Saints 1-2 Burnley - Reaction

Lighthouse

Vest absolute cack, but at least most are agreed on that.

Long was neither a nuisance to anybody, nor a good foil for Ings. He had zero impact on the game, and that's what you usually get from him. Handing him a new contract would be a terrible sign of our level of ambition.

As for the rest, unless Armstrong plays above himself, we've got no one in midfield who can pick as pass in the attacking third.

Burnley did exactly what they always do. Worked hard. Stayed in the game when we had some decent possession and ultimately we ran out of ideas again against them, not for the first time either. Frustrating but we need to stop losing these kind of games. Number one rule, if you can't win a game, make sure you don't bloody lose it. Everyting about today said said a score draw. All the players were playing the conditions which is fair enough, totally understandable. Don't lose the game FFS.

Patchy performance, we were good for most of he first half , but the injury to Boufal hurt us.

What the fork was McCarthy doing behind his line for the first goal ? I know the ball shouldn't have reached him, but what use is a keeper inside his own net ?

The winner was a good hit, but we had them pinned in a minute before until Long decided to foul his marker ! Forkwit !

Lets hope Redders is fit for next week .

Absolutely awful, at no point did we look like winning this. Should've just gave them the points and told them to **** off home. Absolute crap.

I think it's probably time to give Burnley some credit, they don't keep beating us 'by luck', they are better than us and have been for some years. You may not like their style, but at the end of the day it's getting them wins and points. They could've won it by more today after we put 3 up top, Burnley looked more the likely to score. We are regressing and badly need a win to steady the ship. ****e day, weekend ruined.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Time to demolish St Mary's and try again.

Nothing that drastic - we just need to get that white witch to renew her spell. Worked before (was it Hoddle?) so why not now?

And, yes we were sh*te and deserved to lose. Sure poor Ref and should have had the pen (not a question of how far the arm was, simple fact is the ball hitting arm prevented a goal scoring opportunity = pen), but it would not have made any difference. Hope the complacent board are happy now?

Long was neither a nuisance to anybody, nor a good foil for Ings. He had zero impact on the game, and that's what you usually get from him. Handing him a new contract would be a terrible sign of our level of ambition.

As for the rest, unless Armstrong plays above himself, we've got no one in midfield who can pick as pass in the attacking third.

Yeah. Long is useful in an away game when you are limited and want to make the most of what you've got.

As an attacking force ay home, we play with 9 men when Long and Hojbjerg are in the team.

Did we ever stop shipping daft goals?

Even if games we've won we've given away some stupid chances. Collapsed at Liverpool, outplayed spurs and conceded 3, could have conceded a hatful today to a team from the 90s.

90s?

That's generous.

Also don't forget throwing away 2-0 against Wolves.

Very poor games from Armstrong, Vesteraard, Long (why wasn't he replaced earlier?) and Djenepo. Once Boufal was hurt all creative threat disappeared and there never looked a way back from 2-1. The strike of Ings was the one highlight on a very average performance

I thought Burnley were terrible today, but we really didn’t cause many problems at all. Despite the weather we should have easily won today.

No desire for anyone other than ings to get on the end of a cross or to get a goal. All Very predictable nothing to come on and change the game.

A worrying performance.

Long really is an awful player - Ralph has really got this one wrong if there's a contract extension. Boufal has shown he can place a pass in attacking areas - Armstrong's touch and passing today were mediocre - he's really just a fast, direct runner - his touch isn't that good. Also disappointed in Djenepo today - seems to have lost the confidence to take the game on.

Disappointed but on the day we never looked like we knew what we were doing. Lots of huffing and puffing but with wingers that always cut back inside rather than going past people on the outside there was never a hope of getting decent balls into the box. The middle was far too crowded to create clear cut chances yet we persisted in doing only that right up until the final whistle. Djenepo doesn't seem any better than Redmond in that respect.

Surely it's time for Obafemi to show up, he gets so many chances to show his worth but only rarely does he create anything useful. I know Long gets a lot of stick but at least you can see that he is a wily old fox always thinking his way through the match whereas Obafemi just seems like a one-dimensional headless chicken. Adams is just plain lazy minded and is never quite up with the play.

Did we ever stop shipping daft goals?

Even if games we've won we've given away some stupid chances. Collapsed at Liverpool, outplayed spurs and conceded 3, could have conceded a hatful today to a team from the 90s.

We were solid under WGS, season we finished 8th

The manager went back to his early season tinkering broke up the centre back pairing and brought in the nearly mobile lighthouse, FFS why did he think that would work. it's not just his immobility it's his passing 5 forward and 43 sideways. McCarthy must take some of the blame his distribution is hopeless.

We had 64% possession and lost again. In the second half we were awful, negative and even in the last five minutes chasing the game we were passing sideways and backwards and still giving the ball away.

Most of these players and the manager/coaches are thick, thick overpaid multi millionaires but thick. What the hell was Ings thinking when he ducked out of the way. McCarthy totally unready for that. Great equaliser. We have only managed 11 points at home all season. The problem is the back four and midfield trying to slowly work the ball upfield or worse make ten passes to get it back to McCarthy.

Especially today we need to get the ball into the last third quickly, sod the accuracy, win the ball and pressurise the defenders. We were mugged by a really poor team because of our attempts at slow possession football which has punished us all season. FFS even our goal we lost the ball, Ings won it back and shot. Burnley had 6 shots on target, we had 2.

Djenepo had no idea, receive the ball, byeline clear, turn away inside and go backwards.

It's no good having quick forwards if the defenders are going to monopolise the ball. The players with the most passes from both sides were JWP, Vestergaard FFS and I think Stephens enough said. Until we cut out this stupid slow play at the back and put it into the forwards we are going to keep getting results like this. Unless it was a joke Leicester dodged a bullet with Vestergaard. That didn't mean Ralph had to pick him.

We look like a team that is well honed for one style of play (pressing/counter), but if the game isn't set up for that we haven't got much of an idea. Unfortunately this happens a lot when we're home to average sides.

I do think the conditions played a massive part when we were 2-1 down though. Burnley were organised and pressed at the right times, which required our players to play with a bit more guile and sharpness. But we didn't - players like Hojbjerg, Armstrong and Long will struggle with that anyway but the conditions made it even tougher.

Just back from the game.

'Typical Saints' territory... an excellent run of games where we were 2nd only to Liverpool in the form table then games like today. Ok, the weather made it a bit of a lottery, especially in the 2nd half, and they won it with a moment of individual good play, but that doesn't explain why we didn't play with the intensity and desire that took us to the aforementioned heights in December / January.

A draw would have been a fair result today as neither team shone but hey ho.

By the way, would be interested to know what was going through Ralph's mind when he picked Vestegaard over Bednarek. Not because one player might be considered better than the other but because the foundation of our recent good form was built on a solid and consistent defensive unit. So why make a seemingly unnecessary change to that unit, especially with a debutant at right back? Strange.

Today's result means we have to start looking below us again, however we're still as close to top 6 as we are the bottom 3 so some pivotal games coming up.

Edited by trousers

I don't normally post instant reactions, but here goes.

I understand why Vestergaard started, but it was wrong. I don't believe his height makes him a better counter to high balls than Bednarek, who is better in every aspect of defending. Hope the lesson has been learned. Would say Vestergaard was a major culprit for the second goal.

KWP had to be given a chance and was mainly decent. But shouldn't he have been covering the near post for the goal from the corner? Edit: now seen the replay and Ings certainly got it wrong. JWP is better, but we need him in midfield too. And, btw, thought he had an excellent game.

Losing first Redmond, then Boufal (who was having one of his best games) was critical.

Face it, playing creative football in those conditions is a nightmare, and defending balls pumped up into the wind a battle. Why the f*** do we always play Burnley in a rain-sodden gale? I'm convinced that on a dry, warm, calm day we would tear them apart.

We had good performances today. Armstrong was always looking for the killer pass and was so close several times. Ings was great. Not Long's best game and maybe Obafemi earlier would have been good. Djenepo didn't have Boufal's urgency or commitment. Stephens good on very difficult conditions. Hojbjerg and Bertrand ok.

Ref was poor. There were plenty of fouls that got nothing and cards weren't given. I thought the VAR pen was nailed-on.

But the real winner was the weather. For next week we need it dry and calm, Ralph to forget the Vestergaard experiment, Redmond and/or Boufal to recover and KWP to have learned from today

Bad day, but mainly the weather won. Conditions like today are a real leveller. We are way better than Burnley. If we get another day like today, we need to do a Man City and identify a crowd safety issue and get the game postponed to a decent day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

H

Assuming Ralph wants to stay, he needs to build a defence. One of Bednarek or Stephens fine, with a strong leader beside them. New RB, new LB if Bertrand wants out, and a new keeper who doesn't make the goal look huge all the time.

Plus a new midfielder to replace Romeu

and another if hoj does leave

Plus a new striker as we only have 1 that can score........

Exciting summer ahead, yes?

I know we’ve shipped a few goals in recent games, BUT Ralph has to

explain why he played Vestergaard! He was awful and gave the whole team (& crowd) the jitters every time he got near, or nowhere near the ball.

ok in the first half, very poor in the second against really shte opposition.

Missed Redmond and Boufal.

Obafemi really is poor.

still looking over our shoulders.

and the tubby ref, LOL

I know we’ve shipped a few goals in recent games, BUT Ralph has to

explain why he played Vestergaard! He was awful and gave the whole team (& crowd) the jitters every time he got near, or nowhere near the ball.

ok in the first half, very poor in the second against really shte opposition.

Missed Redmond and Boufal.

Obafemi really is poor.

still looking over our shoulders.

He explained pre match. In his opinion, Vest is better on the ball that Bednerak and he expected (correctly) that we’d have the lion share of the ball and his (supposed) ability on the ball would help us.

Who knows if he was right or wrong, none of our CB’s usually tend to cover themselves in glory defensively.

I don't normally post instant reactions, but here goes.

I understand why Vestergaard started, but it was wrong. I don't believe his height makes him a better counter to high balls than Bednarek, who is better in every aspect of defending. Hope the lesson has been learned. Would say Vestergaard was a major culprit for the second goal.

KWP had to be given a chance and was mainly decent. But shouldn't he have been covering the near post for the goal from the corner? JWP is better, but we need him in midfield too. And, btw, thought he had an excellent game.

Losing first Redmond, then Boufal (who was having one of his best games) was critical.

Face it, playing creative football in those conditions is a nightmare, and defending balls pumped up into the wind a battle. Why the f*** do we always play Burnley in a rain-sodden gale? I'm convinced that on a dry, warm, calm day we would tear them apart.

We had good performances today. Armstrong was always looking for the killer pass and was so close several times. Ings was great. Not Long's best game and maybe Obafemi earlier would have been good. Djenepo didn't have Boufal's urgency or commitment. Stephens good on very difficult conditions. Hojbjerg and Bertrand ok.

Ref was poor. There were plenty of fouls that got nothing and cards weren't given. I thought the VAR pen was nailed-on.

But the real winner was the weather. For next week we need it dry and calm, Ralph to forget the Vestergaard experiment, Redmond and/or Boufal to recover and KWP to have learned from today

Bad day, but mainly the weather won. Conditions like today are a real leveller. We are way better than Burnley. If we get another day like today, we need to do a Man City and identify a crowd safety issue and get the game postponed to a decent day.

He explained pre match. In his opinion, Vest is better on the ball that Bednerak and he expected (correctly) that we’d have the lion share of the ball and his (supposed) ability on the ball would help us.

Who knows if he was right or wrong, none of our CB’s usually tend to cover themselves in glory defensively.

I'm not sure I buy that, veest offers no confidence when he is on the ball near our goal.

I saw a lot of mistakes, but mainly it's his decision making. That 2nd goal, he can see he has no one on the LB side and his man has runoff him into the channel.

Hate to say it but both veest and hoj for me aren't worth either their record transfer fee or a big fat new contract in the summer.

Also Ings decision making in the first 2mins to leave that ball [emoji849] good job he scores for fun.

That is unadulterated ****ing rubbish. Apart from about five forward passes he got us in a tangle on loads of occasions with little short square or backward passes. My missus can jump higher than him he is an appalling defender. He is so ponderous it's untrue. Ralph got some decent results with a settled back four. Bringing in a debutant and leaving the rest of the four unchanged made sense but bringing in Vestergaard had consequences. it's not his job in a lower table side to be good on the ball. Our defenders need to be less of footballers and more of tough defenders. Win it and play it up to Ings and Long. Cut out the possession because we are hopeless at it and it destroys our tempo.

Vest is awful can't jump can't run can't tackle . Ings at fault for the first goal bit made amends and why did Hojbjerg take an age to shoot when he had the goal at his mercy? . Manager must take the lions share of the blame for not playing Bednarek and leaving the subs late (as he was in our poor run of form).

That is unadulterated ****ing rubbish. Apart from about five forward passes he got us in a tangle on loads of occasions with little short square or backward passes. My missus can jump higher than him he is an appalling defender. He is so ponderous it's untrue. Ralph got some decent results with a settled back four. Bringing in a debutant and leaving the rest of the four unchanged made sense but bringing in Vestergaard had consequences. it's not his job in a lower table side to be good on the ball. Our defenders need to be less of footballers and more of tough defenders. Win it and play it up to Ings and Long. Cut out the possession because we are hopeless at it and it destroys our tempo.
Yep. Agree with this. I don't agree Vestergaard is good on the ball. He's just bad at jumping, heading, tracking, tackling, blocking and reading the game

Ralph needs another wake-up moment so that never happens again. Cost us at least a point. And with Redmond out for a month or two, and maybe Boufal, goals will be harder to come by, do we need to make sure the defence is doing its job - defending.