Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: West Ham vs Saints - Build-up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Red View Post
    If you're in the away end take a telescope for when the football is beyond the half way line. Awful ground to watch football.
    Especially if you are up the back of the away stand........differently bad when you are on the lower tier too, got seats down there 1st season they were there, spent most of the half when we were attacking the other end watching the bloody great big screen as depth perception actually watching the game totally went to pot.

I can't make this one. Mixed feelings: I think, or at least hope, that we can get a good win and will be sorry to miss that.

But access to the stadium is pretty awful, no decent pubs nearby, atmosphere is non-existent and view of the game ridiculously bad. There are no good seats. I've been twice, although after the first time I said never again, but gave it a second chance. Mistake.

Please let them.be relegated so I don't have a decision to make next season. Would be hilarious to see the place half empty in the Championship. They struggle to make the place feel like a football stadium when it's full (because it's designed for athletics). Half empty, it'll be like a morgue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I see West Ham have rested Andy Carroll tonight. Saving him for Saturday?

Any advice on best way to get there? I’m arriving in to Euston. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    I see West Ham have rested Andy Carroll tonight. Saving him for Saturday?
    Have I stepped into the Twilight Zone???!!!
    First I thought Dark Munster was mucking about yesterday - turns out he wasn’t.
    Now we have Whelk seeing a new page and re stoking Dark Munsters embers.

for those un sure ANDY CARROLL AKA MY LITTLE DONKEY WENT BACK TO NEWCASTLE IN AUGUST LAST YEAR!!
    So look out for his appearance a week this Saturday in a Newcastle Shirt..

Quote Originally Posted by bangkoksaint View Post
    Any advice on best way to get there? I’m arriving in to Euston. Thanks in advance to everyone.
    Stratford is easy but Hackney Wick is less crowded and has a decent ale bar with outside seating in-between the there and the ground. Personally I'd drink elsewhere then get the tube to arrive about 30 mins before kick off.

Jubilee Line to Stratford

Anyone going who likes video / board games, there's a great pub in Stratford about 15 mins walk from the ground. Good selection of beers and very reasonably priced too.

https://www.escapebarstratford.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rickylambert View Post
    If anyone can help me with a pair I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
    Not sure if any use but apparently tickets were on general sale in the home end , could give that a try. Can join in booing the board for a laugh.

been really impressed with Soucek tonight, just gone off injured. Hopefully out Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    been really impressed with Soucek tonight, just gone off injured. Hopefully out Saturday
    Snodgrass off too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    Snodgrass off too.

Hey Shroppie (re the other thread) I I stand corrected on you standing corrected - Antonio playing in the JWP zone tonight, that said he didn’t look comfortable on the left.

It's one of those games that if we play well, we can win, especially with our form this season away from home. West Ham will no doubt be buoyed by their performance against the invincibles, but I wonder how much they'll have in the tank after a ball-busting effort.

I actually think a draw would be a decent result here, another point for us in the right direction, and it keeps West Ham down there in fear of relegation. Moyes effectively said that the winnable games start now - that makes me want to beat them more than anything, but I still think a draw would be a decent result. We haven't had many draws this season, and from here on out this season, if we can turn the defeats into draws, we can creep up the table.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Hey Shroppie (re the other thread) I I stand corrected on you standing corrected - Antonio playing in the JWP zone tonight, that said he didnít look comfortable on the left.
    Hi JBS. Thanks for that. Yes I noticed too that he was on the left tonight. Would still like to see JWP at RB. He's the sort of strong bullying player our diminutive defenders struggle against and we'll need JWP's new-found mean streak.

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

I think that there will be a few goals in this game. Given our away form I am going for a 3-2 win with Adams to finally break his duck.

16. Default

Groin/abductor injury, apparently.

Would imagine he’s very doubtful for Saturday.

I fully expect Andy Carroll to score and then get injured again to make a recovery just before we play them next

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I fully expect Andy Carroll to score and then get injured again to make a recovery just before we play them next
    No way Carroll will score, Burnley are far too good.

Really want something from this game, it was bad enough that Burnley did the double over us, to think that this lot might as well, is galling.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Really want something from this game, it was bad enough that Burnley did the double over us, to think that this lot might as well, is galling.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    They won't do the double over us. Saints are a much better team than the last time we played them. Close down Antonio and with a little provocation should see him sent off. He gets quite petulant without too much prodding.

Soucek looked good but he's out isn't he? FPL says doubtful but Moyes comments suggested a few weeks.

Amazed how bad they've made Haller. Would love to get him if they went down but bet his wages there make it impossible. With a decent manager he'd do well.

It's strange as while they've been rubbish, they'll still be very dangerous with Bowen, Anderson and Antonio in the attack. There's goals in it for us though, their defence is pathetic and even Fabianski has had some dodgy moments. That said, I'd definitely take him too if they went down, far better than our keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Amazed how bad they've made Haller. Would love to get him if they went down but bet his wages there make it impossible. With a decent manager he'd do well.
    He cost them £45m last summer, Saints aren't going to be buying him.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Yes indeed. You can bet your house on it.

Knowing our luck he'll be fit by the time we play Newcastle, and provide the cross for Carroll's headed winning goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    I canít see Carroll in the goal scorers betting for West Ham. I suppose bookies know he is going to score so donít want to encourage people to win money.

Just had a mooch on Kumb they're sounding quite confident of getting at least a draw, Some so called saints fan has posted basically saying we have no other threats to them apart from ings and keep him quiet and they'll beat us !

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Some so called saints fan has posted basically saying we have no other threats to them apart from ings and keep him quiet and they'll beat us !
    He's obviously forgotten about Shane's nuts!

28. Default

We're well overdue a decent result against this shower and I'm fully expecting we'll get it.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Just had a mooch on Kumb they're sounding quite confident of getting at least a draw, Some so called saints fan has posted basically saying we have no other threats to them apart from ings and keep him quiet and they'll beat us !
    I had a look at KUMB to it's a bit odd, given the respective league positions and general recent form, that saints fans seem quite pessimistic about a result in this game and West ham fans seem strangely confident. I guess our recent games against them have generally favoured West Ham even when they are **** they always seem to pull out a result against us.

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I had a look at KUMB to it's a bit odd, given the respective league positions and general recent form, that saints fans seem quite pessimistic about a result in this game and West ham fans seem strangely confident. I guess our recent games against them have generally favoured West Ham even when they are **** they always seem to pull out a result against us.
    Are saints fans pessimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    He cost them £45m last summer, Saints aren't going to be buying him.
    You know on the pundits thread about people who just state the blindingly obvious as if no one watching has ever seen football before???

I think the overall opinion leans towards optimistic.

If we can keep Antonio quiet (and I'd play JWP at RB as I think Antonio would play on the left and target either Valery or KWP) and defend set pieces, which is their strength, we can outplay them in other areas.

They don't have the quickest defence and if we can get Long running in behind and Djenepo running at them, we'll make chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Donít put too much down as he 1,000,000% will not be playing against us on Saturday.

They've seemed to dislike us since the championship days...odd bunch.

Another comfortable victory in prospect and this time we will take our chances. Boufal hat-trick? Don't bet against it. 4-0 Saints and the Magpies for afters.

Early goal for us and it will turn very toxic very quickly. In fact even 0-0 at half time and it will. Need to not think we're safe already, and go for it. Hope Armstrong is in the side and very much hope Vestergard is not. If he tinkers like that again we will lose, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Imagine we're not as confident as we really want to win there and going to west ham and putting in a rubbish display seems like the sort of thing we'd do. I still think we're a far better side than them overall with a far, far better manager.

For them they are up for it as it's their most winnable game for a while and it could be win or bust. Fine to do ok at city and liverpool and get 0 points but if they don't beat us they're really screwed. Huge pressure but they'll come out flying and have the crowd up for it early on.

If we can hold out the first half without conceding I think we'll win. Just got to be patient and not make any fck ups. Get the crowd on their backs or silent.

Imagine we're not as confident as we really want to win there and going to west ham and putting in a rubbish display seems like the sort of thing we'd do. I still think we're a far better side than them overall with a far, far better manager.

For them they are up for it as it's their most winnable game for a while and it could be win or bust. Fine to do ok at city and liverpool and get 0 points but if they don't beat us they're really screwed. Huge pressure but they'll come out flying and have the crowd up for it early on.

If we can hold out the first half without conceding I think we'll win. Just got to be patient and not make any fck ups. Get the crowd on their backs or silent.
    Exactly this. I'm hoping for a repeat of our game at Selhurst Park.

Get the crowd on their backs or silent.
    Hard to do as they are about 3 miles away from the pitch!

Even if they are, the fans are seated so far away at their stadium that their players won't even notice.

Edit: MLG beat me to it.

Depends if we've lost our previous match.

They’re not really wrong, are they. Take away ings goals this season and we average roughly a goal every 1.5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Theyíre not really wrong, are they. Take away ings goals this season and we average roughly a goal every 1.5 games.
    Thatís exactly how football works statman.

Theyíre not really wrong, are they. Take away ings goals this season and we average roughly a goal every 1.5 games.
    Apparently if you take away all the goals we've scored we'd be bottom of the league with zero wins all season. Really makes you think.

They’re not really wrong, are they. Take away ings goals this season and we average roughly a goal every 1.5 games.
    That's not really how it works is it.

How about if we had 2 Ings rather than Ings and Long. We'd have scored double the goals and be pushing Liverpool. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    That's not really how it works is it.

How about if we had 2 Ings rather than Ings and Long. We'd have scored double the goals and be pushing Liverpool. Or something.
    Then the statement ‘keep ings quiet, you keep us quiet’ wouldn’t be correct..

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Apparently if you take away all the goals we've scored we'd be bottom of the league with zero wins all season. Really makes you think.
    You are correct sir. Like the gentleman who said about keeping ings quiet, is also correct

You are correct sir. Like the gentleman who said about keeping ings quiet, is also correct
    And if Port Vale were on the Moon, they'd be on the moon.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    And if Port Vale were on the Moon, they'd be on the moon.

True story.
    The post said, if you stop ings from scoring, you’ve got a good chance of stopping us from scoring. As the stats show, that’s true. Or do you disagree?

The post said, if you stop ings from scoring, youíve got a good chance of stopping us from scoring. As the stats show, thatís true. Or do you disagree?
    The stats show that if you take away Ings' goals, we don't have Ings' goals. That's all. If Ings weren't here, we would likely have signed a different striker, who may or may not have scored X amount of goals and set up Y.

All you have 'proven' is that if you take away our best player and play with 10 men all season, we aren't very good.