Spurs 3-2 Saints - FA Cup Reaction

ALWAYS_SFC

I watched the penalty in slow motion for 20 sec's and you can see Son on his way down before he gets to Gunn, and Gunn does not even touch him. So how does VAR not pick that up in 2 min's??

Completely agree. So, I read independent review comments (ie non Saints fans) and their line of argument seems to be that Gunn's foot caused Son to take evasive action (jumping) causing him to land awkwardly. That if Gunn hadn't been there Son wouldn't have jumped/dived. It's not a view I share.

Prior to last night, I thought Son was an honourable player. Last night I saw two reasons to reverse my opinion - the imaginary card brandishing and then the dive. He should be ashamed of himself.

great night up in London with fellow Saints fans. My first visit to Spurs new home and i must admit it is an impressive looking venue......but that's it...it's a venue not a football stadium, it's soulless!!!

I could not believe that considering this was a sell out the only fans you could hear all night was us singing for the full 90 minutes.

The game was a cracker, Saints played brilliantly, they carried on from recent good performances and totally dominated Spurs with only the odd breakaway for Spurs looking dangerous.

Again we have suffered because we have not killed the game off when in total control and Spurs got lucky with a horrible deflection and an unbelievable poor decision from the ref and VAR.

Full credit to the saints players who gave it everything, brilliant performance by Redmond for the second goal and what a finish by INGS.

All in all i'm not too downhearted this morning, we outplayed them in their new venue and we all know we have a great manager and some really good players. Just need the manager supported in the summer transfer market to get in the few players we need to make this a solid Premiership team.

Good assessment. It was also my first visit to the new stadium and it is mightily impressive. The only thing I want to add to your review is that Son (even though he goes down and rolls around too much) is a very dangerous player. As is Moura and Winks. Even though we dominated a lot of the game whenever one of these 3 got on the ball there was danger. All 3 have the quality to impact a game. Unfortunately that's what happened. BUT bitterly disappointed seeing Son trying to cheat for cards and penalties by over-egging tackles all night long, I've lost respect for him as a player.

Overall review. We dominated but lost due to :

* poor finishing from Ings first half. Should have scored 2 in the first half. A pub league player would have put them away.

* ref dishing out yellows to key players (was it 3 in 10 mins?) causing them to hold back

* we looked nervous at 2-1 up and couldn't close out the game safely

* Son is a diving git that VAR should have picked up

* poor finishing from Ings first half. Should have scored 2 in the first half. A pub league player would have put them away.

* ref dishing out yellows to key players (was it 3 in 10 mins?) causing them to hold back

The loss of JWP was a big factor. Are we going to face the rest of the season without the team's 'engine'?

Completely agree. So, I read independent review comments (ie non Saints fans) and their line of argument seems to be that Gunn's foot caused Son to take evasive action (jumping) causing him to land awkwardly. That if Gunn hadn't been there Son wouldn't have jumped/dived. It's not a view I share.

Prior to last night, I thought Son was an honourable player. Last night I saw two reasons to reverse my opinion - the imaginary card brandishing and then the dive. He should be ashamed of himself.

It's what happens when players are in decline and their futures uncertain, they over-try and make themselves look like Grade A tits all at the same time

Agree with that except the stupid bit in bold, a pub player would never have the movement or skill

"We could see the bone" sounds a little more concerning than this despite the apparent sighs of relief around town this morning.

you are aware there isnt a lot of flesh around the knee aren't you ?

a deep cut revealing bone isnt exactly along the lines of the Mark Dennis injury at Old Trafford many years ago

Another brilliant performance, really turning into a decent side.

If we had a proper RB and JWP at cm we'd have closed the game out. Romeu not quick enough for a 4222 formation.

How is it brilliant? We lost, and the reason Son got the penalty was because we left him unmarked in yards of space.

Yes we've improved from the start of the season, but we're a long way off brilliant. Brilliant is the side that regularly beat teams above them.

Also can we stop celebrating losing? It's so tinpot, and shows us up as being a small club with a small mindset. Personally i'm still massively f*cked off we threw that cup tie away. At 2-1 we should've closed ranks and seen it out.

How is it brilliant? We lost, and the reason Son got the penalty was because we left him unmarked in yards of space.

Yes we've improved from the start of the season, but we're a long way off brilliant. Brilliant is the side that regularly beat teams above them.

Also can we stop celebrating losing? It's so tinpot, and shows us up as being a small club with a small mindset. Personally i'm still massively f*cked off we threw that cup tie away. At 2-1 we should've closed ranks and seen it out.

Completely agree.

I’m not sure fitness was as big an issue as some are suggesting. I think them equalising so soon just knocked the stuffing out of us. We were the better team by a mile until the second we scored to go ahead. Then we stepped back and they scored and our heads were gone then imo, we knew we weren’t going to win from that point. I also think it’s annoying that Romeu is the only player we have who knows how to take one for the team to break an attack, meaning he couldn’t do it again as Gedson broke to set up the penalty and no one else ever does it.

But, god did we play some great football last night, never enjoyed losing a game so much, we were ****ing superb and that second goal was as good as i’ve ever seen live it was exceptional. I love this bloody team.

Fabulous 2nd goal for us. Great work from Redmond and excellent finish by Ings.

Agree with comments that it still wasn't enough though. We lost.

Marginal (if any) contact for the penalty.

Fed up being unlucky losers in games like this.

True, but helped having **** Turpin sat in the VAR van in his spurs shirt.

Agree with that except the stupid bit in bold, a pub player would never have the movement or skill

My comment was focused only on the finish, not the build up.

I think even a pub player would have (1) taken the shot with his right foot, his preferred foot rather than try to move it to his weaker foot and then issue a tame shot straight at the keeper, and (2) lifted it over the keeper rather than blast it.

But I do agree his movement to get in those positions is quality. Just want him to finish with quality when he gets in them. Imagine how many goals he would have if his shot conversion rate was better.

Ingsy is a mobile striker, going deep to collect the ball, going left and right. He's not a fox in the box that buries everything. That's all I was saying. His goal was exceptional finishing though, after am amazing run from Redmond.

A pity but when will we learn that our lads will always be knackered after 60/70 minutes of our high intensity style of play? Once that happens concentration goes and the inevitable happens. Clever of Spurs to allow us to play high speed keep ball and run ourselves into the ground while waiting patiently to pick us off later.

The lesson once again is that when we are dominant we MUST take our chances. We had plenty but once again our conversion rate is abysmal.

Agree, we could have had 3 or 4 goals easily , but we've crumbled a few times recently in 2nd half, Wolves conceded 3, Liverpool conceded 4, Spurs conceded 2, so frustrating to watch after playing well. We lack a leader on the pitch and need to get better at breaking up the game when under pressure.

A few notes:

Tired legs towards the end cost us.

Funny seeing Vest as a centre forward for a bit.

Never seen pints filled from the bottom before....don't fiddle with the magnet though, they can also empty from the bottom, as the chump stood next to me demonstrated.

Sorry this is strange logic, if we regularly beat teams above us then we'll end up above them and we'll regularly beat teams below us...….

Have watched the replay of the Ings goal for the umpteenth time and just spotted what is now my favourite part of the whole sequence... Long heads the ball out of his own penalty area to start the move and who arrives in the Spurs penalty area just as Ings shoots...? ...why, it's that fella long again! Keep an eye on him on the wider angle of the footage and look at the supreme effort he puts it to make it up the other end. An insignificant observation perhaps in the general scheme of things but Long epitomises the work ethic that Hassenhutl has drilled into this team. Marvelous.

(Look at the wider angle shot on here at 6:05 mins: [video=youtube_share;HkGzYQSWNE8]

)

P.s. the pass from JWP to Ings for his effort off the the bar was borderline world class the more you look at it

Edited by trousers

A few notes:

Tired legs towards the end cost us.

Funny seeing Vest as a centre forward for a bit.

Never seen pints filled from the bottom before....don't fiddle with the magnet though, they can also empty from the bottom, as the chump stood next to me demonstrated.

When we first arrived on the concourse, I did wonder why there were so many staff wandering around with mops. It soon became apparent why...!

I agree with a couple of Posters on SON, I've always admired him and thought him honourable, the diving and brandishing a card was ridiculous. However the penalty whilst very soft was legit. We all have to remember that the quality of Son's dive was irrelevant, Gunn moved his hands towards Son after he had gone past, I think he was trying to bring him down as it was obvious he would score, in the end he brushed his knee and as that showed up on VAR the rest is history. Ali's killer pass was the undoing of Saints.

Their reserves were better than ours, Romeu was lost for the 2nd game in a row, they spun off him at ease and it put our defence under a lot of pressure. On reflection putting JWP at right back destroys our midfield, Stephens filled in there without too much of a problem and we would have had a more dynamic midfield as a result. Taking off Boufel was the wrong move, Armstrong struggled to get into the game and Boufel was causing them a lot of problems.

Disappointing to lose but we can't be too downhearted at surviving games against the Champions league finalists relatively unscathed (the bar is set at 9 - 0). The season should kick on from here for Saints and I'm looking forward to the West Ham game particularly.

I agree with a couple of Posters on SON, I've always admired him and thought him honourable, the diving and brandishing a card was ridiculous. However the penalty whilst very soft was legit. We all have to remember that the quality of Son's dive was irrelevant, Gunn moved his hands towards Son after he had gone past, I think he was trying to bring him down as it was obvious he would score, in the end he brushed his knee and as that showed up on VAR the rest is history. Ali's killer pass was the undoing of Saints.

Their reserves were better than ours, Romeu was lost for the 2nd game in a row, they spun off him at ease and it put our defence under a lot of pressure. On reflection putting JWP at right back destroys our midfield, Stephens filled in there without too much of a problem and we would have had a more dynamic midfield as a result. Taking off Boufel was the wrong move, Armstrong struggled to get into the game and Boufel was causing them a lot of problems.

Disappointing to lose but we can't be too downhearted at surviving games against the Champions league finalists relatively unscathed (the bar is set at 9 - 0). The season should kick on from here for Saints and I'm looking forward to the West Ham game particularly.

Sorry to disagree, but the penalty was not legit and should have been overturned by VAR. Son should have been yellow carded for the dive, he was already on his way down before Gunn got near him.

Alli's killer pass may have lead directly to the chance for Son, but our undoing was a terrible misplaced pass by Redmond, another example to go with the many of us giving the ball away in an attacking position and putting ourselves under pressure. Redmond, Boufal and Tadic have all been guilty of this so many times in the past few seasons.

We also weren't playing our reserves, and I'm not sure Spurs were either. The team we put out last night was the strongest available, with the exception of Gunn who we knew would play (and is not much of a downgrade on Macca anyway). Not sure who exactly Spurs could have played that didn't that were eligible for the game.

Thought we played exceptionally well last night for upwards of 70 minutes - their second goal was the killer, if we hadn't conceded then I believe we would have gone on and won.

Impressive stadium filled with quiet boring home spectators who relished singing our song because it’s the easy thing to do. Son and Alli are cynical cheating players who I have grown to dislike intensely.

The team in general were fantastic, but huge missed chances from Ings and more so Boufal, meant we didn’t put the game to bed. Son definitely cheated by diving IMO and frankly the VAR official should be held to public account for not overturning the pen. A disgraceful decision. A terrible shame about Prowsey...I can’t see him being ready for Burnley. Ralph did make mistake taking Boufal off...if he wanted to win the game he should brought on Armstrong for Romeu who was in danger of getting a second yellow.

I can’t see us having a problem with the rest of the season providing KWP is as good as Prowsey or better and there’s no further significant injury problems. Adams continues to look pretty gash unfortunately...don’t think he’s up to it.

Have watched the replay of the Ings goal for the umpteenth time and just spotted what is now my favourite part of the whole sequence... Long heads the ball out of his own penalty area to start the move and who arrives in the Spurs penalty area just as Ings shoots...? ...why, it's that fella long again! Keep an eye on him on the wider angle of the footage and look at the supreme effort he puts it to make it up the other end. An insignificant observation perhaps in the general scheme of things but Long epitomises the work ethic that Hassenhutl has drilled into this team. Marvelous.

(Look at the wider angle shot on here at 6:05 mins: [video=youtube_share;HkGzYQSWNE8]

)

P.s. the pass from JWP to Ings for his effort off the the bar was borderline world class the more you look at it

I'm going to keep saying it but Long deserves a contract extension.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'm going to keep saying it but Long deserves a contract extension.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think you're right. We all know his weaknesses but there is no player in the team who fits Ralph's way of playing as well as Long, and he's a very good option to have available in the squad. There's no doubt our attacking play has improved since he has come back in as a starter this season.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sorry to disagree, but the penalty was not legit and should have been overturned by VAR. Son should have been yellow carded for the dive, he was already on his way down before Gunn got near him.

Alli's killer pass may have lead directly to the chance for Son, but our undoing was a terrible misplaced pass by Redmond, another example to go with the many of us giving the ball away in an attacking position and putting ourselves under pressure. Redmond, Boufal and Tadic have all been guilty of this so many times in the past few seasons.

We also weren't playing our reserves, and I'm not sure Spurs were either. The team we put out last night was the strongest available, with the exception of Gunn who we knew would play (and is not much of a downgrade on Macca anyway). Not sure who exactly Spurs could have played that didn't that were eligible for the game.

Thought we played exceptionally well last night for upwards of 70 minutes - their second goal was the killer, if we hadn't conceded then I believe we would have gone on and won.

I don’t think we would have gone on and won. They were carving us open at will after we scored and we seem to have run out of steam. There was only one team going to win this game in the last 15 minutes and it wasn’t us.

I don’t think we would have gone on and won. They were carving us open at will after we scored and we seem to have run out of steam. There was only one team going to win this game in the last 15 minutes and it wasn’t us.

haha im pretty sure that when we were 2-1 up if we didnt concede a second goal we really wouldve won! Even for saints losing when the final score is 2-1 is pretty hard

• 2 weeks later...
I know that it is wrong of me but .... my initial reaction today to the news that the card waving, diving , cheat Son had broken his arm was "good."

Karma.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

I agree. He's gone right down in my estimation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk