tella in attacking midfield, and N'Lundulu and Obafemi in attack. What could go wrong!

Seriously with the uncertainty over the Premier League, I hope the delays find us time to find a buyer, or we really will be in big trouble. I can only see us selling the big assets like JWP and Ings, and maybe Redmond, Bertrand and Hojbjerg and rebuilding from the funds with cheap players. What do we reckon we'd get? JWP and Ings should fetch around £60-70 million I reckon in today's market, and the other three maybe £50 million combined IMO. I can see us shopping in the £5 to £10 million market if we don't get investment.
    Wildly undervaluing a few players there. Redmond will be 60m+ Hoj will be 35m or more if he signs a new contract. Ings will be 50-60m too considering players like Haller and Joelinton went for 40m. Jwp again 50m+.

Also, maybe I'm being a little optimistic but I doubt the club will sell big names when looking to sell the club. We need to be seen as valuable and sustainable to find a buyer. May even be a statement signing or two like how Ashley brought in Almiron when trying to secure a sale.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TWar View Post
    Wildly undervaluing a few players there. Redmond will be 60m+ Hoj will be 35m or more if he signs a new contract. Ings will be 50-60m too considering players like Haller and Joelinton went for 40m. Jwp again 50m+.

Also, maybe I'm being a little optimistic but I doubt the club will sell big names when looking to sell the club. We need to be seen as valuable and sustainable to find a buyer. May even be a statement signing or two like how Ashley brought in Almiron when trying to secure a sale.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
    Lol. No chance is redmond 60 million. Laughable.

Definitely £40m +.

Rubbish, he's young, he's english, he's a consistently high performer who is clearly key to the way we play. Why some of our fans don't rate him I will never know.

Blog Entries

Rubbish, he's young, he's english, he's a consistently high performer who is clearly key to the way we play. Why some of our fans don't rate him I will never know.
    Who said I didn't rate him? He just very obviously isn't worth 60 million plus. No one would pay that, you're insane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Definitely £40m +.
    Yes that seems more reasonable.

Who said I didn't rate him? He just very obviously isn't worth 60 million plus. No one would pay that, you're insane.
    Last season he got 10 g+a in the league. That's more than Dele Alli, one less than Martial, more than Willian ect. Three years ago when the market was inflated far less than it is now Richarlison went for 50m having only scored 9 g+a. Look what 20/30m gets you nowadays, Almiron (2 goals 0 assists in well over a year), Bernard (4 goals 5 assist in 2 seasons), Walcott (6 goals 4 assists in two seasons). This is the market now people like Anderson who cant get off the bench for West Ham went for 42m. And, again, Redmond is english, we know this adds atleast 20% to a transfer fee, it's why such stupid money was offered for Callum Wilson last year.

Last season he got 10 g+a in the league. That's more than Dele Alli, one less than Martial, more than Willian ect. Three years ago when the market was inflated far less than it is now Richarlison went for 50m having only scored 9 g+a. Look what 20/30m gets you nowadays, Almiron (2 goals 0 assists in well over a year), Bernard (4 goals 5 assist in 2 seasons), Walcott (6 goals 4 assists in two seasons). This is the market now people like Anderson who cant get off the bench for West Ham went for 42m. And, again, Redmond is english, we know this adds atleast 20% to a transfer fee, it's why such stupid money was offered for Callum Wilson last year.
    for someone to pay £60m for redmond, you would need one of Europe's elite clubs to buy him. That ain't happening

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    for someone to pay £60m for redmond, you would need one of Europe's elite clubs to buy him. That ain't happening
    A team like spurs could easily drop 60m on him. If West Ham survive they could also if they weren't so stacked in that position. Everton aren't far off a 60m player either I wouldn't imagine.

A team like spurs could easily drop 60m on him. If West Ham survive they could also if they weren't so stacked in that position. Everton aren't far off a 60m player either I wouldn't imagine.
    they could But they wont

Blog Entries

This isn't fantasy football. A team like West ham would never buy redmond for 60 million plus. Ever.

Redmond is getting better and better the longer he’s injured

averages around 4 goals and 2 assists each season and perked up briefly before his new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Redmond is getting better and better the longer he’s injured

averages around 4 goals and 2 assists each season and perked up briefly before his new contract.

Never before has a player become a £60m+ superstar whilst injured. He's decent and a big part of our team but a bit of perspective is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Never before has a player become a £60m+ superstar whilst injured. He's decent and a big part of our team but a bit of perspective is needed.
    we do this on here.

a players value and ability can absolutely plummet or go sky high based on teams results while they are injured.

While Redmond was here for our short purple patch, he’s also been almost ever present over our 4 year footballing decline.

Everton paid £34m for Alex Iwobi.

They'd drop £45m+ on an actual first team player easily.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Everton paid £34m for Alex Iwobi.

They'd drop £45m+ on an actual first team player easily.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    They spent 50m on Richarlison and 40m on Sigurðsson

I think they can and will spend 60m on a player soon enough - but it won't be for Redmond

I would be surprised to see even one new player come in this summer. No money to invest, too many sub-standard players not getting a game, club in debt....it’s a recipe for relegation unless Ralph works miracles...again.

34. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Fan CaM View Post
    I would be surprised to see even one new player come in this summer. No money to invest, too many sub-standard players not getting a game, club in debt....it’s a recipe for relegation unless Ralph works miracles...again.
    To be honest mate I would be surprised to see any club make any signings. Not sure how governing bodies can open the transfer window when the season won't have ended yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    To be honest mate I would be surprised to see any club make any signings. Not sure how governing bodies can open the transfer window when the season won't have ended yet.
    They opened it in January when the season hadn't ended. Player contracts end on 30th June in Europe, plus season long loans end so something will need to change if the 2019/20 season is played beyond that date.

36. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    They opened it in January when the season hadn't ended. Player contracts end on 30th June in Europe, plus season long loans end so something will need to change if the 2019/20 season is played beyond that date.
    Clubs won't sign players and pay their wages if there's a chance next season won't be played.

Clubs won't sign players and pay their wages if there's a chance next season won't be played.

I wonder if that will give clubs more leverage with regards contracts that are coming towards their conclusion.....

38. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SW5 SAINT View Post
    I wonder if that will give clubs more leverage with regards contracts that are coming towards their conclusion.....
    I think you'll certainly see players that otherwise would have gone on a free agreeing to a year extension on the same terms, or even reduced in some cases. For once the club's hold the power as otherwise players will go without pay for a year.
    Could benefit us long term if the season is cancelled and the Prem pays out compensation to clubs, deadwood one year closer to release with their wages partly covered etc.

On the flip side might be a few bargains available with clubs wanting to move players on that wouldn't be playing anyway.

I think you'll certainly see players that otherwise would have gone on a free agreeing to a year extension on the same terms, or even reduced in some cases. For once the club's hold the power as otherwise players will go without pay for a year.
    Could benefit us long term if the season is cancelled and the Prem pays out compensation to clubs, deadwood one year closer to release with their wages partly covered etc.

Why would they do that if the season is cancelled for reasons completely outside their control ?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Why would they do that if the season is cancelled for reasons completely outside their control ?
    To prevent a shitload of them going into administration, maybe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    To prevent a shitload of them going into administration, maybe.
    I don't think there's any danger with the prem clubs. It's the lower league ones I'd worry about.

He's not worth £60m but I don't think we'd let him go for less. Same with Maguire - no way he's worth £80m objectively, but United wanted him and Leicester weren't prepared to sell him for less. Doesn't mean he's now better than VvD, Pique etc. because he cost more, but that was the value Leicester placed on him.

I don't think there's any danger with the prem clubs. It's the lower league ones I'd worry about.
    Agreed the lower league ones are in bigger danger. But most premier clubs have massive wage bills (ours is £75 million I think). If there is no PL money for a year how do those clubs pay their players?

We never did get to that magical 36 point contract renewal stage that Ralph mentioned.

Does this mean Shane Long won't get offered one now? Joking aside there will be a whole load of players who might find they get offered substantially lower terms because clubs will be trying to save costs after losing out on cash.

Big clubs usually go for players that have one (or if they're lucky, more) outstanding qualities, and unfortunately Redmond doesn't have any. He's a bit above average in most characteristics, but doesn't index enough beyond that for the biggies to take notice.

I think there will be very little transfer activity across the board this summer. Sadly, anyone who thinks next season won't be as affected - and probably more affected - by coronavirus than this season is dreaming, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopSaint View Post
    I think there will be very little transfer activity across the board this summer. Sadly, anyone who thinks next season won't be as affected - and probably more affected - by coronavirus than this season is dreaming, I'm afraid.
    I do wonder if this season will simply take two seasons to complete. All sorts of issues with that, and god knows how many clubs lower down the pyramid would survive, but this doesn't look like getting any better before the start of next season in August, does it?

Blog Entries

We are going to have a terrible summer. We're already in financial turmoil and lost money from match day tickets and sales due to corona. Not to mention that the Premier League monies for TV appearances will be in jeopardy if the season doesn't finish, or the fact that the club is now running with greatly reduced income at time when it isn't budgeted.

Plus ofc, we have the wrong first team players on short contract expries, and Les Read's golden spunk generation of players inflated wages and long contracts.

Why anyone would have any enthusiasm about this summer is beyond me. Outside of hoping we get taken over by Red bull!!

Sorry to be negative, sign of the times. Feel free to cheer me up

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    We are going to have a terrible summer. We're already in financial turmoil and lost money from match day tickets and sales due to corona. Not to mention that the Premier League monies for TV appearances will be in jeopardy if the season doesn't finish, or the fact that the club is now running with greatly reduced income at time when it isn't budgeted.

Plus ofc, we have the wrong first team players on short contract expries, and Les Read's golden spunk generation of players inflated wages and long contracts.

Why anyone would have any enthusiasm about this summer is beyond me. Outside of hoping we get taken over by Red bull!!

Sorry to be negative, sign of the times. Feel free to cheer me up
    Most clubs, if not every club, will be feeling the same hit. The transfer market, if it ever 'happens', will be a non-event this year.