Martin Keown

davefoggy

Are we the only ones allowed to criticise our club? I have seen plenty of criticism on here about our home support. We can dish it out but we can’t take it. As mentioned, even when we had four consecutive top ten finishes and a great performance in a major cup final the flak was flying towards the club from our own supporters. The fact is, he isn’t wrong.

May have been unpalatable hearing it, but more than an element of truth in it.

In defence of our support what has been served up since Koeman left has been pretty shocking and some clubs would have kicked up a major fuss long before.

Although it may not be Keowns place to say it, didn't Ralph allude to the support becoming restless at home in his pre-match interview, and that affecting the players ?. In which case he is only really echoing Ralph's comments.

Are we the only ones allowed to criticise our club? I have seen plenty of criticism on here about our home support. We can dish it out but we can’t take it. As mentioned, even when we had four consecutive top ten finishes and a great performance in a major cup final the flak was flying towards the club from our own supporters. The fact is, he isn’t wrong.

Great post. We've all criticised our own fans on here. In fact i've seen topic threads along the lines of 'Is St Mary's A Problem? & 'Our Home Fans" (normally meaning their ****) ..but as soon as someone from outside the club dares to suggest what has been said on this forum ..then everyone gets all defensive, Strange,

Just out of interest, which fans in this league WOULD be pleased by losing at home to Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton, Burnley, Chelsea, Liverpool, Wolves AND being on the wrong end of a 9-0 in the space of 6 months?

I doubt The Skates were happy at getting done by 4 at home to their rivals. Didn’t stop them getting behind the side though did it. Keown, and Austin before him, are spot on, our home support is shockingly poor. People were streaming out at 1-0 yesterday, WTF? We’ve got a large number of football watchers, as opposed to supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How dare you say that. That cannot be true. I don't remember our lot getting on Pelle's back after 2 games or Tadic's at all.

Yeah I know. I've seen this one fan who continuously slags off Forster and Gunn and being hopeless and never shuts up about them being League 1 'keepers at best. Where do we find these people...

I doubt The Skates were happy at getting done by 4 at home to their rivals. Didn’t stop them getting behind the side though did it. Keown, and Austin before him, are spot on, our home support is shockingly poor. People were streaming out at 1-0 yesterday, WTF? We’ve got a large number of football watchers, as opposed to supporters.

We were right behind our team when we lost 4-1 in the Cup in 2010.

Our home support is no worse than any other team in this league. People leave early at every club, regardless of the score. People have early trains to catch, 2 hour drives, early starts on Sunday, kids who need taking to birthday parties, etc. Like it or not people do have other priorities higher than watching the last 5 minutes of a football game.

I wasn't at the games Pelle was supposedly getting stick in. I'm willing to bet it was a very small, vocal minority and in any case, he seems to still hold us in pretty high regard.

We have become toxic, I don’t know why, I often think about it relative to previous times when we tended to be a happy go lucky bunch. I don’t know what it would take to bring it back. One factor I do believe has had an impact is the recruitment policy of signing bland in character players that we struggle to identify with. Re Martin Keown, I find him to be one of the most intelligent and insightful pundits out there.

We have become toxic, I don’t know why, I often think about it relative to previous times when we tended to be a happy go lucky bunch. I don’t know what it would take to bring it back. One factor I do believe has had an impact is the recruitment policy of signing bland in character players that we struggle to identify with. Re Martin Keown, I find him to be one of the most intelligent and insightful pundits out there.

We're no more or less toxic than any other club. It's the modern football fan for you. When I first started going regularly in the late 80s most people were going not to be entertained but to support and represent their city and club. The support was better and the atmospheres, on average, were better. Now, there are a lot more fans who demand to be entertained and who aren't there to support in the same way as previously.

Keown is a pri*k

Said on MOTD that Saints fans are very difficult to please

He most certainly is not - was a great player and achieved far more than most. He is a pundit on a footy show - what do you expect him to say? Partly I agree with him, and indeed most football fans are hard to please - I'm sure there will be some Bindipper fans unhappy at some of their players even with their (begrudgingly) amazing season. Why is it ok for us to criticise other managers/teams/fans and them not us - although I don't think this was criticism, more an observation that overall with our resources/players/budget we are doing well, and at home our fans should support us more - RH and board have said it in more stronger terms. Truth hurts sometimes.

I am not happy with our home form, but glad we are where we are overall - why we can't do better at home is a complex issue, but one where the fans might be a part of that?

People have early trains to catch, 2 hour drives, early starts on Sunday, kids who need taking to birthday parties, etc. Like it or not people do have other priorities higher than watching the last 5 minutes of a football game.

Like I wrote, Football watchers, rather than supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keown is a pri*k

Said on MOTD that Saints fans are very difficult to please

Like all sweeping generalisations, it is based purely on perception and means absolutely nothing !

A bit like saying “all Germans have no sense of humour “ etc, etc....

Fact is that supporters are an eclectic mix of optimists,pessimists, whiners etc..

If form is good, support is also good and vice versa !

Reacting to a single pundit is a waste of time IMHO !

Personally I’m happy to support the Saints surrounded by the current blend of mixed characters as that is life in football !

He's spot on. Our fans are a bunch of spoiled brats. No matter how good things are going, all it ever takes is a slightly misplaced pass and the moans and groans fill the stadium.

Our fans turn on players or managers extremely quickly and then when they have their head turned by a bigger club, we whinge about there being "No loyalty in modern football" etc.

He's spot on. Our fans are a bunch of spoiled brats. No matter how good things are going, all it ever takes is a slightly misplaced pass and the moans and groans fill the stadium.

Our fans turn on players or managers extremely quickly and then when they have their head turned by a bigger club, we whinge about there being "No loyalty in modern football" etc.

Oh **** off you utter ****. go and watch netball

Redmond's goal probably would have been booed at St Mary's by some for the backwards and sideways passing during it whilst trying to open up Chelsea's defence...

[video=youtube_share;WBOanotjtDY]

100% by the bint who sits behind me and shouts "forward" at any opportunity. Clueless.

Itchen North was pretty good yesterday, good to see a few more lads in block 3 stood up singing.

Normally only a handful of regulars there.

Hopefully that carries on for the rest of the season, now we're in the run in games seem to be much more spread out which should help get bigger crowds. Newcastle up next they usually bring a decent following will help the atmosphere, plus Saturday 3pm. After that we probably won't have a home game for 5 weeks until we meet Man City.

As for Keowns comments, whether he is right or not we've definitely got a reputation for wingeing and not getting behind the team (with recent coverage of Austin's comments) there is an element of truth to that.

I'm good here thank you.

Why did you use netball as an example out of interest?

Are you by any chance one of the fans who groaned when Sunderland got a corner despite us being 8-0 up?

I'm just sick & tired of so called Saints fans who never actually go to the games moaning about how crap the home support is. For what it's worth, I thought the support was good yesterday and we really got behind the team

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-new-season-everton-i-hate-you.107892/

Just a casual look on a couple of similar teams (this season anyway) forum. Unlike us, they're all unanimous in their optimism. They fully support the board, the players, the manager and there is absolutely no infighting or bitterness among keyboard warriors. We could really learn something from this thread.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-new-season-everton-i-hate-you.107892/

Just a casual look on a couple of similar teams (this season anyway) forum. Unlike us, they're all unanimous in their optimism. They fully support the board, the players, the manager and there is absolutely no infighting or bitterness among keyboard warriors. We could really learn something from this thread.

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing. I personally think the world would be a far better place without online forums, and social media in general. Too many people have got far too much to say for themselves (me included)

I know our home form hasn't been great this season but by and large, our home support is utter ****e. Half the stadium just sits there moaning and groaning at every missed placed pass. We get a few renditions of OWTS but that's about it and when we concede it's like a morgue. Rather than moaning about it, if you go to games then make some noise.

Our away support is very good though. Credit where it's due, I always have a sore throat after an away game.

I know our home form hasn't been great this season but by and large, our home support is utter ****e. Half the stadium just sits there moaning and groaning at every missed placed pass. We get a few renditions of OWTS but that's about it and when we concede it's like a morgue. Rather than moaning about it, if you go to games then make some noise.

Our away support is very good though. Credit where it's due, I always have a sore throat after an away game.

I stand in the Itchen North and the support is good there. Which ever bunch of lads moved in there this season just about keep going all game long ( winning or losing) and they try to to vary the songs/ chants. They start and the rest around them join in so around me it's a decent atmosphere most of the time. They can't really help it if the rest of the ground can't be arsed to chime in though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk