HS2

whelk

Once have so many sunk costs then get fleeced as no option to pull plug and why these projects go so over budget.

300 bridges and 70 viaducts to be built. Judging by the bridge over the M27 at Romsey being under repair for as long as I can remember that is some task. Also we won’t have enough Eastern Europeans.

Make northern away games easier but probably cost a fortune for tickets

Phase 1 will speed up travel between Brum and the Smoke, but as with all such schemes the trend will be to move the commuter belt for London further out rather than move investment to the Midlands. Phase 2 won't be 'live' before 2040 at the earliest, and without huge investment in the surrounding ancillary transport links, will deliver eff all improvement - currently the fastest trains from Manchester and Liverpool take a little over 2 hours to reach London. Trans-Pennine is in much more need of investment, and of greater economic importance.

Edited by badgerx16

£100bn pumped into the economy, what's not to like.

Not to like? Because it could very well be money down the drain. Wouldn’t it be better to improve other transport infrastructure more widely? South Hampshire is crying out for a tram system and what ever happened to our south coast motorway all the way to Dover?

No, the Tories are only interested in buying votes up North. If Southerners are too stupid and keep voting for them regardless then no public money will ever come our way.

Whilst I agree with it in principle I think money could be better invested in transport elsewhere. A decent new runway at SOU, replacing Bristol and Cardiff with the Severnside airport which was proposed a few years ago, improving the local railways up North and as Whitey said, a south coast motorway which avoids Chichester and goes all the way to Ashford.

Dread to think how much a ticket would cost

Depends whether they try and recoup the capital cost of building it. The interest alone will be c£2bn pa. Incidentally I had to go to Edinburgh recently. The cheapest train from London, booked in advance was £126. Cheapest flight £48.

Haven't they already spent a ridiculous amount? Seems like they've got so far already that the most sensible choice is to continue. Not good though in my opinion and it's not something I'll be using much.

Don’t worry. I’m sure that they have factored that into their passenger projections.

Depends whether they try and recoup the capital cost of building it. The interest alone will be c£2bn pa. Incidentally I had to go to Edinburgh recently. The cheapest train from London, booked in advance was £126. Cheapest flight £48.

Southampton central to London Waterloo is about £80. Pound for pound it's the most expensive trip in the UK...

I have kids at Glasgow Uni and would much rather take the train up to see them but it is so much cheaper to fly.

Southampton central to London Waterloo is about £80. Pound for pound it's the most expensive trip in the UK...

I was trying to get into London once at a time which was just clipping the beginning of the evening rush hour. The plan was to park just outside London, at Iver I think it was, and get a short train in. When I looked at the trainline website, I got a price of £51 for a total of 23 minutes on 2 connecting trains. Absolute madness.

I was trying to get into London once at a time which was just clipping the beginning of the evening rush hour. The plan was to park just outside London, at Iver I think it was, and get a short train in. When I looked at the trainline website, I got a price of £51 for a total of 23 minutes on 2 connecting trains. Absolute madness.
It's mad. My wife commutes to London every day and it costs us £7k a year. My parents have just returned from napoli and their return flight costs significantly less than it would cost me to get a train to London.

Just looked at the proposed journey times. There doesn’t seem to be a huge saving in time given the cost. It cuts nearly an hour off of the journeys to Scotland but flying will still be quicker and cheaper. As for Brum and Manchester, again will the quicker times be worth the expense and the cost of the ticket?

Massive waste of money.

£100bn down the drain just so some arseholes who feel the need to commute from Birmingham to London can get an extra half hour in bed.

Just looked at the proposed journey times. There doesn’t seem to be a huge saving in time given the cost. It cuts nearly an hour off of the journeys to Scotland but flying will still be quicker and cheaper. As for Brum and Manchester, again will the quicker times be worth the expense and the cost of the ticket?

I think one of the main arguments is that it frees up capacity on the existing lines.

Why it doesn’t call at Heathrow is completely beyond me.