Jacob Maddox on loan with view to permanent signing in summer

Matthew Le God

Not if the u23s need players. Which they do.

The youth squads' only purpose is to be a production line for the first team, or a source of revenue if we can sell the ones we don't want. That's why players have always been promoted from the under 18s when someone from the under 23s is elevated to the first team.

As said below, there is literally no point and no precedent in loaning a player just to make up the youth squad numbers for five months.

Then they use under 18s. That's the way it's always been. Literally never heard of a club loaning in another teams youth player to play in their reserves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Of course clubs sign youth players. We always have. Sure, it's a loan not a perm but no idea why that's a problem. As to using u18's for u23's, the gulf is massive between this age groups and promoting players before they're ready doesn't help them or their team mates. I'd rather have this lad at the heart of our u23 team than some 16 year old.

Just sets further alarm bells ringing on the state of our youngsters and total lack of overall strategy. Between this and loaning youth players out to the likes of Eastleigh, Woking and Gosport you really do have to worry.

Worry away if you must...

I think the appointment of Crocker is to correct the awful state the academy has got itself in to. All that money on facilities and opportunities and they forget the basics... Crocker will sort it out.

The youth squads' only purpose is to be a production line for the first team, or a source of revenue if we can sell the ones we don't want. That's why players have always been promoted from the under 18s when someone from the under 23s is elevated to the first team.

As said below, there is literally no point and no precedent in loaning a player just to make up the youth squad numbers for five months.

Perhaps the club feel that there are no U18s good enough and that having inadequate players in the centre of the pitch will be to the detriment to everyone else. Or maybe we just fancy the look of this guy and its a no risk 6 month try out before we maybe sign him in summer.

The answer certainly isn't that we want to develop other clubs youth players, so there must be some reason for it. I'd give Crocker the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to believe otherwise.

Just sets further alarm bells ringing on the state of our youngsters and total lack of overall strategy. Between this and loaning youth players out to the likes of Eastleigh, Woking and Gosport you really do have to worry.

Further evidence, if needed, on the legacy of Les.

Just sets further alarm bells ringing on the state of our youngsters and total lack of overall strategy.

Why? Signing one player aged 21 from another club on loan has no bearing on the quality of the rest of the squad or overall strategy.

Between this and loaning youth players out to the likes of Eastleigh, Woking and Gosport you really do have to worry.

No club has every player good enough for the Premier League or Championship, some simply aren't going to make it and even the ones that will require lower league loans to get them to the required level.

Matt LeGod - are you agreeing with me or are you suggesting that loaning Young reserves for your reserve team only and sending 3 20 yr olds to play in amateur non league set ups is the norm for Premier League teams ?. If so if you could let me know why you think our youth teams are in fine shape I’d love to hear ?

• 5 months later...
On 02/02/2020 at 20:38, egg said:

Of course clubs sign youth players. We always have. Sure, it's a loan not a perm but no idea why that's a problem. As to using u18's for u23's, the gulf is massive between this age groups and promoting players before they're ready doesn't help them or their team mates. I'd rather have this lad at the heart of our u23 team than some 16 year old.

I know this is quoting an old post but this is nonsense, under 18s are brought up to play in the under 23s all the time. 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I know this is quoting an old post but this is nonsense, under 18s are brought up to play in the under 23s all the time. 

It's far from nonsense. If an u18 is ready for u23 football, sure, play him. If however there's no suitable u18 player it'd be daft to promote a kid who's not yet ready. Bringing in a slightly older lad to slot into the u23 midfield was a sensible thing to do.