Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 371

Thread: Relegation battle

  1. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    It’s not the same way at all. We’ve not beaten Burnley or finished above them for 3 seasons.
    How many of their players would you want in our starting eleven playing Hasenhuttl style football and not Dyche style football?

  2. #152

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    How many of their players would you want in our starting eleven playing Hasenhuttl style football and not Dyche style football?
    Whatís that got to do with it? They play a different style to us and it works for them.

    If anybody said to someone one team hadnít beaten the other in 7 games, finished below them 3 years in a row, were below them now and lost both games against them this season by an aggregate score of 5-1 only an utter loon would say the team with the worse end of results was better.

    BTW I want us to be better than Burnley too, doesnít mean we are.

  3. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    What’s that got to do with it? They play a different style to us and it works for them.
    Ok... regardless of style... which of their players would you want in out starting eleven?

    I guess people would make a case for... Pope, Mee, Tarkowski. But anyone else?

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Does anybody know how many years it is since we finished above Burnley, or how many games it is since we’ve beaten them?

  5. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Ok... regardless of style... which of their players would you want in out starting eleven?

    I guess people would make a case for... Pope, Mee, Tarkowski. But anyone else?
    I still donít see what relevance that has, but Iíd have their whole back 4 and keeper. And (other than ings) their 4 strikers are probably better ours.

    If you asked them how many of our players would they take, how many would they say? Probably about the same as us.

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Does anybody know how many years it is since we finished above Burnley, or how many games it is since we’ve beaten them?
    Well it’s kind of relevant when you come out with ridiculous, bordering arrogant, statements like you did.

    Ask anyone, I mean anyone, who’s been the better team this season and 100% of people will say Shef Utd. As for Burnley, the stats speak for themselves.

  7. #157

    Default Relegation battle

    Burnley are a sh1thouse team getting plaudits as did Stoke with an effective style of play. They will go soon and be quickly forgotten.

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Well it’s kind of relevant when you come out with ridiculous, bordering arrogant, statements like you did.

    Ask anyone, I mean anyone, who’s been the better team this season and 100% of people will say Shef Utd. As for Burnley, the stats speak for themselves.
    You're just trying to ridicule other opinions to distract people from your own posts.

    Since we changed our formation, we've outscored Sheff. Utd by 3 points and Burnley by 4. They both made hay whilst the sun was shining earlier in the season but since mid November I think we've been the better team. I don't care what has gone on in previous seasons, I think we're better now.

    If you're bothered, I also think Arsenal are better than Sheff. Utd and Burnley but I'm just a ridiculous, arrogant Gunners fan. In fact Everton probably are too.
    Last edited by Lighthouse; 25-02-2020 at 09:42 AM.

  9. #159

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Football is all about winning and the three points. If you can do that in an entertaining way it is a bonus. There is not one person here who wouldn’t have traded a few wins in our poor patch for crap football earlier in the season. Burnley do what they need to do to survive and they are good at it. It is down to teams to beat them. They will go down eventually, but then so will many teams outside the top six.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    18th place currently has 25 points from 27 games. Less than a point per game!

    Over a 38 game season that points per game ratio would equal 33.7 points.
    I don't have any stats on this, but I'm willing to bet money on the fact that the points per game average picks up significantly for most struggling teams in the final 10 games (look at our record in recent years for evidence).

    Some teams totally underperform, but when it really matters they put together a run of form to see them safe.

    In summary, I expect 34 points would not see any team safe this season.

  11. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunglasses Ron View Post
    I don't have any stats on this, but I'm willing to bet money on the fact that the points per game average picks up significantly for most struggling teams in the final 10 games (look at our record in recent years for evidence).

    Some teams totally underperform, but when it really matters they put together a run of form to see them safe.

    In summary, I expect 34 points would not see any team safe this season.
    You could stay up with 34 points in...

    2018/19
    2017/18
    2016/17

    The last 3 seasons!

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunglasses Ron View Post
    I don't have any stats on this, but I'm willing to bet money on the fact that the points per game average picks up significantly for most struggling teams in the final 10 games (look at our record in recent years for evidence).

    Some teams totally underperform, but when it really matters they put together a run of form to see them safe.

    In summary, I expect 34 points would not see any team safe this season.
    Just had a look at that, Cardiff, Brighton and Fulham all got 9 points from their last 11 games last season. I think a couple of the teams down the bottom will start to pick up but not all of the bottom 5.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    You could stay up with 34 points in...

    2018/19
    2017/18
    2016/17

    The last 3 seasons!
    Yeah I appreciate that, but definitely wouldn't want to take a chance on it! I reckon 34 points would very likely see you relegated in this current season.

  14. #164

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Does anybody know how many years it is since we finished above Burnley, or how many games it is since we’ve beaten them?
    Yes! But then they are FACTs pal, unfortunately a lot of people on here donít seem to like them.

  15. #165

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Ok... regardless of style... which of their players would you want in out starting eleven?

    I guess people would make a case for... Pope, Mee, Tarkowski. But anyone else?
    It isnít regardless of style because you sign players to play a style. As has already been said their keeper and whole back four are better than ours and Iíd say two of their strikers would get in our team ahead of Long

    Aside from all that anyway itís a ridiculous claim, almost as funny as when you once said we had more match going fans than Everton despite is never having a season where weíve had a bigger average crowd

  16. #166

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Yes! But then they are FACTs pal, unfortunately a lot of people on here don’t seem to like them.
    Don't care about previous seasons (it's 2, not 3 by the way). Since we stopped farting around with 5-3-2 and Danso at LB we've outscored them. In my opinion we're better than Burnley. If you disagree, well it's a football forum, so isn't that just lovely.

    I suspect you understand my point perfectly and you're just after an argument, so I'll leave you and MLG to it.

  17. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Ok... regardless of style... which of their players would you want in out starting eleven?

    I guess people would make a case for... Pope, Mee, Tarkowski. But anyone else?
    Anyone else Think McNeil gets in our side

  18. #168

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Don't care about previous seasons (it's 2, not 3 by the way). Since we stopped farting around with 5-3-2 and Danso at LB we've outscored them. In my opinion we're better than Burnley. If you disagree, well it's a football forum, so isn't that just lovely.

    I suspect you understand my point perfectly and you're just after an argument, so I'll leave you and MLG to it.
    I do understand your point perfectly. But itís wrong, look back at the last few seasons, look at this season, there is nothing to suggest we are a better team other than the fact weíve been on a good run and beaten a few other teams, but still lost against them, in the last couple of months. I want us to be better than Burnley too but we arenít.

  19. #169

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    Anyone else Think McNeil gets in our side
    What are his FM stats? We need to talk in a language he understands

  20. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    Anyone else Think McNeil gets in our side
    I'd rather have Redmond and Armstrong

  21. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I'd rather have Redmond and Armstrong

  22. #172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    Not sure why that is so funny?

  23. #173

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Not sure why that is so funny?
    Neither am I. Some posters seem determined to stick to the contention that all our players are rubbish.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  24. #174

    Default

    There are some loons on here who don't rate Redmond.

  25. #175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    There are some loons on here.
    Fixed it for you

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Just had a look at that, Cardiff, Brighton and Fulham all got 9 points from their last 11 games last season. I think a couple of the teams down the bottom will start to pick up but not all of the bottom 5.
    Haha well that puts my theory to bed then ��

  27. #177

    Default

    So who's going down then? Norwich look dead and buried but as we know better than most this season, a string of decent results can do wonders (conversely if you're Watford, a string of good results can get you... 19th).

    I think Newcastle and up are safe, leaving Norwich, Watford, West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth and Brighton.

    Norwich, Villa and Brighton heading down for me. Much prefer West Ham to go down than Brighton though.

  28. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Not sure why that is so funny?
    I like Redmond, decent player.. but McNeil is going to be quality and is already better than Redmond

  29. #179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    I like Redmond, decent player.. but McNeil is going to be quality and is already better than Redmond
    Dwight McNeil isn't already better than Redmond.

  30. #180

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igsey View Post
    So who's going down then? Norwich look dead and buried but as we know better than most this season, a string of decent results can do wonders (conversely if you're Watford, a string of good results can get you... 19th).

    I think Newcastle and up are safe, leaving Norwich, Watford, West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth and Brighton.

    Norwich, Villa and Brighton heading down for me. Much prefer West Ham to go down than Brighton though.
    I think West Ham will drag themselves out of it. They've got enough talent who, when they can be arsed, will just about do enough to get them safe.

    I'd say Norwich, Watford (who's new manager bounce has well and truly gone) and Villa for the drop personally.

  31. Default

    To contribute to an utterly pointless debate; Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, McNeil, Cork, Barnes, Wood, J-Rod all get in our match day squad and most would start. IMO.

  32. #182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintwbu View Post
    To contribute to an utterly pointless debate; Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, McNeil, Cork, Barnes, Wood, J-Rod all get in our match day squad and most would start. IMO.
    Cork no, Barnes no, Wood no, Jayson-Rodrigo no. McNeil not yet ahead of Redders.

  33. #183

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    Cork no, Barnes no, Wood no, Jayson-Rodrigo no. McNeil not yet ahead of Redders.
    Are you suggesting 2 goal a season Shane long will keep our Barnes?


    Fair enough

  34. #184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Are you suggesting 2 goal a season Shane long will keep our Barnes?


    Fair enough
    Well RH wants quick strikers who can run in behind, so probably yes.

  35. #185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Are you suggesting 2 goal a season Shane long will keep our Barnes?


    Fair enough
    Except he has 4 this season so unlike you to be wrong


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Except he has 4 this season so unlike you to be wrong


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heíll wipe it from his memory when Barnes is playing in the Championship in a couple of years times.

  37. #187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Well RH wants quick strikers who can run in behind, so probably yes.
    Question was regardless of style.

  38. #188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    He’ll wipe it from his memory when Barnes is playing in the Championship in a couple of years times.
    If Adams was even half as good as we expected him to be, Long would be playing in the championship next season. What’s your point?

  39. #189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    If Adams was even half as good as we expected him to be, Long would be playing in the championship next season. What’s your point?
    I'm puzzled at why you think that would happen.

  40. #190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    If Adams was even half as good as we expected him to be, Long would be playing in the championship next season. What’s your point?
    Adams has shown to me that he may well become a decent forward for us. The little I have seen of him has been pretty good, with good ability to see and set up a chance. He has also been pretty unlucky with a couple f chances with the ball being kept out by great saves or a block

  41. #191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I'm puzzled at why you think that would happen.
    What, why Long would be playing in the championship? Because he doesnít score any goals buddy, itís not really that puzzling, is it..

    Donít get me wrong, I like long, I like his work rate, I like the work he does outside the box, but letís not pretend that a striker who scores a 1-5 goals a season is good enough to cut it in the PL. itís lucky that Ings has been as good in front of goal as he has been, otherwise weíd have been right in the sh!t... and thatís in part to no other striker scoring goals.

  42. #192

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    What, why Long would be playing in the championship? Because he doesn’t score any goals buddy, it’s not really that puzzling, is it..

    Don’t get me wrong, I like long, I like his work rate, I like the work he does outside the box, but let’s not pretend that a striker who scores a 1-5 goals a season is good enough to cut it in the PL. it’s lucky that Ings has been as good in front of goal as he has been, otherwise we’d have been right in the sh!t... and that’s in part to no other striker scoring goals.
    Long has scored as many as JRod this season. Does it really matter who scores so long as you win? He does more than enough work to justify his place in the Premier league.

  43. #193

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    So the general consensus seems to be at least half of burnleys team get in ours, along with the other facts and evidence do we still think we’re better then them?

  44. #194

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Long has scored as many as JRod this season. Does it really matter who scores so long as you win? He does more than enough work to justify his place in the Premier league.
    Eh? Rodriguez has scored 8 in all competitions long has scored 3

  45. #195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Long has scored as many as JRod this season. Does it really matter who scores so long as you win? He does more than enough work to justify his place in the Premier league.
    Burnley have won more game than us

  46. #196

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    So the general consensus seems to be at least half of burnleys team get in ours, along with the other facts and evidence do we still think we’re better then them?
    At the start of the season, playing 5-3-2, absolutely not.
    Now, playing 4-2-2-2 and having outscored them since we changed, yes.

    I don’t care about individuals. They have their system, we have ours. I believe over a whole season and without a typhoon hitting both our games, we’d get more points.

  47. #197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    At the start of the season, playing 5-3-2, absolutely not.
    Now, playing 4-2-2-2 and having outscored them since we changed, yes.

    I donít care about individuals. They have their system, we have ours. I believe over a whole season and without a typhoon hitting both our games, weíd get more points.
    How many have we conceded in that time? Genuine question, as itís a pretty important bit of info to that argument.

  48. #198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Burnley have won more game than us
    You still banging on about Burnley. Did you love Stoke a few years ago?

  49. #199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    So the general consensus seems to be at least half of burnleys team get in ours, along with the other facts and evidence do we still think weíre better then them?
    Consensus means fck all here. Lucky to even beat Bournemouth at the weekend.

  50. #200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    You still banging on about Burnley. Did you love Stoke a few years ago?
    Of course I’m going to mention Burnley, when the question was directly about Long and Jay-Rod / their strikers. Not going to start mentioning Norwich’s record when it’s completely irrelevant am I... top input though fella

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •