Next 5 League fixtures - maximum points?

SNSUN

Burnley (h)

Villa (h)

West Ham (a)

Newcastle (h)

Norwich (a)

A bit of a break after the Spuds Cup game, but then we have 5 seemingly winnable League games, starting with the team that got our season off to a bad start. What do you reckon we’ll get from that lot?

IMO playing our best we could get all 15 points, but we’re Southampton and never do things easily. So 9-11 points is my guesstimate. A lot of it rides on whether Ings stays fit. Theres a tougher 5 games following them though (Arsenal, Watford, City, Everton, United) so we need to make the most of these fixtures.

We'll get 5 points from that lot. I'm convinced we're going to **** things up and end up going into our games against Brighton and Bournemouth needing wins to stay up.

Pessimism I can understand and I'd probably say a cautious 6 points myself. However I think you're massively overestimating Watford and West Ham there. They would both have to win their next five to see us needing wins against Bournemouth and Brighton.

Even with 5 points and nothing from Utd, City and (as usual) Goodison, that only sees us needing 4 from Arsenal at home, the two games you mentioned, Watford away and Sheff Utd on the last day.

I just can't make a case for us being anywhere near the drop zone.

Pessimism I can understand and I'd probably say a cautious 6 points myself. However I think you're massively overestimating Watford and West Ham there. They would both have to win their next five to see us needing wins against Bournemouth and Brighton.

Even with 5 points and nothing from Utd, City and (as usual) Goodison, that only sees us needing 4 from Arsenal at home, the two games you mentioned, Watford away and Sheff Utd on the last day.

You can quite easily. These are the same players with a weaker back 4 that looked like a pub team only a few months ago. We’ve only won three home games all season and two of those were against the bottom two. In fact we’ve been dreadful at home for a few years and it doesn’t look like changing so we really shouldn’t be too optimistic about getting too many points at home. An injury to Ings and a defender or two and we’d be in the sh8t. We should be comfortable but we also have it in us to implode.

You can quite easily. These are the same players with a weaker back 4 that looked like a pub team only a few months ago. We’ve only won three home games all season and two of those were against the bottom two. In fact we’ve been dreadful at home for a few years and it doesn’t look like changing so we really shouldn’t be too optimistic about getting too many points at home. An injury to Ings and a defender or two and we’d be in the sh8t. We should be comfortable but we also have it in us to implode.

Yeah, if you like.

Looking at the run in:

We don’t have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves or Palace.

West Ham don’t have to play Sheff U, Brighton, Leicester, Everton, Bournemouth or Palace

Watford don’t have to play Villa, Bournemouth, Everton, Spurs, Sheff U or Wolves

If you want to think they could get 7 points more from what’s left, you go ahead.

Yeah, if you like.

Looking at the run in:

We don’t have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves or Palace.

West Ham don’t have to play Sheff U, Brighton, Leicester, Everton, Bournemouth or Palace

Watford don’t have to play Villa, Bournemouth, Everton, Spurs, Sheff U or Wolves

If you want to think they could get 7 points more from what’s left, you go ahead.

We should be fine but if we match west hams results before we play them then they beat us the gap is only 2 points. We should be fine but we are only a couple of bad weeks with results going against us from being right back in the sh*t. People are assuming we’ll stay up comfortably because we’ve had a good run, well they thought that last year too. Don’t forget burnley hammered us up there and it’s the same defenders that couldn’t cope with Antonio at st Mary’s. To think we are going to cruise to a top half finish is extremely complacent.

I hope the boys have more confidence then some of us!

Burnley (h)- Draw

Villa (h)- Win

West Ham (a)- Loss

Newcastle (h)- Win

Norwich (a)- Draw

Yes I am only predicting 8 points meself.

However, what I will say is this- in 4 out of those 5 games (bar WHU), will predict that we have the better stats and expected goals figure, but we’re unable to just convert our performance into 3 points- you know, the Saints way!

Edited by nta786
added up wrong!

I think thats 8 points.

I hope the boys have more confidence then some of us!

Burnley (h)- Draw

Villa (h)- Win

West Ham (a)- Loss

Newcastle (h)- Win

Norwich (a)- Draw

Yes I am only predicting 7 points meself.

However, what I will say is this- in 4 out of those 5 games (bar WHU), will predict that we have the better stats and expected goals figure, but we’re unable to just convert our performance into 3 points- you know, the Saints way!

8-10 maybe, all winnable of course but 3 of those teams will park the bus at home which we struggle with.

I actually think more points might come from the next 5 after that, as those teams are more likely to try to play, i think we might more likely beat teams like Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd, than Burnley and Newcastle, but we'll see.

Honestly we could easily though get 2 points a game average for the rest of the season IMO.

We should be fine but if we match west hams results before we play them then they beat us the gap is only 2 points. We should be fine but we are only a couple of bad weeks with results going against us from being right back in the sh*t. People are assuming we’ll stay up comfortably because we’ve had a good run, well they thought that last year too. Don’t forget burnley hammered us up there and it’s the same defenders that couldn’t cope with Antonio at st Mary’s. To think we are going to cruise to a top half finish is extremely complacent.

How many points from the next 5 Turkish?

Agree about complacency but if we match WH results in the next two games and then lose to them I think they are still 4 points behind us.

Hopefully the next 5 will yield the 7 or 8 points to get us safe.

Agree about complacency but if we match WH results in the next two games and then lose to them I think they are still 4 points behind us.

Hopefully the next 5 will yield the 7 or 8 points to get us safe.

Yes you’re right, they are 7 points behind us now, thought it was less than that, they also play man city and Liverpool next so we could be 10 or 11 Cleve by the time we meet them.

A lot of fans I speak to still don't look forward to home games, we've been so bad for a while now and never look comfortable, Burnley at home is just the sort of game I expect us to struggle in, 0-1 Ashley Barnes for them.

Would love it if we win at West Ham and push them furtervinto relegation trouble.

Think it helps that we play Villa the week before their cup final.

Yes you’re right, they are 7 points behind us now, thought it was less than that, they also play man city and Liverpool next so we could be 10 or 11 Cleve by the time we meet them.

If we beat West Ham they will be right in the ****e. Their next two are City and Liverpool then after us I think they’ve got Chelsea, Spurs and a Wolves or something like that.

Let's be honest we won't get maximum points. Safety still has to be the aim. I'd be happy with 6/7. Still finding it hard to enjoy this season as I'm still in shock at how we have turned things around. Even at our worst we will pick up enough points to stay up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Let's be honest we won't get maximum points. Safety still has to be the aim. I'd be happy with 6/7. Still finding it hard to enjoy this season as I'm still in shock at how we have turned things around. Even at our worst we will pick up enough points to stay up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree mate. The complacency of here is staggering. Everyone assuming we’re going to canter to a top half finish. These are still the same players that finished 16th last season narrowly avoiding relegation. we haven’t added anyone who has improved the first team, if anything we’ve weakened it. What we are is an average team playing above themselves with a striker in the form of his life. We won’t go down but a short run of good form hasn’t turned us into a brilliant team either.

Burnley - well-rested and difficult to play against. Draw.

Villa - minds elsewhere. Win.

West Ham. They have City then the scousers before us and a couple of days' less rest. I reckon a win/draw.

Newcastle - Should win.

Norwich. A draw, I reckon.

9-11 points overall, I'd say.

I’ll take limping through the rest of the season and getting the 9 points we need. Saturdays game exemplified the thin squad we have with Cédric gone and no Armstrong, requiring us to lose our best midfielder to lb. The other factor may be that we think we are relatively comfortable and find ourselves in the “on the beach” mode, whilst the lower teams will be fighting for their lives. As others have say d we are not that far away from the dreadful team we were a few weeks ago. Having said all that it could be a long established Saints mental self defence mechanism preparing for the worst whilst secretly hoping for Europa league!?!

Burnley - Well organised, will sit back - Draw

Villa - unorganised rabble- Saints win

West H - We'll be their easiest game for a month - Saints lose

Newcastle - Should have beaten them once already - Saints win

Norwich - play good football at home - Draw.

Total. 8 points.

This.

People look at the points difference and say "oh it's possible for the other teams to make up 7+ pts etc", but that's not how form works. Sure, we are more than capable of becoming very **** again (I don't think out squad is top half prem at all) but then 2 to 3 other teams have to then put together Champions League form and that just doesn't happen.

I find it odd people think we will lose to West Ham away, they are very poor at home, not in good form and we are very good away. They just let a 2 goal lead slip to goal shy Brighton.

Plus they have away to City and away to Pool before they play us, so they are unlikely to have picked up any points and potentially might have got smashed.

That is probably our most likely win in that list.

Looking at their fixture list they are really in trouble, City away, Liverpool away, Us at home, Arsenal away, Wolves home, Spurs away, Chelsea home, they really could be struggling to win any of those.

Yup and massive win for Bournemouth at the weekend. They still have got to play the following...their home games will be huge for them.

Sheff Utd (A)

Burnley (A)

Chelsea (H)

Liverpool (A)

Palace (H)

Wolves (A)

Newcastle (H)

Man Utd (A)

Spurs (H)

Leicester (H)

City (A)

Saints (H)

Everton (A)

Yup and massive win for Bournemouth at the weekend. They still have got to play the following...their home games will be huge for them.

Yep. Let's say, worst case scenario, they beat us and also win their 'easier' home games against Palace and Newcastle. That would only put them 4 points above where we are now, with the following fixtures left.

Sheff Utd (A)

Burnley (A)

Chelsea (H)

Liverpool (A)

Wolves (A)

Man Utd (A)

Spurs (H)

Leicester (H)

City (A)

Everton (A)

I find it odd people think we will lose to West Ham away, they are very poor at home, not in good form and we are very good away. They just let a 2 goal lead slip to goal shy Brighton.

Plus they have away to City and away to Pool before they play us, so they are unlikely to have picked up any points and potentially might have got smashed.

That is probably our most likely win in that list.

Looking at their fixture list they are really in trouble, City away, Liverpool away, Us at home, Arsenal away, Wolves home, Spurs away, Chelsea home, they really could be struggling to win any of those.

They were in terrible Form when we played them at home and they beat us. It’s the same defenders that couldn’t cope with Antonio then that will play against them. Plus we have a poor record against them. I’m really surprised so many think a win as likely.

They were in terrible Form when we played them at home and they beat us. It’s the same defenders that couldn’t cope with Antonio then that will play against them. Plus we have a poor record against them. I’m really surprised so many think a win as likely.

We are crap at home and we were only just turning it around when we played them, we are so much better away from home and there is more pressure on them to win that game.

the loss last weekend really didn't change the forecast in 538's prediction of us finishing with 49 points. (the Liverpool loss was baked in I reckon)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

that being said.. I think we get 7 points

Burnley (h)- Loss

Villa (h)- Win

West Ham (a)- Draw

Newcastle (h)- Loss

Norwich (a)- Win

which will get us pretty damn close to safety (538 is predicting 39 points would do it)

Their new midfielder - Soucek, is a pretty handy footballer. Expect him to dictate the play a bit more in forthcoming matches while getting used to the rest of his team mates. He would have suited us (a player Hojbjerg should have been).

Their new midfielder - Soucek, is a pretty handy footballer. Expect him to dictate the play a bit more in forthcoming matches while getting used to the rest of his team mates. He would have suited us (a player Hojbjerg should have been).

Most tackles in the Premier League this season:Ndidi - 86Moutinho - 65Ward-Prowse - 62Buendia - 57Hojbjerg - 57