Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Which Annoy You

Lighthouse

Another Americanism is rout instead of route.

That's just a different pronunciation, like we have in different parts of the UK, but the previous one is stupid, as Americans promounce the root word buoyany/buoyancy as we do, but when they shorten it they strangle the pronunciation.

I pointed this out to an American teacher I know who insisted boo-eey is more correct, then when I asked him to pronounce buoyant, he refused :lol:

That's just a different pronunciation, like we have in different parts of the UK, but the previous one is stupid, as Americans promounce the root word buoyany/buoyancy as we do, but when they shorten it they strangle the pronunciation.

I pointed this out to an American teacher I know who insisted boo-eey is more correct, then when I asked him to pronounce buoyant, he refused :lol:

We should always remember that American English is a different language to English English.

I am probably wrong, but the actual title of this Thread is grating on me a bit.

"Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Which Annoy You"

Either, "Which Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Annoy You"?

or,

"Grammar and Spelling Mistakes That Annoy You" seem to more suitable to me. (or should it be myself or one?)

I have probably made some pretty basic Punctuation Errors and usage of Capital Letters as well, just to add to the general poor standard of grammar being discussed (not disgust, which is one of my pet hates).

I'm always capitalising titles, I never have been sure if it's correct or not but, to me, it just looks right.

I completely agree with you about the title itsef being grammatically wrong. I'd go for the question starting with "which" out of preference but either of your examples would be correct.

Most of my pet hates (and there are many of them) have already been listed but I have one customer who, when describing something ordinary, consistently uses the phrase "communal garden" .

But* my biggest gripe is the growing tendency for people - footballers being interviewed are a prime - but far from only - example, who start to answer a questuion with "Yeah, no ...." .

*Probably shouldn't start a sentence with "But"

• 3 weeks later...