Maya Yoshida - Loaned to Sampdoria

DuncanRG

Seeing the video on Saints twitter was a nice watch, he's not always been without fault but there is no doubting Yoshida's professionalism and dedication over his time at the club. Sensibly I think we all knew he was likely to move on so it's understandable all around but still tinged with sadness.

Best of luck Maya, as per twitter a saint forever.

Sad to see Yoshida go. Of the many loyal land very useful Saints players who probably spent more time on the bench than on the pitch, for me he ranks highly. Maya, I'm sorry we possibly won't see you playing for us again - unless called for in an emergency - but I would love to see you on the last day or the season with the rest of the squad, parading around the ground so that we can say thank you. Thanks for the blocks in front of goal and thanks for some important goals. Good luck for the rest of your career, mate.

This.

Sad to see Yoshida go. Of the many loyal land very useful Saints players who probably spent more time on the bench than on the pitch, for me he ranks highly. Maya, I'm sorry we possibly won't see you playing for us again - unless called for in an emergency - but I would love to see you on the last day or the season with the rest of the squad, parading around the ground so that we can say thank you. Thanks for the blocks in front of goal and thanks for some important goals. Good luck for the rest of your career, mate.
This.

and Danso is staying? They rated Danso at CB over Yoshida? Interesting.

I applaud you eelpie. Brilliantly put.

This[emoji31][emoji106]

I'm in eelpie's boat. Sad to see Maya go, thanks for the memories, wish him all the best for the future.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

This.

and Danso is staying? They rated Danso at CB over Yoshida? Interesting.

Try looking at it realistically. Maya is 4th choice. He's out of contract in the summer and won't get another one.

In my opinion, he's been a brilliant servant to the club and has my total respect. I thank him for the great things he's done for Saints and wish him well. This move gives him a chance to have one more episode in his career.

But for the rest of this season, if we need to call on a 4th choice, this means we can assess Danso in his proper position. Otherwise he'll sit on the bench and we'll never find out how good or bad he is. And hopefully, in a few games time, we'll be safe enough to give him game time if we want to.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well I liked Yoshida. Even though there was a mistake in him he was a model professional, worked his socks off, great ethic, good servant to the community and representative of the club...and he was a solid CB with a goal threat for headers too. Captain of his country for 100 caps. Class act. The kind of player we need more of not less of.

Best of luck Yoshi and thank you.

Absolutely this. Well done Maya Yoshida; a much better player than many on here are claiming. Great Clubman too.

His dedication and professionalism meant he was always improving, and the fact he always gave it everything made him one of my favourite players.

He reached 100 international caps and was given the international captain’s armband thanks to his efforts here, and he truly earned them.

He’ll always be very welcome back at St Mary’s.

Exactly!!! Can't believe people are happy with stephens Bednarek and vestergaard as our only CBs!!!

I for one have never been happy with Stephens as 1st choice or otherwise.

As for Maya, good luck to him as he's been a decent pro for a long time.

But there's no point having five very average CBs when four very average CBs will do.

At his very best he was bang average. I'm not in the least bit sad to see him go except our penny pinching board have not replaced him with anyone better or worse.
What a ridiculous post.

You obviously never saw him at his best. Key part of our defence.

And, "sad that the penny-pinching board haven't replaced him with anyone worse" ??????

Brilliant and Ioyal servant to the club who made had some great games for us. That said, his best days are behind him and he wasn't getting any game time here and was unlikely to unless we had a couple of injuries or suspensions. With his contract up in the summer, it made sense to let him go. We have 4 CB's for 2 places so we'll be fine for the rest of the season.

At his very best he was bang average. I'm not in the least bit sad to see him go except our penny pinching board have not replaced him with anyone better or worse.

Given that you live in Bordeaux, I hope your judgement on wine is better than your assessment of Maya Y.

Deserved an opportunity to say goodbye.

Played in some of our finest recent teams, a key element of the sides that came 8th, 7th and 6th in consecutive seasons. The league cup final, the San Siro, unlikely yet occasionally excellent goals...... A tireless professional who deserves the greatest of respect.

Good luck Yoshi, may we have the chance to see you soon.

All of this.

Otsukaresama de****a, Yoshi!

He’s become a real symbol of how saints have declined in recent years.

Gone from being back up to Fonte and Van Dijk, to backup to Bednarek and Stephens.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but never been good enough.

Rather have yoshida than vestergard

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

What a ridiculous post.

You obviously never saw him at his best. Key part of our defence.

And, "sad that the penny-pinching board haven't replaced him with anyone worse" ??????

did he have a best?....like all our defence atm he was very prone to an error in a game just a matter of when.

I’ve always quite liked Sampdoria since the days of watching football Italia on channel 4 in the 90s, have been lucky enough to visit Genoa to see them play but hopefully the clubs have built a connection and part of the deal is we get to play them away pre-season.

I’ve always quite liked Sampdoria since the days of watching football Italia on channel 4 in the 90s, have been lucky enough to visit Genoa to see them play but hopefully the clubs have built a connection and part of the deal is we get to play them away pre-season.

That would be great for a pre season friendly. I too loved watching Sampdoria years ago with Mancini, Lombardo etc and have been to watch them many years ago. Interesting game with everyone standing on seats and smoking weed around me and a pre match pint of Tennants Super in the Ultra,s bar!

Technically a former saint in the winning defence too....