Community 'Policing' - Good or Bad?

Micky

Was very interested to see this in the news recently. Having not lived in Southampton for some time - its a little concerning that it has come to this. However, I can't really say that I am that surprised, in my opinion the Police are not fit for purpose when it comes to 'low level' crime. Rarely is it solved, rarely do people get caught and when they do rarely do they get prosecuted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-51443429/on-patrol-with-the-public-policing-their-community

It's a sad world when people have to patrol their own streets in order for residents to feel safe.

Edited by Micky

Kent Police have to cut their budget by £9m in the next financial year which isn’t helpful. When I was on the Parish Council I got to know the local officers. They were very helpful but due to cuts in numbers had to cover large areas so we didn’t see much of them. If deployed correctly they can play a useful part in local policing but as with the full police officers, there aren’t enough of them out and about. Even if the recruitment figures are to be believed, the numbers will be well below what they should be.

You get what you vote for.

If people don't want to pay taxes to fund the Police then we have to accept crime going unpunished.

Crime goes unpunished because of a lack of will, not money. Bit more old fashioned coppering is needed. The force has been taken over by soft arsed lefties like you, that’s the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crime goes unpunished because of a lack of will, not money. Bit more old fashioned coppering is needed. The force has been taken over by soft arsed lefties like you, that’s the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's complete ********. I'm friends with a fair few coppers and all they tell me is that moral is on the floor and resources are stretched to breaking point - it's a simple case of priotising the most serious crimes and leaving some alone.

The only problem is people like you **** your pants and scream Venezuela at the mere thought of paying a bit more tax.

That's complete ********. I'm friends with a fair few coppers and all they tell me is that moral is on the floor and resources are stretched to breaking point - it's a simple case of priotising the most serious crimes and leaving some alone.

The only problem is people like you **** your pants and scream Venezuela at the mere thought of paying a bit more tax.

Like transphobic limericks on twitter?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/24/man-investigated-police-retweeting-transgender-limerick/

Is the cataloguing of non hate crime incidents - these are non criminal incidents perceived by the victim to be motivated by hate - an effective and efficient use of stretched police resources?

Edited by hypochondriac

So true. I worked closely with a number of police officers for 8 years and moral dropped year by year as the spendings cuts bit.

Like transphobic limericks on twitter?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/24/man-investigated-police-retweeting-transgender-limerick/

Is the cataloguing of non hate crime incidents - these are non criminal incidents perceived by the victim to be motivated by hate - an effective and efficient use of stretched police resources?

Yep, that is where all the resources go, such that, in April last year the Chief Constable of GMP reported that 600 offences each day, mostly thefts, were not being investigated. :mcinnes:

Yep, that is where all the resources go, such that, in April last year the Chief Constable of GMP reported that 600 offences each day, mostly thefts, were not being investigated. :mcinnes:
That's not what I said was it. At a time when resources are "stretched to breaking point", is investigating non crime hate incidents like supposedly transphobic limericks on twitter a wise use of police resources?

Instead of recording 87,000 non crimes over the past five years, might it have been better to try and get some of those thefts investigated? I wonder if they had concentrated on that instead how many more could have been looked into.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/05/police-forces-record-thousands-hate-incidents-year-even-though/

Edited by hypochondriac

You know he’s a troll right?

That’s what happens when your police “service” is full of snowflakes. Tell them to stop moaning, get out of their cars and get back on the beat. Living near the SBS base I know plenty of ex marines who would do a better job than ****ing social workers dressed up in police uniforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not what I said was it. At a time when resources are "stretched to breaking point", is investigating non crime hate incidents like supposedly transphobic limericks on twitter a wise use of police resources?

Instead of recording 87,000 non crimes over the past five years, might it have been better to try and get some of those thefts investigated? I wonder if they had concentrated on that instead how many more could have been looked into.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/05/police-forces-record-thousands-hate-incidents-year-even-though/

Over 5 years and 27 Police forces, that equates to about 2 a day per force, hardly resource intensive.

Over 5 years and 27 Police forces, that equates to about 2 a day per force, hardly resource intensive.
Given they've been phoning these people as well as interviewing them under caution in some cases, I imagine it takes up a fair amount of time. That's without even mentioning the hit to police credibility with the public for pursuing this nonsense. Besides, any amount of time wasted on non crime is time that could be spent on actual crimes. 2 extra crimes investigated per police force per day would be a good start.

So true. I worked closely with a number of police officers for 8 years and moral dropped year by year as the spendings cuts bit.

No wonder so many crimes go unpunished with all those morals slipping away ;)

Transphobic limericks :lol:

#kerching #obsessed

I'm sure you'll be delighted to find out that Harry Miller won his case this morning and what the police have been doing has been ruled unlawful. The recording of the non-crime hate incident has also been ruled unlawful in conjunction with the investigation.. Great news.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-51501202

Edited by hypochondriac

I'm sure you'll be delighted to find out that Harry Miller won his case this morning and what the police have been doing has been ruled unlawful. The recording of the non-crime hate incident has also been ruled unlawful in conjunction with the investigation.. Great news.

There's nothing great in that story. Neither the Police wasting their time or some arsehole feeling the need to have pop at transgenders is worth celebrating.

There's nothing great in that story. Neither the Police wasting their time or some arsehole feeling the need to have pop at transgenders is worth celebrating.

You clearly haven't read the judgement or you haven't understood it. That's not what it is at all. Here's the full story if you actually have an open mind about this stuff- which I doubt.

Edited by hypochondriac

I wouldn’t have known about transphobic limericks had you not brought it to my attention. You see I’m not a cretin who overreacts to this stuff.

As for the telegraph article, it’s clickbait for the hard of thinking. Do I think many of these alleged ‘offences’ are nonsense? Sure - just as I do the oddballs who go out of their way to tweet these things to begin with. There were 11 million offences in the last year alone, so 87,000 over 5 years is absolutely tiny - never mind that on an incident per incident basis, proportionately fewer resources will be allocated to them. So unless you’re a hysterical halfwit who can’t maintain some perspective, the need to record transgender limericks and alike would not be at the top of my reasons for why community policing has grown.

Edited by shurlock

I wouldn’t have known about transphobic limericks had you not brought it to my attention. You see I’m not a cretin who overreacts to this stuff.

As for the telegraph article, it’s clickbait for the hard of thinking. Do I think many of these alleged ‘offences’ are nonsense? Sure - just as I do the oddballs who tweet these things to begin with. See I’m able to maintain a sense of perspective. There were 11 million offences in the last year alone, so 87,000 over 5 years is absolutely tiny - never mind that on an incident per incident basis, proportionately fewer resources will be allocated to them. So unless you’re a hysterical halfwit, the need to record transgender limericks and alike would not be at the top of my reasons for why community policing has grown.

In what universe is writing a post about a court case an overreaction? I just don't think the police should be wasting their time recording thousands of non-crimes if they are stretched to breaking point. This is particularly true if these non-crimes are showing up on enhanced DBS checks and potentially preventing people from getting a job. That view holds true even if the overall percentage of resources allocated to this sort of thing is small (although there's probably more of it than you think.) I never said it was top of my list but the current allocation of police resources is definitely something that should be in the conversation if we are potentially looking to increase the current resources. It seems you agree it is nonsense so that's good, maybe we have some common ground.

Edited by hypochondriac

In what universe is writing a post about a court case an overreaction? I just don't think the police should be wasting their time recording thousands of non-crimes if they are stretched to breaking point. This is particularly true if these non-crimes are showing up on enhanced DBS checks and potentially preventing people from getting a job. It seems you agree it is nonsense so that's good, maybe we have some common ground.

We’re talking about the rise of community policing and what has prompted it. On the raw stats alone and the differences in resources devoted to different types of offencs, the need to record these incidents is absolutely trivial. Doing away with them would barely move the dial relative to other interventions and the structural challenges facing the police. Yet for some reason that’s all you’ve talked about on this thread which as I say is more a reflection of your hysterical preoccupations than anything else.

Edited by shurlock

We’re talking about the rise of community policing and what has prompted it. On the raw stats and the likely resources devoted to different incidents, the need to record these incidents is absolutely trivial. Doing away with them would barely move the dial relative to other interventions and structural challenges facing the police. Yet for some reason that’s all you’ve talked about on this thread which as I say is more a reflection of your hysterical preoccupations than anything else.

It's not hard to understand. Resources are at breaking point and any reallocation of existing resources would be a good thing, even if it's only a relatively small amount. I'm more than happy to look at how the police deal with other crimes more generally as well - and there's a discussion to be had about funding- but this is an example of inefficient use of police resources which is relevant to the discussion. The only reason I've made more than a couple of posts about it is because you and aintforever consider it to be controversial for some reason. Anyway it seems you agree with me that this sort of thing is largely nonsense so it seems we can move on.

Edited by hypochondriac

That’s what happens when your police “service” is full of snowflakes. Tell them to stop moaning, get out of their cars and get back on the beat. Living near the SBS base I know plenty of ex marines who would do a better job than ****ing social workers dressed up in police uniforms.

Back on the beat? No wonder you are still stuck in the last century. The days of the cheery local Bobby giving a the local oiks a clip around the ear is long gone, along with chicks and birds. You need a highly mobile and well equipped force nowadays. The community officers were supposed to give local support to communities, but your party have cut numbers so much that that doesn’t happen as it should. Perhaps if we had a government full of “snowflakes” we would have the funding for the policing we need.

It's not hard to understand. Resources are at breaking point and any reallocation of existing resources would be a good thing, even if it's only a relatively small amount. I'm more than happy to look at how the police deal with other crimes more generally as well - and there's a discussion to be had about funding- but this is an example of inefficient use of police resources which is relevant to the discussion. The only reason I've made more than a couple of posts about it is because you and aintforever consider it to be controversial for some reason. Anyway it seems you agree with me that this sort of thing is largely nonsense so it seems we can move on.

And I suspect policing disorder at football games is a significantly bigger strain on resources (and not just on the police). Nobody is going to try to make a serious connection between that and the rise of community policing. Perhaps learn to separate the trivial from the substantial rather than get carried away with your pet peeves.

And I suspect policing disorder at football games is a significantly bigger strain on resources (and not just on the police). Nobody is going to try to make a serious connection between that and the rise of community policing. Perhaps learn to separate the trivial from the substantial rather than get carried away with your pet peeves.
Policing disorder at football is an entirely legitimate use of resources though. Given the history of actual crimes being committed and hooliganism etc, using the police to prevent violent disorder at the football seems like a sensible thing to do. Do you have some actual comparable examples of police resource waste?

On top of cuts, there's been a train of thought that I've seen from commentators and the media for a while that some forces have strayed from what the public want which is to be more of a visible presence and to concentrate on crime that the general public care most about. This is one small example of that (and you could argue the rise of community policing is at least partly due to this) and it points to a wider issue so not as trivial as you claim.

Edited by hypochondriac

Policing disorder at football is an entirely legitimate use of resources though. Given the history of actual crimes being committed and hooliganism etc, using the police to prevent violent disorder at the football seems like a sensible thing to do. Do you have some actual comparable examples of police resource waste?

Utterly bizarre reasoning. It’s a needless strain on police resources and, as in many other walks of life, there are strong arguments for making ‘polluters’ pay - in this case football clubs -many of which are awash in money in comparison. Allowing full cost recovery from clubs (or, at least, a better balance than exists today as clubs do what they can to wriggle out of responsibility for policing costs) would go much further than your tackling little obsession.

Edited by shurlock

Utterly bizarre reasoning. It’s a needless strain on police resources and, as in many other walks of life, there are strong arguments for making ‘polluters’ pay - in this case football clubs -many of which are awash in money in comparison. Allowing full cost recovery from clubs (or, at least, a better balance than exists today as clubs do what they can to wriggle out of responsibility for policing costs) would go much further than your tackling little obsession.
Seems reasonable to me. Maybe we could do all three- increase funding, make clubs pay for their own policing and look at poor allocation of existing funding. Agreed?

Ooooh big burly muscly ex-marines #americanbeauty

Watching the SE news earlier and there was a report on the council in Maidstone stopping the use of monitoring the CCTV cameras in real time due to the expense. Not great.

As a side note, they showed some old footage of some guys in white overalls and masks trying to smash in the window of a jeweller with sledgehammers. I was on my lunch break at the time and me and another guy chased them down the road. I had no idea what I thought I was going to do if I caught up with them but thankfully they jumped into a van a drive off before we found out.

The police did catch them though.

They stopped at a red light and were blocked in before the lights changed!

Watching the SE news earlier and there was a report on the council in Maidstone stopping the use of monitoring the CCTV cameras in real time due to the expense. Not great.

As a side note, they showed some old footage of some guys in white overalls and masks trying to smash in the window of a jeweller with sledgehammers. I was on my lunch break at the time and me and another guy chased them down the road. I had no idea what I thought I was going to do if I caught up with them but thankfully they jumped into a van a drive off before we found out.

All happens in Maidstone. Sounds like downtown Mosul

Who’s your favourite member of the Village People?

This is true pal, they do prioritse crime and leave some alone. Drive a car at 36 in a 30 at 4 In the morning, post a nasty tweet or look at someone funny before during or after a football match and they’re all over you, break into someone’s house or cause chaos on housing estates not so much.

Reminds me of the time Rodney Trotter chased the handbag snatcher.

This is true pal, they do prioritse crime and leave some alone. Drive a car at 36 in a 30 at 4 In the morning, post a nasty tweet or look at someone funny before during or after a football match and they’re all over you, break into someone’s house or cause chaos on housing estates not so much.

Learn to drive properly and stop being a ***t and you will be ok then.

Learn to drive properly and stop being a ***t and you will be ok then.

You’re right pal, I wish the guy I caught trying to break into my house a year ago, who had also burgled 6 other houses in our road and be allowed to carry on running riot had stopped acting like a c8nt or I wouldn’t have had to take the law into my own hands.

You’re right pal, I wish the guy I caught trying to break into my house a year ago, who had also burgled 6 other houses in our road and be allowed to carry on running riot had stopped acting like a c8nt or I wouldn’t have had to take the law into my own hands.

As I said, we get what we vote for. This country chose to pay less tax and have fewer police - you just have to accept that some crime will go unpunished.

Pretty sure most people have accepted this. Not sure you've noticed but the disagreement seems to be around which crimes are or aren't investigated.

Exactly.

How many times do you see reports of officers mincing around at LGBT events or getting down with the kids at the Notting Hill carnival. If the country did vote for more resources for the police, they wouldn’t be spent on proper coppering that’s for sure. I’ll never vote to give the pinko blob anymore of my money, taxes are too high as it is.

In an ideal world all crimes reported would be taken seriously and investigated. Whilst not up there with murder and sexual assault, burglary and mugging are horrible crimes that need to be dealt with. A guy over the road had someone cover his car with paint a few weeks back. That needs to be dealt with. It’s the start of a slippery slope when you say that certain crimes won’t be dealt with. The resources are being found to build a high speed rail link that many people think is a waste of money. Find the resources to enable the Criminal Justice System to adequately deal with crime in this country.

Exactly.

How many times do you see reports of officers mincing around at LGBT events or getting down with the kids at the Notting Hill carnival. If the country did vote for more resources for the police, they wouldn’t be spent on proper coppering that’s for sure. I’ll never vote to give the pinko blob anymore of my money, taxes are too high as it is.

No need to try so hard pal. You can be yourself here.

Pretty sure most people have accepted this. Not sure you've noticed but the disagreement seems to be around which crimes are or aren't investigated.

Not sure you've noticed but everyone is pretty much in agreement that serious crimes should be prioritised over minor hate crimes. I think you will find though that despite what you read in the Mail the proportion of resources used on these are relatively low, it’s just a side issue that’s highly publicised to get you gammons all frothing at the mouth.

Surely we should have enough resources to deal with hate crimes, which are obviously on the rise because of social media etc, and also adiquely deal with other crime. Just accepting that police won’t even bother with certain crimes is a bit defeatist.

I thought you Tories were supposed to be aspirational? Yet you are happy to let crime go unpunished for the sake of a few quid in tax.