Simple yes or no...Lallana on a free in the summer?

SNSUN

Is 31 the end of a football career?

Danny Ings was injury prone for longer periods of his Liverpool career but has come good again at Saints.

32 and it’s certainly getting that way when you’ve had injury problems and a lack of regular football.

2014 Lallana would obviously improve this team but he hasn’t been that player for a long while now.

It makes me laugh when football fans whine on about loyalty. Half a bad season and fans will call for pretty much any player to be "got rid of". Players know that the fanbase that sings their name one day could next be wishing them harm the day after a pass that lead to an opposition goal. Fans' loyalty is always temporary, but some expect players to stake their careers on the club and fans staying loyal to them for years.

Lallana was well aware that things could always go wrong and he should take his opportunities while he could. It's common sense. We turn on every player when their form drops. Look at how many fans would be happy to replace PEH or Romeu, or how many wanted JWP sold until his recent upturn in form.

Taking out the way he left, he's had nine league starts over the last three years, is on high wages, and is physically on the decline. Exactly the sort of player we should be avoiding like the plague.

Correct to forget how he left, that was 6 years ago. (How we tried to hold him back after he stood by us is another debate). He's undoubtedly got quality still and not getting in the Liverpool team ahead of Salah, Mane etc doesn't make him a bad player! If the wages were right, he'd be a great addition to our team.

Taking out the way he left, he's had nine league starts over the last three years, is on high wages, and is physically on the decline. Exactly the sort of player we should be avoiding like the plague.

I would imagine most of our side would be lucky to get 9 league starts at Liverpool

Objectively no, he'll be 32 in the summer, has had injury problems with little evidence he has really gotten over them, I think his legs have gone and his wages would be massive. Not only because he is a on free which drives wage requests up but also because I think he has a very high opinion of himself that is probably a lot higher than his actual ability now.

2 years ago yes, 100%, but he has gone downhill.

I'd also expect him to demand like a 3 year contract, so whoever signs him will be lumbered with a 35 year old probably on 100k a week that is injury prone.

You also have to question his mentality to be honest, he'll have a champions league and league winners medal, has no hope of playing for England again that screams player looking for a pay day.

Danny Ings was a risk with his injuries but at least he was 26 and clearly had the hunger to prove himself again.

Luckily the club just won't go for him, it's just not our model at all luckily, as the OP said, has West Ham written all over it.

LOL at the no’s here

I think saying no is reasonable. Not fussed about how he left tbh, enjoyed watching him a lot 2008-2014. But let’s keep the memories and enjoy them. The old lunatic and his quisling have left loads of hopeless tat on huge wages and the last thing we need is a 32 year old, any 32 year old who hasn’t seemingly played much football in the last 24 months or so, on a bumper three year deal. Very different to Lawrie’s era as the game is so much faster now. The model needs to be developing players like Djenepo into the next Mane. Hopefully we get rid of Gao but for now, let’s leave this signing to Leicester or West Ham

Would love to see him back as he is still far better than what we currently have. Great player and one of the best I’ve seen at Saints and alongside Lambert etc responsible for Saints getting back to the top flight.

Won’t happen though as he will join a club with ambition and much higher wages than Saints.

Yes, agree, provided we can afford him and he can still cut it. On loan only though.

We need a creative midfielder.

Those against him are acting like jilted lovers.

why does it mean I am a jilted lover. I am saying no because he is past his best and injury prone. 9 games in 3 years is hardly enough to recommend him joining us is it?

I worshipped him whilst he was here and have his autograph and a Saints shirt he gave to my wife. But sadly he is not the player he was and we are not in a position where we could afford to bring him back with possibility/probability that we would lose him for much of the time he would be here.

Liverpool are letting Lallana go in the summer on a free transfer. So simple question, would you have him back here?

It’s a no from me. West Ham signing written all over him.

I would say yes. For a season or two and I see that Nat Clyne will also be available...

I would say yes. For a season or two and I see that Nat Clyne will also be available...

Jeez has good ole Rupert Lowe crept out of a crack in the pavement and talked Gao into opening an old folks home in the SMS car park!

Lallana would offer nothing aside from an odour in the dressing room, Clyne did nowt at Bournemouth......I guess taking them opens up the opportunity to claim Gift Aid for the club when Season Ticket renewals come up. :rolleyes:

No

Age; injuries; lack of pace - all against him. Not to mention his return of only 1 goal in the past three seasons - in all competitions. And that's without taking into account a dubious attitude.

Laughable how Batman was so against Shane Long getting a contract extension - despite him displaying all the attributes to perform well in Ralph's teams - yet is championing us splashing out a big signing on fee and an undoubted higher salary for Lallana. Anyone could be forgiven for feeling he has been trolling.... :rolleyes:

He was and still is quality. I absolutely loved watching him play for us. Signing that five year deal, when he could have moved to a championship club, all be it on monstrous wages, was such a massive factor in our rise from the ashes. For that alone he should be a club legend, but he acted like a ****, so **** him. Southampton FC is meant to be a club. Who on earth would want a `member' like him back here? I want us to win like everyone else, but not at any costs, and for me, it would be selling my soul to welcome back someone who acted like a complete ***** to the club. I completely understand him wanting to join Liverpool, but to threaten never to play for the club if he didn't get his move is something as a fan I can't forgive and forget. If he didn't do that, despite it being widely reported (maybe it was SFC officials putting false stories out in the press to make them look better, as some posters on here suggests happens) then everything I just typed is null and void, apart from enjoying his talent - one of my favourite Saints players to watch. He's no Jimmy Case or Henri Camera I must point out, but what a bloody great Cruyff turn he had.

32 and it’s certainly getting that way when you’ve had injury problems and a lack of regular football.

2014 Lallana would obviously improve this team but he hasn’t been that player for a long while now.

I think some experience is what Saints are lacking especially in defence and midfield. A player on the bench for the World Champions and Champions league and soon to be premier league winners is certainly good enough to walk into the current Saints side along with all of Liverpool’s bench and probably about half of their under 23 side.

If you know your Saints history you will know Saints best teams have contained a mix of home grown youth and experienced players and included Channon returning Ball returning Watson, Case, Worthington, Jordan, Mills, Marsden etc

I think that's the point of the thread, Tajjuk. Press rumours that we are interested (may just be clickbait) yet the fanbase emphatically turn their nose up.

Hadn't seen any links so thought I'd highlight it, but like you say probably just rumour, would be an odd one.

The other thing to consider is where would be play, he lacks the pace to be a wide man and has more recently for Liverpool played a deeper role I think, can't see him dislodging JWP and he is not good enough defensively to take over from Hojberg, he doesn't really fit the system.

I think some experience is what Saints are lacking especially in defence and midfield. A player on the bench for the World Champions and Champions league and soon to be premier league winners is certainly good enough to walk into the current Saints side along with all of Liverpool’s bench and probably about half of their under 23 side.

If you know your Saints history you will know Saints best teams have contained a mix of home grown youth and experienced players and included Channon returning Ball returning Watson, Case, Worthington, Jordan, Mills, Marsden etc

How does that work? Jordon Ibe sat on the bench for Liverpool, so did Solanke. You could put me on the bench for that 1970 Brazil team, wouldn't mean I'm good enough to play for anyone.

The players you've listed played in a different era, sports fitness has moved on so much since their day. Channon and friends played in an era when you could go out on the lash the night before a game, then grab a large fish and chips on the way to the ground to soak it all up. It's not like that now, we've got VO2 max tests and midfielders running 11km in a game. I think Lallana would be off the pace again and likely just get injured trying to keep with the pace.

How does that work? Jordon Ibe sat on the bench for Liverpool, so did Solanke. You could put me on the bench for that 1970 Brazil team, wouldn't mean I'm good enough to play for anyone.

The players you've listed played in a different era, sports fitness has moved on so much since their day. Channon and friends played in an era when you could go out on the lash the night before a game, then grab a large fish and chips on the way to the ground to soak it all up. It's not like that now, we've got VO2 max tests and midfielders running 11km in a game. I think Lallana would be off the pace again and likely just get injured trying to keep with the pace.

Ok I’ll keep trying. You can’t compare Lallana with Solanke and Ibe?

Liverpool bench in recent win v Saints,

Lovren

Keith

Adrian

Minamino

Lallana

Origi

Matip

All would get in Saints team at the moment

I’d add Milner, Curtis Jones as well.

Regarding fitness and players over 30 years old there are plenty playing well in the premier league,

David Silva, Mesut Ozil, Jamie Vardy, Sergio Arguero, Fernandinho, James Milner, Joao Moutinho, Mark Noble, Jan Vertonghen, David Luiz, Pedro, Robert Snodgrass, Willian, Gary Cahill, Seamus Colman, Toby Alderweireld,