Mario Lička or Zoltán Lipták

jawillwill

If you could have either player back at Southampton and back in their prime, which would you prefer?

Obviously we all remember the "St Mary's gets Licka Paint" headline on the OS. Did Zoltan ever have any similar highlights in his short time here?

I often wonder if either of these midfield dynamos would have flourished with us in the Premier League of they had stayed with us? I guess we will never know...

I often wonder if either of these midfield dynamos would have flourished with us in the Premier League of they had stayed with us? I guess we will never know...

Liptak was a CB so thats a lot of wasted worry time.

If forced to pick I go Liptak and I would play him in the ticket office as a front sweeper.

Licka was a pretty decent midfield option in the Championship, I thought. I certainly wished we’d been able to keep hold of him in 2008 instead of playing the likes of Gillett, Euell and Gasmi in midfield.
Yeah would have made a huge difference to that team[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember Licka joining us originally on trial. I was at a pre season friendly and thought I recognised him in the car park beforehand but wasn’t 100%, so my Dad yelled “Mario!” And lo and behold he came over to chat to us. I asked him if he’d signed a contract yet and he said “Yes I just sign for three years!”, grinning like a maniac. He then thanked us for saying hi. He was genuinely so happy to be at the club, and he’s been a cult hero in our family ever since.

I thought Licka was a decent enough player. He's also responsible for my most accurate ever Saints prediction. I was about 14 at the time and used to go to football school friends and we all used to do predictions in whatever fast food place we visited before each game. I remember this particular occasion, we played Stoke at home and I predicted 1-0 Saints with Licka to score around 50 minutes in (I think it was about 54' in the end).

Might not be the most 'out there' prediction to make but I don't usually get predictions right so Licka will always have a place in my heart for this lol!