Saints v Burnley Build-up

SuperSAINT

I GUESS the logic is it's Burnley so long balls so giant CB.

But I just can't get past him frequently misjudging the ball and letting people in. Even his best game, at Palace, he gave them a huge chance most other sides would have punished.

Am I being too harsh? Bednarek and Stephens are OK, no more, Vestergaard is just...****.

Yeah but.... Part of the reason for our recent good form has been a stable back 4. Ergo, why make more changes than we need to, especially with KWP starting for the first time. That said, maybe the manager knows more than me...?! ;)

is that the first league game bednarek's missed under ralphy?

i have to say their lineup does not look remotely threatening - except for the old former players' curse of course. cork with a bicycle on the edge of the box in the 95th minute?

good to see stu and JWP back, and i must say i'm a shameless boufal supporter like i was a shameless ramirez supporter. sh1t games like this are often one by ten seconds of inspiration i reckon.

Redmond is a big loss, but Boufal and Djenepo both carry a lot of threat so I am not sure that weakens us too much.

JWP and Armstrong back in is a big positive.

Vestergaard is a big call, Bedenerak and Stephens have formed a good partnership over the last few months, so unless there is a knock it looks strange, is it a horses for courses pick to try to deal with the height of Wood.

No Barnes and Gudmondson for them which is good, I think those two have caused us problems before, Hendrick looks a very meh player all round and even more so as a winger, Boufal and Bertrand getting at their right side should be interesting.

KWP up against McNeil is a test, probably one of their few players I'd have in our team, a lot of their team looks very championship on paper, shows how much a well drilled unit knowing their roles can do.

Burnley play it very tight at the back, make it difficult to get in behind them. We historically struggle to break these sides down. Hope I'm wrong but a 0-0 or 1-1 on the cards. Burnley are a bit of a bogey side for us.

A bogey side in the sense that recently they seem to have had perfect Burnley conditions when they've played us. But really they just play in a way that we struggle against. We like to hit on the counter, they sit deep. We don't deal well we long balls, and that is their bread & butter. In previous meetings, but less so now, our players have not dealt well with matches that are more like battles, and again that's something Burnley enjoy.

Whereas some teams can be inexplicably a bogey side or bogey grounds (Goodison...), I would say Burnley are a case where the reasons are quite obvious as to why we haven't fared so well.