Saints v Burnley Build-up

SuperSAINT

Come on Saints. Lets get back to winning ways,

Is Bednarek suspended for this one?

I *think* Ashley Barnes is injured for this one, so that's a bonus.

No, Bednarek would have missed the next FA Cup game had we got through. He’s ok for the Burnley game. Yellow cards are competition specific, thankfully.

Burnley are tricky. They are the archetypal team we struggle to break down.

Hard to press when they’ll just punt it down the pitch.

Yep, haven't beaten them for about four or five years. I remember a couple of seasons ago at St Mary's, we totally dominated them, failed to score and they pumped one ball into the box after about 85 minutes and Vokes scored with their only effort of the game. The football they played that day was horrible, I remember walking home after the game actually feeling sorry for their fans having to watch that every week.

We played well at Turf Moore, 1st game of this season, dominated for the first hour, they scored from a hoofed clearance, and then beat us easily. I hate playing Burnley.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

This will be a good test for us to see if we can bounce back after tonight's disappointment after playing so well, and also against the type of team we normally struggle with. Will need a whole hearted fully committed performance to win so could certainly do with having JWP available in midfield.

How we fare in this one could set the tone for what kind of end to the season it's likely to be?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Yep, haven't beaten them for about four or five years. I remember a couple of seasons ago at St Mary's, we totally dominated them, failed to score and they pumped one ball into the box after about 85 minutes and Vokes scored with their only effort of the game. The football they played that day was horrible, I remember walking home after the game actually feeling sorry for their fans having to watch that every week.

We played well at Turf Moore, 1st game of this season, dominated for the first hour, they scored from a hoofed clearance, and then beat us easily. I hate playing Burnley.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I understand. So if we beat Burnley we can beat everyone :-)

Seems to be an interesting game next weekend.

We are generally decent after having a good break and time to prepare for games. We should in theory, providing JWP's cut is not too bad, have a full squad to face them as well.

But its would be very Saints like to produce a flat performance struggling to break down a horrible Burnley team who nick a goal from a corner or something, after playing so well vs Spurs and Liverpool.

We're far too good now for Burnley to handle. The key will be our finishing so let's hope with the monkey off his back Ings can knock in a few more per match. I'll happily take 3-0 HT even if it ends up 3-2.

Burnley are a very well drilled side who will not leave many gaps for us to exploit

To dismiss them is ridiculous

We are a totally different outfit than when we lost up there in the first game of the season. Our lads now have a much better approach and understanding than on August 10th. Burnley are quite vulnerable at the back. Currently they are minus ten. We need to win 3-0 to go three points clear of them and go level on goal difference. Our performances (even against 12 men) show we are capable of giving them a good hiding. I've waited a long time for a really high scoring victory and it's on the cards against Burnley.

We’re in a bad run now, one win in 5, 3 losses we’ve collapsed in all of those losses, we don’t fare well against strong powerful teams can see burnley nicking this one.

Of course they will , Rodriguez goal as well.

Burnley will sit deep, we can't break down team's that do that. We'll over commit and leave gaps in midfield.

Not checked myself but am told on a league table of HOME results only we'd currently be bottom of the premier league.

12.30 kick off, sober dull atmosphere with small away following sat in the corner.

Got to be honest , not looking forward to this one.

Saints will always struggle against teams like Burnley who play lots of long balls and crosses into the box until the board backs Ralph and sign some commanding central defenders. Saints played well last two games but the defending at Liverpool and Spurs was poor.

So all out attack and hope to score more goals than them!

McCarthy

Walker-Peters

Stephens

Bednarek

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Armstrong

Redmond

Boufal

Ings

At home, need creativity as Burnley will get behind ball and try and play long ball out for their big players.

it will obviously be Long and Ings up top

scoring/creating is not the issue, keeping them out is

Thats BS.

Well add up the goals conceded when he starts against when he doesn’t. Aside from that he is just too stiff and wooden in that position, gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous positions mainly because he is just a bit too slow. It’s not a vendetta in any way it’s just that we are vulnerable defensively when he plays and slow in transition too.

Well add up the goals conceded when he starts against when he doesn’t. Aside from that he is just too stiff and wooden in that position, gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous positions mainly because he is just a bit too slow. It’s not a vendetta in any way it’s just that we are vulnerable defensively when he plays and slow in transition too.

Agreed- isn’t playing to the form we saw in 2016/17 although I think he doesn’t suit the 442 formation- much better when he actually has to sit in the back like a pivot or in a 4231.

Got bullied by Wood in the first game against them, midfield middle two need to protect our defence better, prefer seeing JWP in there but will have to see. Think we’ll concede but we do create and look good going forward so just need to convert at least two three chances to win the game. 3-1 home win

We need to be a lot smarter at the back against teams like Burnley. Cut out the possession based passing. Up against Spurs we suddenly went into our shell and slowed the game down rather than play the quick ball forward and pulled ourselves out of shape and paid the price exposed to Spurs breaking quickly.

Against teams like that we have to play like we did at Leicester, over the top or through the defence. Let our quick forwards attack their big defenders and hold a defensive line and dominate the couple of attackers left up. Goalkeeper launch the ball into the channels to be hunted down and pressed, centre backs probe the channels then keep a defensive line. Leicester managed five shots. We don't have to commit defenders and defensive midfielders in kamikaze numbers. If the full backs commit then the midfield cover the centre backs and vice versa.

We can get goals against any team but we have to be a lot smarter, it is the back four that gets us into trouble. We don't need lots of slow possession because it doesn't work for most teams. Even Liverpool play a high number of long passes or long diagonal passes to expose defenders to their quick forwards. That is the way for us to play not like a poor man's Manchester City.

The way we play away is the way to play at home and when we get ahead don't to try and keep the ball with no attacking ambition.

As silly as it sounds I am still looking just a tiny bit over our shoulder (even though I am extremely sure we will be fine now), but I want to get to the 40 point mark as soon as we can. I think we should get a couple wins from these next 5 games and realistically that will be us most of the way there.

This won’t be a game anyone will really enjoy. 1230, half asleep atmosphere and two very contrasting styles. What concerns me the most is that the one thing that can really negate a good pressing game is an effective more.. lets say.. direct style of play. Burnley are in a good spell right now so will be confident of nicking it. If they take the lead, the game becomes extremely tricky.

We’re playing well at the moment and confidence is high, so fingers crossed for a sneaky win, though I don’t think a draw would be a disaster.

Well of course if he never gets picked to start then how the hell is he supposed to get up to the speeds that Hassenhütl is now demanding. Being fit is not the same as being match fit and not many out there last beyond 65 minutes which is why we concede so many goals so late on. Oppo's just wait until we are ****ged and then pick us off. Give the lad a chance FFS

Latest fall guy for fans to blame. Happens to every Saints player here on the Saints web forum.

I've always been a big fan of Romeu but against Spurs there's no doubt he was ponderous and/or sloppy in possession. He was always a tidy player but I wonder if that's because we used to play patient football under Puel (when Oriol was at his best). Now we play a higher tempo he struggles. I think he looks better when sit deep protecting the back line rather than pressing, because he doesn't recover quickly when going back towards his own goal.

Of course, it could also be that he doesn't get a lot of game time at the moment and isn't sharp or used to playing the way we do. I don't think he deserves to be the whipping boy of the forum, but unless he improves he will only be a back up or used when we start sitting deeper.

I've always been a big fan of Romeu but against Spurs there's no doubt he was ponderous and/or sloppy in possession. He was always a tidy player but I wonder if that's because we used to play patient football under Puel (when Oriol was at his best). Now we play a higher tempo he struggles. I think he looks better when sit deep protecting the back line rather than pressing, because he doesn't recover quickly when going back towards his own goal.

Of course, it could also be that he doesn't get a lot of game time at the moment and isn't sharp or used to playing the way we do. I don't think he deserves to be the whipping boy of the forum, but unless he improves he will only be a back up or used when we start sitting deeper.

I think that is all true. Romeu is a good player but really more suited to sitting in front of the defence rather than making frequent sprints up and down the pitch.

Thinking that jwp might not be ready if the cut was that bad.

Also think against Burnley I'd want a right back who is decent aerially rather than debutting kwp.

Rest of the team sort of picks itself imo

Also fingers crossed the weather improves. Want no repeat of conditions that clearly suited Burnley in the opening game of the season

McCarthy

Valery Stephens bednarek Bertrand

Romeu hojberg

Armstrong Redmond

Long ings