• Smallbone
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Long
    • Ings
    • Adams
    • Obafemi
    • Romeu

Brilliant win, I had zero faith of us holding onto a lead but we did it! Stephens was immense, JWP solid and Ralph got his tactics spot on - shut down Grealish and you shut down Villa, they are a Championship side without him.

Level on points with Arsenal - I think we would have all taken that if you'd asked in November!

Sweet.

10pts from next 4 please to look up and have the faintest of glimmers for Europe/top 8.

However about todays game- win is a win despite some very nervy moments we just about deserved it

28 shots to 4 and 9 on target vs their 1 on target. I'd say we very much deserved it. Better finishing and we'd have won by more.

28 shots to 4 and 9 on target vs their 1 on target. I'd say we very much deserved it. Better finishing and we'd have won by more.

0 on target in reality, the one they had was offside but ref played advantage. Would have been ruled out if it had been a goal.

Great first half, understandably nervy second half.

That game should have been put to bed a long time before it was - and that, unfortunately, sums Saints up. Wasteful, nervy at the back, etc.

Thought Smallbone was excellent 1st half - top notch. Thought Bednarek and Bertrand were awful (thank god for Jack and JWP).

A win is a win and we are pretty much safe now - 1 more win and a draw should be enough and with 11 games to go you'd hope we get 45+ points which would allow us to rebuild in the summer.

Cracking result. You all owe me because I did my completely 100% record of diligently avoiding scores all day and telling my kids I'd be v annoyed if they even coughed while watching. Foolproof. Worked with Chelsea, Spurs, and now Villa.

Happy days

Villa pants but we did play well from the bits of stream I saw. A decent win that should see us safe and looking upwards again. Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa for relegation for me, though West Ham, Watford, Brighton and Newcastle are all really trying hard to be as crap as them.

We had a Smallbone but the Long bone settled it

Good win, should’ve been more but clean sheet not to be sniffed at. Shame Adams shot blocked on the line but quality pass for the second goal.

Pompey lost at Fleetwood. Now watching Wales v France with Hawkshead’s excellent NZ Pale Ale for company and Salcombe’s dark malty Riptide to follow. All is good.

Massive three points. 28 shots v Villa 4....9 on target to 1 underlines the dominance, even if it was nervy util the 93rd minute. Great to see Djenepo back to early season form; promising first half from Smallbone, JWP did his job, Stephens good, PEH good. So nearly off the mark for Adams but a great assist for Armstrong's gut busting run and well taken goal.

10 points clear :lol:

By far the better side, bits of brilliance from Djenepo and Smallbone impressive first half.

Superb assist from Che at the end.

Agree they had good games, but my MOTM was JWP by a mile - had Grilish in his pocket and had several other great moments.

Think we are safe now (surely we can get another 6 points from 11 games?), however the problems for next season are clear - we need to be more clinical upfront (who scores when Ings doesn't - today was fortunate), and our defence is still poor. Will our owner sanction the funds to fix this? Not sure he will

Firstly a good win. Secondly we dominated the game and played like we were away. It's been crying out for a performance like this all season. Again 28 shots and 46% possession which means we attacked more and had most of our possession in the opponents half. Passing around at the back doesn't work. Today a a few times we passed up the chance to pass it forward especially Stephens and Hojbjerg then made poor balls lost possession and twice nearly gave up a goal. we have to cut that out completely.

At the end, their corner, good punch from McCarthy, picked up by Adams, checked out, looked up made a yard and hit a great crossfield ball right into Armstrong's path who finished well. Good team performance.

Edited by derry

Agree they had good games, but my MOTM was JWP by a mile - had Grilish in his pocket and had several other great moments.

Think we are safe now (surely we can get another 6 points from 11 games?), however the problems for next season are clear - we need to be more clinical upfront (who scores when Ings doesn't - today was fortunate), and our defence is still poor. Will our owner sanction the funds to fix this? Not sure he will

Hard to call a motm, good team performance. JWP was good but didn't pocket Grealish. He still looked quality just a shame for him the rest are dross :lol:

Stephens good also

How was it so close? Villa were terrible, but our decision making and final ball were pathetic.

Great endeavour and workrate - particularly down the right, where Prowse and Armstrong were machines.

Credit to Djenepo. Never gives up. Box of tricks. The composure of a startled kitten on an ice rink. Classic Saints winger.

A word about Obafemi - the last three or four times he's come on, he's just jogged around like Charlie Austin. You can't replace a hard runner like Long as sub and then half-arse about. I don't think he's going to make it. He hasn't got good enough attributes to compensate for he evident lack of application.

The other results fell nicely for us today as well - 34 points feels like a relatively comfortable place to be. COYS

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

****ing get in there!!!!

Villa utterly dreadful

Yeah, as they were at Villa Park. Two wins against them coming at important times in the season. I know the goal at the end suggests the win was inevitable but we don't half make it hard for ourselves. I get that it's not easy to score, but towards the end at 1-0 you shouldn't be having pot shots like Obafemi and Armstrong (and Adams a little bit) were doing. By all means try and score, but try and work the best opportunities rather than giving up the ball easily.

While Obafemi is extremely frustrating, I thought Adams did pretty well. The assist for Armstrong was superb but he was also unselfish in putting Obafemi in before (though the pass wasn't great). Had some nice touches to keep our moves alive, just not sure he's picking the right shots atm.

Maybe Ward-Prowse's position is RB (even though he has been great CM this season), another impressive display - keeping Grealish quiet in the process as he did vs Zaha - and when things were a bit frantic it always ended up with JWP and we seemed to get out of trouble.

Thought Djenepo looked dangerous, but other times a bit sloppy. Armstrong and Hojbjerg had good games and Smallbone was impressive - very tidy on the ball but also got involved. Ings a bit quiet, Long did well and actually looked the bigger threat. Romeu was shocking when he first came on but towards the end of the game got some important challenges and passes in. Back line generally good though Bertrand had a few dodgy moments near the end (that short ball to Hojbjerg that allowed them to break...!)

How was it so close? Villa were terrible, but our decision making and final ball were pathetic.

Great endeavour and workrate - particularly down the right, where Prowse and Armstrong were machines.

Credit to Djenepo. Never gives up. Box of tricks. The composure of a startled kitten on an ice rink. Classic Saints winger.

A word about Obafemi - the last three or four times he's come on, he's just jogged around like Charlie Austin. You can't replace a hard runner like Long as sub and then half-arse about. I don't think he's going to make it. He hasn't got good enough attributes to compensate for he evident lack of application.

The other results fell nicely for us today as well - 34 points feels like a relatively comfortable place to be. COYS

Agree about Obafemi. Don't rate him. And seems to have a bit of an attitude if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made hard work Aston Grealish were abysmal was the ref Grealish uncle every time he fell over a free kick.

Great defensive display McCarthy did well on corners Bednarek and Stephens were excellent one brilliant piece by Stephens near end.

Should have been 3 up at half time Moussa is a box of tricks needs end product love having him something different.

Ings a bit off today Long was very good won loads in air worked defenders just hope his Schlong gets new contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP fantastic. Stephens and Long very good. Ings quiet for some reason. Smallbone nice PL debut. Djenepo very exciting, and a great run and cut back to Long's penis. Adam's tidy, and a perfect pass to Armstrong (who had a good game too). Obafemi not as bad as some are saying (apart from that stupid shot). But needs to lose weight, looks like he may give Shipperley a run for his money when he gets older (pie-wise I mean, not that other thing). Villa utter shite.

3 more league wins than Arsenal and the same as Man U :lol:

Shame we couldn't beat Wolves and Burnley from the positions we were in or we'd actually be in with a shout if Champions League, assuming City remain banned. Which, let's face it, would be hilarious seeing how ****e we can be.

6 points off a champions league place, 10 above the drop zone and still people talk about it being a ‘critical win’ and being nearly safe. We are not going down, even if we’d lost today we still wouldn’t go down.

As for the match, very good performance all around and should have won by a much bigger margin. Good performance by Smallbone and Hoj in the middle and JWP filled in well at RB. Villa we’re properly awful though and rarely troubled us.

QUOTE=striker;2804674]Critical win and deserved, but we sure don't make it easy. Feel gutted for Adams, what does he need to do to score.

Well, there was one occasion when his total lack of commitment was obvious. Obafemi had won the ball deep on the right and was running behind the Villa defence at pace. The Villa defenders were trying to get back to defend the box, but Adams was the obvious Saints striker to square the ball across to. Had he decided to put in the effort to get into the box, he might have stood a decent chance of scoring his first goal. But he didn't seem to feel any sense of urgency at all for some reason.

You're kidding right. Obafemi was excellent when he came on today - he has the potential to be a cracking player and is only 19.