Jacob Maddox on loan with view to permanent signing in summer

Matthew Le God

Presumably this is just u23 cover for Slattery, with a possibile perm deal of he looks good enough. Slattery needed games at a half decent level so this makes sense.

why would we need cover for someone in the U23s? not being flippant, just a bizarre move.

why would we need cover for someone in the U23s? not being flippant, just a bizarre move.

Slattery needed a loan to help him develop, and there's little other options in the u23 with Hamblin moving on. If the choice was to keep Slattery and hold him back, or let him go on loan but get cover from a lad on what is essentially a loan cum extended trial, I personally think we've made the right choice.

Think this might be a possible Hojberg replacement if he goes in the summer or an understudy to Armstrong perhaps as he looks more no.10 material? Overall a good loan IMO.

Your a *ucking joke. This is a lad who didnt get a game at Tranmere. Reminds of the days when we were skint and had to play a team of youngsters.

Never heard of him before today but after watching the you tube vid I gotta say I’m quite impressed. His passing looks very intelligent and creative a load of nice little through balls and intelligent creative play also seems good running with the ball I like the look of him based on the video.

Never heard of him before today but after watching the you tube vid I gotta say I’m quite impressed. His passing looks very intelligent and creative a load of nice little through balls and intelligent creative play also seems good running with the ball I like the look of him based on the video.

Agree.

But in the world of youtube, Steve De Ridder is also a world beater...

As a counter to this, Tranmere are 21st in league 1, so maybe this manager is not the best judge of talent.

Also don;t really know much about the guy but maybe this guy is more of a playmaker/attacking mid and they just don't play players like that or play more like a Pulis team, you just don't know.

As someone above said it's interesting we have this guy at the same time Crocker has just appeared and he was heavily involved with the England youth set ups.

Seems like a no loss situation to me, we get to look at him, he might have talent that has been overlooked/badly used and get a bonus good youngster, if not what have we lost?

TBF Obafemi plied his youth trade all over the place until he came to us, and now he's one of our 4 Premier League strikers. Young players can get overlooked, and as we've seen from some of our own youngsters, development ages vary greatly.

TBF Obafemi plied his youth trade all over the place until he came to us, and now he's one of our 4 Premier League strikers. Young players can get overlooked, and as we've seen from some of our own youngsters, development ages vary greatly.

Did we actually sign this guy from Chelsea, very quite about it everywhere

Did we actually sign this guy from Chelsea, very quite about it everywhere

I read an article that said he passed his medical, I just assumed as he wasn't a big signing it was being kept quiet by the club and we'll find out in a few days.

An attacker who failed to make any impact in league 2 and couldn't get a game in league 1.

Sounds really great. I mean, he's not THAT young. Seems a really odd signing, unless it's literally just helping out the u23s with no intention of first team future, which is an odd move to make.

It’s like a postmodern Jack Boyle or Jason St Juste signing.

Chelsea signed him aged 14 from Bristol City's Academy where the Lead Development Coach at the time was David Horseman.

From a quick look at Bristol City forum it appears they may have a closer link than just that...one poster hints that Horseman is/was Maddox's step-son.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/155198-chelsea-to-sign-14-year-old-bristol-city-teenager-jacob-maddox/#comment-1806738

He will certainly know all about him (as will Matt Crocker). Low risk, potentially a reward at some stage as he is obviously talented.

An attacker who failed to make any impact in league 2 and couldn't get a game in league 1.

Sounds really great. I mean, he's not THAT young. Seems a really odd signing, unless it's literally just helping out the u23s with no intention of first team future, which is an odd move to make.

It's an odd career choice for the lad but it makes sense for us. Slattery has gone on loan and Smallbone is part of the first team squad so the u23 are light in midfield.