Villa build up

whelk

Would be interesting to see the profit if you’d put a tenner on the opposition at St Mary’s for last 4 seasons.

It will be scoffed at on here but I've almost exclusively bet against us (home and away) the past few seasons.

Alongside betting on Liverpool most weeks + some big one off wins when we have led 2-0 (Chelsea / Wolves) & the Liverpool champions league top up when they were 3-0 down to Barcelona I'm easily c£25-30k up

If (when) Liverpool win the league and if Portsmouth and/or Leeds get promoted I'll pick up more.

Today's result will hopefully hurt Villa but I'll have the standard insurance bet ready n waiting just in case.

Will be a very open game. Bring back Bednarek and hope we can minimise fck ups at the back.

Need one of Redmond or Boufal to start though or we'll struggle to create. Although hopefully Armstrong will have a far better game than yesterday.

Thought Redmond was out for 1-2 months. Don't reckon he'll start v Villa. Be surprised if Boufal is fit either.

It will be scoffed at on here but I've almost exclusively bet against us (home and away) the past few seasons.

Alongside betting on Liverpool most weeks + some big one off wins when we have led 2-0 (Chelsea / Wolves) & the Liverpool champions league top up when they were 3-0 down to Barcelona I'm easily c£25-30k up

If (when) Liverpool win the league and if Portsmouth and/or Leeds get promoted I'll pick up more.

Today's result will hopefully hurt Villa but I'll have the standard insurance bet ready n waiting just in case.

Of course you have. We all believe you.

Thought Redmond was out for 1-2 months. Don't reckon he'll start v Villa. Be surprised if Boufal is fit either.
We've had a couple of injuries recently whereby it looked like the players would be out longer than they were (Armstrong and JWP) so for fingers crossed that Redmond falls into this bracket

McCarthy

KWP-Stephens-Bednarek-Bertie

Armstrong-Hoj-JWP-Djenpo

Ings-Long

Probably this then if Boufal's out. Vestergaard or Bednarek the only real decision.

That is not a decision. Is there a Saints fan alive who’d rather start Vest?

McCarthy

KWP-Stephens-Bednarek-Bertie

Armstrong-Hoj-JWP-Djenpo

Ings-Long

Probably this then if Boufal's out. Vestergaard or Bednarek the only real decision.

Valery for KWP if he's fit for me, otherwise the team picks itself.

It's all very well criticising the forwards but if the back four pass it around they end up with nothing to press for, outnumbered and feeding off scraps. Djenepo needs a kick up the backside, the number of times he was fed the ball wide with space behind the defender and not yet double banked turned back and played a nothing ball inside closing the attack off.

He needs to take the full back on and go for it. Instead of us pressing under pressure defenders we were outnumbered and pressed, that has to stop. Ralph has to step in and stop it the second we start to pass it around at the back.

That is not a decision. Is there a Saints fan alive who’d rather start Vest?

It's odd for me because apparently Vest was chosen because of his forward passing ability, and in fairness much of his forward passing was pretty impressive yesterday, direct and finding his man. Does Ralph really think that on balance this is overcomes his defending deficiencies compared to Bednarek?

It's odd for me because apparently Vest was chosen because of his forward passing ability, and in fairness much of his forward passing was pretty impressive yesterday, direct and finding his man. Does Ralph really think that on balance this is overcomes his defending deficiencies compared to Bednarek?

He made 48 passes, about 43 short, sideways or backwards. He was a major problem along with Stephens who also made 48 passes, it was that which slowed us down and played into Burnley's hands and many other matches at home this season. If Vestergaard was brought in to play forward passes he failed miserably. If he can play the sort of long ball he did a couple of times he could have played about 40 more and we would have been far better for it. He is also a poor defender, so all in all Ralph made a really stupid decision to play him.

As we’re safe we may as well play the kids. See who’s cut out for the PL next season. We might be able to save ourself a few quid as well.

Are you upset that most have a bit more reasoned approach in that we have 31 points with 12 games to play and apart from yesterday have been playing much improved on how we looked earlier in season - this is reflected by the bookmakers odds of 30/1 +

Unlike you who witnesses a poor performance and getting hysterical about relegation.

As we’re safe we may as well play the kids. See who’s cut out for the PL next season. We might be able to save ourself a few quid as well.

Okay, we’re safe to the extent that an absolutely pitiful run of form, akin to our first 12 games - losing every home fixture, with the 9-0 included - will keep us up.

We might lose against Villa, we might lose our next three. We won’t lose our last 12.

Are you upset that most have a bit more reasoned approach in that we have 31 points with 12 games to play and apart from yesterday have been playing much improved on how we looked earlier in season - this is reflected by the bookmakers odds of 30/1 +

Unlike you who witnesses a poor performance and getting hysterical about relegation.

I’m upset and concerned that we’ve slipped back to making the same mistakes we made at the start of the season and that we still can’t seem to buy a win at home.

As I’ve said, many a time, I don’t think we will go down. However, it was arrogant and complacent to assume we are safe and weaken a already weak squad. Especially given the comments from the club that we will improve our defence.

As for this game, villa aren’t a bad team, they are just poor at the back. Similar to us just without a very inform goal scorer and very good manager.

Could go either way.

Shut down Grealish and press hard for the win.
That is what we did at their place, tripled up on him and it worked. Even though he got their goal we were comfortable by then. Would think that both Danny and Shane will fancy their chances against their back 4, they were all over the place today. We desperately need a win and 3 points to steady the ship.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Either up against Grealish is a worry.

Perhaps a couple of robust challenges on him and a couple of others early on would not go amiss. Sure he wouldn't want to miss League Cup final the following week.

(Oh for the days of a JohnMcGrath, Jimmy Gabriel, or Mark Dennis in the team).

I’m upset and concerned that we’ve slipped back to making the same mistakes we made at the start of the season and that we still can’t seem to buy a win at home.

As I’ve said, many a time, I don’t think we will go down. However, it was arrogant and complacent to assume we are safe and weaken a already weak squad. Especially given the comments from the club that we will improve our defence.

As for this game, villa aren’t a bad team, they are just poor at the back. Similar to us just without a very inform goal scorer and very good manager.

Could go either way.

Agree with your post, and in all likelihood whoever concedes first is likely to collapse.

Fully expecting us to get turned over by Villa, 1-3 to them kind of score line. They’re a bit resurgent in recent games and their score lines aren’t a fair reflection of their performances, couple that with our fragile mentality at home and I only see one winner.

Fully expecting us to get turned over by Villa, 1-3 to them kind of score line. They’re a bit resurgent in recent games and their score lines aren’t a fair reflection of their performances, couple that with our fragile mentality at home and I only see one winner.

Villa have lost 2 and won 1 of their last 3 PL games. Same as us. They have a 'fragile mentality' away from home. Logically, I'm not seeing an obvious winner either way

Edited by trousers

Either up against Grealish is a worry.

Just need to ask him in the tunnel if he's looking forward to Wembley next week then go in with a tough challenge early on, none of them will want to risk picking up a knock.

Wasn't last time we played them at home just before they had FA cup final and we beat them 6-1 with fastest ever hattrick from Mane?

I think we're more suited to playing against Villa than Burnley but going for 1-1 as our home form is a big psychological barrier for our players.

Villa are probably the worst defensive side i've seen us play all season, the truth is if we're serious about not being in a relegation battle this is exactly the side we should be beating at home. Aside from Grealish their team is Championship play off standard at best, and even with Redmond out i see no reason we shouldn't win this (other than our own attitude).

My big hope is that the fans stay off the players backs, and get behind the team as they would've done in relegation battles of the past. Villa will be there for the taking, we just have to be patient.

Villa are probably the worst defensive side i've seen us play all season, the truth is if we're serious about not being in a relegation battle this is exactly the side we should be beating at home. Aside from Grealish their team is Championship play off standard at best, and even with Redmond out i see no reason we shouldn't win this (other than our own attitude).

My big hope is that the fans stay off the players backs, and get behind the team as they would've done in relegation battles of the past. Villa will be there for the taking, we just have to be patient.

You didn't see the game yesterday then. Amazingly unlucky against Spurs, who were in trouble against them throughout. Also, perhaps didn't notice how bad our defence was and how unthreatening our attack was at the weekend. Equals away win in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't see the game yesterday then. Amazingly unlucky against Spurs, who were in trouble against them throughout. Also, perhaps didn't notice how bad our defence was and how unthreatening our attack was at the weekend. Equals away win in my opinion.

You didn't watch it if you think their defence was anything but woeful. Unlucky Spurs spurned so many chances. Attacking with Grealish they look v good

You didn't watch it if you think their defence was anything but woeful. Unlucky Spurs spurned so many chances. Attacking with Grealish they look v good

Villa are a poor side with an exceptional player, this league is currently made up of a lot of poor sides so that exceptional player makes them look better than they are. I'm not saying this game will be easy, as i don't think we're particularly great either, but i do think we're better than them, and i do think we should be winning this.

The fact that Targett has been one of their better players shows you everything you need to know, most people could see he wasn't premier league standard for us and he still isn't for Villa. Take Grealish out of that side and they'd be comfortably bottom three.

Unlucky? Reina and terrible finishing are the only reason Spurs didn't score 10.

Villa played well going forward - Samatta is a decent handful at centre forward, and Grealish is obviously a class act.

But Spurs looked like scoring every time they turned the ball over.

They're not a bad side at all, and capable of beating the worst home team in the league if we play like we did recently against Burnley and Wolves. But if we're going to stay up, it's an absolute banker for us.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

A couple of things will happen here.

If Villa have a striker who’s not scored in a decade then his luck is in on Saturday.

We will huff and puff and look decent but a lapse at the back means Villa will score at least one.

It will not end in a draw.

Ings will be the only player who will score for us.

Ralph will put on three strikers in Obefemi, Djenapo and Adams who between them will score or create nothing.

The fans will do the usual until things don’t go right.

That Heisenberg guy will tell us about how he won more money on betting against Saints. PS does he celebrate when we lose?

A couple of things will happen here.

If Villa have a striker who’s not scored in a decade then his luck is in on Saturday.

We will huff and puff and look decent but a lapse at the back means Villa will score at least one.

It will not end in a draw.

Ings will be the only player who will score for us.

Ralph will put on three strikers in Obefemi, Djenapo and Adams who between them will score or create nothing.

The fans will do the usual until things don’t go right.

That Heisenberg guy will tell us about how he won more money on betting against Saints. PS does he celebrate when we lose?

Thats true enough about a striker who hasnt scored in a decade. If we want Che to start scoring at SMS then we should loan him out to villa for the game this weekend. No doubt he would break his duck.

Villa are such a one man team it is untrue. Grealish has been truly outstanding, but take him out of the game and they really have very little else. So why do we not go a bit old fashioned and stick a proper man marker on him, follow him literally everywhere he goes, give him zero time? Nullify there only big threat? Got to be someone who doesn't dive in and can get about the pitch quickly as well, as Grealish is very good on the ball. You just don't see a man marker in modern football anymore.

Villa are such a one man team it is untrue. Grealish has been truly outstanding, but take him out of the game and they really have very little else. So why do we not go a bit old fashioned and stick a proper man marker on him, follow him literally everywhere he goes, give him zero time? Nullify there only big threat? Got to be someone who doesn't dive in and can get about the pitch quickly as well, as Grealish is very good on the ball. You just don't see a man marker in modern football anymore.

Problem with this is he is the most fouled player in the PL, he's great at drawing a foul even if there's minimal contact, whoever was marking him would end up with a yellow after 15 mins and be on a tightrope the rest of the match