Relegation battle

SKD

Jesus, we’re like 60-1 to go down.

Knock yourself out with an insurance bet, but the bookies obviously think we’re safe as houses.

Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league a few years back. The complacency is staggering. We aren’t a great team, we’re in bad form now and lose the next couple and we are right back in it.

We are not in a relegation battle in as much as watford , Bournemouth, West Ham and Aston Villa are nor are we safe - far from it . A few bad results and we will be right back in it . By the same token a few good results and we will be ok.

I have always said this side is a bottom 6 side , thanks to our good run over December and January we may even finish above the bottom 6.

With 31 points from 26 games if we go down then we would deserve too.

Very arrogant and complacent to say we aren’t in a relegation battle. We are in one, we’re in a great place not to go down but we are also in terrible form, can’t win at home and have bad habit of playing well and losing whist conceding pathetic goals.

Explain our terrible form please. Yes we lost today (terrible we all know) and against Spurs in the cup and the best PL team maybe ever (played quite well in both). However, prior to that we won 6, drew 2 and lost 1 in the previous 9. Its the usual negativity from some on here. Yes we're **** at home but we'll pick up enough points to be comfortably safe

Explain our terrible form please. Yes we lost today (terrible we all know) and against Spurs in the cup and the best PL team maybe ever (played quite well in both). However, prior to that we won 6, drew 2 and lost 1 in the previous 9. Its the usual negativity from some on here. Yes we're **** at home but we'll pick up enough points to be comfortably safe

Last 6, won 1, D 1, lost 4. In those games we’ve actually played well in 5 of 6 yet still conceded 12. Our draw was a last minute equalizer. If you think that’s good form then it says more about your football knowledge then fans negativity.

To be fair, it's a relevant question that Turkish asks. As quick as it was for us to get out of the relegation places over xmas / new year, with our current form we could as easily go the other way. Look at Bournemouth's decline, once you hit the slippery slope, it's difficult to get off, complacency would be suicidal right now.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

To be fair, it's a relevant question that Turkish asks. As quick as it was for us to get out of the relegation places over xmas / new year, with our current form we could as easily go the other way. Look at Bournemouth's decline, once you hit the slippery slope, it's difficult to get off, complacency would be suicidal right now.

Unfortunately many on here don’t like answering uncomfortable questions honestly. It gets dismissed as trolling.

How is it trolling to ask if 1 win in 6 is good form?
It was a joke. Get over it.

To answer your question, I'd say results have dipped, rather than performance, largely because of changes, forced or otherwise, to a settled team. If results=form, yes, our good run has ended, I hope only temporarily.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

It was a joke. Get over it.

To answer your question, I'd say results have dipped, rather than performance, largely because of changes, forced or otherwise, to a settled team. If results=form, yes, our good run has ended, I hope only temporarily.

Of course results = form. We’ve developed a bad habit of playing well and losing. Our defeat at anfield was the biggest defeat there for any club this season. We collapsed against wolves and spurs, yesterday was just poor. As I said many time during our good run and was shouted down, we were an average team with the same players who had got us in the mess in the first place playing at their maximum, it was never going to last. We won’t go down but we could easily be sucked back into it, so yes we are in a relegation battle.

Villa are (as it stands) 6 points behind us and with the same goal difference.

They play us next so could be 9 points behind us and in danger of being cut adrift if we beat them

Or they could beat the worst home team in the league and suddenly we're right in the mire again (with our only creative players injured for months).

Norwich are gone, but Villa and West Ham aren't absolutely awful. They're both more than capable of winning a couple more games than we do between now and May.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Villa are (as it stands) 6 points behind us and with the same goal difference.

They play us next so could be 9 points behind us and in danger of being cut adrift if we beat them

Or it could be 3 points behind and we’d be back to right in bang in trouble. With our home record I wouldn’t be shocked if it was.

Astonishing how complacent 90% of this forum is.

Or they could beat the worst home team in the league and suddenly we're right in the mire again (with our only creative players injured for months).

Norwich are gone, but Villa and West Ham aren't absolutely awful. They're both more than capable of winning a couple more games than we do between now and May.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Djenepo isn't injured. Armstrong isn't injured. They're both creative in different ways. It's been suggested Redmond is out for a month or two, but nothing on Boufal.

Our home record is poor, but what about Villa's away record? And if they're 9 points behind us, winning a couple more than us won't be enough.

Or it could be 3 points behind and we’d be back to right in bang in trouble. With our home record I wouldn’t be shocked if it was.

It beggars belief. We’ve taken 11 points at home all season and been terrible at home for 3 years. We’re now back to pre purple patch form and can very easily get sucked back into a proper relegation battle with a couple of weekend results going against us. I’m amazed at the complacency on here.

It beggars belief. We’ve taken 11 points at home all season and been terrible at home for 3 years. We’re now back to pre purple patch form and can very easily get sucked back into a proper relegation battle with a couple of weekend results going against us. I’m amazed at the complacency on here.

I amazed at how fearful some are....perpetually. We have loads of away games to play and genuinely can’t remember last time we were outplayed away from home, and normally a result will follow.

It's not complacent to say we wont be relegated. It's obvious we won't be. Edited by CB Fry

I amazed at how fearful some are....perpetually

No reason to be amazed. Life is always more rewarding if you predict failure rather than than success. By predicting failure you get a degree of satisfaction either way (i.e. you get to play your "told you so" card if said failure ends up occuring). Predicting success only gives you a degree of satisfaction if said success ends up as the outcome.

No reason to be amazed. Life is always more rewarding if you predict failure rather than than success. By predicting failure you get a degree of satisfaction either way (i.e. you get to play your "told you so" card if said failure ends up occuring). Predicting success only gives you a degree of satisfaction if said success ends up as the outcome.

Yeah but never happy. Always having a drink before a game I think we will win. I am rarely right of course but all’s right with world at that point full of optimism. 4.45pm is another thing altogether

People are just hoping for some excitement.

We'll win a few, concede a lot and probably get about 42 points.

Yeah we will limp over the line. There's been an upturn in form, but only temporary. We still have the same limited group of players we started the season with. Even at our worst we had about 9 points from the first 11/12 games so we will be fine, especially with our fixtures. Would expect 3 wins and a couple of draws. Considering we looked doomed going into December I'd be fine with this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No one is complacent just realistic

Or people look at it how it is.

7 points isn’t a massive buffer when you play 3rd and 4th from bottom in the next two fixtures and have a home record as bad as ours.

I actually think we’ll stay up.. just. But the outright arrogance and complacency to assume we’re up and to weaken a already very limited squad is ridiculous. Especially when your whole business plan of being self sustainable relies on being in the PL.

Yes,

And realistic that we could win them too, that's Saints right now

So until the points are on the board, it’s realistic to assume that we are not safe.... right?

The next 2 games will shape the end of our season.

7 points isn’t a massive buffer when you play 3rd and 4th from bottom in the next two fixtures and have a home record as bad as ours.

Villa have an equally awful away record. Ergo, I guess there are as many pessimistic, sorry "realistic", Villa fans doubting their likelihood of winning this one as there are Saints fans.

Me? (a) I hope we win (b) I'm predicting we'll win © it wouldn't surprise me if we lose

None of these stances are mutually exclusive.

Last 6, won 1, D 1, lost 4. In those games we’ve actually played well in 5 of 6 yet still conceded 12. Our draw was a last minute equalizer. If you think that’s good form then it says more about your football knowledge then fans negativity.

And 3 of the losses....Spurs away, Liverpool away, and Wolves at home. We'll be fine as much as it annoys you

And 3 of the losses....Spurs away, Liverpool away, and Wolves at home. We'll be fine as much as it annoys you

Spurs away we collapsed, wolves home we collapsed, Liverpool away was their biggest league home win of the season, then there was burnley. But yesy its all fine and it just me wanting us to fail. :mcinnes:

Villa have an equally awful away record. Ergo, I guess there are as many pessimistic, sorry "realistic", Villa fans doubting their likelihood of winning this one as there are Saints fans.

Me? (a) I hope we win (b) I'm predicting we'll win © it wouldn't surprise me if we lose

None of these stances are mutually exclusive.

Matt Target is coming back, I'm saying no more, you know what happens next...! It'll be a headline writer's dream.

Extremely naive or just blind optimism to assume we are not in the mix at the moment.

So until the points are on the board, it’s realistic to assume that we are not safe.... right?

The next 2 games will shape the end of our season.

Totally agree.

Having come out of our purple patch I dread slipping back the other way, but injuries and calamitous defending yesterday is not encouraging. Come through the next two unscathed and things will look more positive.

We are now about 33/1 to go down. It could happen. But it would be the worst collapse imaginable - even by our standards.

Someone said earlier "yeah, but Leicester were 5,000/1 to win the Premier League"

That's true, but they weren't 5,000/1 with 12 games to go.

Yep. It's possible for us to go down but very unlikely. Even if we get 7 points from our next ten games which would be awful we'd be virtually safe with a couple of games to go.

Redmond out for between 1 and 2 months. I've got a feeling we'll lose Ings at some point in the next few weeks and then we'll be right up **** street.

While not first choice at the start of the season and bar the odd game since when he’s been rested, Ings hasn’t missed a game through injury all season and looks fitter than ever. Yes his reputation for injuries is well known but it’s more likely we lose any other first XI than him currently, so that’s an odd feeling to have.

Yes it sucks we’ve lost Redmond, not that his stats have been great this season but he’s important to the way we play, and yes it’s worrying we’ve seemingly also lost Boufal at the same time after a decent performance, but it would take a **** up of epic proportions even we would be surprised to achieve to get relegated. We have some favourable fixtures compared to teams below us for the rest of the season. A couple of key injuries have unnerved people but it’s time for the rest of the squad to stand up and be counted.