Maya Yoshida - Loaned to Sampdoria

DuncanRG

Seemed a nice guy, always put effort in, but ultimately was not a very good player, average at best.

Average at best, but still think he is one of our better, if not our best, current central defender. I really hope that Stephens' recent improvement is permanent rather than temporary...

Met him in hospitality after the Leicester game. He was the player with the courage and humility to say sorry. Shame it was his last Saints league game: I always felt he gave everything for the club.

All the best, Maya.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

People may see this as an unnecessary weakening of the squad, but let's be honest - he wasn't likely to feature much, if at all, between now and the end of the season when his contract is up anyway. To me it makes more sense to get some kind of fee and his wages off the books now than wait til July and get nothing for a player whose contribution is likely to have been close to zero in that time.

Anyway, despite his limitations, I did admire his professionalism. Seems he was a good character to have around and did lots of positive stuff for the community. As a player he was never more than adequate, and even that would take a long run of games to get to (which he certainly wasn't going to get this season), but I wish him well.

Arigato Yoshida-San.

This I was not expecting! Wow leaves us short at CB. Good luck to Maya... was never going to be the best centre back ever but a loyal servant and plugged gaps when needed. And he did improve as he aged. Sad about this one.

Surely someone else in?

Deserved an opportunity to say goodbye.

Played in some of our finest recent teams, a key element of the sides that came 8th, 7th and 6th in consecutive seasons. The league cup final, the San Siro, unlikely yet occasionally excellent goals...... A tireless professional who deserves the greatest of respect.

Good luck Yoshi, may we have the chance to see you soon.

Edited by Colinjb

He’s become a real symbol of how saints have declined in recent years.

Gone from being back up to Fonte and Van Dijk, to backup to Bednarek and Stephens.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but never been good enough.

Top servant, solid player. Brilliant alongside VVD and helped us after he left too. Several important goals, he'll be missed. Good luck to him

This. More or less.

I'm a big fan of his, and love what he did for us. The romantic in me wants him to stay and get a testimonial.

However he's down the pecking order now, and clearly not getting another deal, so best all round for him to move on.

Vestergaard comes in, like he did at palace in our last league game.

Yep and he could have a gifted them a goal and a lead. Palace fans on the way back from the game thought it would have been a very different contest if they had taken that chance.

Yep and he could have a gifted them a goal and a lead. Palace fans on the way back from the game thought it would have been a very different contest if they had taken that chance.

But he didn’t and was fine after that.

Well I liked Yoshida. Even though there was a mistake in him he was a model professional, worked his socks off, great ethic, good servant to the community and representative of the club...and he was a solid CB with a goal threat for headers too. Captain of his country for 100 caps. Class act. The kind of player we need more of not less of.

Best of luck Yoshi and thank you.

Looks like he's off to Sampdoria for the rest of his Saints contract. Gutted we won't get to say goodbye to one of the big characters of the 2010s for Saints.

Sad to see Yoshida go. Of the many loyal land very useful Saints players who probably spent more time on the bench than on the pitch, for me he ranks highly. Maya, I'm sorry we possibly won't see you playing for us again - unless called for in an emergency - but I would love to see you on the last day or the season with the rest of the squad, parading around the ground so that we can say thank you. Thanks for the blocks in front of goal and thanks for some important goals. Good luck for the rest of your career, mate.