How many points for safety?

Huffton

On the Shane Long thread I put: "I think it will be a higher total but have worked it out as 38 (not that it’s an exact science!). Bournemouth who I think are in real danger of going down, are on 26 points and relegation form is around a point a game. With 12 games left to play for them, that puts them on 38. It’s very possible it could be higher though, Watford have stalled slightly in their new manager bounce but have the players to fight, West Ham have the best team on paper (but some god awful fixtures they need to get some results from), Villa seem to want to make a fist of it also. If we keep playing well we will be fine but need those 7-9 points for comfort."

I remove the Villa sentiment but I still think 37/38 points for comfort but it could be lower. A quick glance at some of the fixture lists though and you can see which teams are in trouble. If we had no games left to play, and we are on 34 points and the other teams had 11/12 games to play, I still wouldn't be confident of survival, but we will easily get the 4 or so points required and more.