• Smallbone
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Long
    • Ings
    • Adams
    • Obafemi
    • Romeu

Villa were probably the worst team I’ve seen at home this season and we still huffed and puffed to get a result.

Djenepo goes from the sublime to the ridiculous it seems, Smallbone had a solid enough debut, Stephens was a rock, and there’s nobody else in our squad I think I’d rather have at Right Back than JWP.

Our fans were good today, well done all.

Villa were shockingly bad, I was so worried when we didn't get the 3 or 4 our performance deserved on that first half.

We really should have had that game done, dusted and finished after about 40 mins. Not our day in front of goal, but Villa were so dire it didn't really matter.

34 points, 12th in the league, 10 pts clear inc. GD - it will take something out of this universe for us to be worrying about that end now.

You're kidding right. Obafemi was excellent when he came on today - he has the potential to be a cracking player and is only 19.

I agree he didn't look too great today when he came on.

Good performance but again Saints never let us get comfortable. Reina played well and still has that presence in goal. Smallbone looked composed although not too much hard work in midfield for him, some nice little touches in there. Villa looked awful, we did well to keep Grelish quiet. Both goals were more about the final pass than the finish.

Would love us to beat the Hammers next week if we didn't pick up another point all season. We are safe and don't have the consistency to push top 8.

Anybody know if there was a problem with VAR today? A couple of times the referee looked like he was waiting for a decision in his earpiece but there was nothing on the big screens. I'm sure the first goal was checked, but again nothing on the screens.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

We’re difficult to please according to Keown. Yeah, I’m sure arsenal fans would cheering the house down if they were the worst home team in the league, with 3 wins, 8 defeats and a 0-9 in there.

Hes right. 8th and a cup final didn’t keep some happy.

Anybody know if there was a problem with VAR today? A couple of times the referee looked like he was waiting for a decision in his earpiece but there was nothing on the big screens. I'm sure the first goal was checked, but again nothing on the screens.

No I don’t think there was. I watched it on a stream and it was mentioned that VAR was looking at a couple of things (including first goal) but they were quickly dismissed rather than being analysed.

Armstrong's goal was a real treat to send us all home happy. It was in the 94th minute and he was inside our six yard box as their corner came over. He sprinted up the pitch (where did he get the energy from?) and the inch-perfect pass from Adams gave him several options. He could have hoofed it any-old where out-of-play, he could have taken it to the corner-flag and played around with it but instead he kept his composure and slotted it into the goal. Superb.

As a result us fans came away not feeling relieved that we had hung on desperately to a narrow victory but with a sense of joyous exuberance.

Really pleased how well we started. We overwhelmed Villa in those early stages, and would like to see us do this more often when at home as our approach to away games is generally spot on.

However it’s important people understand how different it is to play against Burnley, who don’t allow you to press and harass them because they are happy to hoof the ball sixty yards upfield. I don’t say that as criticism, as Dyche does a great job, but sides like Villa who attempt to play out from the back suit our style down to the ground.

Thought that McCarthy, both centre backs, Bertrand and Djenepo all excellent, as was Adams when he came on. Very promising debut by Smallbone who has excellent distribution.

However it’s important people understand how different it is to play against Burnley, who don’t allow you to press and harass them because they are happy to hoof the ball sixty yards upfield. I don’t say that as criticism, as Dyche does a great job, but sides like Villa who attempt to play out from the back suit our style down to the ground.

So what do you reckon is the solution for beating these hoofball/physical teams?

So what do you reckon is the solution for beating these hoofball/physical teams?

It may be that we need to find a way of getting an extra flair player in the side and go 4231. We will inevitably have more possession against those teams and so need to isolate their back line with more movement in front of them and between the lines.

Today’s 4222 works a treat when you can hurry sides like Villa and punish their errors in building up from the back

It may be that we need to find a way of getting an extra flair player in the side and go 4231. We will inevitably have more possession against those teams and so need to isolate their back line with more movement in front of them and between the lines.

Today’s 4222 works a treat when you can hurry sides like Villa and punish their errors in building up from the back

Surely playing more of a retreated back-line would help, too, in that we would be less likely to be caught out by an 'over-the-top' clearance-come-pass?

Armstrong's goal was a real treat to send us all home happy. It was in the 94th minute and he was inside our six yard box as their corner came over. He sprinted up the pitch (where did he get the energy from?) and the inch-perfect pass from Adams gave him several options. He could have hoofed it any-old where out-of-play, he could have taken it to the corner-flag and played around with it but instead he kept his composure and slotted it into the goal. Superb.

As a result us fans came away not feeling relieved that we had hung on desperately to a narrow victory but with a sense of joyous exuberance.

Thanks mate I’ve had a few celebratory beers and this brought a tear to my eye.

Yes, that's when we sacked the manager and the rot set in
I think most reasonable minded fans were fine with giving Puel another season but could understand why he was sacked. Worth pointing out though that we finished lower under him and Leicester have flourished after sacking him, so...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

For anyone who watched the match on a stream, what happened to their player who went down for ages in the first half and got subbed?

Was it just a clash of heads? Not sure why the ref didn't tell him to move so the game could restart considering he was originally off the pitch but then rolled over about 3 times to get back on it.

For anyone who watched the match on a stream, what happened to their player who went down for ages in the first half and got subbed?

Was it just a clash of heads? Not sure why the ref didn't tell him to move so the game could restart considering he was originally off the pitch but then rolled over about 3 times to get back on it.

He got caught around the head by an arm from Bednarek (clearly not intentional when you see it)

Looked like nothing was in it. Just seemed like he didn’t fancy playing anymore. Why he could not shift 2 feet off the pitch a lot sooner, I will never know. Even their players were getting annoyed at him!

8th is a total irrelevance. We ended level on points with Bournemouth. You might like to look up the final points total to see how bad we were.

The football was direr than dire.

This is an old argument and we will all never agree on this (VVD injured, Mane and Pelle sold, 50 match season etc etc etc). But points total and league position is also a reflection on where else across the League points have gone. There is no doubt that finishing eight and a cup final (that we would have won with VAR) was a decent achievement (especially now looking back) and, significantly, was followed by two appalling seasons where we escaped relegation by one or two places and failed to get even 40 points.

I would bite you arm off to finish in top eight without a cup final this season regardless of how few points it needs. It could well mean European football given City debacle if we do.

Bednarek sparked him out with his arm. Pretty clumsy really and you need to be careful in the days of red card video reviews.

He got caught around the head by an arm from Bednarek (clearly not intentional when you see it)

Looked like nothing was in it. Just seemed like he didn’t fancy playing anymore. Why he could not shift 2 feet off the pitch a lot sooner, I will never know. Even their players were getting annoyed at him!

Yeah both Grealish and Mings were having a go at the doctors to move him off the pitch. The ridiculous thing is that when he first went down he was off the pitch then he deliberately rolled back on.

This is an old argument and we will all never agree on this (VVD injured, Mane and Pelle sold, 50 match season etc etc etc). But points total and league position is also a reflection on where else across the League points have gone. There is no doubt that finishing eight and a cup final (that we would have won with VAR) was a decent achievement (especially now looking back) and, significantly, was followed by two appalling seasons where we escaped relegation by one or two places and failed to get even 40 points.

I would bite you arm off to finish in top eight without a cup final this season regardless of how few points it needs. It could well mean European football given City debacle if we do.

Indeed, there are all sorts of opinions. I would just like to point out that we lost that final 3-2 so to argue that we would have won it with VAR is stretching things a bit. Also we should remember that for every VAR decision that went in our favour there could have been some that went against.

Let's not forget also that our European campaign was a dismal flop.

You're kidding right. Obafemi was excellent when he came on today - he has the potential to be a cracking player and is only 19.

I agree. I did wonder when both strikers were substituted but both subs proved their value. Michael was causing all sorts of problems for Villa and Che was unlucky that his excellent strike was saved No striker can guarantee that a keeper won't prevent a shot going in; same thing happened to Ings with his attempted touch past the keeper earlier in the game. But Che making the second goal with that magnificent pass was something many players wouldn't have achieved,

Let's not forget also that our European campaign was a dismal flop.

Wouldn't call it that. It included beating Inter, but agree it was ultimately disappointing as we were one goal shy of a last 32 place. The strange Fonte situation didn't help, nor some of Puel's negative tactics.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Looked pretty innocuous at the time good solid challenge put the ball out Lino flagged something Villa player laying on the ground well off the pitch suddenly had the lino flagging for a foul. Villa player was “dead!” Then was suddenly possessed and started wiggling back into life and - hang on what’s this - he’s wriggling himself back onto the pitch!! He wriggled and wriggled and as soon as his feet crossed the line back onto the pitch the Kingsland and Chapel erupted into giving him dogs abuse which got louder the more of himself he wriggled onto the pitch - quite frankly the referee should have booked him as that was unsportsman like behaviour of the highest order. Then all of a sudden the Ref who was buying all the Villa feigned dives up to that point decided to buy another one that the bloke had brain damage and called on the magic sponge men - abuse by now is pouring down from the stands on this shyster - to the point where his own team mates were getting very embarrassed Grealish is waiting to take a corner while they had momentum looking impatient - Mings who had trotted up to hammer the corner home also had the nark and marched over to his team mate tried to get him up then telling him (from his body language) to get off the bloody pitch.

In the end I think he realised that he was being a winkle and would be getting dogs abuse for the rest of the game and didn’t fancy the heat so made sure he carried on the act to get substituted out of the cauldron.

Bet he’ll be copping it in training on Monday.

Wouldn't call it that. It included beating Inter, but agree it was ultimately disappointing as we were one goal shy of a last 32 place. The strange Fonte situation didn't help, nor some of Puel's negative tactics.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There was nothing strange about that. Fonte was 33 and never going to be able to play every League game and 6 midweek European games.

It was poor though. Sparta at home was decent but after that we only managed two set piece goals from VVD in the other 5 games.

I agree. I did wonder when both strikers were substituted but both subs proved their value. Michael was causing all sorts of problems for Villa and Che was unlucky that his excellent strike was saved No striker can guarantee that a keeper won't prevent a shot going in; same thing happened to Ings with his attempted touch past the keeper earlier in the game. But Che making the second goal with that magnificent pass was something many players wouldn't have achieved,

Was only watching a stream - a decent one though, but Obi looked really odd - it was like an electric motor revving up before letting go. He seemed to almost put himself in "first gear" before going full throttle on the accelerator. He is still very young, experienced and lacks composure but hopefully will improve going forward. I can see why RH picks Long ahead of him for now.

There was nothing strange about that. Fonte was 33 and never going to be able to play every League game and 6 midweek European games.

You really believe Fonte didn't play because he was being rested? Nothing to do with Les pushing him out having promised VvD the captaincy. Well, each to their own I suppose.

You really believe Fonte didn't play because he was being rested? Nothing to do with Les pushing him out having promised VvD the captaincy. Well, each to their own I suppose.

You really believe a 33 year old can play every game of a League and Europa season? Also, Les pushing him out but not from League games because VVD only wanted to be captain for European games? Well, each to their own I suppose.

You really believe a 33 year old can play every game of a League and Europa season? Also, Les pushing him out but not from League games because VVD only wanted to be captain for European games? Well, each to their own I suppose.

Fonte was already due for the door when Poch started his first full season that’s why Yoshida was brought in, only Yoshida got crocked at the confederation cup over the summer, which gave Fonte the window to go “I ain’t having this” and upped his game getting super fit in the process and putting in some damn good performances that gave Poch no choice but to stick with him.

There was a player interview thingy and more than once when asked who is the fittest player in the squad everyone said Fonte when he came back from winning the Euros his ears needed greasing to get through the doors and he felt his stock was far higher than it actually was.

Back on subject, it was another good team performance yesterday.

Smallbone looked composed, but faded in the 2nd half and the 2 no 10's, Djenepo and Armstrong, were excellent. Great composure by Armstrong to stoke home that shot after a 70 yard run in the 94th minute.

MOM for me was JWP, who did a great job on the dangerman, for the 2nd time this month.

Looked pretty innocuous at the time good solid challenge put the ball out Lino flagged something Villa player laying on the ground well off the pitch suddenly had the lino flagging for a foul. Villa player was “dead!” Then was suddenly possessed and started wiggling back into life and - hang on what’s this - he’s wriggling himself back onto the pitch!! He wriggled and wriggled and as soon as his feet crossed the line back onto the pitch the Kingsland and Chapel erupted into giving him dogs abuse which got louder the more of himself he wriggled onto the pitch - quite frankly the referee should have booked him as that was unsportsman like behaviour of the highest order. Then all of a sudden the Ref who was buying all the Villa feigned dives up to that point decided to buy another one that the bloke had brain damage and called on the magic sponge men - abuse by now is pouring down from the stands on this shyster - to the point where his own team mates were getting very embarrassed Grealish is waiting to take a corner while they had momentum looking impatient - Mings who had trotted up to hammer the corner home also had the nark and marched over to his team mate tried to get him up then telling him (from his body language) to get off the bloody pitch.

In the end I think he realised that he was being a winkle and would be getting dogs abuse for the rest of the game and didn’t fancy the heat so made sure he carried on the act to get substituted out of the cauldron.

Bet he’ll be copping it in training on Monday.

If they were level or a goal up I could at least understand his antics at time wasting. But they were a goal down at that time. Bizarre.

But for Reina that would have been a very comfortable win.

Felt like the players had been challenged by the manager and were responding, was really good to watch.

Forgot how good Reina was as a keeper.

Saints very good today, but as most have said, with all that dominance, should have been done by half time. still i am happy

Forgot how good Reina was as a keeper.

Saints very good today, but as most have said, with all that dominance, should have been done by half time. still i am happy

Although I agree Reina is a wonderful shot stopper, his kicking and throwing to his team mates was often the cause of Villa’s many problems. This is in part due to Villa insistence on passing out from the back, which was meat-and-drink to Long, Ings and Djenepo. These guys have been trained to hunt down defenders who are in possession and when the defenders aren’t very good (and Villa’s aren’t, hence their league position) Saints were always going to cause Villa problems. Yes, Reina was responsible for keeping the score down but he was also partly the cause of the 28 shots we had.

Also, just as a bit of perspective, I guess it shows spending £££££££ doesn't equal anything - Villa spent £130m in the summer, people fairly confident that they'd be pushing for mid-table.

But like Fulham the previous year, it was a case of spending too much at once on too many players. (and maybe the wrong sorts). They may still stay up, but they'll be struggling till the death and they have spent a mini fortune.

Also, just as a bit of perspective, I guess it shows spending £££££££ doesn't equal anything - Villa spent £130m in the summer, people fairly confident that they'd be pushing for mid-table.

But like Fulham the previous year, it was a case of spending too much at once on too many players. (and maybe the wrong sorts). They may still stay up, but they'll be struggling till the death and they have spent a mini fortune.

Will Villa face financial sanctions if they go down? (I can’t remember)

I recall people liking them to Fulham with their spending at the start of the season, Villa fans were unsurprisingly defensive saying how their spending was "different" because it had more thought behind it or something... wonder if they still think that?

Really pleased how well we started. We overwhelmed Villa in those early stages, and would like to see us do this more often when at home as our approach to away games is generally spot on.

Thought that McCarthy, both centre backs, Bertrand and Djenepo all excellent, as was Adams when he came on. Very promising debut by Smallbone who has excellent distribution.

Djenepo's cracking performance and speed especially. How he managed to side foot his pass for Long's goal from the byline was quite special. .

He is displaying superb skills. With him, Smallbone and others, we have a good future again.

Good win and performance. As it always with saints, we should have scored 3 or 4 more and been more clinical.

Villa probably the worst team to play at St Mary's this season and their fans were extremely quiet. Thought it was the best atmosphere at St Mary's for a long time with the crowd not getting on the players back even though it was still 1-0 into stoppage time.

Armstrong proving to be an absolute bargain and Djenepo was a completely different player from the Burnley game.