Villa build up

whelk

Don't know why people keep wanting us to play Long against teams that sit back. Understandable away from home or at home against the big clubs but he offers nothing in games like these.
Who else are we going to play? Adams literally offers nothing. And Obafemi has been extremely disappointing since his "breakthrough" goal at Chelsea.

It'd be great if we had better options than Long, but we haven't.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Who else are we going to play? Adams literally offers nothing. And Obafemi has been extremely disappointing since his "breakthrough" goal at Chelsea.

Yeah, former Birmingham player Che Adams. Can't think why he wouldn't be extra motivated to prove himself against Villa. Total mystery.

Yeah, former Birmingham player Che Adams. Can't think why he wouldn't be extra motivated to prove himself against Villa. Total mystery.

Cos it’s only motivation that you need.

Nice to think he can be arsed to score a goal this weekend

Cos it’s only motivation that you need.

Nice to think he can be arsed to score a goal this weekend

In my view he is a good deal better than Obafemi and needs a decent chance, rather than five minutes when the game is gone. Give him a run in the team. He needs some decent man management, which is not Ralph's strong point IMO

In my view he is a good deal better than Obafemi and needs a decent chance, rather than five minutes when the game is gone. Give him a run in the team. He needs some decent man management, which is not Ralph's strong point IMO

My god!! you are utterly clueless, bringing a squad back from virtual oblivion after the Leicester debacle shows that it clearly is a strong point.

You have taken the most negative poster "accolade" hands down

I'd give him an extended run too. Hopefully we are safe in the next five games and then we can play him regularly until the end of the season.

Team picks itself really:

Mcarthy

Valery, Stephens, Bednarak, Bertrand

Armstrong, JWP, Hojberg, Djenepo

Ings, Long

Subs: Gunn, Vestergaard, Romeu, Obafemi, Adams, Smallbone, Danso

Think it will be a tough game; worst home record v second worst away record. Hopefully they will be slightly distracted by their League Cup Final next weekend.

Must not lose, but I don't see many sides below us picking up much. West Ham away to Liverpool, Watford away to Utd, Bmouth away to Burnley.

It's a 6 pointer and a win for us would really help us cut away from bottom 5 or 6

Lose it and we are dragged back into things, possibly with some panic.

Remember Swansea picking up just 1 win (6 points) in the last 11-12 fixtures....

Worst case would we stay up on 37 points?

I actually think they will beat us.

Not sure they’ll win. But it could be a nervy afternoon. They will bring loads down which will only amplify the restlessness of our support and pressure on the side if we don’t start brightly.

Edited by shurlock

I seem to recall the last time they were in a cup final following a match with us. We beat them 6-1 and Schlong got two crackers. Same day as Mane's fastest hat trick. I honestly can't see us losing this tomorrow.

I think that was the best day in the league as a Saints fan since our return to the Premier League. Even better than beating Sunderland 8-0. Everything just seemed to be good for us back then...

Am worried about this. No Boufal or Redmond so creativity with the ball on the ground severely restricted - have liked Djenpo but he looked terrible against Burnley - Mings is back for them - KWP out already!! (need some pace to stick with Grealish)...Valery hasn't played since goodness knows when. Vestergard a proven liability. Bednarek wouldn't have been left out if there wasn't a niggle or something with him - is he fully fit? Tons of away supporters filling their quota for Cup Final tickets...our complete inability to win at home.

We need a fast start and Grealish to be holding back / locked in cotton wool / have a dousie. I would definitely play Che Adams for this one and abandon our play some more direct long balls up the park for him to hold up and harry.

Adams... he's a better striker than Long.

I seem to recall the last time they were in a cup final following a match with us. We beat them 6-1 and Schlong got two crackers. Same day as Mane's fastest hat trick. I honestly can't see us losing this tomorrow.

You've been paying attention to our home performances right?

Half the Burnley team stubbed their toes on him last week.

Clumsy or dirty, that's what happens when second rate journeymen who have no right to play in the best league in the world are up against really talented ball players. Seems to be their mentality to stop them at all cost and take them out of the game as a bonus. It amazes me that Danny Ings is still standing.

Quite pleased that the Sussex rivers are too high for me to risk crossing them to to the match. Surely, we'll win this one, but a draw or defeat would be so depressing that I can't face the possibility of a miserable drive home. I've been a Saints' supporter long enough to have watched defeats, right back to Third Division days but the home form now, against sides we should easily be competing with, is beginning to get me down.

It'll be interesting to see the line-up. Ralph's pre-match comments suggest to me that, rather than bring Valery in, he might move Stephens to RB. Not an easy decision because Stephens and Bednarek seem to have been the more reliable centre pair, but depends on whether he thinks Yan is ready for a return. At least I can follow the action from the comfort of a chair at home without facing the rotten weather we've got outside, over this way. I can see I'm not alone as the club are still pushing tickets. I sincerely hope those of you going to the game are rewarded with a good win and not just by 1-goal, which that leaves everyone on tenterhooks to the final whistle.

We're going to have a problem in midfield. Smallbone is as lightweight little Jake Hesketh and doesn't do anything on the defensive side.

Wonder why he got the nod ahead of Romeu? Can only be an attacking move.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Although I've got a season ticket since the Bournemouth game I think I've been to three games including two cup ties. The way we play at home just isn't enjoyable. It's incomprehensible that we haven't found a way to play teams that have come to try and steal points.

I've chosen not to go again today. Looks like he is tinkering again. JWP at right back and Smallbone in the midfield. I don't see the point of that, Valery at right back looked like the call to me. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the point of moving JWP out of midfield. Good luck to Smallbone. It'll be interesting to see how we play. I just hope we win but personally I've had it with the slow motion crap we play at home. We are great to watch away.

Although I've got a season ticket since the Bournemouth game I think I've been to three games including two cup ties. The way we play at home just isn't enjoyable. It's incomprehensible that we haven't found a way to play teams that have come to try and steal points.

I've chosen not to go again today. Looks like he is tinkering again. JWP at right back and Smallbone in the midfield. I don't see the point of that, Valery at right back looked like the call to me. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the point of moving JWP out of midfield. Good luck to Smallbone. It'll be interesting to see how we play. I just hope we win but personally I've had it with the slow motion crap we play at home. We are great to watch away.

I can see sense in it. Our RB will be up against Grealish. JWP did a great job on Zaha the other week and I'd trust him to do it again today.

Probably not the game to bring Valery back after a long lay-off which has probably affected his energy and stamina levels. Hope Smallbone comes good: a risk putting him in ahead of Romeu, but potentially more positive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk