Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Which Annoy You

Lighthouse

Amazes me how some pundits like Parlour seem to go out of their way to get it wrong.

“He weren’t” followed by “they wasn’t”

Genuinely don’t know how these people hear others speaking correctly and don’t pick up that they don’t (or doesn’t)

Amazes me how some pundits like Parlour seem to go out of their way to get it wrong.

“He weren’t” followed by “they wasn’t”

Genuinely don’t know how these people hear others speaking correctly and don’t pick up that they don’t (or doesn’t)

There are parts of the country where such terminology is common and posh people such as you and I/me would be uncommon.

Effect and affect. They mean different things.

That is a wonky one, as somewhere along the line in a certain context they can switch to what the other should not be. I looked it up only the other day as something I was writing just didn't look right, saw the difference then saw the possible occasion when it could switch and thought - thanks for that internet!

Maybe it was deliberately ironic that the author of the thread title incorrectly capitalized every word apart from "and".

I was always taught that was an acceptable way of capitalising a title. Arguably the word 'which' shouldn't have a capital but I believe it to be otherwise correct.

I was always taught that was an acceptable way of capitalising a title. Arguably the word 'which' shouldn't have a capital but I believe it to be otherwise correct.

It is. Wes is wrong. How unlikely is that? Plus he spelt capitalized with a Z which is an Americanism not British English. I thought we were taking back control.

I’ve got loads! But a couple of the worst ones for me is when people get ‘to’ and ‘too’ wrong. It’s even worse, in my opinion, when they use ‘too’ instead of ‘to’ for some reason, rather than the other way round.

Starting sentences with ‘so’. Using ‘like’ or ‘literally’ all the time.

Are, instead of our......

......I could go on, but I’ll stop for now!

It's not a spelling error, but the messed up way that most Americans pronounce "buoy." it's buoy short for buoyancy numbnuts not "booee".

Buoy a noun. A buoy is a floating marker that indicates the presence of underwater hazards, channels, or places for tying up boats. When buoy is a verb, it can mean to float like a buoy, literally or figuratively.

Try living in Australia, they are as bad as the Americans, if not worse.

Starting a sentence with So...

Can I get? instead of can I have?

So I was driving to work this morning and my son (seven) says, “Daddy, why don’t some people have enough to eat? I will give them my dinner.” Be like my son.

#proud #humble #caring

People who say 'pacific' or 'pacifically'. I'm not even going to set the context.

I know some genuinely intelligent people who do this. It makes my eye twitch every time I hear it.

My former boss is one of these, and wasn't happy when I asked if he was being 'pacific' could I be 'atlantic'. Another of his annoying verbal tics was "part and partial".

I am probably wrong, but the actual title of this Thread is grating on me a bit.

"Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Which Annoy You"

Either, "Which Grammar and Spelling Mistakes Annoy You"?

or,

"Grammar and Spelling Mistakes That Annoy You" seem to more suitable to me. (or should it be myself or one?)

I have probably made some pretty basic Punctuation Errors and usage of Capital Letters as well, just to add to the general poor standard of grammar being discussed (not disgust, which is one of my pet hates).

I've mentioned it a few times, but the inability to use the correct pronoun annoys me. People seem to choose the reflexive version to try to sound more intelligent/important, when it is simply incorrect.

You can't say "David and myself were in a meeting.", just as you can't say "Myself was in a meeting.".

You can't say "He spoke to David and myself." , just as you can't say "He spoke to myself.".

I think this piece of idiocy is the most common poor grammar I hear and, oddly, always from people who think they sound more impressive saying "myself" instead of "I" or "me". The same also applies to himself, yourself etc. Anyone who does this is simply a ****.