Relegation battle

SKD

Happy to say we are no longer in a relegation battle (unless we lose next week and we could get dragged back).

Weird, both times we’ve played villa they’ve been dreadful, when I’ve seen them on the box they’ve not looked too bad, but on today’s display they won’t win another game.

Happy to say we are no longer in a relegation battle (unless we lose next week and we could get dragged back).

Weird, both times we’ve played villa they’ve been dreadful, when I’ve seen them on the box they’ve not looked too bad, but on today’s display they won’t win another game.

No we can't. Not a chance will Bournemouth be catching us from this position. Also not a chance will all of Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, villa west ham and Watford get enough points to get above us. We need something like 4 points from 11 games to guarantee it which would be I think our worst form since promotion. Not going to happen. Safe, safe, safe.

One week and one win after starting this moronic thread.

Some absolute planks on this forum.

100% - "if we lose next week we'll be dragged back in". This is the ultimate comment in stupidity. We are 10 points clear of relegation with 11 games left. There's a reason teams are at the bottom with less than a point a game....

100% - "if we lose next week we'll be dragged back in". This is the ultimate comment in stupidity. We are 10 points clear of relegation with 11 games left. There's a reason teams are at the bottom with less than a point a game....

No we won’t. We need to average a little more than half a point a game to get to 40 points now. It probably won’t even take that much, one win and a draw could easily be enough. A loss today though and to be on 31 points losing at home to one of the worst teams in the league and it’d had been very different and much more pressure. We were in a relegation battle last week, albeit in a very good position to not go down but today’s win has put a totally different perspective on the run in and we are as good as safe.

Is too early for this thread to be used for the 2020/21 season ?

This of course is making the bold assumption that Gao doesn't invest in the team over the summer and improve the squad.

It’s not good business to sign players when we already have players pal

It will be extraordinarily unlikely given where we are now and who we have to play, but it doesn't take much to be sucked in out of no where.

There are still some weaknesses in t his squad and it doesn't' take more than a couple of results to be sucked back into a rut, but if we're honest I think we have enough to get the 6 points need over the next 4 months. If we don't, then I don't think we'll be worrying about keeping Ralph....

Dragged back in?!

If we lose ALL our remaining games, with a GD of -20, that would have kept us up last season. Put your feet up and enjoy the football. We’ll be in the mid 40s on the last day of the season whilst the teams in the actual battle are fighting over 35-37 points.

I don't think a lot of the experts on here have actually played the game. Getting picked last in PE probably led to a life trolling on a forum. A few should also have paid attention in math class too. Were probably still seething and plotting revenge after being left on the sidelines with the fat wheezy boys.

Dragged back in?!

If we lose ALL our remaining games, with a GD of -20, that would have kept us up last season. Put your feet up and enjoy the football. We’ll be in the mid 40s on the last day of the season whilst the teams in the actual battle are fighting over 35-37 points.

Mid 50s. Aim high

Had we lost today and the gap between us and villa was 3 points, would we have been in a relegation battle?

There’s a big difference between 3 and 9 points. Think about what you’re saying, you plank.

I don't think a lot of the experts on here have actually played the game. Getting picked last in PE probably led to a life trolling on a forum. A few should also have paid attention in math class too. Were probably still seething and plotting revenge after being left on the sidelines with the fat wheezy boys.

:lol::lol::lol:

Who’s the sad ones, the ones fishing or the ones biting.....

Had we lost today and the gap between us and villa was 3 points, would we have been in a relegation battle?

There’s a big difference between 3 and 9 points. Think about what you’re saying, you plank.

I said last week we wouldn't go down, before this match had been played. It was obvious we weren't going down and here we are, we're not going down. If we had lost today I'd still be saying it.

I look forward to seeing you absolutely sh ite your pants all over again if the unfortunate event of us losing to WHU happens next week.

#draggedbackin

#plank

Edited by CB Fry

:lol::lol::lol:

Who’s the sad ones, the ones fishing or the ones biting.....

Picked last eh?

We will not be “dragged back in” no matter how much you say it. We went through this with Dalek a few years back, it’s not just the points difference but the number of teams below us. They can’t all go on a run, they have to play each other.

Until the points are on the board, your not safe. Simple as that really.

Fortunately, we have a very very very good manager who can get an extra 50% out of our limited squad.

So at start of the season Liverpool and Man City are in a relegation fight?

Lol... You should stick to the nonsense about Bertrand "definitely" leaving ,at least that will be right one day :lol:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Is too early for this thread to be used for the 2020/21 season ?

This of course is making the bold assumption that Gao doesn't invest in the team over the summer and improve the squad.

The owner does have the final say on how the club's money is used but let's not confuse 'investment' with 'expenditure'. Investment is not expenditure because you expect to get invested money back, with a profit. Expenditure is just that; money spent and gone. It can only be replaced by earning more income. The club can spend it's income but financial Fair Play, as far as it's effective, is intended to have stopped the wild spending as we saw in the early days of Abramovich, buying a club and recruiting players without limits. Man City are now facing some retribution with a two-year ban from the Champions League. Financial fair play is a long way from restoring a fair competition but our owner is still unable to pump his own money into the team without regard for the consequences.

So at start of the season Liverpool and Man City are in a relegation fight?

Are you comparing us to Liverpool and Man City :lol::lol::lol:

Poor argument there buddy. Let’s take West Ham as an example though, yes, until you have the points on the board, you are not safe.

If the season started now, all teams on 0 with 11 games to decide everything, I'd still bet on Saints being midtable and well ahead of Bournemouth, West Ham and Villa.

Youre assuming that our recent form (mid Dec to Mid Feb) will continue and we have an outside of Europe

While I suspect SKD watched the Burnley game and felt it was more aligned to our early season form (Aug to Mid Dec) where we were dreadful and was looking down not up the table

some feel we have turned a corner (potential for Europe) others think the early season form could return (could we get dragged back)

im somewhere in the middle. Think we will get enough to stay up but won’t challenge the top 6. A mix of early and mid season form.

Youre assuming that our recent form (mid Dec to Mid Feb) will continue and we have an outside of Europe

While I suspect SKD watched the Burnley game and felt it was more aligned to our early season form (Aug to Mid Dec) where we were dreadful and was looking down not up the table

some feel we have turned a corner (potential for Europe) others think the early season form could return (could we get dragged back)

im somewhere in the middle. Think we will get enough to stay up but won’t challenge the top 6. A mix of early and mid season form.

No, I'm assuming that we're not one of the bottom 3 or even bottom 8 teams in this League. There's not one team below us I genuinely believe to be better than Saints and I think we're better than Burnley and Sheff Utd, in spite of the head to head against the former.

If our early season form returns (and I can't think of any reason why it should, we don't even play the same formation) we'll end up about 14/15th.

No, I'm assuming that we're not one of the bottom 3 or even bottom 8 teams in this League. There's not one team below us I genuinely believe to be better than Saints and I think we're better than Burnley and Sheff Utd, in spite of the head to head against the former.

If our early season form returns (and I can't think of any reason why it should, we don't even play the same formation) we'll end up about 14/15th.

You what ? Amazing :lol:

They are only 4 and 6 points above us. That really isn't much. They are above us due to playing well as a unit throughout the entire season, not individual quality. Squad for squad, Saints have the more talented footballers. If we had been playing 4-2-2-2 for the entire season I don't think it is unreasonable to think we'd be above both of them given the current small gap.

You what ? Amazing [emoji38]
Not really. They're a few points above us but we've beaten SU away and had the misfortune to play Burnley twice in conditions that totally favoured their game.

It's not just about the talent of individuals. All three teams play as a team and we've improved massively in that respect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We ditched the 5-3-2 after the home defeat to Everton, at which point we were 19th/bottom (forget which) on 8 points from 12 games. At that same point The Blades were on 17 points. In other words, since we changed to 4-2-2-2 we've scored 3 points more in 15 games.

Burnley clearly employ some sort of Shaman or witch doctor, who has summoned a typhoon to play in both times we've played them. Without that, we'd probably have managed a draw in at least one game and be level in the table.

So yes, I do think we're better

40 points is often seen as the safety benchmark. but not always necessary. Saint's record in recent years has been as below, with two years of squeaky bum time but still safe on less than 40 points. .

2016 6th - 63 points

2017 8th - 46 points

2018 17th - 36 points

2019 16th - 39 points

2020 12th - 34 points from 27 games (11 to go)

On form, we shouldn't lose at West Ham on Saturday but even if we did, we aren't going to go from an average of 1.25% points per game, to nil. We haven't been in the relegation struggle for some time, despite some disappointing results in February but because we are football fans, many of us will fear the worst until it's mathematically impossible to go down. It's still interesrting to watch the forunes of the threatened clubs. For me, I hope that Brighton and Bournemouth both survive. Having three south coast teams at the top level is something that at one time, I'd never have expected.

The number of points needed to survive is dropping quickly as we move into the last few fixtures and the bottom 4/5 continue to struggle. Last week Sporting Stats suggested that Saints needed 42 points to have 1% chance of relegation, but now it suggests that is 40 points. I expect the points total to continue to fall. In my view, we probably need 37/38 points.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

The number of points needed to survive is dropping quickly as we move into the last few fixtures and the bottom 4/5 continue to struggle. Last week Sporting Stats suggested that Saints needed 42 points to have 1% chance of relegation, but now it suggests that is 40 points. I expect the points total to continue to fall. In my view, we probably need 37/38 points.

18th place currently has 25 points from 27 games. Less than a point per game!

Over a 38 game season that points per game ratio would equal 33.7 points.

We ditched the 5-3-2 after the home defeat to Everton, at which point we were 19th/bottom (forget which) on 8 points from 12 games. At that same point The Blades were on 17 points. In other words, since we changed to 4-2-2-2 we've scored 3 points more in 15 games.

Burnley clearly employ some sort of Shaman or witch doctor, who has summoned a typhoon to play in both times we've played them. Without that, we'd probably have managed a draw in at least one game and be level in the table.

So yes, I do think we're better

Burnley beat us 5-1 over two games this season We haven’t beaten them in our last 7 matches against them and they’ve finished above us the last 3 season, in what world does that make us us better than them? :lol:

Burnley beat us 5-1 over two games this season We haven’t beaten them in our last 7 matches against them and they’ve finished above us the last 3 season, in what world does that make us us better than them? :lol:

In the same way that when we got promoted, Bristol City beat us home and away and narrowly avoided relegation.

Imagine the grief this forum would

Give another set of fans if they claimed to be better than saints despite finishing below us 3 years in a row, beating them home and away 5-1 across two games this season and not beating us for 7 games over three years :lol:

How many of their players would you want in our starting eleven playing Hasenhuttl style football and not Dyche style football?

What’s that got to do with it? They play a different style to us and it works for them.

If anybody said to someone one team hadn’t beaten the other in 7 games, finished below them 3 years in a row, were below them now and lost both games against them this season by an aggregate score of 5-1 only an utter loon would say the team with the worse end of results was better.

BTW I want us to be better than Burnley too, doesn’t mean we are.